homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Girl Guides and God - i smell a rat (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Girl Guides and God - i smell a rat
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One person mentions the "A" word and the thread goes clippety-clop, clippety-clop on the track that leads only to the knacker's yard.

There's no way this is going to return to Dead Horses (Louise and TonyK don't deserve it for a start), so please broaden the outlook of this thread. The OP had plenty of 'other' lines of argument, so use them.

In short, you're gonna have to think before you post. Aren't we bastards?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter is at Guides right now. She has promised a full and frank disclosure when she gets home. She says she'd welcome the introduction of depraved sex 'cos Strip Poker with the Scouts is getting tedious.

She's also pleased that the Wail is presenting Guiding in a more appealing light, unlike previous headlines "Campfire smoke gives you CANCER!" "'Smores give you CANCER" etc etc etc.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would the Fail even know what smores are? I've never seen anyone in Britain actually eat them, I just know about them from pinterest....

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Things that we can rely on: death, taxes, the sun rising and Indifferently being offended sometime before breakfast about how the world has deteriorated since 1735.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Would the Fail even know what smores are? I've never seen anyone in Britain actually eat them, I just know about them from pinterest....

They were called smores when I was at Guides, and my daughter's Guides call them that, too.
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Alright you just proved that the Guides are satanic. Not only that but most of Britain is as well. Not eating or knowing what s'mores are is truly heretical.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Google says they involve Graham crackers, but we made them by heating a marshmallow over a campfire and squashing it between two chocolate digestive biscuits.

Sticky, melty, glorious.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Especially with artisan marshmallow, small batch chocolate and homemade grahams, drool
Best, post lesbian orgy snack ever!

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops, cross posted you can exclude Scotland from my conclusion.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
quote:

They were called smores when I was at Guides, and my daughter's Guides call them that, too.
Clearly, some kind of Episcopalian conspiracy! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

Okay multiple cross posts. Jade is the only heretic and everybody is apparently trying to hide the fact that s'mores exists from her.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you make your s'mores with Hershey's, than I shall have to convert so that I may properly damn you to Hell.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Indeed, marriage with no contraception is a very, erm, fertile ground for almost continuous pregnancy and all that entails. With no need to act like sex crazed animals, unless you consider anything more often than once every few years as "sex crazed".

Lactational amenorrhea can easily result in a natural 2-4 year spacing between children.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not necessarily. My grandmother thought she couldn't get pregnant when nursing, which is why her second child was born scarcely a year after the first.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Not necessarily. My grandmother thought she couldn't get pregnant when nursing, which is why her second child was born scarcely a year after the first.

Quite. "can". It varies a lot, depending on the woman, and on how much and how often the child nurses. I also understand that some women find it easy to tell when they have ovulated, but others find it difficult (so you might not get any warning of when it stops working).
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

Quite. "can". It varies a lot, depending on the woman, and on how much and how often the child nurses. I also understand that some women find it easy to tell when they have ovulated, but others find it difficult (so you might not get any warning of when it stops working).
As Missus says in 101 Dalmations, how can you depend on something that depends?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Daughter is home from Guides. No depraved sex tonight, lesbian or otherwise. Perhaps it'll take another week for the new pro-abortion, pro-condoms, pro-depraved sex, left-wing, manifesto to be imposed at grass roots level.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that Indifferently doesn't like the idea of women/girls getting together somewhere doing stuff and talking about stuff where neither he, nor any other similar superior being can find out what it is.

Rather like the Roman emperors not liking people having dinner clubs, or Charlemagne not liking gilds, or Charles II not liking coffee shops. "It happens where I can't see or hear so it must be subversive or perverted, or in some other way WRONG."

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

If you want to depend on it, I'd recommend additional measures. If you're just asking what the natural consequences of "marriage with no contraception" are, then averages and spread are more relevant.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

If you want to depend on it, I'd recommend additional measures. If you're just asking what the natural consequences of "marriage with no contraception" are, then averages and spread are more relevant.
If the claim is made, You don't need "artificial" birth control when you're breastfeeding, then averages don't mean a thing; it's a lie.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If the claim is made, You don't need "artificial" birth control when you're breastfeeding, then averages don't mean a thing; it's a lie.

Years ago I had a part-time job typing up research papers in reproductive biology. One was a study on the contraceptive effects of breast feeding, and the mechanisms (eg frequency of suckling, levels of various maternal hormones etc) whereby it was effective - or not.

I don't know where that line of research is at currently, but it tended to suggest that you could discover that.

But possibly the level of monitoring would be too intrusive, so practically you would have to recommend breast feeding+

[ 28. June 2013, 06:16: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My nephew's wife is a midwife and thought when breastfeeding her first that she was safe - there are exactly 11 months between her first two!

Her response when finding herself pregnant with her second was suitably hellish but he has grown up into a lovely young man.

p.s. I don't think she was ever a Guide so never had the chance to experience Hot Lesbian Sex - pity that.

[ 28. June 2013, 08:18: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's suppose that a two year gap is on average created by lactation. That still means that a woman marrying at 25 in Indifferentlyland will quite possibly have a baby every two years from 25 to around 50, which is around 12 pregnancies.

Of course she probably won't; I know a number of women who after their third or fourth pregnancy would be in risk of their lives if they got pregnant again. What Indifferently's ideal would actually mean would be more deaths in childbirth, more orphans, more families stretched into poverty by the size of their families, and more coathanger jobs in the back alleys. It's not somewhere any rational person would want to go.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot to mention - it does also guarantee that women will be pretty much forced into being housewives, since a good proportion of the time they'd be pregnant or nursing and it would be virtually impossible for both partners to work and also afford childcare. It's no mistake that the sorts of people who advocate this "morality" are also the ones who view feminism with disdain and rail against parents who use childcare so that both can have a career. It all fits together, and the picture it reveals is not a good one.

[ 28. June 2013, 08:30: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's interesting that capitalism has forced women into the workplace in many ways; so that conservatives are caught in a kind of trap, since most of them support capitalism, yet it has brought about this (partial) emancipation of women, which perhaps some of them fear and hate.

But I suppose there are Christian right-wingers who detest capitalism also, and yearn for some weird kind of pseudo-feudal regime, well, I'm not sure what it is really. The Nazis had similar yearnings, didn't they, OK, Godwin, etc.

Kinder, Küche, Kirche, (umlauts rule ök).

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that there have traditionally been plenty of right-wingers* who detest capitalism, and most of those (who remain) are, I would have thought, likely to identify themselves as Christian. Capitalism- certainly neo-liberal Anglo-Saxon capitalism- almost by defintion challenges the kind of settled, hierarchical, but interdependent, relationships that underpin traditional conservatism.

There's a strong current of opposition to or at least scepticism about capitalism in a lot of traditional (Roman) Catholic thought; other positions which spring to mind are Southern Agrarianism and its heirs in the US, and the earlier C20 Green movement as developed by people like Lord Northbourne and Rolf Gardiner, and continued by e.g. Roger Scruton in the UK. Many of these certainly are or were neo-feudalists, but British one-nation Conservatism has accepted capitalism but always thought that it needed to be kept under tight control and subordinated to a wider notion of the common good: and as I think Adrian Hastings has pointed out, the British Conservative governments of the 1950s (which are seen as the epitome of this kind of Conservatism in the C20) were dominated by serious practising Anglicans like Macmillan, Heath, and Butler.

*If 'right wing' is taken as referring primarily to social rather than economic values.

[ 28. June 2013, 09:49: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, firstly there no contraceptive method that is one hundred percent foolproof. Even total abstinence has failed on one occasion.
So utilising breast feeding as contraception is a recognised form of contraception. It just has a high failure rate. But all forms have a failure rate.

Now, back to your bickering; so you can get your argumentative merit badge.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

(muses on what a "depraved sex" badge might look like....) (wants to get one for camp blanket)

(tangent - any Guide person who wants to swop badges, pm me. I have swopsies!!)

Haydee
Shipmate
# 14734

- Posted      Profile for Haydee   Email Haydee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My (GG-belonging) daughter's prospective high school has a debating club - and wanted to know what 'debating' was...

So, given the connection between 'debating' and 'arguing', I am happy to report that arguing is part of the Commonwealth Award badge [Snigger]

Not that she needs any encouragement...

Haydee
Shipmate
# 14734

- Posted      Profile for Haydee   Email Haydee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(muses on what a "depraved sex" badge might look like....) (wants to get one for camp blanket)

(tangent - any Guide person who wants to swop badges, pm me. I have swopsies!!)

The winning entry will win the Very Graphic Designer badge...
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Let's suppose that a two year gap is on average created by lactation. That still means that a woman marrying at 25 in Indifferentlyland will quite possibly have a baby every two years from 25 to around 50, which is around 12 pregnancies.

Of course she probably won't; I know a number of women who after their third or fourth pregnancy would be in risk of their lives if they got pregnant again. What Indifferently's ideal would actually mean would be more deaths in childbirth, more orphans, more families stretched into poverty by the size of their families, and more coathanger jobs in the back alleys. It's not somewhere any rational person would want to go.

Totally agree with that, but must add the issue once heavily hinted at as "women's troubles". My mother had a prolapse some time after the third of us, and it wasn't the worst sort.
I heard on the radio once, long ago, reference to aa report (possibly a Rowntree one) on women's lives in the East End of London. There the women were expected to submit to their drunken husbands every Friday night, even when they had such bad prolapses that they could hardly walk. Some had to go up and downstairs sitting, because they could not manage them standing. they were also expected to keep the place spotless (in the days of smokey fires, smoke from the trains and the power stations), do the laundry (in the days of coppers and mangles) and have a meal on the table for the male when he got home from work. I dare say these were exceptional cases, and there were loving relationships in those tiny terraces, but this is where masculism of Indifferently's sort leads for some, and enough women for it to be written up as a characteristic of an area. While they could be made pregnant, they were made pregnant, and one thing is fairly obvious, that the female human body is not made to bear multiple pregnancies. And it's no use looking at Genesis for an explanation, because that just makes God nasty.
Of course, in the past, many were not aware of this sort of appalling physical cost of pregnancy because of that coyness about "women's troubles", and now people are not aware because it is so much less frequent, so it might be possible to excuse Indifferently for his indifference to the tremendous amount of suffering his beliefs would be imposing, and which he would never himself experience.

[ 28. June 2013, 11:27: Message edited by: Penny S ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
Ok, firstly there no contraceptive method that is one hundred percent foolproof. Even total abstinence has failed on one occasion.
So utilising breast feeding as contraception is a recognised form of contraception. It just has a high failure rate. But all forms have a failure rate.

But do you not see the difference between "has a failure rate" and "has a high failure rate"? If we're going to recommend a birth control method to someone who wants or needs birth control, shouldn't we be recommending ones with a low failure rate? (If only relatively so speaking?)

--------------------

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Daughter is home from Guides. No depraved sex tonight, lesbian or otherwise. Perhaps it'll take another week for the new pro-abortion, pro-condoms, pro-depraved sex, left-wing, manifesto to be imposed at grass roots level.

Sometimes I'm SO glad that my daughters joined the Scouts instead...

I don't like the new promise but more for its wishy-washy 'be true to my beliefs' approach than the exclusion of God. It sounds like management-speak taken to new heights (or depths) to avoid meaning anything. And while I'm sure that 'serving my community' made sense in the eyes of the writers as (cliché alert) helping little old ladies cross the road, the use of 'community' nowadays could mean it covers any number of things.

Perhaps the OP is right, and the new promise allows Guides to help the crazed lesbian community develop their baby-killing beliefs? [Biased]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

But do you not see the difference between "has a failure rate" and "has a high failure rate"? If we're going to recommend a birth control method to someone who wants or needs birth control, shouldn't we be recommending ones with a low failure rate? (If only relatively so speaking?)
Absolutely. I wouldn't recommend it alone unless the parents accepted they may become pregnant again utilising it. For parents planning multiple children, often the contraceptive approach is not actively trying as opposed to not actively preventing.

Nor do I recommend the Billng's method.

But neither are a lie.

[ 28. June 2013, 19:54: Message edited by: Patdys ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
But neither are a lie.

It depends on how honestly they are presented.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

I think you may be being a little dogmatic on this topic mousie. As I suspect so am I. There is probably a merit badge for that too.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think you may be being a little dogmatic on this topic mousie. As I suspect so am I. There is probably a merit badge for that too.

right next to the Anal-Retentive Douchebag Badge.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I think you may be being a little dogmatic on this topic mousie.

On the topic of dishonestly presenting something as more efficacious as it really is? Yes, I am a little dogmatic on dishonesty. Mea culpa.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I would be interested to know how total abstinence failed once.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
(I would be interested to know how total abstinence failed once.)

I suspect it involved a girl named Mary who said she talked to angels. she said they all know her name.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
comet: I suspect it involved a girl named Mary
D'oh! Is that it?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
Really? Hitchens yearns for disgruntled Guides to quit and form a 'pro-Christian breakaway'.

*sigh* Of course- of course!- this has already happened in the States. They're called "American Heritage Girls". They claim to have been disappointed by the "increasing secular focus" of Scouting which I assume means environmentalism and Girl Power. (The Girl Scouts still promise to serve God and country, and they still can earn religious badges, but that's not good enough for some people...)
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
squidgetsmum
Apprentice
# 17708

- Posted      Profile for squidgetsmum   Email squidgetsmum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Haydee:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by North East Quine:
[qb] (muses on what a "depraved sex" badge might look like....) (wants to get one for camp blanket)

It's gotta be party badge one, surely? I mean, there are parties and then there are parties..
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

The Party badge involves a list of invitees and 3 different activities...Yup, you're right, it would be the Party badge.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Party badge involves a list of invitees and 3 different activities...Yup, you're right, it would be the Party badge.

If it involves the "Can I bring a friend?" question, that would be a very valuable badge.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, darn...the Girl Scouts of the USA isn't anywhere near as deprived...

We still have God in the promise and don't have a party badge at any level. [Frown]

We do have a badge for using good manners with strangers (Brownie) and one for having a dinner party (Ambassador).

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Ultra confused] Good grief, I HAVE the Depraved Sex badge and never knew it until now! Except in my day it was called the Hostess Badge...

(this seems to be turning into a Circus thread)

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
[Ultra confused] Good grief, I HAVE the Depraved Sex badge and never knew it until now! Except in my day it was called the Hostess Badge...

Obviously there are some usages of 'Hostess' with which Senior Guiding circles were unfamiliar.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Devil]
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
squidgetsmum
Apprentice
# 17708

- Posted      Profile for squidgetsmum   Email squidgetsmum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shit, me too!

Grooming. By God, we really are depraved...

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016