homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home

This thread has been moved to Heaven.    
 - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » University Challenge

Source: (consider it) Thread: University Challenge
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
University Challenge, in my humble opinion, is the best quiz show on TV. Any other fans out there?

I love watching the programme, but can only usually answer 6 or so questions, not least because you have to retain so much information in your head while working out the answer.

Trinity, Cambridge is my favourite to win the competition this year (Morley is surely a robot!).

As only episodes 2 and 3 are still available on I-player, can anyone tell me who won Aberdeen v. Belfast?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I confess that mr whibley and I watch on iplayer every week. Usually this isn't until Tuesday and mr whibley is on his honour not to cheat while I'm out at work. We keep score and often end up with 10-15 points each. Of course we have to beat the students themselves time-wise so we are usually smugly convinced that we would do so much better if in the actual contest! [Biased]
I'm usually suffering too much from brain-ache to notice who wins on the programme. I think wikipedia is regularly updated, so may be able to answer your question.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can I confess to having been on it?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
OddJob
Shipmate
# 17591

- Posted      Profile for OddJob   Email OddJob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can. But why confess? Is the ability to absorb information and learn quickly - and/or to be in an environment early in life where the opportuity to do so arises - actually sinful? Using such aptitudes less than altruistically may be a different moral question.

I'm usually baffled as to how the contestants have gained such nolij so young in life.

Posts: 97 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Can I confess to having been on it?

And me! Bamber Gascoigne was really nice to us all, BTW.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder how many shipmates are going to "confess" to having been on it before one actually surprises us? I know ken was top of my list of those who wouldn't surprise me.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
ButchCassidy
Shipmate
# 11147

- Posted      Profile for ButchCassidy   Email ButchCassidy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me! Paxman was also v pleasant. And there was always beer and a wheel of brie in the green room afterwards :-)
Posts: 104 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Confess" because it seems to be boasting.

I played in the old series and the new one. And both Bamber Gascoigne and Jeremy Paxman were very friendly.

--------------------
Ken

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Overused]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bamber Gascoigne was such a sweetie. I never thought anyone could replace him - but Paxman has done an excellent job.

I also thoroughly enjoyed reading 'Starter for 10', a novel about the programme.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I enjoy the program. I get 4-5 questions right a week, which is not bad - I usually beat the rest of the family.

I have not been on it. I believe my uni was banned around the time I was there because they were making fun of the top/bottom way it is shown.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was on my university team but we didn't make it to the televised rounds. [Frown]
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I never got the chance to be on.

But the Polytechnic where I studied is now a University, so just say I was ahead of my time.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I consider it an achievement if I understand the question.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do enjoy it, but Only Connect on BBC4 straight afterwards is even better. (And yes, Ken has been on that too...)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do like Only Connect too. Gill H - how did you do? Will we see you again on it?

I am always reminded of the Undertones lyrics "He thinks that I'm a cabbage 'Cause I hate University Challenge"

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
I was on my university team but we didn't make it to the televised rounds. [Frown]

That's a shame. When I did it (1987) I think there were only televised rounds: Granada TV presumably had a rota or something of which universities/ colleges would be invited to be on each year.
Trust ken to have been on twice. It's people like him that are the reason why the OU and Birkbeck traditionally did well.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Bamber Gascoigne was such a sweetie. I never thought anyone could replace him - but Paxman has done an excellent job.

Quite. As my late* mother said
quote:
Whoever would have thought that that horrid man could make such a success of University Challenge?
Actually. I quite like Paxo, though I somtimes want to slap him when he's in full Saloon-Bar-Man mode on Newsnight.

* i.e. dead (see relevant Hell thread)

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I do like Only Connect too. Gill H - how did you do? Will we see you again on it?

I am always reminded of the Undertones lyrics "He thinks that I'm a cabbage 'Cause I hate University Challenge"

Not me - Ken!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Incidentally, I think UC is the show with the highest rate of questions on the TV. Mastermind is probably a close second. Anyone else want to challenge or confirm that?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

That's what makes it so exciting - partly because the tension builds up due to the speed and lack of space between questions and partly due to the speed of thought of the contestants, who have to keep so much information in their heads while at the same time performing a calculation or solving a puzzle, to a very fast timescale - it is breathtaking to witness.

I feel sorry for the losing team when they clearly also know all the 'fingers on buzzers' questions, but the other team just pip them to it every time.

--------------------

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:

That's a shame. When I did it (1987) I think there were only televised rounds: Granada TV presumably had a rota or something of which universities/ colleges would be invited to be on each year.
Trust ken to have been on twice. It's people like him that are the reason why the OU and Birkbeck traditionally did well.

I've been on it! IIRC they've now banned people from going on it twice, after the incident where an OU team was comprised entirely of previous winners of UC, Mastermind etc, all enrolled on part time masters courses for the purpose of winning UC.

They didn't have the wheel of brie in the green room either [Frown]

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Dinghy Sailor:
IIRC they've now banned people from going on it twice, after the incident where an OU team was comprised entirely of previous winners of UC, Mastermind etc, all enrolled on part time masters courses for the purpose of winning UC.

Not entirely composed. Just one bloke. But it pissed the producers off. Also they like to have pretty young folk on TV....

They were the OU team that beat the Birkbeck team I was in in the quarter-final then went to win the series. And we were only one question behind them (and it was a question I knew the answer to as well) so we literally lost by a fraction of a second.

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Incidentally, I think UC is the show with the highest rate of questions on the TV. Mastermind is probably a close second. Anyone else want to challenge or confirm that?

I never countes but I'm pretty sure Mastermind contestants typically face more questions than UC contestants in a game. Typically about forty. Also there is only one of you and you only get five minutes to answer them. Also the level of the questions has typically been harder than born-again-UC I think (though my impression is that UC got a bit stiffer over the last few years, after haveing been a little easier in the early 2000s)

Most TV quizzes are quite sparing with questions. In Only Connect a team will face six questions in the first two rounds, then a "wall" then maybe ten at the most of the missing vowels (much the hardest round unless you are a crossword nerd!)

When I was on Eggheads I didn't play in the elimination rounds at all (because my subjects didn't come up, I might have done either science or history) and we only got five or six questions at the end (did very badly [Frown] )

There used to be a quiz called "Fifteen to One" that seemed much faster-paced to me than UC. I was never actually on it though so I don't really know!

--------------------
Ken

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Yes, I had a shock when they tightened up the UC questions again - a few years ago I was getting more right and thinking I'd developed more brain cells! Mind you, sometimes they buck the trend - last year I was getting more second round questions right than I was in the first round. Usually, you find the questions get harder as they progress towards the final.

--------------------

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fifteen-to-One was excellent; the hardest quiz going. You had to be really good to win it. On the one hand, if you got more than 2 questions wrong over the whole programme you would be eliminated. On the other hand, to score highly enough to get to the Grand Final, you had to answer lots of questions correctly. So to get to the final, you had to actively put yourself in the firing line and get at least 15 questions right. And the questions were tough...

(Never been on any show myself but two former pupils were on the same episode of University Challenge last week!)

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Q. For fifteen points, what does Ariston do when he sees a thread look like it might do better in Heaven than with the sports discussion threads?
A. Hold on tight—going up!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016