homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Alternative Alphabets (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Alternative Alphabets
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I is for Ilyushin, builders of transport aircraft in recent years.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I is for Industria Aeronautică Română, makers of the Vultur, Socat and lots of planes with numerical names.

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
J is for Junkers, builders of the Stuka dive-bomber,the versatile Ju88 fighter/bomber, and the splendid corrugated-iron Ju52 Trimotor.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
K is for Kalinin another Russian plane builder. One wonders if designs like the K-7 bomber persuaded Stalin to arrest the head of the design bureau.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L has to be for Lockheed - maker of the Constellation, surely the greatest piston-engine airliner of them all?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
M is for the Glenn L. Martin Company, maker of the B-26 Marauder, latterly Martin Marietta by merger and yet more latterly Lockheed Martin which may put us in an infinite loop back to L if we're not careful.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

(Quickly then ...) Northrop Aircraft - now merged with Grumman but we won't go there.

Phew!

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O is for OGMA , or Indústria Aeronáutica de Portugal. If you click on the link you will find out why the acronym begins with an O but the full company name doesn't...
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Pis for Piper Aircraft, light aircraft makers par excellence. We had a flying school across the road from our school, with Cherokees across our roof every few minutes.
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Q

There actually seems to have been a company called the QUICKIE AIRCRAFT CORP. , maker of kits for building your own light 1- and 2-seater plane.

[ 26. June 2013, 00:17: Message edited by: roybart ]

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Q

There actually seems to have been a company called the QUICKIE AIRCRAFT CORP. , maker of kits for building your own light 1- and 2-seater plane.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
R is for Rolls Royce, makers of aero engines including the famous Merlin (used in the Spitfire and various other WWII aircraft). Also for Charles Stewart Rolls, pioneer aviator.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

S for Supermarine, makers of the second most beautiful aircraft (see previous post).

(FWIW the most beautiful is this, but YMMV)

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

So where does that leave the good old Constellation? - which has a very similar kind of beauty, I grant you.

T is for Tupolev, maker of the world's first successful jet airliner (after the Comet, before the Carvelle) and also, of course, of "Concordski".

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
U is for the Good Ol' U.S.A., and the U-2 spy plane. The real builder was Lockheed-Martin Skunk Works.

I know this is a cheat, but, hey, if you have a better "U", play it. [Smile]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I reckon tht U is fine, as no one knew who or what the Skunk Works was until Gary Powers was shot down.

V is for Vickers, who could also be considered the builders of the Spitfire as they owned Supermarine, but they produced generation after generation of bombers for the RAF and the Viscount turboprop airliner which even the Americans bought!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one is expired! Sioni, how about starting a new topic - - unless anyone has a W,X,Y or Z.

PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

W is for Westland Helicopters (anybody remember the big scandal in the 1980s?)

X is for Xian Aircraft Company in China

OK, somebody else can do Y and Z - and I must admit, I cheated and looked on Wikipedia for X.

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Y is for Yak, a small warplane made several decades ago.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Might we cheat a bit and have Z for the infamous Mitsubishi Zero fighter?

Someone else start the next thread please ...

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

How about operas?

A is for Aida - an opera I would love to perform in, but probably never will because our company could never afford the camels and elephants...

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

The Barber of Seville (I presume definite articles don't count) - so are we in Spain, Italy or even France?
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cenerentola or Cinderella to her friends.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dialogues des Carmelites by Poulenc - a cheerful tale of the martyrdom of nuns during the French revolution.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Ernani - haven't a clue about it, but I know it exists. It's by that guy Joe Green again.

[ 03. July 2013, 06:51: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For F we have to have Fidelio, Ludwig Van B's one and only - which I have neither heard nor seen.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

H is for Les Huguenots by Meyerbeer - not much chance of ever seeing this performed either...
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Oh dear, we missed G so I give you Prokofiev's The Gambler.

[ 03. July 2013, 11:05: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

I is for Iphigénie en Tauride (Iphigenia in Tauris), an opera by Christoph Willibald Gluck

n.b.: There is also Iphigenia in Brooklyn, by P.D.Q. Bach, which is a good deal more entertaining.

--------------------
Oinkster

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and there was me thinking you'd pick Purcell's The Indian Queen [Big Grin]

For J I'll go for Dvorak's The Jacobin.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Back to Central Europe for Janacek's Katya Kabanova.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

For L I think out of a multitude of choices I think we'll go for Lady Macbeth of Mtensk by Shostakovich.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

What about going for her Italian husband, Macbeth himself, to follow?

Or will all this mention of Scottishness do something nasty to our computers?

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nabucco, by Verdi. Title character better known as Nebuchadnezzar.

[ 03. July 2013, 15:23: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For O, I suggest L'Orfeo

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For P: Parsifal, by Wagner.

[ 03. July 2013, 16:15: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Parsifal, seeker of the Holy Grail.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Q has to be The Queen of Spades by Tchaikowski.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

R is for the gorgeous Der Rosencavalier

--------------------
Oinkster

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

[Hot and Hormonal] apologies for the upthread cross-post. Parsifal in stereo is more than enough for anyone.

Next in the list, S for Samson and Delilah

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Tannhauser.

Or (if you wish to stay awake) Turandot.

Or, for meditating: Thais.

PLEASE CAN WE HAVE SOME MOZART (can I reserve Z?)

[ 03. July 2013, 21:06: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

For U I think we are pretty much limited to either Hoffmann or Lortzing who both made versions of Undine.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

(can I reserve Z?) Sure, TF,you can have it, although I can't imagine what you have in mind [Biased]

For V I submit Vanessa by Samuel Barber. [I did consider "Venus and Adonis" by John Blow, which I think ought to be revived]

--------------------
Oinkster

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

W just has to be Die Walkure which has the advantage of being a lot more fun than Siegfried! As Rossini is reputed to have said, Wagner has glorious moments and tedious half hours!

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A gift! A veritable gift! It has to be Xerxes, by Handel. Also known as Serse in Eyetalian. Best known for Ombra ma fu AKA "Handel's Largo" which is a love song sung by a Persian emperor to to a tree.

(And Walkure is not more fun than Siegfried!)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Only one candidate for Y that I can think of and that is Yolanta by Tchaikowski.

That now leaves the field wide open for Baptist Trainfan...

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

... to jump in with Die Zauberflote by Mozart. Hurrah!

I will forebear to ask us to start a list of Great Locomotive Designers - however what about Inventors and Scientists? Could prove a challenge (you have to say what they invented or discovered) ...

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I thought you'd choose the Mozart.

For inventors, etc. I'll start with Sir Richard Arkwright, inventor of the spinning or water frame.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

B eh? It has to be Charles Babbage - inventor of the Difference Engine.
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C for Anders Celsius of temperature scale fame.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016