homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Do you find these English things Bizarre? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Do you find these English things Bizarre?
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grokesx:
I think many of us in the UK agree with the sentiment often attributed to Sir Thomas Beeching:

quote:
You should try everything once except incest and morris dancing

Beecham - as in Beecham's powders; not Beeching - as in bolloxed up the Railway system. His first name was Richard anyway.

I seem to think the quote was 'You should try everything once except incest and country dancing.' However, as I take a modicum of exercise in form of (English) country dancing I have to be a bit careful about using that one!

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
2) The Mother of All Parliaments.
Here! Here!
Featuring: Black Rod, ‘honourable gentlemen’, the speaker in his gown and a host of other customs (including shutting our head of state out). Not to mention the other place containing hereditary peers in a ‘democracy’.

The Parliament of Canada, the Eldest Daughter, has all of those things! Our Constitution even says that "Canada shall have a constitution similar in principle to that of Great Britain."

Our Senate is appointed by the Prime Minister and its essentially 105 Dinosaurs, er, Life Peers.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rhythm Methodist:

quote:
Thanks, The Midge.

A nice reminder to our friends in the colonies of the heritage they have lost by being rebellious.

Perhaps - on the strength of that - they would like to reconsider their position, and repent of their wrong-headed attitude to British rule?

While I'm sure that most British people would have taken the above as a tongue-in-cheek, self-mocking reference to the limited appeal of our culture and foibles, it seems I may offended a couple of our American friends....for which I unreservedly apologise.

I can only imagine that a sense of irony is also an eccentricity peculiar to the English.

Nah, you didn't offend me. Not at all! But the Internet isn't very good at conveying irony, British or otherwise. I did notice the self-mockery, though.

Although our defensiveness about those sorts of comments is probably an American eccentricity. We're the "land of the second son," after all, and so it's in our DNA that we have to prove ourselves to Europeans. That quickly becomes a chip on our shoulder. As a "mid-coast" (Great Lakes) native on the US West Coast, I've noticed a similar dynamic out here vis-à-vis the US East Coast. I'm also a youngest child, and I remember always feeling the need (real or imagined) to prove myself to be mature, smart, or whatever, in my older sisters' eyes.

But then again, our relationship with the UK has been like a child who grows up, becomes successful, and sticks its mother in a home. So maybe you Brits have your own sort of defensiveness toward us! [Razz]

I'm from a city where people notoriously didn't seem to care who was ruling them - France, US, England, whatever. Apparently they still spoke French in Detroit for a while after the city became US (it had been part of Upper Canada, which was French at the time). Our city's flag features the 3 flags that have flown over the city, but the French and British flags aren't the Tricoleur or the Union Jack. (The British flag only flew over Detroit for a bit during the War of 1812; the general who surrendered it to the British remains the only US general to ever be executed for "military incompetence"!)

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Haydee
Shipmate
# 14734

- Posted      Profile for Haydee   Email Haydee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
3.5 The pitcher of cream
No, seriously, what's up with that? I might occasionally have ice cream or whipped cream on a piece of pie (sharp cheddar, if it's apple), but pouring heavy cream on everything from treacle tarts to sticky toffee pudding isn't something I would have ever thought to have done.

Or even better - clotted cream.

One heats thick (double) cream slowly for 8 hours or so until it is even thicker.

Sadly non-existent in this previous colony...

[ 02. June 2013, 06:50: Message edited by: Haydee ]

Haydee
Shipmate
# 14734

- Posted      Profile for Haydee   Email Haydee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clotted cream being thick (double) cream that is heated gently for about 8 hours until it is almost solid...
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Haydee:
quote:
3.5 The pitcher of cream
No, seriously, what's up with that? I might occasionally have ice cream or whipped cream on a piece of pie (sharp cheddar, if it's apple), but pouring heavy cream on everything from treacle tarts to sticky toffee pudding isn't something I would have ever thought to have done.

Or even better - clotted cream.

One heats thick (double) cream slowly for 8 hours or so until it is even thicker.

Sadly non-existent in this previous colony...

There are so many regional variations in England that this could not possibly be an English trait. Here we use hot custard, even on cold deserts (and all deserts are called 'pudding', especially if they are not literally pudding.

Cream on everything is for the Southern bit of England.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My own list includes

Accent as a marker of class as a marker of social place.

Mushy Peas.

Sausages made out of bread.

An Unwritten constitution.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
Yes I am a celt, of the Welsh variety -

the English thread is fine, but you say WE are the ones without an anthem?

I present -
Mae hen wlad f'nhadau (The old land of my fathers)

What do the English play if they win in the Commonwealth Games? Being the dominant neighbour yes the UK song came from you. But is it a national anthem or a royal one??

(Ducks and runs back over the border...)

I know to stand when I here that tune as I'm half Welsh. [Two face] It is a fine anthem and mch better than dreary old 'God Save the Queen'.

England should have its own anthem IMNHSO.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tea? Compared to the near-sacramental use of tea in Ireland, the English are coffee sell-out rank amateurs!

However, crap road systems are certainly a peculiarly English fetish. And the penchant to dress men up as women for Panto (very much enjoyed as an export across the Irish Sea).

Morris Dancing; a delightful and slightly dissonant phenomenon of stiff-upper lip bearded, often boozy gentlemen tinkling their bells and waving handkerchiefs. But also on occasion swords and heavy staffs - so don't laugh too loudly [Biased] !

But it is sweetly bizaare how the English think that the National Anthem, the Union Flag and the Royal Family are 'theirs'! As if there would even be an England without the centuries of graft and genius of their Celtic neighbours [Razz] !

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Choosing apple pie in an English restaurant 50-odd years ago I found that if the waiter identified you as English he offered custard with it; if he identified you as American he offered ice cream; and if you appeared to be neither he brought cream.
GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've lived a couple of years on that wonderful island, still go there a lot for business and holidays and consider myself an Anglophile. But what I'll never understand is

a) the state of the railway "system" (leaves on tracks, wrong kind of snow...need I say more?)

a1) why it is so incredibly expensive to travel on that "system"

b) the lack of real, decent shower installations in most homes and B&B's

b1) why the sad electric appliances masquerading as showers are called "power" shower - they're anything but!!

-- still, it's a great country

[Axe murder]

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vinegar on french fries (chips).
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Thanks, The Midge.

A nice reminder to our friends in the colonies of the heritage they have lost by being rebellious.

Perhaps - on the strength of that - they would like to reconsider their position, and repent of their wrong-headed attitude to British rule?

While I'm sure that most British people would have taken the above as a tongue-in-cheek, self-mocking reference to the limited appeal of our culture and foibles, it seems I may offended a couple of our American friends....for which I unreservedly apologise.

I can only imagine that a sense of irony is also an eccentricity peculiar to the English.

I knew it was a joke. [Smile]

We do irony, but we call it "sarcasm" or "mild/light sarcasm". (Here, irony is like the story, "The Gift of the Magi". A young married couple is too poor to buy Christmas presents, so she sells her hair to buy a fob for his watch, and he sold his watch to buy her a decoration for her hair.) The problem is that a) the reader has to either have the same cultural assumptions or at least know what they are; and b) be aware that someone might actually joke about *that* in *this* circumstance. Plus our spoken sarcasm tends to be accompanied by a lot of non-verbal cues--tone of voice, pitch, eyes, head tilt/roll, posture. I gather that the English tend to a dryer style. A Shipmate posted once that they'd visited the UK and found that folks there initially seem very nice and pleasant--until you begin to understand what they mean. I.e., lots of sarkiness.

Internet posts don't have those cues, unless someone uses smilies.

That having been said, many Americans love the British humor found in TV Britcoms, Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, P.G. Wodehouse, Shakespeare, Jane Austen, etc. (Britcoms and dramas are especially popular here in N. California, where they're eagerly awaited and watched on PBS.)

We rough-n-ready former colonials aren't quite as dull and humorless as you lot think! [Biased]

And at least *we* don't eat blood pudding! [Biased] (Other than the vampire community, of course.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eccentricities?! Apart from the spelling, WHAT eccentricities?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Vinegar on french fries (chips).

Nuffin' bad about that - when you get chips here, you get a cruet in the classier restaurants, it's on the table in mid-class restaurants or in shot packs in cafes.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't let this rest, I mean Midge, are you an agent provocateur ? A Yank in Englishman's clothing ? If not, YOU LET THE SODDING SIDE DOWN MAN !

'Bizare'.

I'm doing a Walken after typing that. And that.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
I can't let this rest, I mean Midge, are you an agent provocateur ? A Yank in Englishman's clothing ? If not, YOU LET THE SODDING SIDE DOWN MAN !

'Bizare'.

I'm doing a Walken after typing that. And that.

I am half-breed Welsh Celt. Half of me wants to give the other half what for.

--------------------

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

quote:
Originally posted by Desert Daughter:
I've lived a couple of years on that wonderful island, still go there a lot for business and holidays and consider myself an Anglophile. But what I'll never understand is

a) the state of the railway "system" (leaves on tracks, wrong kind of snow...need I say more?)

a1) why it is so incredibly expensive to travel on that "system"

b1) why the sad electric appliances masquerading as showers are called "power" shower - they're anything but!!

-- still, it's a great country

[Axe murder]

The railways were privatised to make them more efficient.

Efficient: i before e except after c- Martin has a point about spelling.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although not English, can I point out to our US 'cousins' that THEY are the insisters on calling something a 'bathroom' when, more than likely, it doesn't have a bath?

As for 'toilet' this is very non-U.

You mean crapper/ bog/ head. [Snigger]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
English comedy, often scetches with men dressed up as women.

Cockney rhyming slang.

Lovable villians.

Pie and eel shops.

Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not just leaves and snow. Also lions.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Although not English, can I point out to our US 'cousins' that THEY are the insisters on calling something a 'bathroom' when, more than likely, it doesn't have a bath?

As for 'toilet' this is very non-U.

I always liked using "khazi".
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L'organist--

"Non-U"?

Thanks.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In American homes it usually does have a bath and it's just a bit nicer to refer to the more pleasing image. When talking about the big public ones we usually say restroom.

The one thing that really seemed bizarre to me when I was in England was the sheer hatefulness directed at celebrities by the newspapers. Our papers aren't kind by any means, they love to catch people out without make-up and cellulite is actually circled with arrows pointing, but in British papers the articles all seem to be written by the celebrity's evil, jealous, worst enemy. I remember reading columns about Ginger Rogers and Helen Gurley Brown -- both almost ninety at the time with lots of sarcastic, patronizing remarks and lurid descriptions of their age worn faces and bodies. What's up with that?

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's only a head it it's on a boat/ship/submarine.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
Cockney rhyming slang.

Lovable villians.

Pie and eel shops.

No. Most of England, and most of the English, exist outside the M25 (aka London orbital car park.).

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
Cockney rhyming slang.

Lovable villians.

Pie and eel shops.

No. Most of England, and most of the English, exist outside the M25 (aka London orbital car park.).
Ah! Carrot crunchers. I read somewhere there's life outside of London, all whippets and ee by gum.
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:

4) Test Match Special on Radio 4;
Listening to cricket commentary on radio. My Wife likens it to listening to paint dry. But it is surprising how much you learn about pigeons and cake baking among other things. Then there is the cricket itself; 5 days play and there is still the possibility of a draw.

I confess to having drawn much solace from this eccentricity while spending long hours in a tractor cab during the harvest months. Despite, that is, having not much interest in cricket .

I put it down to the inverted snob in me . These days I like watching documentaries featuring dan cruickshank just because there's something about his voice that, like the cricket commentators, leaves me with a feeling that all's well in the world.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
In American homes it usually does have a bath and it's just a bit nicer to refer to the more pleasing image. When talking about the big public ones we usually say restroom.

The one thing that really seemed bizarre to me when I was in England was the sheer hatefulness directed at celebrities by the newspapers. Our papers aren't kind by any means, they love to catch people out without make-up and cellulite is actually circled with arrows pointing, but in British papers the articles all seem to be written by the celebrity's evil, jealous, worst enemy. I remember reading columns about Ginger Rogers and Helen Gurley Brown -- both almost ninety at the time with lots of sarcastic, patronizing remarks and lurid descriptions of their age worn faces and bodies. What's up with that?

The Daily Mail [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Grokesx
Shipmate
# 17221

- Posted      Profile for Grokesx   Email Grokesx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Beecham - as in Beecham's powders; not Beeching - as in bolloxed up the Railway system. His first name was Richard anyway.
Indeed. I work in the rail industry - the scars run deep, apparently.

--------------------
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. H. L. Mencken

Posts: 373 | From: Derby, UK | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:

Generally, it's a combination shower and bath, plus toilet and sink. If it's just a toilet and sink, it's a "half bath". We tend to be somewhat reticent about mentioning bodily functions in public. (TV ads aside!)

I gather we're more uncomfortable with public nudity than Europeans are, though maybe that's mainland Europeans.

--------------------

Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But what I'll never understand is...

Our builder explained that to us. Until recently, it was illegal in the UK to have hot water at mains pressure. Instead, you had a header tank in the attic, which fed the hot water tank. Thus you have hot water at low pressure and cold water at mains pressure, which means you have dreadful showers. If you want a good warm shower, you need high pressure hot water, and you cannot achieve that with just a tank in the attic providing the pressure.

"Power showers" either pump the hot water through from the hot water tank, getting the pressure up to something decent or they heat the cold water as it runs through the shower. The former work well. The latter do not.

We initially solved this for our house using a Venturi effect shower, which uses the mains-pressure cold water to pull the low-pressure hot water at high speed.

We now have a new high pressure hot water cylinder and our showers are as good as those in US/NZ/Oz. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
11) Not putting our country on stamps/ coins

Are we the only nation that don’t bother to put our country on the stamps and coins etc? Just the queens head and we expect everyone to just know where they came from. I mean how snobby is that?

If these are serious questions, I know the answers.

a) We invented stamps. When the Penny Black was first printed, there were no other stamps in the world. Everyone else who copied OUR IDEA put their country's name on their stamps so they didn't get mixed up.

b) We hold to the ancient tradition of putting the monarch's head on our coins. See above, Royal Family. Much more interesting than simply having the name of the country, and perfectly straightforward to understand provided you have memorised the mugshots of every king/queen for the last sixty years or so (anything older is probably not legal tender).

You forgot to mention queues...

[ 02. June 2013, 15:08: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
The Daily Mail [Roll Eyes]

Eh that's another thing I don't understand. What's up with the extreme newspaper prejudice? Americans have a little of that. I prefer the Washington Post over the Washington Times but I'll read both and I'm not ashamed to be caught with one over the other.

The two articles I just mentioned were both in the Sunday Times magazine section. While I was living in England the big Charles and Diana divorce scandal was happening. I was in the habit of buying all the papers the local newsagent carried from the Sun to the Times (I had no TV, no internet.) I noticed that the scandal stories were repeated almost word for word in all the papers, the only difference was that the tabloids had it first.

BTW I once counted 80 negative mentions of Americans in the London Sunday Times. We barely talk about you guys at all. [Razz]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
My own list includes

Accent as a marker of class as a marker of social class

IME this exists in the US as well, though perhaps to a lesser degree.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]

BTW I once counted 80 negative mentions of Americans in the London Sunday Times. We barely talk about you guys at all. [Razz]

I'm not aware of that newspaper. Perhaps you mean the Sunday Times?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
English post offices seem to be little convenience stores and community centers. What's that all about?

Whatever it's about, most of them are closing, to the great detriment of the communities they serve.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
[QUOTE]

Which is owned by News International, which in turn is owned by News Corporation of which the Murdoch family, headed by Rupert Murdoch (an American), own most of the voting shares?

Fancy that; a newspaper printing what its readers want to read.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody's mentioned HOT pork pies yet - a delicacy in Yorkshire.

As for 1) The Royal family. If anyojne else wants them, please buy them from us.

4) Test Match Special on Radio 4; - than goodness for Radio 3

The M25 - I don't drive and don't know where it is

8) Neighbours, everyone has good neighbours - I don't know mine - they are students and there is a different lot every year - just got rid of the last lot and the rather loud sex that one couple has

[ 02. June 2013, 15:36: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

The ability to drive is an unnecessary skill on the M25.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've yet to brave the M25. The idea of being trapped for hours in the wrong lane, unable to change, frightens me. The A34 is bad enough.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Which is owned by News International, which in turn is owned by News Corporation of which the Murdoch family, headed by Rupert Murdoch (an American)

I think he's actually Australian.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Yeah, he's Australian. Problem with discerning his nationality is nobody wants him.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Murdoch is Australian by birth, but I think he took out American citizenship.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Twilight--

Re the Daily Mail:

From the UK Shipmate opinions I've seen on the Ship, over the years, I gather the perception is it's something like a mix of the National Enquirer, Pravda's more crazy articles, and maybe a John Birch society newsletter.

YMMV.

--------------------

Hezekiah
Apprentice
# 17157

- Posted      Profile for Hezekiah   Email Hezekiah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

It's only a head it it's on a boat/ship/submarine.
Actually, it's only a head if it's on an AMERICAN boat/ship/submarine. On British ships they're always referred to in the plural, i.e. 'the heads'.

--------------------
2 Kings 3:27

argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

The ability to drive is an unnecessary skill on the M25.
Nah, the M25 is a wonderful adjunct to mindfulness. Let it slip for a moment and you die.
Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
2. Eating potatoes with everything.
Someone made a comment during dinner that one of the things they were looking forward to once they got back home to the States was meals without potatoes. People were shocked. "You mean, like only with chips?"

3. Insanely sweet and sticky deserts
They don't call it zuppa inglese for nothing: a gloopy, overly sweet mess of God-only-knows served with a side pitcher of cream: it's the classic English desert. Trifle, custard, or mess, there seems to be some lingering effect of sugar rationing on the English palate, and a need to make up for lost time.
3.5 The pitcher of cream

If you think the english have too many potatoes, stay away from ireland. They generally have at least two types of potatoes with everything (mash and roasties, or chips with your cottage pie, that kind of thing).

As for cream, why would you have cream when you can have custard???? As long as it's 'proper custard' made with custard powder of course!

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

I think it's common to refer to the Times as the 'London Times' (and the same with its sister paper) when talking in an international context.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
My own list includes

Accent as a marker of class as a marker of social class

IME this exists in the US as well, though perhaps to a lesser degree.
I find much of the US accents are proxies for regionalism rather than class. Alas they're disappearing under the onslaught of television and radio speakers who try to sound like they're from Pittsburgh.

The sad exception is racial; "Black" accents and vocabulary.

Nick
who is just done with a weekend watching films at the film festival about Seattle Hiphop and "20 feet from stardom" about the mostly Black backup singers that have powered rock, R&B and Gospel.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
L'organist--

"Non-U"?

Thanks.

Golden Key,

Here is the Wikipedia article.
I was surprised to find that the idea did not originate with Nancy Mitford, as hers is the name I always associate with "U" and "Non-U."

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016