homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Are you a Geek?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Are you a Geek?
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try this Calculator to see how much of a geek you really are.

I'm Tech Rich.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It says that i am a Quality Seeker and that "look to trusted sources of information to provide reassurance before a big purchase and go for well-established brands "

I am likely to be: "older and affluent...being connected is not a priority and a late adopter"

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Quality Seeker here - well, I am older and I think Quality Seeker is a fair enough title.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quality Seeker, as well
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quality Seeker here too. Clearly disproportionately present on the Ship, else it's hard to explain what's actually in the shops.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It thinks I am "Tech Rich" whatever that means.

They have howerver redefined "geek" to mean exactly the opposite of "geek" as used in the many version sof the original online geek test (I get just over 50% on that one)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ken: They have howerver redefined "geek" to mean exactly the opposite of "geek" as used in the many version sof the original online geek test (I get just over 50% on that one)
I can program a computer in 7 or 8 languages, but no question about that. Since when did 'geek' get the meaning 'someone who's into electronic gadgets because of their style'?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tech rich on th OP link and 38% on ken's.
ISTM, the OP link is far too simplistic and, as ken mentioned, isn't truly a geek test.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
]the original online geek test]

That is awesome. You have to be a geek to even care about filling the whole thing in. I scored 37%, a little disappointed...

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I score as a poor person who doesn't do much with tech. Which is weird, but I think part of it is that that particular test focuses so much on TV, which I wouldn't think most geeks really would.

34.68635% on the real test, just two answers shy of Major Geekdom. I am proud of myself.

[ 04. July 2013, 17:24: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
I score as a poor person who doesn't do much with tech.

Another 'Quality Seeker' here, otherwise known as someone who won't spend hundreds of £ on a shiny paperweight.

I did score 40.77491% on Ken's Geek test though. The fact that I'm quite proud of that probably speaks for itself [Hot and Hormonal] [Help]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A quality seeker with geekish tendencies. 14.57565%
That's about right.

The boy?
Total geek and social addict. Could have told you that [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
20.4797% on Ken's, which, while dates, is quite a piece of pencil-necked geekiness!

Quality seeker on the one in the OP... I'm old.

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a Quality Seeker - John Lewis's dream customer, apparently. I must admit I do rather like that shop, but as the nearest one is 50 miles away don't go there very often.
Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Again, apparently I'm John Lewis's dream customer, which must be galling for them as I've never stepped inside a John Lewis, as far as I can remember.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was no selection there for "had to enable JavaScript in my browser to take the test".
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BTW, I'm a Price Pragmatist. Maybe it's because I don't have a TV?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Geek test I score 8.85609% and they call me a Poser!

Nah, I'm just old and disinterested.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
Again, apparently I'm John Lewis's dream customer, which must be galling for them as I've never stepped inside a John Lewis, as far as I can remember.

Me neither!

Quality Seeker here. I try to avoid cheap stuff, but I don't care if my car can talk to my phone as long as I can talk to my car. That said, my phone is switched off 100% of the time when I am driving: if someone needs me, it is never an emergency and they can leave word on my land-line. We did buy an iMac we could barely afford because it is the best and we've never looked back.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quality seeker, per the OP test

8.85609% on the other, which surprised me by being so high. I trained as a librarian when that profession was on the cutting edge of IT. In the day I knew FORTRAN IV, COBOL, IBM 360/70 Assembler. I could do on-line PDP DEC System 10 on a TTY, and punch cards with the best of them.

Shrugs Who gives a shit now?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Welease Woderwick: In the Geek test I score 8.85609% and they call me a Poser!
quote:
PeteC: 8.85609% on the other, which surprised me by being so high.
Did you do the test together?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, but you must remember that he is my evil twin. [Two face]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a TV worshiper on the first and I'm 31.73432% (Total Geek) on the other.

I'm not sure how those two go together....

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
PeteC: No, but you must remember that he is my evil twin. [Two face]
I've been looking at your pictures in the Gallery, and well, the evil twin is usually the one with the beard...

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TV worshipper, me, but I never turn the thing on, so how does that work?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
PeteC: No, but you must remember that he is my evil twin. [Two face]
I've been looking at your pictures in the Gallery, and well, the evil twin is usually the one with the beard...
Hint: PeteC did not say he was the good twin.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016