homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Royal Baby (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Royal Baby
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have your say!

This poll has been moved to another board.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Royal Baby was already born 9.5 years ago and her name is Amalia [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I read the results correctly the child will grow to resemble Auntie Pippa.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I'm waiting for some pedant to come along and point out that you don't (or maybe do) get two-headed lizards from Gallifrey.)

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whut? Tain't here yet?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
(I'm waiting for some pedant to come along and point out that you don't (or maybe do) get two-headed lizards from Gallifrey.)

Wait no longer. You are that pedant.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Royal baby? Which queen is pregnantnow?

...and no, it's not me!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Willandkate's, in July, of course. We haven't had a great deal of run-up to it so far, but once it happens it will be the only Royal Baby, anywhere, ever, and the media won't let us forget it.

I'm hoping for another Bank Holiday, though as it will be short notice we might not get one this year.

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want a Queen (just because I want to see the Commonweath convulsed in bureaucratic and legislative nightmares to change their succession laws), but, more importantly, I want our friends in the Commonweath to also get an extra day off, because, really, why not? Who doesn't like an extra holiday every once in a while?
Yesterday/today was/is my birthday, and it'd be a lot better if I knew other people were getting a chance to sleep in because of me.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
...Yesterday/today was/is my birthday,...

Good grief, 92! I hope you had a good day.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I want a Queen (just because I want to see the Commonwealth convulsed in bureaucratic and legislative nightmares to change their succession laws),

Haven't they already done that?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That baby would be way more interesting if it were a two-headed lizard from Gallifrey!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Who doesn't like an extra holiday every once in a while?

Employers.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
quote:
Who doesn't like an extra holiday every once in a while?

Employers.
or contractors who face the choice when an extra bank holiday gets sprung on us of losing a day from their holiday entitlement or losing a days money, or temps who don't even get that choice but just loose a days wages, or people in the hospitality industry for whom an extra bank holiday just means a busier day at work with no extra money.

Fortunately my family and I are no longer in these situations but I feel for those who are.

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought she had already confirmed it is going to be female ?

I reckon it will be early on the basis of the previous morning sickness.

I want more bank holidays.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I want a Queen (just because I want to see the Commonweath convulsed in bureaucratic and legislative nightmares to change their succession laws), but, more importantly, I want our friends in the Commonweath to also get an extra day off, because, really, why not? Who doesn't like an extra holiday every once in a while?
Yesterday/today was/is my birthday, and it'd be a lot better if I knew other people were getting a chance to sleep in because of me.

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
quote:
I want a Queen (just because I want to see the Commonwealth convulsed in bureaucratic and legislative nightmares to change their succession laws),

Haven't they already done that?
That process is currently underway, with the working group being led by New Zealand to get the necessary legislation introduced in all 16 Commonwealth Realms after the final agreement was reached in December last year (ironically the day before the Duchess' pregnancy unintentionally went public). The changes have been passed by the parliaments in NZ (as the leader of the process) and in the UK so far (which the UK press might have incorrectly reported as the changes having been made) but they can't come into force until all 16 Commonwealth Realms agree to the changes, like it was in 1936 when the line of Edward VIII was chopped out of the succession.

Canada has also passed their Succession to the Throne Act, but they were stupid and lazy enough to try taking a shortcut instead of doing the work needed to change their constitution properly. They also played with fire by passing an Act which simply assents to the UK's Succession to the Throne Act 2013 instead of laying it out properly. The Act was challenged just last week for being unconstitutional, and it is likely to be the biggest road bump to the whole process.

It has been organised well from the international side, but that doesn't account for individual fuckups in each country such as the stupid Canadians, in Australia there was a minor delay when the Queensland government was mucking around. It's not really a problem when it comes to this first child of the Duke and Duchess even if they are a daughter, but if they have a daughter and the Canadian nonsense is not yet sorted out (or if the required referendum in Australia fails) by the time they have a second pregnancy, things could get awkward if the second kid is a boy as it would involve demoting a person in the direct line.

If the Duke and Duchess have a second pregnancy before the Canadian stupidity is sorted out, the other 15 Realms may decide to chop the Canadians out of the picture and forge ahead without them. The Canadians would then have the choice to do the hard work needed to catch up with the rest, accept a diverging line of succession, or abolish the monarchy altogether.

There's unlikely to be a public holiday for the birth of the third in line in any of the Commonwealth realms other than maybe the majority of the UK - I can see the government of Scotland refusing to declare a public holiday as a petulant demonstration of their devolved right to be jerks even if London hasn't told them to be jerks. Australia gets a public holiday in honour of the reigning sovereign's birthday (but not necessarily the same date) every year already, which will transfer to the next monarch when they ascend the throne.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
I thought she had already confirmed it is going to be female ?

Well, who knows.
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
That baby would be way more interesting if it were a two-headed lizard from Gallifrey!

Wouldn't it then be a Time Lord, rather than a two-headed lizard?
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

No. It would be a two-headed lizard from Gallifrey, not a single-headed monocephalic Time Lord with only one head.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
No. It would be a two-headed lizard from Gallifrey, not a single-headed monocephalic Time Lord with only one head.

thinks ..... if the child is a Time Lord then it could be the Monarch before last.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
... (or if the required referendum in Australia fails) ...

Thanks for the detailed post. Can you elaborate on this point and what is required? I assumed that each realm would pass primary legislation and that would be the end of the matter. I had bad feelings about rocking the boat and if referendums are required my gut tells me that things could end badly.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Insist on the same succession laws in each realm? Why? Hanover didn't in 1837, so why now?

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
... (or if the required referendum in Australia fails) ...

Thanks for the detailed post. Can you elaborate on this point and what is required? I assumed that each realm would pass primary legislation and that would be the end of the matter. I had bad feelings about rocking the boat and if referendums are required my gut tells me that things could end badly.
"Primary legislation" is fine for doing things that governments do in normal day to day business. The Constitution is the instrument which governs the government, and therefore it can't be amended by the government without the direct consent of the people, some matters being too important to just leave in the hands of parliamentarians.

You're right that getting referenda involved introduces the chance that it won't go as planned, but that's a chance you take when you allow the people to have the ultimate sovereignty over the top of even the monarch. This could be problematic in Australia where only 8 of the 44 federal referenda held to date have been passed - passing a referendum requires an absolute majority for the 'yes' vote to be achieved across the whole country and in an absolute majority of the states (50% + 1 = 4 states voting yes).

Most, but not all, of the referenda to date have been held on the same day as a federal election. That's not going to work this time for two reasons - the bill authorising the referendum needs to be introduced and pass through Parliament in the next two weeks (not good for making sure it's done right, with the Canadian whoopsie serving as a good caution) and secondly because it could get dragged down by the other referendum (a question on recognising local governments in the Constitution which was previously rejected with a 33/66 overall minority and 0/6 states won) to be held on the same day as the upcoming federal election.

quote:
Originally posted by agingjb:
Insist on the same succession laws in each realm? Why? Hanover didn't in 1837, so why now?

Statute of Westminster - no one Commonwealth Realm (whether the UK or one of the others) may change succession laws without unanimous agreement of the other Commonwealth Realms, unless they are leaving the monarchy completely.

Three of the other smaller Realms do have things set up so their laws just say "we'll go with whatever Britain does" (which is what the Canadians tried to do over the top of their constitution) but in Australia the ultimate sovereignty is held by the people, and the monarch entrusted to protect it on their behalf. That is why modifying the Constitution can not be authorised by mere parliamentarians, it goes all the way up - past even the Queen.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted the giant cheeseburger:

quote:
I can see the government of Scotland refusing to declare a public holiday as a petulant demonstration of their devolved right to be jerks even if London hasn't told them to be jerks.
It is widely believed here that the Royal Family's fondness for holidaying in Scotland, and having lowish-key weddings here (Anne and Zara) is based on the fact that we're less likely to declare public holidays etc.

I'm not a million miles from Balmoral, and there's a strong steer here that the Royal Family actually appreciate the Scots lower-key approach.

Does that make Scots "petulant jerks"? Really?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

If you want to discuss the finer details of the Commonwealth's constitution, I would ask that you do it in Purgatory, not here. Thanks.

And the giant cheeseburger, perhaps you could refresh your memory of the Ship's commandments, just to make sure you stay the correct side of the line. For example, it would be pleasant if you could refrain from calling other nations 'stupid' or 'jerks'. There are many less confrontational ways that you could make your point.

Imaginary Friend.
Circus host

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

How the heck did this thread get so serious? Please people, look at the questions! Poor Ariel must be [brick wall]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just surprised we have got this far and no one has said "ginger"... [Devil]
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

I like the answer about the papers and having lots of "special supplements." I presume that means Team Sky will sign the kid to ride in the Tour de France.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why are these options not available in the poll?

- a werewolf (hey, I wasn't the one who introduced the subject of Doctor Who...)

- fashionably late (I suppose I could have ticked 'overdue', but as it's a royal baby...)

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I like the answer about the papers and having lots of "special supplements." I presume that means Team Sky will sign the kid to ride in the Tour de France.

If we could keep this thread off-topic speculation free, that would be nice. Just a friendly suggestion.

—Ariston, Circus Host

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
I'm just surprised we have got this far and no one has said "ginger"... [Devil]

Or "illegitimate".

--------------------
Brian Clough

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Until Fiji was suspended from the Commonwealth, we used to get an annual holiday for Prince Charles' Birthday.
But I doubt if we'll get one for this new royal child (and maybe heir to the throne).

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elizabeth III: she reigns from 2035 until 2114.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Sir Kevin, I hope that William is around a bit longer than 2035.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not as much as he does himself, I'll warrant.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Of course, it's quite probable that Charles will still be around in 2035 before William even gets a shot, if he doesn't abdicate before then.

I'm disappointed that the proposed changes to the succession didn't include a prohibition on people over the age of 65 ascending the throne.

[ 08. July 2013, 14:53: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The royal baby will be, I suspect, the same as most other babies - a source of joy and wonder to the parents.

Leave it, and them, alone.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The royal baby will be, I suspect, the same as most other babies - lots of vomiting and nappy soiling

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The royal baby will be, I suspect, the same as most other babies: a never-ending challenge at first, but a comfort when the parents are middle-aged or older...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:

I do too! I just thought we might skip a couple of generations and have her ascend the throne the day after she graduates from university!

Would Neill do for a boy's name? It would be unique in the annals of royalty!

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not that unique., if you go far enough back.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It's a fairly safe bet they won't be giving it an overtly Irish name like Niall or Fionnuala. Queen Gobnait I, now there's a name to think on.

And the world awaits... poor Kate must be really feeling those last days of pregnancy in this weather.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it is a boy, you can almost hear the boring "royal" name.

If it is a girl - ditto.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Queen Ditto"? Possibly not, [Big Grin]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Edward IX?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
If it is a boy, you can almost hear the boring "royal" name.

If it is a girl - ditto.

I'm going for Victoria Alexandra, and possibly Charlotte, for a girl. They might well choose Elizabeth as one of the names, too.

No idea about what it would be called if it's a boy, though I hope it won't be George and it probably won't be Edward. I know old-fashioned names are back on the menu, but can't see Albert making a reappearance.

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If a girl was born today, Emmeline would be an appropriate choice.

(It's my daughter's birthday today, and I've only just realised she shares it with Mrs Pankhurst. If I'd twigged five years ago she'd have it as a middle name.)

[ 15. July 2013, 19:57: Message edited by: birdie ]

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Edward IX?

Aren't the Roman numerals only added once he/she ascends to the Throne -- often with a different first name? Prince Charles is not Charles III, and in fact, I've heard that he's considering taking the name George VII if the time ever comes.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure but that 'Charlotte' is regarded as an unlucky name for the first child of a royal heir.

Mary and Margaret are unlikely. Victoria and Elizabeth more likely. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see either 'Diana' or (more likely) 'Frances' as one of several middle names. Katherine isn't impossible either.

If the baby's a boy, I imagine we'll have some combination of the usual half-dozen royal boys' names. With maybe one joker in the pack. 'Louis' or even 'John.'

[ 15. July 2013, 21:00: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

John is out. Ever since Bad King John, he of the Magna Carta, when they decided that no royal baby should ever be called John after that.

Arthur is deemed unlucky as a first name, though it seems to feature as a secondary choice.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016