homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hymns and songs that are no longer sung (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hymns and songs that are no longer sung
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vw man:
As a lot of you have writen about songs from your time as children I will join you
my favroite was "I will make you fishers of men" if my sister was a ship mate she would would put down" I am H. A. P. P. Y ,".
I wwould not dare say "i bet no one sings that any more" as some one is bound to say "we still do [Biased]

'Fishers of men' brings back memories of my Methodist Sunday School days, where we also sang 'Climb, Climb up Sunshine Mountain' (with motions) and also 'Back of the Loaf,' which I didn't understand at all, and nobody ever explained it.

For those not privileged enough to have experienced it, the opening lines were:
'Back of the loaf is the snowy flour,
Back of the flour the mill,
Back of the mill is the wheat, the sower*,
The sun, and our Father's will.'

* or it may have been 'shower'
Just a little too philosophical for pre-schoolers, don't ya think?

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
We have all the old militant hymns -

- Hark, hark my soul, what Warlike Songs are Swelling (Frederick Faber)

The SA seems to have added some militancy here. According to The Hymnal Companion, Faber's original first line is 'HHMS, angelic songs are swelling.'

(Not that angels can't be warlike -- war in heaven, and all that.)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always think of it as a hymn about the contemplative aspect of the Christian life, which certainly isn't the whole of the Christian experience, or even the whole of any individual Christian's experience, but a needed part. I think we all need our "dear Lord and Father" moments to strengthen ourselves for our "Onward Christian soldiers" moments.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, that last post was meant to refer to "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind" ... I somehow missed that the discussion had moved on a bit since then.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear! I love 'Dear Lord and Father...' ah well, when will a hymn be written that everyone likes!

We're having an informal 'hymn cafe' service with some new ones and a few oldies to be remembered and maybe revived.

Some of the oldies, no longer sung with us, but suggested for revival are:

Hark, hark my soul by Fr Faber (AMR 354 Tune PILGRIMS),

Come Sinners to the Gospel Feast (Tune ABENDS Hymns and Psalms 460)

and God be with you till we meet again (Hymns and Psalms 651 Tune Vaughan Williams' (RANDOLPH)

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
Oh dear! I love 'Dear Lord and Father...' ah well, when will a hymn be written that everyone likes!

Its not a matter of liking. I do quite like it, that's part of the problem. Because the words are mostly quite nice and the tune is lovely people sing it and don't bother that its blatantly heretical. Non-Christian, anti-Christian even. Like John Lennon's "Imagine", its a nice sentimental feel-good soppy song, but it has no place in Christian worship.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So that's me told! Though I know we all have our pet dislikes I know.

When I say I like it I mean I appreciate its sentiment too. Ken has made me think and I will revisit, but I do so knowing I doubt the sentiment of some hymns that many people like.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:

Its not a matter of liking. I do quite like it, that's part of the problem. Because the words are mostly quite nice and the tune is lovely people sing it and don't bother that its blatantly heretical. Non-Christian, anti-Christian even. Like John Lennon's "Imagine", its a nice sentimental feel-good soppy song, but it has no place in Christian worship.
Oh dear. That was one of our wedding hymns, yea these 40 years ago and more. Admittedly, people have been chortling over it ever since, and it's not the first time I've been called a heretic, but I still like it.

Being simple minded can be useful at times. There's probably a banned hymn about that, too.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free

(edited because we are ultra-cautious about copyright)

[ 15. June 2013, 21:55: Message edited by: Firenze ]

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Simple Gifts was written in 1848 and is well out of copyright, that's more OCD than ultra-cautious!

(Lord of the Dance is much more recent and very much in copyright)

--------------------
Ken

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Ken is quite right.

We had a very long thread devoted to this hymns a long time ago and the things that struck me were

What is “the silence of eternity"? Death?

“ordered lives confess/The beauty of Thy peace” – this is quietism – God usually speaks to us through our disorder. It’s often the only way he can get in

“Breathe through the heats of our desire” – is desire sinful? Sounds more like Buddhism. Christianity offers us the fulfilment of our desires.

“let flesh retire” is Gnostic. Christ came in the flesh to redeem the flesh

“all our strivings cease” – what, our striving for justice and peace?

‘Sabbath rest by Galilee” – it was Jesus's custom to go to the synagogue – he wasn’t one of those who say that you arte nearer to god in the garden, in nature etc.

The ‘hills above’ which are depicted as ‘calm’ is the Golan heights which was then, as now, home to freedom fighters and border skirmishes.

(It was written by a Unitarian or a Quaker – can’t remember which.)

I have always interpreted this hymn quite differently. The silence of eternity, to me, is the stillness and peace I experience inside me when I think about God's presence and how he is eternal - it's looking at a bigger perspective than the here and now.

To me 'let flesh retire' is more about stilling all one's worldly desires and focusing on God. I don't think desire is sinful in itself, but I find it's easy to let myself be ruled by my desires, and that I need to stop and be still before God. I have always interpreted strivings as the stress inside me when I am not trusting God, and when I make my desires my focus rather than God as my focus. And I find when I am still before God, that helps me order my thoughts and my life better and know God's peace better. Of course God speaks through disorder too, but I don't think it's wrong to pray for order and peace.

Maybe I'm heretical, but to me this is a hymn that has reflected very deeply my faith. As a child I interpreted it as being about God helping me to stop and be still and know him and experience his peace, in the midst of my anger and losing my temper and getting overwhelmed. I found it very helpful.

But then I feel a lot of affinity with Quakers, and their silence. Their beliefs make a lot of sense to me and my understanding of God and the Bible. I find silence to be an important aspect of faith.

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

I agree Fineline.

I have to say though I like the 'no longer sung' aspect of this thread and the thought of reviving some hymns.

It seems to me Dear Lord and Father will be with us for along time yet [Smile]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free

(edited because we are ultra-cautious about copyright)

Ha! That was our wedding march! Then we sang it at our younger daughter's wedding two years ago. It's a lovely song.

The rendering of it in Aaron Copland's "Appalachian Spring" is particularly beautiful.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

- Posted      Profile for Mechtilde   Email Mechtilde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since I've always disliked Lord of the Dance (very much in the Kumbaya zone, IMO), it was no great loss to learn that It has been criticized as anti-Semitic.

--------------------
"Once one has seen God, what is the remedy?"
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Posts: 517 | From: The cloud of unknowing | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mechtilde:
Since I've always disliked Lord of the Dance (very much in the Kumbaya zone, IMO), it was no great loss to learn that It has been criticized as anti-Semitic.

Oh what a load of rubbish. You can like or hate Lord of the Dance, but it doesn't say anything that the Gospels don't. If you ban Lord of the Dance for being antisemitic then you have to ban the Gospels too.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

- Posted      Profile for Mechtilde   Email Mechtilde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, but I was only made aware of this by a Jewish friend (convert to Christianity) who found it came across like a slap in the face. I'd never really thought about it before he mentioned it. Of course it's not a question of intention, as the piece I linked to makes clear; it's about not knowingly and unnecessarily giving offense. Why not just do as they advise, & ditch the offending bits? Then you can sing the silly thing to your heart's content!

--------------------
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So do you leave the offending bits out of the Gospels? Censor the Easter readings in church? What they say about Jewish religious leaders and their role in Jesus' death is worse than the couple of lines in Lord of the Dance.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As Simple Gifts was written in 1848 and is well out of copyright, that's more OCD than ultra-cautious!

(Lord of the Dance is much more recent and very much in copyright)

And there aren't even any Shakers left. But the line is and always has been Never Assume Anything.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of offences against PC, a song I last heard in the Sixties began:

There was a dear old darky,
Whose name was Happy Joe,
And though his face was black as soot,
His heart was white as snow.

It finished up with:

So if you're discontented,
And live a life of sin,
Only come to Jesus,
And He will take you in.

I can't remember what came between, and I can't find it online.

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably that's sung at Mudfrog's place [Biased]

It's possible to dislike a song without having to be pleased to see it as being accused of being anti-semitic.

I'm pretty attuned to matters of anti-semitism myself, and understand the words to refer to the leaders, not the body of Jewish people themselves. Saying that, as any Life of Brian fan knows, it wasn't the Jewish leaders who stripped and whipped and hung him on high. I understand this to be an anti-clerical or holier-than-thou point.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
Speaking of offences against PC, a song I last heard in the Sixties began:

There was a dear old darky,
Whose name was Happy Joe,
And though his face was black as soot,
His heart was white as snow.

This is fantastic, and must be one of the world's worst hymn openings - on a par with
Within the churchyard side by side
are lots of long low graves.

More information, please!

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Always look on the bright side.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keep this one thing before us Lord,
As fails our darkening gaze
That Horrible Hymns their pastures have
Where the horses dead do graze.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too love "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind..." and I like what fineline writes about it, above.

Also Morning has Broken --Eleanor Farjeon's simple but moving words combined with the lovely tune never fail, for me.

As you might guess, Jan Struther's "Lord of all Hopefulness, Lord of all Joy" is another favourite.

In the 70s at my Catholic school, we had a modern hymn book--lots of bright orange on the cover--and sang a song from it that I've always loved: Spirit of of God in the Clear Running Water....
Ah, found it! The internet is wonderful. Perhaps some would say this hymn is a bit pantheistic, I don't know, it really spoke to me as a teenager.

--------------------
Pondering.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Keep this one thing before us Lord,
As fails our darkening gaze
That Horrible Hymns their pastures have
Where the horses dead do graze.

Excellently put. Hadn't realized we still had a thread for that.

quote:
Originally posted by Cara:
In the 70s at my Catholic school, we had a modern hymn book--lots of bright orange on the cover--and sang a song from it that I've always loved: Spirit of of God in the Clear Running Water....
Ah, found it! The internet is wonderful. Perhaps some would say this hymn is a bit pantheistic, I don't know, it really spoke to me as a teenager.

Oh yes, I remember that one - I liked that too, it always had a real "spring" feeling about it.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry about posting in full - from memory, mark you, not copied - but I did assume that it was PD. And then had second thoughts too late. I'm not so sure about there being no more Shakers, though.

And then found it on my mind later last night when I drove past the petrol station and had to find my way back without satnav, by turning, turning, right, and then right.

[ 16. June 2013, 15:27: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mechtilde:

It's not my favourite hymn but some people seem to go through life looking for opportunities to be offended.

It's very likely that Carter not making an anti-semitic comment so much as likening some modern holy people, most likely to be establishment Christians, to those of the establishment whether Jewish or Roman, who crucified Jesus. Even if that wasn't his point, it's an important one which remains pertinent through all ages. Hymn writers should be free to make it.

What's also odd is that this complaint should be made in a Friends' Magazine. I thought the Friends meet in silence and do not sing hymns.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
quote:
Ken is quite right.

We had a very long thread devoted to this hymns a long time ago and the things that struck me were

What is “the silence of eternity"? Death?

“ordered lives confess/The beauty of Thy peace” – this is quietism – God usually speaks to us through our disorder. It’s often the only way he can get in

“Breathe through the heats of our desire” – is desire sinful? Sounds more like Buddhism. Christianity offers us the fulfilment of our desires.

“let flesh retire” is Gnostic. Christ came in the flesh to redeem the flesh

“all our strivings cease” – what, our striving for justice and peace?

‘Sabbath rest by Galilee” – it was Jesus's custom to go to the synagogue – he wasn’t one of those who say that you arte nearer to god in the garden, in nature etc.

The ‘hills above’ which are depicted as ‘calm’ is the Golan heights which was then, as now, home to freedom fighters and border skirmishes.

(It was written by a Unitarian or a Quaker – can’t remember which.)

I have always interpreted this hymn quite differently. The silence of eternity, to me, is the stillness and peace I experience inside me when I think about God's presence and how he is eternal - it's looking at a bigger perspective than the here and now.

To me 'let flesh retire' is more about stilling all one's worldly desires and focusing on God. I don't think desire is sinful in itself, but I find it's easy to let myself be ruled by my desires, and that I need to stop and be still before God. I have always interpreted strivings as the stress inside me when I am not trusting God, and when I make my desires my focus rather than God as my focus. And I find when I am still before God, that helps me order my thoughts and my life better and know God's peace better. Of course God speaks through disorder too, but I don't think it's wrong to pray for order and peace.

Maybe I'm heretical, but to me this is a hymn that has reflected very deeply my faith. As a child I interpreted it as being about God helping me to stop and be still and know him and experience his peace, in the midst of my anger and losing my temper and getting overwhelmed. I found it very helpful.

But then I feel a lot of affinity with Quakers, and their silence. Their beliefs make a lot of sense to me and my understanding of God and the Bible. I find silence to be an important aspect of faith.

I think people interpret hymns in different ways - though we have to be careful to present them with hymns whose theology is s bad that there isn't a 'good' interpretation.

Some years back, I was discussing with the director of music in the sacristy which verses of hymns we should cut. When i suggested the verse about the 'calm of hills above...', someone present gave a very personal account of a dreadful time in his life and of how that hymn had spoken to him. So I was duly chastened and we sang all the verses.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Oh, yes - I want to sing that hymn!

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
So do you leave the offending bits out of the Gospels? Censor the Easter readings in church? What they say about Jewish religious leaders and their role in Jesus' death is worse than the couple of lines in Lord of the Dance.

The guidance is that although we can't cut seemingly anti-Semitic bits from the gospels, we can be sensitive in the way that we preach and teach. The Second Vatican Council in Nostra Aetate said: ‘True, the Jewish authorities and those who followed their lead pressed for the death of Christ’ but this is not to place any blame on the Jewish people as such, whether in that time or thereafter. Rather the contrary, because the Council went on to say: ‘still, what happened in his passion cannot be charged against all the Jews, without distinction, then alive, nor against the Jews of today’. source.

[Edited for 'orrible code. - Ariel, Heaven Host.]

[ 16. June 2013, 16:47: Message edited by: Ariel ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
quote:

Which - "Always look on the bright side" or the one in the link?

I know which one I'd go for - but then I am one of the "Monty Python" generation.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
quote:

Which - "Always look on the bright side" or the one in the link?

I know which one I'd go for - but then I am one of the "Monty Python" generation.

The one in the link. 'Always look...' is a bit of boring old hack; the hymn linked to is glorious (well it's gloriously something).

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
It's not my favourite hymn but some people seem to go through life looking for opportunities to be offended.

Being sensitive about matters related to the Shoah is not "looking for opportunities to be offended".

quote:
What's also odd is that this complaint should be made in a Friends' Magazine. I thought the Friends meet in silence and do not sing hymns.
Hymns may occur, especially on retreats. (I've heard of planned singing, though that may take place once a year.)

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funnily enough we sang Lord of the dance this morning, and as we sang it I tried to think about is as being anti Semitic but I couldn’t.
For instance this verse

I danced for the scribe and the Pharisee,
But they would not dance and they would not follow me;
I danced for the fishermen, for James and John;
They came to me and the dance went on.

talks of those who didn’t follow, the scribe and Pharisee and those who did follow, the fishermen.

Like the Holy people they are all Jewish, some followed and some didn’t. It is describing what happened and the people who ‘got’ who Jesus was and the people who didn’t. They are described by who they are within their society, they neither follow nor don’t follow, or whipped and stripped him, because they are Jewish – but because of who they themselves are.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. No mention of the Jews as a nation or as a religion. Mention of the Holy People- that is to say, the religious authorities. Anti-semitism- like any other kind of prejudice- is a vile thing. But 'anti-semitism' (note inverted commas)- again, like other kinds of 'prejudice' - is also something which you can usually find, to your own satisfaction if no-one else's, anywhere that you are disposed to look for it.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Sydney Carter was a Quaker, ence the interest in a Friends magazine.
Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

Just to clarify, FWIW (not much, I admit): I don't really have an opinion on whether LOTD is anti-Semitic or not, just noted that I'd heard it criticized as such, both in writing and in person. And that it was no great loss to me personally, because i happen to dislike the song. I do tend to think that it's best not to dismiss such claims when one is not a member of the group in question, & therefore at some risk of not "getting it." I don't see that as being held hostage to PC, though, more as basic courtesy.

--------------------
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:

The guidance is that although we can't cut seemingly anti-Semitic bits from the gospels, we can be sensitive in the way that we preach and teach. The Second Vatican Council in Nostra Aetate said: ‘True, the Jewish authorities and those who followed their lead pressed for the death of Christ’ but this is not to place any blame on the Jewish people as such, whether in that time or thereafter. Rather the contrary, because the Council went on to say: ‘still, what happened in his passion cannot be charged against all the Jews, without distinction, then alive, nor against the Jews of today’. source.

[Edited for 'orrible code. - Ariel, Heaven Host.]

I couldn't agree more Leo and my point is that in no way does LOD charge anything against all Jews or the Jews of today. There is mention of "the scribes and the Pharisees" and "the holy people" that can't be construed to be all Jews or the Jews of today c'mon.
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:

As you might guess, Jan Struther's "Lord of all Hopefulness, Lord of all Joy" is another favourite.

Unfortunately that song is now almost unsung and almost unsingable because the well-known translation of "Be Thou My Vision" completely owns the tune Slane. And, to be honest, its a far far better hymn. So if one has to go, bye-bye Mrs Anstruther. Perhaps someone could do her a favour and make a new tune for her words (though they were in fact written for Slane)

--------------------
Ken

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not true, Ken. Lord of all hopefulness is still popular in my neck of the woods, especially for weddings (although I get the thought that if all you are is hopeful then might it not be better to delay???). Be thou my vision is, IMHO, better for nuptials.

On the other hand, LoaH is particularly apt for funerals don't you think...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord of all hopefulness is in the current (2005) Church of Scotland hymnary. We've sung it recently.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
vw man
Shipmate
# 13951

- Posted      Profile for vw man         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One hymn I have not sung in a long time ,may be be as long as ten years is
O Jesus I have promished
both tunes I like but if I had to make a choise I would go for the newer one

Posts: 115 | From: Derbyshire | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some years back, I was discussing with the director of music in the sacristy which verses of hymns we should cut. When i suggested the verse about the 'calm of hills above...', someone present gave a very personal account of a dreadful time in his life and of how that hymn had spoken to him. So I was duly chastened and we sang all the verses.

All the verses?
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
O Jesus I have promished

There are at least four tunes it's commonly sung to: samples of some of them are here. I much prefer singing it to Hatherop Castle.

Amy

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I missed it, as I was on Sunday School duty in the hall, but our closing hymn yesterday was "Onward Christian Soldiers." We had a retired minister as stand-in, and he always chooses older hymns.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
quote:
O Jesus I have promished

There are at least four tunes it's commonly sung to: samples of some of them are here. I much prefer singing it to Hatherop Castle.

Amy

That is the one tune which our Organist detests! We usually have "Day of Gladness" or "Wolvercote".
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about Jean Ingelow's "And didst thou love the race that loved not thee?"

I love it.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
O Jesus I have promished

Amy

We sang it yesterday - to Wolvercote.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Unfortunately that song is now almost unsung and almost unsingable because the well-known translation of "Be Thou My Vision" completely owns the tune Slane. And, to be honest, its a far far better hymn. So if one has to go, bye-bye Mrs Anstruther. Perhaps someone could do her a favour and make a new tune for her words (though they were in fact written for Slane)
We have sung 'Lord of all hopefulness' quite recently and I like both hymns, though I do prefer 'Be thou my vision', which we have also sung quite recently (but, er, not in the same service...)

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:

All the verses?
All the verses in the normal hymn book.

[ 24. June 2013, 10:54: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016