homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » To make sure it never happens again

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: To make sure it never happens again
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When will we ever hear the end of this mantra?

The latest occasion is the BBC admitting it overpaid severance pay to managers.

The Health service; the Social services; the politicians; every Dept of Govt and Public service. All caught up in on-going scandals. And, every time the mantra, we will make sure it never happens again. It does. With unfailing regularity.

What can be done? I for one am at my wits end with exasperation and anger. And I am equally angry that the Church is part and parcel of all this.

Help!

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:

The Health service; the Social services; the politicians; every Dept of Govt and Public service. All caught up in on-going scandals. And, every time the mantra, we will make sure it never happens again. It does. With unfailing regularity.

How about doing things the way we Americans do it? Well, no, that wouldn't work. Routine public stonings of government officials and employees, maybe?

quote:
What can be done? I for one am at my wits end with exasperation and anger.
Explore the power of positive drinking.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

- Posted      Profile for DouglasTheOtter   Author's homepage   Email DouglasTheOtter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any organisation with humans in is fallible.

--------------------
Need writing or copywriting? Visit me at...

www.rjpmedia.net

Posts: 171 | From: Twickenham | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:

What can be done? I for one am at my wits end with exasperation and anger. And I am equally angry that the Church is part and parcel of all this.

Help!

When will it stop? When people stop being people. You think the private sector is better? The banks? The management consultants? The factories? The privatised corporations?

I've heard it said and suspect it to be true that the largest possible non-corrupt organisation is around 150. One person of exceptional integrity and drive can manage about a dozen people at the outside and make sure they all share the same vision and ideals. Each of them can manage about a dozen at most and make sure they are all competent and honest. Three levels is too many, and more than a dozen per person is too many. And this is a best case scenario.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In any organization the top dogs find ways to get extra bennies to favorite people, usually in "exchange" for past or future bennies from those people.

I.e. it will never end.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Transparency.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turn the public finances over to the bankers, national security to G4S, the health system to those that ran Southern Cross, put the roads to the rail franchises as well and trust that the education system is safe in the hands of privatised exam boards.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shamwari, I suspect you will not approve of this, but there comes a time in the life of all of us, that we have to accept that even those who in many ways are worthy, and not just those who are not, also have feet of clay. Even our heroes do not live up to all the virtue we would like to attribute to them. However, that does not necessarily mean they are bad people, or that they have let us down, just imperfect. They are not that different from us. The main difference is merely that they are prominent and we are not. Nor is it all some vast conspiracy.

So it is now. So it always was, except that they might not have been found out, or they were able to sit on the laurels of complacency in ways one cannot get away with now. So, alas, it always will be.

So do not be at your 'wits end with exasperation and anger'. It only consumes energy. Concentrate on ensuring that the one part of the human universe over which you do have some control, i.e. you, acts with integrity.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it flies, this thread is bound to be a rant. So over to Hell you go for unbridledness.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Transparency.

Don't make me fucking choke.

The CRAP party was elected in Canada with a big blaring promise of transparency in government and since then has managed to sail past former governments and, indeed, the Kremlin in hiding and and backroom deals.

Transparency. It is to laugh. And I laugh at you in all your naivete.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Transparency.

We have "transparency" in UK central and local government too, but it's through a lens that refracts (ie, bends, obscures and deflects) and sometimes reflects.

There's still a separation between the governing and the governed, just as there is between the decision makers in business and the common herd.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sensible as Enoch's post is, I'm glad this was transferred to Hell.

'Lessons will be learned!' [Mad]

Translated it means: 'Wait a fortnight and they'll forget.'

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
'Lessons will be learned!' [Mad]

Translated it means: 'Wait a fortnight and they'll forget.'

And here was me thinking it meant "we'll learn how to stop you finding out next time"...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raptor, Marvin:

C.) Both of the above.

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good point, well made.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IT just happened again! The contracted out NHS 111 urgent care telephone service has just started falling over

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My objection to it is actually the opposite. It seems to me to treat the public like children, because to me the adult position is that everyone makes mistakes. The point is to learn and make incremental improvements, not build a structure of which paranoid fear of further error is the foundation, because this makes everything grind to a halt and, as an added extra, makes further failure inevitable. "We'll do better in future" seems to me to be a far more healthy and realistic attitude. I don't want people making promises they can't keep and then being held in the grip of the paranoia thereby created.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:
... "We'll do better in future" seems to me to be a far more healthy and realistic attitude. I don't want people making promises they can't keep and then being held in the grip of the paranoia thereby created.

My cynicism abounds here - whilst we might hear those words, the meaning is likely to be closer to, "We'll do our best to ensure that you think we'll do better in future ..."

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darllenwr:
quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:
... "We'll do better in future" seems to me to be a far more healthy and realistic attitude. I don't want people making promises they can't keep and then being held in the grip of the paranoia thereby created.

My cynicism abounds here - whilst we might hear those words, the meaning is likely to be closer to, "We'll do our best to ensure that you think we'll do better in future ..."
My cynicism is even deeper-rooted. I'm sure many of those who say "We'll do better in future" feel that by saying so all is now well. Actually putting serious changes in place that ensure the mistakes cannot be repeated is such a counter-cultural concept that it rarely happens.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
The CRAP party

Good one, PeteC
[Killing me]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
The CRAP party

Good one, PeteC
[Killing me]

The Alliance was called that briefly back in 2000 or so, approved by convention no less - Conservative-Reform Alliance Party. Then the media abbreviated it and boy,howdy, did they ever change their mind* fast.

*Only one mind. Vide Ender's Shadow

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What makes you think that any public body can be made incorruptable or even infallible.

They are stocked by people who have no personal investement in making them work.

They are stocked by people spending other peoples money on other people with no benefit to themselves so why should they give a shit?

They only thing you can do it beat them with a stick if they fail. If they get it right they get no reward because people like you lot don't like people getting rewards for doing good, only beating them up if they do badly.

Of course they don't give a toss about doing well, and yes they're going to try to hide it. Welcome to the left-wing public services. Enjoy it, it's what you wanted.

[ 07. July 2013, 18:56: Message edited by: deano ]

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

- Posted      Profile for DouglasTheOtter   Author's homepage   Email DouglasTheOtter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What does being left-wing have to do with it?

--------------------
Need writing or copywriting? Visit me at...

www.rjpmedia.net

Posts: 171 | From: Twickenham | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think deano would like to be a right-wind dictator who could only be removed from office by a violent coup or a war. Such a situation would obviously lead to a wonderful golden age, since the consequence of failing would be the mob at the gates.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

I hope that the next doctor or nurse that treats Deano for a life threatening condition forgets their public service ethos for a moment. May they make him suffer or euthanize his pointless existence.

To treat the little shit with compassion and professionalism would be against the greater public good. Either way it disproves his sad little dogma.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PeteC darling, that isn't a failure of transparency, that is a failure to be transparent.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
What makes you think that any public body can be made incorruptable or even infallible.

They are stocked by people who have no personal investement in making them work.

They are stocked by people spending other peoples money on other people with no benefit to themselves so why should they give a shit?

They only thing you can do it beat them with a stick if they fail. If they get it right they get no reward because people like you lot don't like people getting rewards for doing good, only beating them up if they do badly.

Of course they don't give a toss about doing well, and yes they're going to try to hide it. Welcome to the left-wing public services. Enjoy it, it's what you wanted.

You are a sad little turd, aren't you? YOU might only be able to be motivated by money and fear of the "big stick", but some of us in the public sector believe that what we do matters and that it's important it's done well - as in, for example, the next time you need your head surgically removing from your arse. Although I'd suggest in this case that recurrence is prevented by also removing it from your neck. There'd clearly be very little in the way of moral fibre to saw through.

And really, bleating about "our lot" not liking "rewarding people" - who's the first to complain if anyone in the civil service gets a bonus? - Oh yes, that well known bastion of neo-communist values, the Daily Heil

Tit.

[ 16. July 2013, 08:11: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

... and that's different from private-sector employees how?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Listening to some of the reports on the BBC overpayments, the apologias made it sound a little like an accidental oversight from a management who didn't know what was going on, or how these regrettable things were happening:

'Oh dear! I appear to have inadvertently written a cheque for nearly £400,000, to someone who's leaving the Corporation, basically for muffing things up. And now somebody's complaining about it! Well, that's me told! I mustn't do that again. [pause] What? Someone moving on from the BBC? How much would you like? £375,000 be enough....? Doh, did it again!'

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:

That in the private sector (or more accurately the large scale private sector) the above is considered a feature, not a bug?

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:

That in the private sector (or more accurately the large scale private sector) the above is considered a feature, not a bug?
More than that, if you work in the private sector and you make money for yourself then you will be held up as an example of a successful trader, entrepreneur or consultant. If you do the same in the public sector, you'll end up in prison, ministers may have to resign and the Daily Mail and its friends will have a field day frothing over corrupt government.

I kid you not - there is a definite "What will the Daily Mail say?" strand to every initiative proposed within the public sector.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There must be a difference in attitude and culture between the private sector who are out to make money and the public sector who are spending other people's money, doesn't there?

Although both are supposed to be providing the best service possible, as efficiently as possible economically (while ensuring the welfare of employees), in the end the bottom line is important for both in different ways.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's why I specifically said private sector employees.

If you're an employee, then you have no or minimal stake in the company (in terms of equity), and, if you've got budget responsibilities, then you're spending shareholders' money, not your own.

This is true all the way to the top in anything other than an owner-managed concern. AIUI, one of the major causes of the financial crisis was that mechanisms in banks that were supposed to align managers' and traders' interests to shareholders' interests didn't work.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
There must be a difference in attitude and culture between the private sector who are out to make money and the public sector who are spending other people's money, doesn't there? ...

I sort of work in the public sector, and with rare exceptions, everyone I've worked with and for is very much aware we are spending public money. That is why we a) try to get the most bang for our buck*, b) stick to our core mission, and c) have an audit trail for every penny. And remember, people who steal from their employer get fired; people who steal from the government get in the news. I do believe this contributes to a perception that there is more waste or malfeasance in the public sector. Since our work is for the public, our screw-ups have to be public too.

*Don't mention the $900 toilet seat, or I'll have to bore you all with how our purchasing department sources stuff and saves us money and time, which is also money.

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

Employees below 'management level' tend to get a raw deal in both sectors, in the public sector to keep the costs down for the public, in the private sector as they're given a 'going rate' set by those with vested interests.

As we're in hell, I can vent my anger at the expression 'pay peanuts and get monkeys' [Mad] In my experience, the opposite is the case: those on low pay are left there as they're too useful where they are and their managers take the credit for their hard work. Those on low pay are rarely given allowances for expenses, and must jump through hoops to receive legitimate out of pocket expenses.

It's those on higher pay who are meant to lead by example, to create the right ethos in the workplace whether public or private, to ensure that the service quality is exceptional, to see that remuneration is fair and never excessive, and that systems are in place to prevent anyone from taking undue advantage of a position of power and trust. That's why they're paid a higher salary. There should be no bonus if they succeed, no flat rate expenses, no golden handshakes. These have infiltrated the public sector from the private sector, along with the 'pay peanuts and get monkeys' line [Mad]

I remain unconvinced as to their wisdom or validity in either sector. In theory, they affect ordinary people less in the private sector unless they're shareholders. But then, we remember the bankers......

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I kid you not - there is a definite "What will the Daily Mail say?" strand to every initiative proposed within the public sector.

Not every initiative within the entire public sector. But certainly within the civil service at policy level. Zoom in too far (e.g. on a single hospital department) and people don't worry so much about it.
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of Mail readers seem to think that if they get in enough of a pout, they'll be let off paying taxes. No, you'll carry on paying, and a certain percentage of people within the public sector will continue to cart off as much money as they think they can get away with, because they're human and humans want to benefit themselves, not disadvantage themselves. What is there that anyone old enough to be paying taxes fails to comprehend about the situation? It's like getting angry about geography.

quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
Turn the public finances over to the bankers, national security to G4S, the health system to those that ran Southern Cross, put the roads to the rail franchises as well and trust that the education system is safe in the hands of privatised exam boards.

This is where the media's discourse of pretend outrage is intended to lead us, of course.

[ 15. August 2013, 06:13: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

--------------------
-

-

Posts: 333 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Of course, as soror magna well knows, this does not apply to the members of the Canadian Houses of Parliament.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016