homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Alternative Alphabets (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Alternative Alphabets
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Q is for the "quick and the dead". And sometimes God has granted me quick thinking on the road in order that I might stay "quick" and not be dead.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
R is for Redemption. And Revelation. And maybe even Reformation. [Snigger]
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

- Posted      Profile for AndyB   Author's homepage   Email AndyB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
N is for Not here which probably applies to most of the parish, and certainly applies to Amanda's post on the previous page.

Back on schedule, S is for salvation, sacred, singing, standing, sitting, speaking...

Posts: 149 | From: Belfast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
T is for the Trinity by which God plays hide-and-seek with us and tangles our poor brains.

[ 05. June 2013, 19:23: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
U is for Unconditional Love. Which means that God and my little dog are quite similar.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
V is for Variety. The diversity in God's creation protects us from boredom and enriches our lives.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
W is for Westminster Abbey, the hotel God stays in when he's visiting the Queen.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Into the Quotes File you go, Miss Amanda! [Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're very kind.

So let's move this round on to its conclusion:

X is for Chi Ro, which would be God's avatar if he were a Shipmate.

[ 06. June 2013, 12:52: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Y is for You, which is not the correct way to address God. [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Z is for Zoological Gardens which God gave us through the Divine example of Noah.

Next Alphabet: Speaking of zoo, can you name an animal, bird, reptile, etc., mentioned in The Bible, AND give a brief reference (NO, not chapter & verse, please) ? I'll start with A

A Asp upon whose hole the child may play

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

B is for Bat, as unclean as the stork, heron or lapwing.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

C is for Camels of Midian

--------------------
Oinkster

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
D is for donkey of Bethlehem

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
D is for Dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan.
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

E is for eagles. Deuteronomy says do NOT eat eagles!

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

F is for Fishes and Loaves -- need we say more?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

G is for Goats who will be in the Wrong Place on Judgement Day.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
H is for Heron which, along with the bat, stork and lapwing, will not attract the attention of the Israeli hunters.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ibis - mentioned twice in the Old Testament, and worshipped by the Egyptians.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
J is for Juda's Lion who won the fight, according to the St. John Pssion.

[ 08. June 2013, 10:46: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ćbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

K bring a Kid of the goats- a male without blemish...

--------------------
Oinkster

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lions, lambs, lying down. Or at least that's the popularized version of it.

link

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

M is for Mule, like unto which (along with the horse) be ye not, for they have no understanding (in the Psalms).

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
N is for Noah's menagerie, which was pretty comprehensive in its day.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ćbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

O is for your neighbor's oxen, which you may not covet any more than you may covet your neighbor's wife.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
P is for peacock, arriving by ship
From Tarshish they came on a one-way trip.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Q is for quail, which came with manna (but without the complaint the latter generated).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

R is for the rooster that crowed three times on Maunday Thursday

--------------------
Oinkster

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
R is for Raven, the first bird to leave the Ark.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

S is for Serpent -- and we all know where that one got us!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

T is for Turtle(dove), whose voice shall be heard in the land (Song of Solomon)

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

U is for Unicorn. As any fule doth knowe, the lovely unicorn is Our Blessed Lady's favorite pet. How anyone could imagine her cuddling a rhinoceros or ox on her lap is beyond me.

--------------------
Oinkster

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

V is for Viper, eating the eggs of which will cause death (at least according to Isaiah).

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
W is for the Whale which did not swallow Jonah.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Yes it did - but it spat him out again. [Big Grin]

[devious answer alert]
X is the Roman numeral for 10, the number of plagues, which must have been some sort of wee beastie or other ...

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Y (with liberties): So the LORD blessed the latter end of Job. . . . blah blah, and a thousand yoke-of-oxen. . That's a lot of beef.

--------------------
Oinkster

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Z is for Zebra; if there hadn't been a couple of them in the Ark, there wouldn't be any now, would there?

How about an alphabet for musicians?

A is for Allegro: for a musician it means quite fast, for a motorist it ... doesn't. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
B is for Bass: an instrument, a voice, a clef. Also a fish, but that's for another game.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C is for Counter-tenor, a terribly difficult register to sing in.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

D is for diminuendo: Fade away, fade away . . .fade away all.

--------------------
Oinkster

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

E is for Etude, so tricky to play.

--------------------

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
F is for forte, the decibel level beginners normally excel at [Biased]

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
G is for glissando, a gentle shimmering cascade of notes (and so especially appropriate for Baptists).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

H is for harpers harping on their harps.

--------------------
Oinkster

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I is for Interval, the distance between notes; or the bit in the opera when the gentlemen of the chorus go down the pub (well they did when our local lot in Orkney did Iolanthe).

Fully dressed as the House of Peers. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
J is for Janacek, a composer who wrote some pretty darned good stuff including From the House of the Dead, a rather disturbing opera.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
K is for Key signature - a quick glance and a prayer that it won't have too many squiggles in it and be totally impossible to play... especially for the first hymn.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

L is for Led Zeppelin

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

M is for Mendelssohn whose Octet is one of my all time favourite pieces.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016