homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Mental Health according to Indifferently (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Mental Health according to Indifferently
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is not a group therapy thread. Shut the fuck up.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes'm, shutting up, the fuckish.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kum Ba Ya, My Lord... Kum Ba Ya...

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few things:

--Kelly, you're right about the US tripping over "we're better than everyone else in all things". I'm reminded of something CS Lewis said (in the context of religious denominations, IIRC) that a young child may think that the silverware at their house is the real silverware, and no one else's silverware is real.

--I had an awful time with gymnastics, and PE in general. I did get some basic rolls more or less down in 5th or 6th grade; my teacher was VERY patient and encouraging. The uneven bars were really out of the question. I could muddle around on a regulation-sized balance beam. I was awful at climbing things. (Not too bad at trees, though.) We had to climb ropes in PE in grade school. I made it near the top once. The rest was pretty awful. Not sure what was different that one day. I was less embarrassing at foursquare, and a few other things.

--I've had an annoying time with some *very* minor neuro glitches: e.g., lighting matches, whistling, using scissors, and snapping my fingers. I didn't really get the hang of matches and whistling until college. Scissors are still awkward, both in holding them and in trying to cut a straight line. However, I've got some offset scissors (where the handles are bent up), and they work much better for me. Matches are easier if I use wooden ones, and really focus. I think I'd managed snapping my fingers by high school.

I Googled those glitches once, and found other people who had them. Don't know what, if anything, it means.

--My sense of vertical distance is off--part of me exaggerates it so much that a few feet can seem like miles. Made cartwheels impossible, and some kinds of playground equipment extremely difficult. As with some glitches I've developed as an adult, it seems that part of my brain perceive things rightly and part is wayyyy off.

--As far as whether diagnoses and disabilities are "real", check out:

~~ The Invisible Disabilities site.

~~ CFIDS.org. I have Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (CFIDS/CFS/ME). It tends to be mostly invisible, unless someone is really paying attention. For a long time, sufferers were written off as having "Yuppie flu", being lazy, malingering, etc. by both professionals and laypeople. Many still feel that way. Even doctors and loved ones who believe you have *something* don't really get the extent of it. They may abandon you. You really find out who your friends are, and your good doctors. Random clerks can be rude and mocking when you're looking for a book on CFIDS. Even specialized clinics may be totally thoughtless about accommodating you.

--As far as assumptions about the potential of disabled kids: I read "Cushla and Her Books", written by her grandmother. (Dorothy someone.) C. was a little girl in New Zealand. She was born with multiple disabilities--so many that the professionals just assumed she had a low IQ as well. Her parents were sort of hippies, and not inclined to just believe what they were told. IIRC, she figured out how to read; and, at some point, she was in some sort of free-spirited small group school. (In a barn, I think.) Anyway, she turned out to be very bright. And the professionals were dead wrong.

FWIW.

[link fixed. -comet, Hellhost]

[ 30. April 2013, 11:37: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IQ is a bit dodgy at the best of times, and particulalry dodgy when it comes to kids with sensory and/or multiple disabilities - not just because the format of the test is questionable, but because the whole concept of intelligence that underpins it is flawed. I've seen a few written off (more or less literally) as idiots (helpful technical term [Roll Eyes] ) who have flourished with the right care and stimulation. The most memorable is a deaf/blind boy who was treated as "a cabbage" (his words) until his early teens and then - adopted by someone with common sense and compassion - went on to do A levels and an honours degree.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golden Key, your invisible disabilities link doesn't work.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'swhy it's invisible.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
fixed.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[reports Comet to admins for being helpful in Hell]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I like you keep you sad little fuckers guessing.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

--As far as whether diagnoses and disabilities are "real", check out:

All diagnoses are real. Not all are accurate. Professionals range from amazing to abysmal, so then too will their diagnoses. The situations in which these evaluations occur vary tremendously, so this will affect the diagnosis.
Disabilities are real, even those not apparent to the casual observer. But a diagnosis is similar to a court verdict; it is an official position, not a perfect proof.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
As a person who needs antidepressants to function, I am so very grateful for my leftist NHS.

Also, I find it very strange that Indifferently attends what I know to be an FiF church in light of his anti-Catholic prejudice? Just weird. Coventry's full of conservative evangelical Anglican churches.

I attend because they have A and B, and will soon lobby the PCC to petition for alternative episcopal oversight. Why do you say I am "anti Catholic"? I am Catholic. I just happen to think we should stop aping Rome and use our own liturgical and ceremonial inheritance.
Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
As a person who needs antidepressants to function, I am so very grateful for my leftist NHS.

Also, I find it very strange that Indifferently attends what I know to be an FiF church in light of his anti-Catholic prejudice? Just weird. Coventry's full of conservative evangelical Anglican churches.

I attend because they have A and B, and will soon lobby the PCC to petition for alternative episcopal oversight. Why do you say I am "anti Catholic"? I am Catholic. I just happen to think we should stop aping Rome and use our own liturgical and ceremonial inheritance.
You realise that Anglo-Catholicism is very different to actual RCC practice and so is not aping Rome at all? It is continuing the liturgical and ceremonial progression which was already happening in England. Disagree with it, fine, but don't act like it's not 'real Anglicanism'. You don't think that AffCath churches are 'real' churches but they er, kind of are.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thx for fixing my link. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016