homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 16th June 1966 - I was there

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: 16th June 1966 - I was there
Phil the Bear
Shipmate
# 10464

- Posted      Profile for Phil the Bear   Email Phil the Bear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a tweet which stated that Cliff Richard 'came out' at the Billy Graham Crusade on 16th June 1966. By coincidence I was there.

Anyone else want to own up to that?

--------------------
Phil the Bear
------------------------------------
It's not the same thing at all

Posts: 174 | From: Southampton | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't there.

But is that tweet correct?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Came out' as what precisely? Generally followed by 'of the closet'.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
came out ... on stage. Improved the show no end ... though he hadn't come up with "Devil Woman" at that stage

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I correct in understanding that that particular Billy Graham crusade was later viewed as some sort of landmark event in the history of modern British Christianity?

I had a book a few years back which contained a chapter that seemed to be arguing that, but I lost my copy before getting to said chapter.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It certainly put a bomb under the Evangelical Movement in the Church of England. The 1967 Keele Conference is regarded as something of a turning point in the modern history of Anglican Evangelicalism.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a friend who traces her adult Christian faith (brought up CoE, drifted in teenage years) to that event. She was, and is, a big Cliff fan. It was a massive deal to her to hear him state on stage what and why he believed.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
'Came out' as what precisely? Generally followed by 'of the closet'.

As publically Christian. It's a hazardous and inappropriate phrase to choose these days as it's usually used in a different context. One suspects that the tweeter referred to in the OP has misunderstood how language was used in 1966 and what anyone then was likely to say.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rumour has it that our church was the first one that Billy Graham ever preached in in England.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And a brief Google hitns that might might be true. Apparentl;y Billy Graham's first preaching tour of Britain and Ireland was in the winter of 1946/47, speaking for Youth for Christ at various meetings mostly in hired halls. And our then vicar, who was called Tom Livermore, was involved with YFC and invited Graham to preach at an evening service. So we might well have been the first church he preached at in England, and were almost certainly the first Anglican one. Livermore and others then went on to organise the Harringey evaqngelisit campaign, which was the really big one.

Not that I'd remember, as all this happened ten years before I was born and forty years before I moved to the area.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Phil the Bear
Shipmate
# 10464

- Posted      Profile for Phil the Bear   Email Phil the Bear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was, in fact, Cliff 'coming out' as Christian, having suppressed the fact, presumably, because of possible damage to his image as a pop singer.

It was front page news on many a paper the following day. I can honestly say that the actual 'service' was monumentally boring (my main memory being of an aged American gentlemen who rendered "How Great Thou Art" at interminable length) interrupted less by Cliff's 'revelation' and more by the buckets that were passed round for the collection - which seemed to be going for at least half the time.

I went to 3 of the services (if that's what they were). Cliff's was the first. I went with a girlfriend to a second and at the third took part in an anti-Vietnam war demo (Graham was reputed to be financed by the American arms industry). The third was the most painful, largely because of the rough-housing of the evangelical stewards!

--------------------
Phil the Bear
------------------------------------
It's not the same thing at all

Posts: 174 | From: Southampton | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016