homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How Do You Eat Spaghetti? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: How Do You Eat Spaghetti?
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is provoked by finding out that Eldest Son, age 30, eats spaghetti with a knife and fork. Most of the family uses a fork and spoon but I use a fork. None of us are remotely Italian, ethnically or culturally, although Elder Daughter could pass as Neapolitan through her colouring.

What do you do?

This poll has been moved to another board.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child, I was taught to eat it with a knife and a fork (I think my parents still eat it this way). I only learned the fork and spoon method later (which is what I use now).

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone in my family (Italian) uses fork alone. Many people do twirl the fork in the bowl of a spoon, but that is strictly an informal way of eating -- OK for family gatherings but never done in public.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We spent the day with some friends recently, and they provided a separate children's dinner for their children and the Cnihtlets first, then sent the kids off to play while the adults ate.

Kiddie dinner was spaghetti bolognese; our host served a portion for each child, then immediately took a knife and fork and made several criss-cross cuts on each plate, cutting the spaghetti into short bits.

I was thoroughly confused - that just makes the spaghetti maximally hard to eat. If you don't want to serve long strands of spaghetti, fine - serve penne or something.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Leorning Cniht: I was thoroughly confused - that just makes the spaghetti maximally hard to eat.
I don't understand what you find so difficult about it? I guess the spaghetti has to be thoroughly mixed with the sauce to make it rather sticky. Then you just cut it into small bits with knife and fork, you balance one of these bits on a fork and put it into your mouth.

Granted, it isn't a very sophisticated way to eat spaghetti, but I ate it like this when I was a child and I didn't find it that hard.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And are shipmates serving spaghetti with a pool of sauce in the middle [Eek!] or properly, with the pasta added to the sauce, mixed thoroughly and then served?

Not only does it make it much easier to serve but also to eat, plus looking better on the plate.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't answer this poll. Sometimes I use a knife and fork, sometimes I use a fork and spoon.

Sometimes I break the spaghetti into short pieces into the saucepan of boiling water to cook it, because I'm too impatient to ease it in gently, also that way, the first end cooks before the last end. Sometimes I don't.

Sometimes I mix the spaghetti sauce all the way through the pasta. Sometimes I plonk it on the top. Sometimes I add grated cheese but not always.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use a fork and spoon usually, sometimes just a fork. My kids are supposed to use fork and spoon but more usually they just use a fork in the shovel and slurp method [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I put the sauce on top.

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Always with a fork and always with the sauce stirred through.And always with a napkin handy....

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use just a fork. Always thought the spoon was unnecessary.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use just a fork, biting off the dangly bits when necessary.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... Elder Daughter could pass as Neapolitan through her colouring.

She has white, pink, and brown stripes?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a fork, although sometimes in a restaurant, if they provide a big spoon, I'll roll it on my fork using the spoon. Especially if it's slippery angel hair, sometimes your fork needs a little help.

Now, the next question: Do you eat it off a plate or in a bowl?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
quote:

After uneven sunbathing, possibly.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was shown that the "correct" way to eat spaghetti was to twirl it around a fork. When preparing pasta at home, we usually use penne or suchlike, as it was easier for Lord P to manage, especially when he was younger.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really thought this was a question of slurping or not, or wearing the sauce on one's clothing, or not.

I usually tuck a bib onto my blouse, because I use the fork to twirl the spaghetti, and splatter sauce all over myself. (Saved for dessert later.)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A fork alone in public. At home, the boys and I tease an end to the edge of the plate and slurp worms. [Big Grin]

I may not be a classy mama but I'm always fun.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Quotes File! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I chose a fork, because that's what I use in public on the rare occasions that I eat spaghetti in public.

At home, I use a spoon and a bowl. The sauce is always mixed into the spaghetti. Or vice-versa. Depends how I feel... or which is the bigger pot.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
PeteC: At home, I use a spoon and a bowl.
Do you twirl the spaghetti around your spoon?

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Leorning Cniht: I was thoroughly confused - that just makes the spaghetti maximally hard to eat.
I don't understand what you find so difficult about it?
If you're going to cut the spaghetti into small bits and scoop with a fork, my local grocery store sells a very large number of different shapes of pasta, at the same price per pound, which are more convenient for scooping and don't tend to slip between the tines of a fork.

The only advantage of spaghetti is its wrap-around-a-forkability.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Leorning Cniht: If you're going to cut the spaghetti into small bits and scoop with a fork, my local grocery store sells a very large number of different shapes of pasta, at the same price per pound, which are more convenient for scooping and don't tend to slip between the tines of a fork.
But perhaps some people like chopped-up spaghetti?

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
But perhaps some people like chopped-up spaghetti?

Perhaps so - it just seems rather unnecessary to me.
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, here's the thing that really and truly annoys me about some of you rubes—what do you mean, you mix the sauce in with the pasta? If you do that, all you get is an undifferentiated morass of schtuff, rather than the properly separated but intermixible combination of pasta, then sauce, then, if you want it, grated cheese/garnish/chile pepper/olive oil. It makes the presentation much nicer, it allows you to have a few bites of pasta without the topping just to get the flavor, and it allows you to control the sauce/pasta ratio you want for each individual bite. If I wanted a mixture of pasta and liquid, I would have made noodle soup, not spaghetti.

Oh, and I twirl the fork against the plate, even if both my parents insist quite firmly that the only polite way to do it is against the spoon.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in the spoon-and-fork camp; if a restaurant doesn't provide a spoon, I'll use the fork/edge-of-plate gambit (I had no idea that was regarded as infra dig). I add the pasta to the sauce on the stove-top, mix it a bit and serve it in a warmed dish.

Someone mentioned plates or bowls; I have a couple of plates that have slightly raised edges giving a very shallow bowl effect - not deep enough to serve soup, but perfect for pasta.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
PeteC: At home, I use a spoon and a bowl.
Do you twirl the spaghetti around your spoon?
Yes. I have been also known to break the pasta into pieces. But I'm spastic, and there are some days when I am really spastic and those are the days I break it to make it easier to eat with a spoon.

In India, if the pasta is cooked by residents, it is always broken. Lots and lots of sauce. Spoons are the only way to go.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lived with a Chinese-Italian family for a while so my first taste of non-tinned pasta was spaghetti bolognese served with pickled vegetables, parmesan and eaten with chopsticks.

These days I use a fork and when I am in Italy I seem to be doing pretty much the same as everyone else.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Has anyone tried to vote twice? Love the message!

Thanks to everyone who has participated, couple of days to go yet.

Sioni

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Now, here's the thing that really and truly annoys me about some of you rubes—what do you mean, you mix the sauce in with the pasta?

Apparently this is what they do in Italy, or so I was told.

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
I lived with a Chinese-Italian family for a while so my first taste of non-tinned pasta was spaghetti bolognese served with pickled vegetables, parmesan and eaten with chopsticks.

Chinese noodles are quite similar to spaghetti anyway. Were you expected to slurp your Chinese spaghetti? I'm told they're very keen on slurping noodles in the Far East, to show appreciation.
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have trouble imagining how a spoon helps. Is that some kind of Welsh thing? If one fork was not enough (whyever not?) two forks would be easier than fork and spoon surely?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You pick up a few noodles with the very end of the fork, then you place the tips against the inside of the bowl of the spoon - spoon and fork are at right angles to oneanother - and you twirl the fork while keeping the tines touching the spoon. The result is a tightly wound mass of spaghetti and sauce that, hopefully, just fills your mouth and is not too much of a mouthful otherwise you must dump that out and begin again. (Unless you are a boy and like being gross when you eat.)

I grew up having my spaghetti cut up on the plate by mom or dad. I never had any troubles eating it with a fork. Once we younger ones were old enough to twirl the spaghetti successfully, it was broken in half before cooking so that we had a shorter amount to twirl and then, once that was mastered, we could have the full length of spaghetti. Needless to say, my mother was motivated by keeping the tablecloth and us clean.

I too always mix the sauce with the pasta in the kitchen. To me, I prefer when it coats the pasta and I find it tastes better.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I use just a fork, biting off the dangly bits when necessary.

[Smile]

I hate it when somebody bites off my dangly bits.

(seriously this is what I do also)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Were you expected to slurp your Chinese spaghetti? I'm told they're very keen on slurping noodles in the Far East, to show appreciation.

But of course! Unfortunately slurping bolognese sauce causes wallpaper staining...
Aelred of Riveaux
Shipmate
# 12833

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Riveaux     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have the co-ordination for spaghetti, so its the myriad of other pasta shapes for me.

I've heard that certain pastas are supposed to be eaten with certain sauces. I don't and can't imagine it would make much of a difference since the pasta is made of the same thing (unless you're using chickpea/buckwheat/corn pasta instead of wheat). Do shipmates stick to particular shapes with certain sauces and if they do does it make a difference?

[ 20. May 2013, 19:57: Message edited by: Aelred of Riveaux ]

Posts: 161 | From: Cambridge UK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I realize that while reading this thread I was eating Chinese noodles (and not slurping them) with a spoon and knife.

(That should be enough to get me thrown out of any pasta house in the Far East.)

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like using a fork, twirling long or medium length spaghetti. Short bits of spaghetti annoy the heck out of me.

LeRoc:
quote:
I guess the spaghetti has to be thoroughly mixed with the sauce to make it rather sticky. Then you just cut it into small bits with knife and fork, you balance one of these bits on a fork and put it into your mouth.
I haven't found a sauce sufficiently sticky enough, I guess. To me this sounds like a culinary torment. [brick wall]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Perhaps so - it just seems rather unnecessary to me.

Well, this subject came up in connection with children. Although there is no taste difference between spaghetti and penne and the latter would indeed be handier, my three year old nephew loves spaghetti but wouldn't touch penne. You're welcome to try to convince him that this isn't logical [Biased]

quote:
Lyda*Rose: I haven't found a sauce sufficiently sticky enough, I guess. To me this sounds like a culinary torment. [brick wall]
Again, I ate it like this when I was a child, I wouldn't like it now. I just don't see why it would be difficult to eat in this way.

quote:
ken: I have trouble imagining how a spoon helps.
You use the spoon as some kind of mini-bowl that for twisting the spaghetti with your fork.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aelred of Riveaux:
... Do shipmates stick to particular shapes with certain sauces and if they do does it make a difference?

Yes - IMHO the consistency of the sauce sort of dictates the kind of pasta that'll go with it.

I make a sauce with chopped pancetta, garlic, Philly cheese and tomatoes which is quite thick and fairly sticky, and works well with spaghetti; macaroni is better for cheese sauce because the sauce flows into the pasta tubes; and I do a chicken, tomato and mushroom sauce that's slightly runnier and works with fusilli twists.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
quote:

Quotes File! [Big Grin]
Do you have 'Neapolitan' ice cream in the US? I thought it was a UK thing. It's a 3-stripe block comprising chocolate, vanilla and strawberry flavours. I'm sure no actual person from Naples would recognise it!

Anyway, back to spaghetti - I usually find it too messy and have other forms of pasta instead. But when I eat it, definitely fork and spoon.

Mind you, it's only 30 years since spaghetti in the UK only came in a tin covered in gloopy tomato sauce, and was eaten on top of toast. Baby steps...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Do you have 'Neapolitan' ice cream in the US? I thought it was a UK thing. It's a 3-stripe block comprising chocolate, vanilla and strawberry flavours. I'm sure no actual person from Naples would recognise it!

it's a classic. I had some last night!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

I was eating in the early fifties. World wide flavour...at least in the West.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find spaghetti ridiculously difficult to eat, but my wife loves it. Therefore whenever she insists on us having some I spend a few minutes chopping mine up into small pieces so that I can actually get the stuff into my mouth without making an ungodly mess.

Yes, I may as well just have penne. And in fact I would greatly prefer to just have penne. But then either my wife wouldn't have spaghetti or we'd have to boil two different kinds of pasta, neither of which is a desirable option.

I do the same thing when we have tagliatelle as well. Though oddly, noodles don't bother me. I have never before considered how strange that is.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am deeply saddened, deeply saddened I tell you, by the number of plebs in the world [Disappointed]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Do you have 'Neapolitan' ice cream in the US? I thought it was a UK thing.

I'm surprised to learn that it's not exclusively US. As people have said, it's certainly known here.

I once heard a rather odd Trinity Sunday sermon comparing the Trinity to Neapolitan ice cream: three flavors, one container (hey, it's a change from shamrocks!) After the service, we learned we were having Trinity ice cream on the courtyard - but the chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla were being served from separate tubs.

I told the rector (who had not preached that sermon) that the ice cream was clearly heretical, in light of the sermon we'd heard.

She didn't bat an eye. She said, "Yes, that's called a la modalism".

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate pasta of all forms, so I've never eaten spaghetti in public in a restaurant, where I have a choice of meal. On the very rare occasions that I've been served it - at a friend's for an evening meal ("Oh everyone likes spag bol, don't they?" I was too polite to disavow her of the misapprehension...) - or at a communal meal at a conference centre - I cut the spaghetti up into the smallest pieces with knife and fork and shovel it all in with the fork. That is just the simplest, most effective, and least messy way of getting the stuff off the plate and into my mouth. I'll leave twirling the stuff round a fork and getting trails of sauce down the chin, and dribbles of sauce down the shirtfront, to the purists. [Two face]
Angus

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
She didn't bat an eye. She said, "Yes, that's called a la modalism".

[Killing me]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Gill H
Mind you, it's only 30 years since spaghetti in the UK only came in a tin covered in gloopy tomato sauce, and was eaten on top of toast. Baby steps...

err, No.

There were Italian restaurants serving proper spaghetti in most cities by the 1960s.

And there were specialist grocery shops wherever there was an Italian community.

To put it another way, my family (Welsh) was cooking and eating proper pasta in the 1950s even when in rural Cheshire...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

In the rural area of the Netherlands I grew up in, Italian food was still something of a novelty when I was a child in the Seventies. I think I ate my first pizza in my late teens.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child, we used our fingers, and then went into the bath. This can still be rather fun as a adult, especially if you're drunk or amorous or both, and eating with a friend. The choice is your's, whether to take your shirt off after eating the spags or before, though before can be slightly distracting if you're eating with a special someone....

Thy two breasts are like two meatballs that are twins, upon which I feed among the noodles. Let me come into her garden, and eat her pleasant tomato sauce. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Spaghetti.

Thus, I say the poll is flawed. There is no option for naked spaghetti eating with the fingers.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016