homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Good Riddance (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Good Riddance
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus
Marvin's unpleasant but un-acted-upon desires remain a matter between him and the inside of his head...

That's why Marvin has made his 'private' views available to be read by just about anyone on the planet who can read English and has an internet connection!!

Good one, Ricardus. I can see you're a clever boy! Well done. [Killing me]

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
Well, yeah, I suppose it is being quite 'shrill' to get upset about someone who basically wants people to drop dead who don't agree with him!

Ah, but the reason for your believing that is down to your inability to parse hyperbole.

quote:
Suppose I came on here and said the following: "I just wish that everyone who disagrees with my moral position would just fucking well drop dead". I assume you would respect my view, and not call this 'shrill', eh?

I'd guess you were being hyperbolic. If it transpired that you sincerely held that belief, and wished to enforce it, then I think you should be locked up.

In other words, your emotional reaction is understandable, but it comes from your own inability to comprehend what Marvin said properly. Which isn't his fault.

And even if what Marvin said wasn't hyperbole, and he really does want homophobes to commit suicide, there's still a whole chasm to jump from that to thinking that homophobes should be executed.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wishing people dead who simply take a different view on something is precisely like the fanaticism of the worst theocrats of the Bible Belt.

Only if it's acted on.
quote:
Calling someone a "dangerous sociopath" who sees a connection between the desire that certain people should be dead and actually wanting to be involved in the implementation of that goal (a connection entirely in accordance with the record of history), is a truly insane comment. It is therefore a "retarded remark".
a. You weren't called out for 'seeing a connection', but for asserting that it's a very small step. See this post.

b. Do you genuinely not see the difference between saying an idea is wrong and saying it is retarded?
quote:
So are you just criticising me here or are you willing to criticise the Ship for running this hell board? Or are you playing the hypocrite by targetting me, and yet not pulling other people up on their language?
Neither. I'm saying that if you want to judge people on the basis of Matthew 5:21-22, you'd better be prepared to accept the same judgement yourself.
quote:
"The Great Karl (Il)liberal Backslider" - yes, he is illiberal. Read his posts. So I make no apology for telling the truth.
'The Great' is clearly sarcastic, and messing with people's screen names is generally considered insulting.

quote:
As for your "bad name" theory... how do you read Jesus' words in Matthew 23? Just askin'...
Which particular part of Matthew 23 did you want me to comment on?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus
Marvin's unpleasant but un-acted-upon desires remain a matter between him and the inside of his head...

That's why Marvin has made his 'private' views available to be read by just about anyone on the planet who can read English and has an internet connection!!
Well, at least I can read ...

[ 22. May 2013, 15:09: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah, I'm cool with that; I do it myself, eh, Eversnog?

Even more fun when it's complete bollocks. I mean, I know exactly how much esteem EE holds me in, so the sarky comments aren't exactly a surprise.

[ 22. May 2013, 15:14: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Screw screen names. It's threads like this that make me wish I had a different avatar. Oh for the days when cool cats like Orfeo shared the same icon as me. Still, I had it first, and I'm not switching...

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Firstly, opposing gay marriage does not make someone 'homophobic'
Yes it does. In exactly the same way that opposing mixed-race marriages makes you racist.
Really?! What about gay people who don't believe in gay marriage?
I hesitate to answer, not being part of the group being persecuted, so I'll just say "Uncle Tom" and leave others to make up their own minds.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've reminded me of a Noam Chomsky quote, Marvin:

quote:
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow lively debate within that spectrum.

[ 22. May 2013, 15:23: Message edited by: The Riv ]

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
I can understand why people are angry and upset about this, but not why the guy chose to off himself next to the high altar at Notre Dame.

'cos Notre Dame is the mother church of the bitching whoring fornicating blaspheming people of Paris who need to be taught a lesson. The French far right, if they care for a church at all in Paris, are maybe are likely to prefer Sacre Coeur, the symbol of the old monarchists and the ultra-montane catholics. I have no idea what Venner's personal religious opinions were, but his sort of right-wing in France - the "Europeanists", and some of the old PPF/OAS borderline-fascist types - often tend to be atheist or openly anti-Christian and want to refound European culture on a Nordic base, or sometimes on pagan Greece, and chuck out all that wishy-washy peace and love stuff along with the rest of the nassty alien middle-eastern monotheist superstition.

Oh, and because every year it gets almost as many visitors as Disneyland (in California) or Trafalgar Square, and rather more than Disneyland (Paris) or the Niagara Falls. So anything done there is going to be seen by lots and lots of people.

And maybe because he fantasised himself as a character in a Dan Brown book.

[ 22. May 2013, 15:29: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Suppose I came on here and said the following: "I just wish that everyone who disagrees with my moral position would just fucking well drop dead". I assume you would respect my view, and not call this 'shrill', eh?

Son, at this point in your voyage on the Ship you could post "the cat sat on the mat" and have people queuing up to tell you what a fucking egotistical shitbiscuit you are. You're so far up your own ass that it can only be described using non-Euclidian geometry.

quote:
'logic'
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

quote:
the person who seeks to uphold life.
Except for the gays, right?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He doesn't sound like the sort of bloke I'd want to for a drink with - but i reckon anyone who commits suicide is mentally ill so I would urge a bit of sympathy rather than condemnation.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Internalised homophobia is a thing. As is internalised sexism, internalised racism and so on. There still exist women who sincerely believe that women shouldn't be allowed to vote. It's still a sexist position when they believe that. The minority of gay people who don't like the concept of gay marriage are generally saying that they don't want it for themselves (which is fine - lots of straight people don't want to get married either), but the even smaller handful of gay people who don't think that SSM should be available at all are a right pain in the arse for the rest of the LGBT community because of stupid arguments like yours.
Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
He doesn't sound like the sort of bloke I'd want to for a drink with - but i reckon anyone who commits suicide is mentally ill so I would urge a bit of sympathy rather than condemnation.

I have sympathy for nearly anyone driven to suicide. But also anger towards some. This idiot traumatised children, uninvolved tourists, people who agreed with him as well as his supposed target audience. Narcissistic bastard.

BTW, EE. If you did not present as a mouth-foaming rage monkey, people might listen. Probably still not agree, but they might listen.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:

Not sure. My guess is that he sees himself as following the tradition of Jan Palach or Thích Quảng Đức, neither of whom were mentally ill, at least AIUI.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tortuf -

If you can't stand the heat of the kitchen...

Not to speak for Tortuf, but I imagine it's not so much the heat as the foul stench of the garbage disposal.

quote:
You're so far up your own ass that it can only be described using non-Euclidian geometry.

Brilliant. Marvin, you truly are on a roll this month. Have you and Kelly been taking funny lessons together? You two are screamin'.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, this has been educational. EtymologicalEvangelical can froth and foam perfectly well without Gamaliel to bounce off of.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical

Please quote where I have said that I wish gay people to die.

If you can't, then you're a pathetic liar. Plain and simple.

(What were you saying about 'logic' again?)

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EE, take your meds, will you? There's a good chap.

[ 22. May 2013, 23:00: Message edited by: St Deird ]

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Nah, Deirdy dear, I think I'll pass on my meds and go with Marvin's fave drug, which is...

Let them all die, the bastards!

Isn't that the enlightened "new sanity"? Yeah, let's ditch all the old crap about tolerance and forgiveness towards people with whom we may disagree. Let's just wish that they dropped dead, like the very sensible Marvin has kindly condescended to teach us!

[brick wall]

--------------------

St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think I'll pass on my meds and go with Marvin's fave drug
Yeah, let's ditch all the old crap about tolerance and forgiveness towards people with whom we may disagree.

You seem to have overdosed on that one already.

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Your comment is the most retarded remark I have read on the Ship in all the time I have been here (and that is saying something!)

Thank-you EE for being as insensitive a whackjob as Ann Coulter for posting the same way as she tweeted.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, so get educated, and apologise EE, and do it now.

I paraphrase the link below. You wanted to belittle the comment you posted about EE by linking it to people you perceive as being stupid and dimwitted. Like the man who wrote the letter, you assume that people will understand your insult. I don't. If you would be comfortable making the remark using the word "nigger" then I guess I'd understand.

Man With Down Syndrome Writes Letter To Conservative About Her Use Of Word ‘Retard’.

quote:
A better person than EE wrote this
I'm a 30 year old man with Down syndrome who has struggled with the public's perception that an intellectual disability means I'm dumb and shallow. I am neither of those things...

[ 22. May 2013, 23:46: Message edited by: no prophet ]

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

I have sympathy for nearly anyone driven to suicide. But also anger towards some. This idiot traumatised children, uninvolved tourists, people who agreed with him as well as his supposed target audience. Narcissistic bastard.
Well said. People are way too quick to diagnose mental illness from a distance these days. I blame the recently updated Bible of Voodoo, the DSM.
I empathise with leo's feeling, but I can't feel sad for this bloke. Someone mentioned the Buddhist monk who self immolated. He and the Czech who did this were members of oppressed populations who seemed to believe that a public, shocking action of that nature would force change. I'm not saying I support those actions, but I can see the rationale. This bloke in France obviously believed he belonged to a similar population of oppressed views. He didn't. His suicide will have no effect. And I don't feel sad for him. I don't feel anything - not even pity.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I hesitate to answer, not being part of the group being persecuted, so I'll just say "Uncle Tom" and leave others to make up their own minds.
I also have a suspicion that a fairly large proportion of gay people opposed to gay marriage are also opposed to straight marriage (e.g., they think any official state endorsement of couples is wrong). BTW does anyone have any actual stats on support/opposition to marriage by LGBT people?

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
I also have a suspicion that a fairly large proportion of gay people opposed to gay marriage are also opposed to straight marriage (e.g., they think any official state endorsement of couples is wrong).

This has been the rhetoric I have heard, as well.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Tortuf -

If you can't stand the heat of the kitchen...

Not to speak for Tortuf, but I imagine it's not so much the heat as the foul stench of the garbage disposal.
You have it in one brother mousethief.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oooo, ooooo Can I be sister Evensong? And we can, like, pretend we're all part of some new monastic Christian community?

Can I, can I? I always wanted to be a nun.

jumps up and down in excitement

[ 23. May 2013, 03:38: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bien sűr ma belle dam*

______
*French for "of course lovely lady" or "I lost my sporran." Take your pick.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being more Scottish than French I'll have to opt for the latter. [Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, so get educated, and apologise EE, and do it now.

I can't see EE apologising. He isn't the apologising type. Lacks the strength and moral courage to do that because he is hanging onto some crude doctrine that wasn't acquired through education and study but was unthinkingly accepted. He will push it unswervingly, and congratulate himself for that, from here to the Second Coming when EE will have to admit what a turd he has been (however one says that to Christ).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EtymologicalEvangelical, oh dear [Frown] ! You seem so committed to extracting your own peculiar meaning from my post, it almost seems unfair to interrupt your self-administered therapeutic incomprehension with mere common-sense.

Jesus a sociopath? Very creative on your part to imagine I said or implied this. I'm almost flattered you should go to such hilarious extremes to distort what I've written. But - symptomatic of whatever it is you're suffering from - it's all in your head, as I think deep down you know anyway.

I know very well what Jesus said about hatred. It seems,however, you have some other version of scripture which suggests something different?

And if what I've written is the most 'retarded' thing you've ever read on the Ship, it seems to me your mind must live in a very confined space indeed! I suggest you let it out a bit more; healthier diet, fresh air, sunlight. Does wonders for the perspective!

And I'm sure you'd have less occasion to wipe the froth and spittle off your computer screen, too. I imagine that can't have been pleasant.

PS: you do know what the word 'potentially' means, don't you?

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
Nah, Deirdy dear, I think I'll pass on my meds and go with Marvin's fave drug, which is...

Isn't that the enlightened "new sanity"? Yeah, let's ditch all the old crap about tolerance and forgiveness towards people with whom we may disagree. Let's just wish that they dropped dead, like the very sensible Marvin has kindly condescended to teach us!

[brick wall]

What, then, is one to make of people who say things like this?
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew 18:6:
If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

(With thanks to Lyda*Rose, who has just brought this verse up on a thread on a totally different subject.)

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Well, this has been educational. EtymologicalEvangelical can froth and foam perfectly well without Gamaliel to bounce off of.

Nah, he's just pining for Gamaliel and frothing with desire.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical

Please quote where I have said that I wish gay people to die.
Anyone who wants someone else to be persecuted isn't upholding life, even if they stop short of advocating death. Deal with it.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anyone who wants someone else to be persecuted isn't upholding life, even if they stop short of advocating death. Deal with it.

This is true.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
Screw screen names. It's threads like this that make me wish I had a different avatar. Oh for the days when cool cats like Orfeo shared the same icon as me. Still, I had it first, and I'm not switching...

Sorry, brother.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[brick wall]

Look, if particularly idiotic breeders want to find ways of removing themselves from the gene pool, I'm going to find the planet more enjoyable without them.

It's a simple fact. This evening I was in a 'gay village' for the first time in a long time. It was wonderful. Not everyone was gay by any means, but there were plenty of us and it felt SAFE. It felt like a place I could be me and not have to apologise for one microsecond.

More of the world should be like that. More of the world will be like that as people who find same sex relations repulsive die off.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Dan Druff
Apprentice
# 17703

- Posted      Profile for Dan Druff   Email Dan Druff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
If someone wants to make this kind of idiotic gesture, I won't stop them.

That's one less person around to vote on the topic if it ever comes up again. Talk about giving a whole new meaning to 'loser'.

Idiot. Hysterical homophobic moron. Byeeeee.

He's dead. He can't hear you.
Posts: 9 | From: Kent NOT London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo
It's a simple fact. This evening I was in a 'gay village' for the first time in a long time. It was wonderful. Not everyone was gay by any means, but there were plenty of us and it felt SAFE. It felt like a place I could be me and not have to apologise for one microsecond.

More of the world should be like that. More of the world will be like that as people who find same sex relations repulsive die off.

So you think that everyone who opposes gay marriage, and who perhaps has a low view of homosexuality in general, is a direct threat to gay people? Therefore, those people should die, in order to ensure the safety of gays?

Let's apply that logic to something else. There are many people in this world who find belief in God repulsive (irrespective of the relationship between that belief and homosexuality, I might add). They believe that theism (or 'religion' as they call it) is a threat to world peace, and causes no end of problems, and therefore should be eliminated.

Would you agree that I am perfectly right and entitled to say that "I wish that all such people would just fucking well die, so that I, as a Christian, can feel safe"?

As a matter of fact I don't think that. But that is the logical implication of your morally dubious way of thinking.

The kind of extremist gay agenda that has been expressed on this pathetic excuse for a discussion thread is not tolerant, but totalitarian. If there are people who are directly threatening the safety of gay people, then action should be taken against them. But merely holding a point of view about the nature of sexuality, and, in particular, marriage, is a matter of freedom of conscience, and anyone who says that such people are better off dead, is a deeply intolerant individual (and also hypocritical if he claims to espouse liberal tolerance. Liberal tolerance: what a joke! It's becoming almost an oxymoron!).

The truth is that you just cannot live with the reality that there are people in this world who hold views with which you happen to disagree. It's the worst kind of radical fundamentalism.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EE:
quote:
So you think that everyone who opposes gay marriage, and who perhaps has a low view of homosexuality in general, is a direct threat to gay people? Therefore, those people should die, in order to ensure the safety of gays?
And where did he say that? He spoke of a moment of emotional freedom- good on him! It wasn't many years ago when that moment would happen nowhere. Many people have been changed in attitude before death, my 88 year old father for one. Come the day when orfeo's lovely moment will be happening daily.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

The truth is that you just cannot live with the reality that there are people in this world who hold views with which you happen to disagree. It's the worst kind of radical fundamentalism.

You are wrong here. Homosexuality is not a view - it is a sexual orientation.

The right analogy would be "I wish there were no people who believe that heterosexuality is wrong" or "I feel really safe when everyone around me accepts my heterosexuality, and I don't have to apologise for it in any way"

In other words - to be accepted for who we are. It's not too much to ask imo. In fact it's horrendous that people in the 21st century are still made to feel this way simply because of their orientation.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Put it this way. There have recently been demonstrations against Gay & Lesbian rights in which Gays and Lesbians have been beaten simply because of their sexual orientation.

Show me instances of straight men and women being beaten by Gays and Lesbians because they are heterosexual.

Where's the extremism? Where's the violence and intolerance that forces straight people to create "straight villages"?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
If there's someone around who could possibly support EE, please do, to take some of the heat off him. He'll be complaining that he's persecuted/dogpiled/bullied next.

Okay. A little bit.

Back when I was a closeted smoker (back porch smoker more acurately, a closet would have been a fire hazard) I sat in a Sunday School class and listened to a self-righteous woman state firmly, "The only good thing about smokers is that they die young!"

It felt very much like she wished me dead.

And, like EE, I don't think everyone who is against gay marriage is a homophobe. For some people legalizing gay marriage is about the history of marriage laws which have historically been put in place to protect pregnant women and children. So it's not exactly the same as interracial marriage. These people, while being fine with gay people having weddings, making vows, living openly together, would still not wish to grant the legal definition of marriage but would prefer civil partnership. I DON'T AGREE WITH THEM but I wouldn't call them homophobes so much as ultra-conservatives who hate change.

Part of me admires anyone anywhere who is willing to die for what they think is right.

What I can't get my mind around in cases like this is why in the world he would pick this issue to die for? Not slavery, not child abuse, not poverty but something that hurts no one. ?

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
If there's someone around who could possibly support EE, please do, to take some of the heat off him. He'll be complaining that he's persecuted/dogpiled/bullied next.

Okay. A little bit.

Back when I was a closeted smoker (back porch smoker more acurately, a closet would have been a fire hazard) I sat in a Sunday School class and listened to a self-righteous woman state firmly, "The only good thing about smokers is that they die young!"

It felt very much like she wished me dead.

Don't you think there is a difference between someone despising others for a habit that (albeit with great difficulty) can be kicked, and despising others for what they humanly and harmlessly are in themselves?

If you'd wished to you could've responded to the woman's ignorant comment by stop being a smoker - a choice. Very few, if any, gay people can just 'stop being' gay.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You entirely missed the point Anselmina.
EE and I are talking about the ugliness of wishing people dead. Whether they're wished dead for their habits or for their views on gay marriage hardly matters.

That's even assuming you had a clue about the intensity of nicotine addiction or whether or not you noticed that no one in this discussion was wished dead for being gay.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
You entirely missed the point Anselmina.
EE and I are talking about the ugliness of wishing people dead. Whether they're wished dead for their habits or for their views on gay marriage hardly matters.

That's even assuming you had a clue about the intensity of nicotine addiction or whether or not you noticed that no one in this discussion was wished dead for being gay.

You are missing the point.

"Wishing they are dead" is simply hyperbole for wishing they were not around because they make life so very uncomfortable and unlivable. See orfeo's post about his time in the gay village.

[ 30. May 2013, 14:17: Message edited by: Boogie ]

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Originally posted by St Deird:
EE, take your meds, will you? There's a good chap.

While I'm feeling irritable:

I get so tired of this. For starters it must be the most overused insult on the internet, yet the writer always seems to think it's original and clever.

On a board where, "loser," of all things, is considered offensive and comparing someone to the learning disabled with the "r" word is a Hell-call offense, why does this remain okay?

You do realize don't you that it's insulting to anyone who suffers from a mental illness? You weren't talking about people with high cholesterol when you refer to "taking your meds" were you? You're implying, as a joke, that EE has a mental illness for which he neglected to take his medication therefore his posts are, I don't know, wrong? disconnected from reality? autistic in nature? what?. Why can't you just disagree with him? Why not call him stupid or a loser why insult an entire group of ill people by comparing him to them?

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

Let's apply that logic to something else. There are many people in this world who find belief in God repulsive (irrespective of the relationship between that belief and homosexuality, I might add). They believe that theism (or 'religion' as they call it) is a threat to world peace, and causes no end of problems, and therefore should be eliminated.

Would you agree that I am perfectly right and entitled to say that "I wish that all such people would just fucking well die, so that I, as a Christian, can feel safe"?

As a matter of fact I don't think that. But that is the logical implication of your morally dubious way of thinking.

The kind of extremist gay agenda that has been expressed on this pathetic excuse for a discussion thread is not tolerant, but totalitarian. If there are people who are directly threatening the safety of gay people, then action should be taken against them. But merely holding a point of view about the nature of sexuality, and, in particular, marriage, is a matter of freedom of conscience, and anyone who says that such people are better off dead, is a deeply intolerant individual (and also hypocritical if he claims to espouse liberal tolerance. Liberal tolerance: what a joke! It's becoming almost an oxymoron!).

I can live with it. I live with it every fucking day. What you're not grasping is how damn tiring living with it can be.

I'm sure there are parts of the world where Christians live with a constant sense of background antagonism. I doubt you're in one of them, but I'm quite sure such Christians long for the relief of not being in the presence of that background antagonism.

I'm a gay Christian. If I want a sense of background antagonism I just have to walk into a church, the default mental position being that people will have a problem with me. I have to go somewhere that explicitly states they don't have a problem with me in order not to feel a sense of discomfort.

--------------------

Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
"Wishing they are dead" is simply hyperbole for wishing they were not around because they make life so very uncomfortable and unlivable.

Whenever someone says "simply" I always suspect some verbal sleight of hand. I suppose my immediate response is "Says who?".

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
"Wishing they are dead" is simply hyperbole for wishing they were not around because they make life so very uncomfortable and unlivable.

Whenever someone says "simply" I always suspect some verbal sleight of hand. I suppose my immediate response is "Says who?".
Fair enough - I should have said "I would say 'Wishing they are dead' is hyperbole for wishing they were not around because they make life so very uncomfortable and unlivable."

[ 30. May 2013, 16:13: Message edited by: Boogie ]

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I guess he just couldn't face life in a world where he wasn't allowed to marginalise and persecute gays any more.

If only a few other homophobes had the same courage in their convictions. The world could be made a better (albeit briefly messier) place in no time.

Why wait? Let's help the bigots make the right decision. And if they won't, we should make it for them. After all, it's for the greater good.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016