homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Indifferently the uberAnglican (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Indifferently the uberAnglican
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Uh oh. Is no prophet pissed?

Parse that, fuckstard.

By, the way... who is Indifferently?

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trying to be the language police in Hell is a Sisyphean task. And I don't give a fuck whether you have to google Sisyphean.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Trying to be the language police in Hell is a Sisyphean task. And I don't give a fuck whether you have to google Sisyphean.

"whether you have to google Sisyphean"..... or what?

Unless you meant "if you have to google Sisyphean", of course.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By the FSM I hope that was intentionally ironic...

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

By, the way... who is Indifferently?

There is a world outside hell ya know.

You should try it some time.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
His possibly-feigned indifference to Indifferently notwithstanding, I would trust that RooK''s position as Admin gives him a better view of the Ship's world outside He'll than is available to you, Evensong.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
Ship's world outside He'll

Turn off autocorrect, you loser.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I sympathise with anyone who gets bullied. Even those who might be bullies themselves if they got the chance.

The Church of England seems to be run by people who hold anyone who can bothered to turn up in contempt. They want the mainstream audience, and the mainstream audience don't give a fuck. Going there, knowing your church history - if I remember rightly, Indifferently is, like me, a convert - only to find that the church themselves no longer know or care... I can see how that would make you angry.

[ 25. June 2013, 18:48: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

--------------------
-

-

Posts: 333 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Plique-à-jour:

The Church of England seems to be run by people who hold anyone who can bothered to turn up in contempt. They want the mainstream audience, and the mainstream audience don't give a fuck. Going there, knowing your church history - if I remember rightly, Indifferently is, like me, a convert - only to find that the church themselves no longer know or care... I can see how that would make you angry.

Ah, the whiff of a condemnatory generalization so universal as to be utterly worthless! Restores your faith in laziness and unthinking cynicism.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, how many churches should a person attend, and see this, before they've got a representative sample? To paraphrase Dodsworth, self-abnegation has to end somewhere short of self-harm.

--------------------
-

-

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
You can dress it up as you want, but fucktard means fucking retard and insults some people as badly as nigger would others.

This is true. Just looking at the context in which this word became popular makes it obvious that this is how it originated and what it means. Of course, not everyone knows/accepts this, and many may not intend this meaning when they use it - just like there are some people who use 'gay' as an insult, meaning 'stupid', and insist it has nothing to do with any other meaning of 'gay'. And people who use 'mong' as in insult, insisting it has nothing to do with people who have Down Syndrome. Whether or not this is considered acceptable here, I have no idea - I understand this is Hell, so insults are to be expected - but no prophet is completely correct in what s/he says, and since no one else was saying so, I am saying it.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Dipship.

Eh?

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Well, how many churches should a person attend, and see this, before they've got a representative sample?

I have no idea. The notion that my fellowship with other Christians should be regarded as a series of 'representative samples' upon which I base an ultimate conclusion of either total approval or total condemnation is completely new to me. However, I can understand the temptation to take one's disillusionment with an imperfect thing, and make it the basis for viewing one's whole relationship with it.

I would be inclined to think that if my experience of the CofE were so uniformly dismal
that perhaps I'm not really meant to be a member of the CofE. I would also be inclined not to think that that was entirely the fault of everybody and everything in the CofE, if this were so.

Personally, I've always found it to be a mixed bag with the good outweighing the bad.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What if I don't orfeo?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
What if I don't orfeo?

And what if you do?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well we know the answer to THAT Johnny English.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

"whether you have to google Sisyphean"..... or what?

Unless you meant "if you have to google Sisyphean", of course.

Whether... Or not.

I'd quite like to shoot you, right about now. Just so you know.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
quote:
Well, how many churches should a person attend, and see this, before they've got a representative sample?

I have no idea. The notion that my fellowship with other Christians should be regarded as a series of 'representative samples' upon which I base an ultimate conclusion of either total approval or total condemnation is completely new to me. However, I can understand the temptation to take one's disillusionment with an imperfect thing, and make it the basis for viewing one's whole relationship with it.

I would be inclined to think that if my experience of the CofE were so uniformly dismal
that perhaps I'm not really meant to be a member of the CofE. I would also be inclined not to think that that was entirely the fault of everybody and everything in the CofE, if this were so.

Personally, I've always found it to be a mixed bag with the good outweighing the bad.

I don't proceed in terms of representative samples myself. You said I was making a generalisation. My question was: how much data would it need to be based on to become a well-founded observation? I am not new to the CofE. My experience has not been uniformally dismal. At one point I was giving it hundreds of hours a year of my time and effort in every imaginable voluntary capacity. But where I live now, not only isn't there a decent preacher in the diocese, there doesn't seem to be one who's even trying. The only impassioned thing I've heard in a pulpit here was a volley of unChristian spite that kept me away from any CofE establishment for a year. Worship is uniformly middle-of-the-road and low-energy. The musical standard is a disgrace. Willingness to turn up seems to be nine-tenths of what got these people ordained, and with one exception, they turn up five minutes before kick-off and only talk to their mates afterwards. I could tell you dozens of stories, but I don't want to make the place identifiable.

The people who make all this possible, the churchwardens, the readers, the volunteers, are all as good as they always are, in my experience, in the CofE. These people care, and they are welcoming and engaged, doing most of the work. The point is, the general standard remains poor because nobody who cares has the authority to improve it, and nobody who has the authority to improve it cares. Laziness and unthinking cynicism is precisely what I observe in these places. People who come to church will come whether you do a good job or not, so why worry? It's the logic of an abusive relationship - if you're with me, the loser of the world, you must be scum, so I'll treat you however I like. That's the Church of England now.

Meanwhile, the people who don't come to church are Goldenbollocks. They're the people we need to tailor our services to, the ones whose approval we crave. I come from an atheist background, I know how atheists frame religion when they aren't being tolerant for the benefit of the religious - the mandate of mainstream status the Church of England once enjoyed will never come again.

The question for me became: is it worth coming here to see the piss being taken every week? For me, the answer was no, not really. It's not everybody and everything, just the people who run it.

I don't regard myself as no longer an Anglican, I just regard myself as an Anglican who can't get decent worship. I know it can be good, but it can also worse than anything anyone with influence cared about would ever be likely to.

[ 25. June 2013, 21:44: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

--------------------
-

-

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

That's GET worse. Get worse than anything anyone with influence cared about would ever be likely to.

So, I can understand a certain amount of anger.

[ 25. June 2013, 21:50: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

--------------------
-

-

St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
You can dress it up as you want, but fucktard means fucking retard and insults some people as badly as nigger would others.

This is true. Just looking at the context in which this word became popular makes it obvious that this is how it originated and what it means. Of course, not everyone knows/accepts this, and many may not intend this meaning when they use it - just like there are some people who use 'gay' as an insult, meaning 'stupid', and insist it has nothing to do with any other meaning of 'gay'. And people who use 'mong' as in insult, insisting it has nothing to do with people who have Down Syndrome. Whether or not this is considered acceptable here, I have no idea - I understand this is Hell, so insults are to be expected - but no prophet is completely correct in what s/he says, and since no one else was saying so, I am saying it.
Etymology is not meaning. A word can have originated as one thing, and now be used to mean something else. (Unless you think that people who say "that movie is so gay" are complaining about how happy and lively it was...)

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
I don't regard myself as no longer an Anglican, I just regard myself as an Anglican who can't get decent worship. I know it can be good, but it can also worse than anything anyone with influence cared about would ever be likely to.

I guess you're just in for a world of pain, then.

As Wordsworth said, I'd rather be a Pagan suckled on a creed outworn, than put up with 'church' as you describe it.

--------------------

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

Oh, but I stopped putting up with it! I just stay away. I've been going to services of another denomination occasionally, and loving them, and I go to weekday sermonless no-frills eucharists occasionally, where there's nothing to foul up, or perhaps, let's say, where their minimal effort goes well with the desired simplicity. I regard myself as an Anglican who can't get decent worship, but I don't feel I'm missing out when I stay home on Sunday, because there's nothing worth attending I could physically get to at present.

[ 26. June 2013, 17:45: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

--------------------
-

-

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St Deird:
Etymology is not meaning. A word can have originated as one thing, and now be used to mean something else. (Unless you think that people who say "that movie is so gay" are complaining about how happy and lively it was...)

Of course words change meaning over time. But fucktard is pretty recent as a term, and really hasn't had chance to change. People are generally aware that it's developed as an amalgamation of 'fucking retard', because its development has been in the past few years.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
. I regard myself as an Anglican who can't get decent worship,

I didn't think worship was something we got, rather something we offered.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

I offer worship every day. You read my entire post and you thought it was important you put me in my place with a funny? I am not a bad Christian for not offering myself up to witness shoddy work done by bored and intellectually dishonest people.

--------------------
-

-

irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So why are you a bad Christian?

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

I refuse to equate humility with making excuses for the misuse of earthly authority. We know where that leads.

--------------------
-

-

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I am not a bad Christian for not offering myself up to witness shoddy work done by bored and intellectually dishonest people.

AFAIK immodesty isn't a sin but its awfully tiresome.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

Where is the immodesty in anything I've said here?

--------------------
-

-

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Where is the immodesty in anything I've said here?

Here

"I offer worship every day. You read my entire post and you thought it was important you put me in my place with a funny? I am not a bad Christian for not offering myself up to witness shoddy work done by bored and intellectually dishonest people."

and

"I refuse to equate humility with making excuses for the misuse of earthly authority. We know where that leads."

If you can't recognise immodesty in those posts then it is all but assured.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

Oh wow, you're really equating self-abasement to human authority with humility? Amazing.

So however bad a job someone does, it's out of line for anyone to follow their conscience in reacting to that. Forever and ever.

I can't agree.

[ 26. June 2013, 23:20: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

--------------------
-

-

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think what Sioni Sais is saying is, "So you think you are all that?"

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

That only makes any sense if you assume my complaints can't be valid because they're priests.

--------------------
-

-

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

I mean, there is a difference between well and badly done ritual, music, preaching, etc., you know? I have enough experience on both sides of the chancel step to be confident in my judgement of the difference. Refusing to accept a fucking chiding for expressing this judgement is not immodesty.

--------------------
-

-

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I mean, there is a difference between well and badly done ritual, music, preaching, etc., you know? I have enough experience on both sides of the chancel step to be confident in my judgement of the difference. Refusing to accept a fucking chiding for expressing this judgement is not immodesty.

I suppose my beef in all of this is: just how much does that hour or two on a Sunday morning (plus perhaps another meeting at some other time during the week) really matter to you? Is that the extent of your faith? If so, you have a serious problem because it is outside your control.

The remaining 165 (or so) of 168 hours a week your "Christian Experience" is hardly affected, except by worrying about what goes on in the shack.

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
-

-

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Some of you are being damn nitpicky with plique-a-jour. and I don't often go around taking issue with Hell attacks.

And you know what?i can totally understand that stuff mattering. I don't have a church or service I can call 'home' right now, and it sucks. And I couldn't just settle for any old service as if the nature of the experience I have on a Sunday didn't matter to me.

[ 27. June 2013, 02:38: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm 50 miles and a 27 hour round trip from the nearest Anglican church. I'd be overjoyed to be able to share in Holy Communion regularly, even carried out in the slightly ham-fisted way it can be in the CofE. Excellent preaching and thoughtful liturgy and beautiful music are beneficial and pleasant, but they pale in comparison to the fact of the Eucharistic celebration.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How dare I uphold the teaching and doctrine of the Ancient Catholic Church according to the Reformed and Protestant Church of England. The BCP and Articles are not inspired of themselves but derive their infallible authority from the Scriptures and the Fathers interpreting the same.

Being bullied is par for the course if you are an orthodox Christian believer in the C of E today.

But let's not be too scruputous. Our faith is all about bringing people to salvation through Jesus: "If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous, and he is the propitiation for our sins."

But this is a very mean spirited thread.

Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
How dare I uphold the teaching and doctrine of the Ancient Catholic Church according to the Reformed and Protestant Church of England. The BCP and Articles are not inspired of themselves but derive their infallible authority from the Scriptures and the Fathers interpreting the same.

Seriously?

The BCP and Articles are infallible? Seriously?

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe it's a mirror.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Being bullied is par for the course if you are an orthodox Christian believer in the C of E today.

But let's not be too scruputous. Our faith is all about bringing people to salvation through Jesus: "If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous, and he is the propitiation for our sins."

I've stood up for orthodox belief and Anglicanism on these boards many times, Indifferently, and I think you are a hateful, narrow-minded idiot and a bigot.
Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mean spirited even.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
I'm 50 miles and a 27 hour round trip from the nearest Anglican church. I'd be overjoyed to be able to share in Holy Communion regularly, even carried out in the slightly ham-fisted way it can be in the CofE. Excellent preaching and thoughtful liturgy and beautiful music are beneficial and pleasant, but they pale in comparison to the fact of the Eucharistic celebration.

I am blessed by having a nearby church with beautiful music and excellent preaching. However, I agree with Arethosemyfeet that the Eucharist is what really matters.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:

I've stood up for orthodox belief and Anglicanism on these boards many times, Indifferently, and I think you are a hateful, narrow-minded idiot and a bigot.
Judge not and ye shall not be judged.

Sorry, that's another anachronism the Authorized Version, the only reliable English-language translation of the scriptures, ousted from our churches because it actually renders the Gospel as intended unlike liberal heretical bibles like NRSV and The Message.

But I fail to see how it is I that is the bigot when I have thus far refrained from hateful personal attacks like your post above.

Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indifferently babbled:

quote:
But I fail to see how it is I that is the bigot when I have thus far refrained from hateful personal attacks like your post above.
It's Hell little one. By posting here you paint a big target on your ample backside.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:

Judge not and ye shall not be judged.

Sorry, that's another anachronism the Authorized Version, the only reliable English-language translation of the scriptures, ousted from our churches because it actually renders the Gospel as intended unlike liberal heretical bibles like NRSV and The Message.

The Message is a paraphrase, it's not intended to be a Bible. Paraphrases of the Bible were common in medieval times, The Message is just an up-to-date version.

I have certainly never seen The Message being used in churches. Most Anglican churches use the NIV, with some higher churches using the NRSV.

I must say I'm surprised that people as conservative as yourself are in favour of the AV, considering that notorious homosexual James I was behind it, and supposedly Shakespeare (almost certainly at least bisexual) was brought in to bring some of the Psalms into shape. But then I guess for you, James I had Divine Right....did that include the right to have Scripture interpreted for political reasons? Using 'Easter' instead of Passover seems incredibly political.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Elsewhere he babbleth:

"Sexism? Where exactly does this anti-Marxist thought crime appear in the Bible?

Leftists showing their hand again - all the arguments for priestesses and bishopesses have to be secular because the Catholic argument for it is completely non-existent. This is nothing but a Marxist infiltration job and I for one am not fooled."

From which we learn that Indifferently doesn't see anything wrong with sexism, so back to the kitchen you Marxist God-hater and be about your wenchly duties!

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was under the impression that 'priestess' and 'bishopess' to describe female priests and bishops was not looked upon kindly on the Ship?

[ 27. June 2013, 13:16: Message edited by: Jade Constable ]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Elsewhere he babbleth:

"Sexism? Where exactly does this anti-Marxist thought crime appear in the Bible?

Leftists showing their hand again - all the arguments for priestesses and bishopesses have to be secular because the Catholic argument for it is completely non-existent. This is nothing but a Marxist infiltration job and I for one am not fooled."

From which we learn that Indifferently doesn't see anything wrong with sexism, so back to the kitchen you Marxist God-hater and be about your wenchly duties!

You'd think that a member of the Anglican church would value anyone but women in the kitchen, going by our coffee....

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016