homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Obama the sexist (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Obama the sexist
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's almost as bad as Clinton!

Obama-sex-rat

How anyone can look at themselves in a mirror if they voted for this mysogenist, I just don't know. How can they sleep at. night knowing they out such a man in the White House?

President "hope for the future" is a sexist. Who new the left produced such people. I thought it was only us Nazi's who said that sort of thing.
[

[ 06. April 2013, 15:13: Message edited by: deano ]

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this illiterate fuck-wit routine of yours supposed to be a joke, Deano?

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Silly story.

If someone aid that Obama was 'the best-looking president of the US for decades'

well he was before the job took its toll on his looks

would that be sexist?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure what this story proves except that public figures must be as wary of what they say about friends as of what they say about foes.

IOW, [Snore]

@ leo:

Dunno about sexism; it might prove the commentor's need for glasses.

[ 06. April 2013, 16:07: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the linked article:

quote:
Jennifer Rubin in the Washington Post wonders whether everyone has "gone stark raving mad", saying the president was "bludgeoned" into apologising. "Conservatives should figure out there is a bunch of real stuff to be complaining about, and much of this nonsense simply makes them look like they are back in junior high. And the tut-tutters on the left? Well, they shouldn't be surprised that young women don't want to be called 'feminists'. If the compliment police are going to descend every time a pleasantry is offered, well then the heck with 'feminism'."

bold mine

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An article about benevolent sexism, in case you're wondering what the issue is.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe all females everywhere donning the full-bodied Burka will eliminate sexism at a stroke .

Or maybe I'm thinking Orwellian futurist police state . Men are forced to view a picture of a good-looking woman, if there is measurable pupil dilation they are shot for being sexist.

"Stark raving mad" gets my vote.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:

Not much mystery to be had here; most of the sexism I personally encounter is of this type. In fact, sexism -- can we be frank? -- is rampant in U.S. culture, as substantial a presence -- though it may take slightly less overt and less disempowering forms these days -- as it has ever been. I'd say that in some ways it's worse than what my mother had to deal with, and I am no spring chicken.

In my seat in the state legislature, I am surrounded by men, and they talk solely to each other. They ignore my remarks and offer none of their own to me. To be fair, they're almost all Republicans as well (I'm a Democrat); let's hope that's the actual reason for their remaining incommunicado.

My issue is this: does one off-hand, humorously-intended (and possibly ironic) remark which is characteristic of this normative-sexist culture (coming as it does from a highly-placed political figure who has appointed women to numerous positions of power) really indicate entrenched misogyny in that executive?

Must we actually micro-analyze every frigging syllable out of every public official's mouth and use it to beat him or her about the head and shoulders?

Frankly, I'm a lot more disturbed by those officials who imagine women's wombs clamp shut when confronted with rapists, or who think that women should be forced to bring every conceivable pregnancy, all puns intended, to term, even against her will, or without the ability to support the resulting baby, or even at the cost of her own life.

Sexism is a serious and profoundly damaging phenomenon for women and men alike. Calling a friend good-looking is not.

YMMV.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're all sexist, all you beautiful ugly pieces of sweet smelling turds. I guess you folks elected Obama, penis and all, didn't you?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If only there was this much faux-rage directed at the hyper-sexualization of young girls through advertising; the restriction of women's reproductive choices; the judgment and scorn heaped upon women who are strong public figures (e.g., Hillary = bitch) and the judgment heaped on women who try to balance the demands of the workforce with the expectation that they take the lead parenting and homemaker role at home - and scorn heaped on those who drop the ball from time to time. That kind of sexism is still rampant.

The reaction to Obama's comment mystifies me. Mens' looks are increasingly the subject of commentary nowadays. We had to endure gushing from the very same right wing about Paul Ryan's "dreamy" blue eyes and buff physique during the last campaign. This is a culture that is increasingly thralled by physical appearance. Women are undoubtedly the target of it more than men, but that is changing.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I have commented before on the way that newspaper articles always feel the need to comment on Mrs Merkel's clothes and hair before they discuss her policies. Mrs Clinton's pant suits seemed to attract a similar interest.

I'd like to write it off as just a symptom of society's sexism, but it is true that women have a rather greater range of acceptable clothing and hairstyle choices than men in a business setting, and I note that new new energy secretary seems to have attracted a certain amount of interest for having unusual hair.

So I don't know that the line is always so easy to draw.

ETA: Dr. Moniz is the nominee for Energy Secretary - he hasn't been confirmed yet.

[ 06. April 2013, 17:41: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

- Posted      Profile for Gextvedde   Email Gextvedde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Total fucking non-story as far as I'm concerned. Is this a joke?

[ 06. April 2013, 17:41: Message edited by: Gextvedde ]

--------------------
"We must learn to see that our temperament is a gift of God, a talent with which we must trade until he comes" Thomas Merton

Posts: 293 | From: The Twilight Zone, near the M25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, she is good looking. Anyone who has a problem with me figuring she is can pound sand.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gextvedde:

I think it's deano's idea of one.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gextvedde:

Well, it has been fodder for the right-wing rage machine in the U.S. recently. (I guess Benghazi doesn't have the traction it used to.) One could argue they're a joke though.

[ 06. April 2013, 18:02: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's that I see in my tea cup? Ah yes, a storm.

fwiw, Obama is without doubt the best looking president in the history of the United States. But that's the opinion of one straight middle-aged white guy.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me the story is he acknowledged the implications of his remark and amended it.

Sorry, but this stuff does matter. (Do read Josephine's article.) If you have a tremendous amount to offer the world, and the first thing people what to talk about is how you look, the temptation is to wonder if any of those things you have to offer would be less important to those people if you didn't look the right way.

It's not that it's not okay to be cute, it's that a female colleague wants to hear it's not at the top of the list of what makes her valuable. And not in a sigh, eye-roll, of-course-it-isn't sort of way. In a consistently reinforced way.

So good on Obama for taking it seriously. Everybody has a less- than-tactful moment, he stepped up when he had his and admitted it. And didn't' say "It's up to the oversensitive bitches to adjust to my comfort level."

[ 06. April 2013, 22:18: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Despite Josephine and I disagreeing in purg recently, I think we're in a similar place on this one. I agree with Kelly, it does matter.

I think that the inappropriateness is reduced by the fact that it was amongst a bunch of other, appropriate compliments. But this was in a public speech. There's a difference there, than if he just mentioned it to his mates. The implication for Ms Harris is that her ability to be a good Attorney General is dependent on her looks. And the implication for people that aren't blessed with a similar level of good looks are somehow less capable professionally.

On a scale of importance, yes, it's not that big a deal, and there's been much worse said with no apology. So I also agree with the 'storm in a teacup' comments. But I do think it was inappropriate, and it was right he apologised. But since it wasn't a huge deal, and he did apologise, that should be the end of it. Story over.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK Kelly, this does matter and President Obama was right to apologise. On the other hand it isn't what matters most, nor was it the first thing he said about Ms Harris. This link shows that he stated 'she was "brilliant and she is dedicated and she is tough, and she is exactly what you'd want in anybody who is administering the law and making sure that everybody is getting a fair shake"' before he said anything about her appearance.

Yes, he made a mistake, but it wasn't as if he put looks first.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Republicans: "Oh look! Another stick to beat Obama with!"

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
OK Kelly, this does matter and President Obama was right to apologise. On the other hand it isn't what matters most, nor was it the first thing he said about Ms Harris. This link shows that he stated 'she was "brilliant and she is dedicated and she is tough, and she is exactly what you'd want in anybody who is administering the law and making sure that everybody is getting a fair shake"' before he said anything about her appearance.

Yes, he made a mistake, but it wasn't as if he put looks first.

Fair enough.

Read the "I fucking love science" stuff in Josephine's article. God, it cut me to the heart. Because I fucking love "I fucking love science" and the fantastic shit that woman does is worth two Nobel prizes--always has been, even when she was faceless--and the fact that guys were sailing up to her evaluating her "shaggability" as if that was their privilege, and not something that wasn't any of their damn business to do... it just sucks. And I praise her for calling it out.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Read the "I fucking love science" stuff in Josephine's article. God, it cut me to the heart. Because I fucking love "I fucking love science" and the fantastic shit that woman does is worth two Nobel prizes--always has been, even when she was faceless--and the fact that guys were sailing up to her evaluating her "shaggability" as if that was their privilege, and not something that wasn't any of their damn business to do... it just sucks. And I praise her for calling it out.

I read that "I fucking love science" stuff and there's a heck of a lot in there that is very close to home. I work in IT, in a scientific environment in South Wales, all of which leads to a non-inclusive culture. Women working in that environment have to be capable and to take no shit whatsoever, because some of the guys working there are troglodytes and glory in it. Maybe it's catching!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I think it's the "glory in it" bit that has caused PTSD in me.

Mine comes from certain scathing sexists I ran across in my gaming years, which can be equally harrowing for women who try to navigate it. And some of the guys who think they can white-glove women...

[Eek!]

"But that's different, because women are not visually stimulated, Please, God, let them not be visually stimulated. Pretty, pretty please..."

[ 06. April 2013, 23:47: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:
Mens' looks are increasingly the subject of commentary nowadays. We had to endure gushing from the very same right wing about Paul Ryan's "dreamy" blue eyes and buff physique during the last campaign. This is a culture that is increasingly thralled by physical appearance. Women are undoubtedly the target of it more than men, but that is changing.

Indeed, I think the solution is to give women more permission to comment on the looks of men, not to tell men they can't comment on the looks of women.

Because let's face it, most of us are not blind. We notice whether we consider someone attractive or not.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's deeper than that Orfeo. Sexuality is part of all human relationships, whether acknowledged and controlled or allowed to unconsciously influence. Human beings size up each others physical attributes and consider the mating potential or whether our antlers are larger than the next deer's. Because Obama didn't decide to censor his comments, he's been less civilized than we expect, but we shouldn't expect him to check his hormones at the door, nor take anti-androgen drugs. Women are wont to censor themselves more in western cultures, but they are affected by the same human and hormonal issues than men. Hence the care taken with dress, cosmetics, hair, though these seem often aimed at both sexes more clearly than with men.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will agree that Kamala Harris' looks should not have come into it at all. What I do object to is that, as a group, the Republicans do exponentially more to harm women's rights.

quote:
I work in IT, in a scientific environment in South Wales, all of which leads to a non-inclusive culture.

Gonna have to call you on this on. Our pal deano has stated IT is practically UK Feminista.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Indeed, I think the solution is to give women more permission to comment on the looks of men, not to tell men they can't comment on the looks of women.

Because let's face it, most of us are not blind. We notice whether we consider someone attractive or not.

I might agree with you, but I would make a distinction between commenting and evaluating (emphasis on the root "value")
Again I would refer to some o the comments made by they guys toward the IFLS gal. some were just "hey you're cute". Some added comments about her "fuckability" Um, who's job is it to evaluate that?

Because as far as I can see, in the REAL world all kinds of people of various attractiveness levels are getting laid. There is no actual "you must be this hot to fuck" bar, so why talk as if there is one? Commenting is fine as long as it is one person's opinion and not framed as a categorical evaluation.

But the bit about women "given permission"-- note how you phrased that-- I agree with that. Because there still is this lingering sense that it is men that make the "evaluations" (basing this on some of the more appalling comments discussed, ) and that the female half of the human race are just this sort of buffet waiting for selection.

Case in point-- months ago, we were having a similar discussion about whether or not women should be flattered by random evaluations (i'm going to assume we all agree simple compliments aren't a problem) a guy said something (trying to empathize) about how he might be flattered by a nice looking lady complimenting him, but not at all flattering if he got it from Roseanne Barr. The conversation had moved too far to address it, but I remember thinking,"Why? If a compliment is a good thing, then why isn't it just as good getting it from Roseanne Barr? She's not saying she's attractive, she's saying YOU are."

Unless(as I suspect) the compliment is read as "evaluation" and the implication is "selection." Which would both explain why women get uncomfortable about the context and delivery of certain compliments, and why men might have the unfortunate societal consequence of having to watch how they phrase their compliments a bit more.

But as you say, if women were freer about commenting on men's appearance, and men therefore got to sense the "compliment/ evaluation" difference for themselves, maybe things would balance out enough for us all to be a little more humane about how we talk about each other.

Also, maybe the only problem at all with what Obama said was the word "best." As per above, he may be president, but it's just not his job to make public evaluations of that sort.

[ 07. April 2013, 03:45: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Also, maybe the only problem at all with what Obama said was the word "best." As per above, he may be president, but it's just not his job to make public evaluations of that sort.

He's the president talking about an Attorney General, in a reasonably official context (it's actually quite hard for the president to have an unofficial context in public). The fact that Dr Harris is easy on the eye is completely irrelevant to her performance as Attorney General. It shouldn't matter whether she looks like Christie Brinkley or Chris Christie.

The president shouldn't have brought her looks up, he knows he shouldn't, and apologized - it's not a big deal.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

OK, fuckin' a, that's about as right as right can be.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So yes, everyday sexism is an issue. It is wrong and mistaken, and should be stamped out. Obama was wrong to make a comment that is sexist, and he has now apologised for it.

The truth is that people make mistakes, and the best people acknowledge that, and seek to improve. Did anyone actually expect that Obama was perfect?

Because GWB was so brilliant, wasn't he*?

And deano - you are a rotten piece of arse-crack mould, if you think this is funny in any way. Kindly drop into the blocked u-bend of life and die.

*sorry, did I say brilliant? I meant the only fucking politician who could make Boris seem like a competent leader.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Gonna have to call you on this on. Our pal deano has stated IT is practically UK Feminista.

I haven't stated that. That's what's know as "a load of old bollocks".

It's interesting to see how many people here are minimising Obama's comments. Lefties protecting a sexist. Who'da thunk'it?

Still, I'm glad that some don't want to bury their heads in the sand and pretend this isn't important.

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
It's interesting to see how many people here are minimising Obama's comments. Lefties protecting a sexist. Who'da thunk'it?

Still, I'm glad that some don't want to bury their heads in the sand and pretend this isn't important.

Looking at Obama's record as a whole, I think very few people would describe him as "a sexist". He is a normal human being who slipped up once and has apologised for it. Just as one swallow does not make a summer, one remark does not define a person.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Republicans: "Oh look! Another stick to beat Obama with!"

Showing their intellectual poverty as they do so.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
So yes, everyday sexism is an issue. It is wrong and mistaken, and should be stamped out. Obama was wrong to make a comment that is sexist, and he has now apologised for it.

The truth is that people make mistakes, and the best people acknowledge that, and seek to improve. Did anyone actually expect that Obama was perfect?

Because GWB was so brilliant, wasn't he*?

And deano - you are a rotten piece of arse-crack mould, if you think this is funny in any way. Kindly drop into the blocked u-bend of life and die.

*sorry, did I say brilliant? I meant the only fucking politician who could make Boris seem like a competent leader.

I don't think this is funny. It's terrible and Congress should start hearings. I mean why wouldn't you. He's the President.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh believe me, I know plenty of people who would have been spamming my timeline if Obama had actually been unrepentantly sexist. As it is, this is the first I have heard about it.

I don't think everyday sexism is funny. Similarly, I don't think you are funny deano. A shimmering block of knob cheese, maybe.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
[QUOTE] Indeed, I think the solution is to give women more permission to comment on the looks of men, not to tell men they can't comment on the looks of women.

Um, no. NO NO NO NO.

First, I do not fucking need anyone's fucking "permission" to say whatever I fucking please about anybody. All I have to do is be prepared for the consequences.

And what about those consequences?

Do you actually imagine, for one minute, that my publicly and loudly speculating about, oh, say, the length of Guy #1's penis in the hearing of several other guys, or even in the presence of mixed company, is actually likely to IMPROVE anybody's sexist behavior?

Give. Me. A. Break.

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

It's always the same with Democrats. From Kennedy to Clinton to Obama.

It starts with "You look hot!!" and ends up with "Do you want a cigar?"

I suspect the dismissive attitude shown here would be howls of faux outrage were a conservative to have made similar comments.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obama has out his foot in it before - about the special olympics for example. One or two pratfalls do not a serial philanderer make. They don't even make a sexist.

deano - what nobody can work out is whether you're just trying to be funny or whether you really are that stupid. Me, I don't think it's an either-or option.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:

quote:
]Not in my experience. I've worked in IT for almost 30 years and in my experience it's a great industry for women.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:
]Not in my experience. I've worked in IT for almost 30 years and in my experience it's a great industry for women.

So you equate a good industry for women to work in with a hotbed of radical feminism!

Wow. No wonder you're desperate to defend Obama, you're even more sexist than he is.

There is some serious hypocrisy from the left on display here. Ad hominen attacks merely confirm the lack of real arguments.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Methinks the deano doth protest too much.

The habitual user of hyperbole (I guess that's one way of looking at it, kinder than merely seeing provocation) goes off the deep end when someone else makes a little use of hyperbole.

Plank out of eye time, deano. Hyperbole is a game anyone can play. You don't have a corner on that market.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:

There is some serious hypocrisy from the left on display here. Ad hominen attacks merely confirm the lack of real arguments.

I'm at all sure what the argument here is .

Is an obsession re. all things 'left' treatable these days ?

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I will agree that Kamala Harris' looks should not have come into it at all. What I do object to is that, as a group, the Republicans do exponentially more to harm women's rights.

quote:
I work in IT, in a scientific environment in South Wales, all of which leads to a non-inclusive culture.

Either my experience is at odds with deano's, or deano's idea of what is great for women is off-beam. Mind you, I've worked in IT elsewhere in the UK and it has been much better there for women, so maybe geography plays a part too.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
quote:

Looking at Obama's record as a whole, I think very few people would describe him as "a sexist". He is a normal human being who slipped up once and has apologized for it. Just as one swallow does not make a summer, one remark does not define a person.
Exactly. While I did want to unpack the issues a little, as I started off saying, the news to me is that he apologized. The usual tactic would be to throw all kinds of spin over it that made whoever complained look evil. That is exactly what Clinton did, so bringing him into the OP only highlights how much more class Obama has than Clinton.

I also agree with others that deano is playing Johnny Hyperbole, and I suspect he is getting off on digging at Obama supporters on that basis alone, and if I get the sense he is twisting my words to dig at people, I will eat him.

"Charges drawn up?" Good God, what nonsense. [Disappointed]

[ 07. April 2013, 16:02: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

I'm surprised that nobody's pointed out the obvious sexism revealed by Obama's actions. For example, he appointed a female Secretary of State, and 100% of his Supreme Court appointees have been women, and he appointed more women to the Federal bench in his first term than any other president has in a single term.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That link worked yesterday, I was going to look at it again, where's it gone?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
I'm surprised that nobody's pointed out the obvious sexism revealed by Obama's actions. For example, he appointed a female Secretary of State, and 100% of his Supreme Court appointees have been women, and he appointed more women to the Federal bench in his first term than any other president has in a single term.

That probably illustrates the difference between what Obama once said and what he has done over a period of years.

I'd suggest that what people do matters more.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I suspect the dismissive attitude shown here would be howls of faux outrage were a conservative to have made similar comments.

I remember something of the like happening not too long ago here in the UK...joking turned into baying for blood...
Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

..... are we talking about cameron and the "There there dear" jibe in the House of Commons ?

He was fuckin lucky to get away as lightly as he did with that one .
He wouldn't have got off had my Missis been on the end of it I can tell you that !

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Methinks the deano doth protest too much.

The habitual user of hyperbole (I guess that's one way of looking at it, kinder than merely seeing provocation) goes off the deep end when someone else makes a little use of hyperbole.

Plank out of eye time, deano. Hyperbole is a game anyone can play. You don't have a corner on that market.

Hypocrisy even more than hyperbole. deano's posts indicate an utter lack of a meaningful morality.

[ 08. April 2013, 02:53: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016