homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Change Quote by One Letter (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Change Quote by One Letter
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Change a famous quote or quip by one letter (add, subtract, substitute, or transpose) and attribute it to someone else.

PLEASE: ONE PER POST.

Examples:

Jeffrey Dahmer: "What foods these mortals be!"

Michael Jackson: "Here's looking at your kid."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"If you're going through Hull, keep on going."

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"What doesn't kill you makes you stranger."

(This is indeed true in my life.)

Bother, missed the bit about attribution, sorry.

[ 18. April 2013, 15:43: Message edited by: birdie ]

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Once more unto the beach, dear friends, once more!"

Prince Harry plans his summer holidays.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Same letter, in same word, so I hope it qualifies:

"Those who mine don't matter, and those who matter don't mine".

(late) Lady Thatcher.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Thou shalt not omit adultery." Casanova.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Read my lips: no new taxis."

George H. W. Bush, President of the Washington, DC taxi drivers' cartel.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Ask not what your country can do for yo; ask what yo can do for your country."

John F. Kennedy, commenting on the mistaken notion that slang is a cultural phenomenon.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

"I feel your rain."

Bill Clinton, celebrating the end of the drought with Arkansas farmers.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I hate a dream" - MLK, after a particularly bad nightmare.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The audacity of hops."

Barack Obama's comment on the White House Honey Porter.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
" I have a dram " - MLK find a fresh bottle of malt

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be tight."

George Osborne

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
" Go nest, young man " - Mrs Greeley's encouragement to her marriage averse son

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

"They shall grow not cold, as we that are left grow cold " - and how many of us have wished that were true on a chilly Remembrance Sunday morning, eh? [Biased]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

" While shepherds watched their flocks by light,
All heated on the ground,
The angle of the Lord came down,
And, gory, shone around.
"

Two for the price of One: A Nightmare on Elm Street meets A Christmas Carol.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Tale of Twa Cities

Glasgae 'n' Embra.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"A Penn saved is a penny earned."

Benjamin Franklin, commenting on what the church might expect to find in the collection basket after the baptism of the founder of Pennsylvania.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"We'll always have pairs."

Hopeful gambler to his partner

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An editor inadvertently re-wrote Shakespeare's piece about Richard III losing his trousers. The line should have been
quote:
A hose, a hose, my kingdom for a hose

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Fear not, Marry !"

Gabe misunderstands the message he's to deliver.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"You cannot cool all of the people all of the time."

Wise advice that reminds us that anger management courses are not for everyone.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"What I think was behind it? Being hosers!"

Uncle of the Boston Bombing suspects, blaming Canada.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

"What fools these portals be!"

--Arthur Dent on obnoxious sentient doorways from the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

"What a piece of work is a fan."

Hamlet, ventilation salesman.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

"I am that merry wanderer of the right!"

Mark Sanford, explaining how much he enjoys "hiking the Appalachian trail"

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

"It was the best of limes, it was the worst of limes."

Jimmy Buffet, on problems with a recent margarita.

Aside to LC: Lovely reference re. Sanford's "hiking." [Big Grin]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A small stop for man, a giant leap for mankind.

My spelling teacher, exagerrating a bit about the use of proper punctuation.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

So man is an island, -- John Donne, commenting on the isolation of the individual.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

"Heath, be not proud."

John Donne, Thatcher supporter.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

But how can this thread not mention the great work of Mr Bowdler?

Having been sent to a school where "waste not, want not" was almost a religion, we still used a Bowdler edition of Shakespeare.

None of us ever had any trouble in understanding Othello's motivation, having read " She played the trumpet in his bed... " - well, wouldn't YOU be moved to strangle? [Killing me]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Big Blue football team about to play Wisconsin:

"Badgers? We don't need no stinking badgers."

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

"Choice dependent on wealth; those are the Tony words."

Yep, Tony, we are sooo glad you've finally admitted it. And how you've been living it since leaving office!!

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

On the memorial in Highgate Cemetery

Workers of the world untie,
You have nothing to lose but your chins!

[Snigger]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Sign at baker's, on Good Friday:

Happiness is a warm bun.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Once more unto the beach, once more"

Another happy family holiday.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Medieval warrior, to his arrow:

"Do not go gentle into that good knight."

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

"I know the British people and they are not passengers - they are divers."

That's right, Dave. We're scouring the seabed to look for all that treasure that's suddenly disappeared in the shipwreck of our economy!

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

" L'etat, c'est mo "

Cut-off in his prime, I fear.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're not in kangas anymore!

A Kenyan woman activist, denouncing that women in her country have westernized their clothing too much.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The port you have always with you.

The Earl of Grantham to the guest who hogs the decanter instead of sending it round.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Naomi, to Boaz:

"You can't handle the Ruth!"

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moses, instructing the Israelites on the first Passover:

"Imagine there's no leaven - it's easy if you try."

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus wet.

Edited out of the gospels. A natural result of falling asleep in a fishing boat during a storm.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Julie thought she smelled something familiar arising from the shrubbery below her balcony...

Romeo,Romeo! Wherefore fart thou, Romeo?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

My mind to me a kinkdom is said Dr. Lector, -just so long as no-one checks my downloads.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Loose hips sink ships -- dire warning against the dangers of onboard dancing.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

The loved on

Casanova just kept going.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had Nathan Hale been a coward, he still wouldn't have been a bigamist.

I only regret that I have but one wife to lose for my country.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Alice, on being too busy to die:

Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for Mel.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016