homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Airports: best, worst and why? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Airports: best, worst and why?
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
As far as I can recall it was fine leaving there a week later for Chicago O'Hare and Seattle - happily my O'Hare experience was that the gate for my arriving flight was just around the corner from my departure gate. I had already been warned how confusing O'Hare could be so was very relieved to breeze it like that.

That's because both were internal flights.

My experience of O'Hare is different, as I was arriving on an international flight and leaving on a domestic one.

This involved collecting your luggage, passing through immigration, putting your luggage on a different conveyor, finding the monorail to another terminal, finding the gate.

It could be simpler. A lot.

But I'll forgive O'Hare because the approach to the airport, down the lake past the skyscrapers of Chicago, has to be one of the best ways of arriving in a foreign country. (Except Boston is an even better approach.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Favourites:

Auckland. Quick to travel though, and everyone is friendly and helpful.

Hong Kong. Especially if taking off or landing at night.

Least favourites

Wellington. Do not eat before taking off or landing if travelling to or from this airport.

Sydney. It is the opposite to Auckland.

Heathrow.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I liked Auckland too

One of my favourite flights ever was from Land's End to St Mary's on the Isles of Scilly. We had to be weighed to decide where we sat on the plane and both airports were tiny and staffed by helpful and amusing people.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cross eyed bear:
Frankfurt. It's the size of a small town, with no windows and absolutely no signs. The shuttle between the two terminals has the cryptic name of 'Skyline', quite clever, but not what you'd expect to have to look out for when searching for the shuttle stop.

The last time I was there, not even the air stewardess I asked could help me find my way. The time before, changing from Frankfurt Airport Station to a bus, it took the combined efforts of three coach drivers to find my stop.

Shudder.

I was there last summer. It's one of the worst airports I've ever been too. Big but nothing there: about two bars and three pretzel stands.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Helsinki = good. You can smoke in the terminal building, albeit in smoking rooms.

Heathrow = bad. Can't smoke anywhere.

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
quote:
Originally posted by cross eyed bear:
Frankfurt. It's the size of a small town, with no windows and absolutely no signs. The shuttle between the two terminals has the cryptic name of 'Skyline', quite clever, but not what you'd expect to have to look out for when searching for the shuttle stop.

The last time I was there, not even the air stewardess I asked could help me find my way. The time before, changing from Frankfurt Airport Station to a bus, it took the combined efforts of three coach drivers to find my stop.

Shudder.

I was there last summer. It's one of the worst airports I've ever been too. Big but nothing there: about two bars and three pretzel stands.
I liked Frankfurt. It's where I finally caved in and bought lunch with a glass of wine at about 10:30 am, having been woken at 3 am in Moldova, and already transited through Munich. I thereby formulated Mrs Whibley's drinking in airports rule which states that you may drink alcohol either if it has passed 12 midday in your port of departure, or you have been awake for 6 hours ( and therefore your body clock states it should be midday).

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
McChicken
Shipmate
# 2555

- Posted      Profile for McChicken   Author's homepage   Email McChicken   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cod said
quote:
Wellington. Do not eat before taking off or landing if travelling to or from this airport.
Personally I love landing at Wellington Airport, not least cos it lets me know I'm home.

--------------------
"We're not playing tiddly-winks here mate."
"While the opposite of a true statement is a false statement, the opposite of a profound truth can be another profound truth."

Posts: 634 | From: Ko Ngati Pakeha raua ko Ngai Tahu ahau | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Helsinki = good. You can smoke in the terminal building, albeit in smoking rooms.

As it is illegal to smoke anywhere in public all airports in India are non-smoking but Bandranaike International Airport, Colombo has a smoking room and I swear you don't need to take your own cigarettes, just stick your head in the room and breathe in and you'll get a week's worth of nicotine! Thankfully they have now moved it down a little corridor to prevent polluting the rest of the departures area.

WW - ex-smoker

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My only flying experiences have been within the US. Despite the fact that I gripe about things in Atlanta where I reside I find the Atlanta airport decent. It is very convenient to the rapid transit system -- about 15 minutes from downtown, and the station is within the terminal. (When possible I use public transportation to and from whatever airport I'm flying from/to.)

Since Atlanta is such a big hub with so many flights I can usually book non-stops to my destination. Though it is quite huge I think the signage is good and I have not found the airport staff to be moronic. The people mover in the airport is convenient but they should have put in moving sidewalks in the individual lettered sections. If your flight leaves from gate 1, you face a looong walk from the people mover.

LaGuardia is a small dump of an airport (and sometimes unkempt with trash on the flopr), and sometimes with no seats available in the waiting area, and it does seem especially prone to wether delays elsewhere for some reason. If taking public transportation to Manhattan, as I do, it is an hour local bus ride, longer during rush hours. One time the landing was a bit scary as we were over water until the very last minute. But arrivals don't bother me because I'm just glad to be back in New York. Never been to JFK. Flew into Newark one time and finding ground transportation was confusing.

The only other airport I've flown into fairly often is Miami and while I was a bit confused at first getting out I know my way around it pretty well now. No particular complaints, but the local bus ride to South Beach -- where I stay at the Clay Hotel, a very economical but attractive hostel -- is about almost an hour (involving one transfer.

Logan (Boston), Midway (Chicago), Louis Armstrong (New Orleans), and Raleigh-Durham NC are the others I've arrived and departed from -- no memorably good or bad experiences. Except that Midway has an El station -- very convenient, and Boston isn't bad either. I wouldn't try to do public transportation from the others.

[ 06. July 2013, 16:19: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourites are two small airports on islands, St Mary's in Scilly and Alderney in the (English) Channel Islands.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:

As it is illegal to smoke anywhere in public all airports in India are non-smoking but Bandranaike International Airport, Colombo has a smoking room and I swear you don't need to take your own cigarettes, just stick your head in the room and breathe in and you'll get a week's worth of nicotine! Thankfully they have now moved it down a little corridor to prevent polluting the rest of the departures area.

WW - ex-smoker

Of course, it helps if the smoking rooms are air conditioned, as the ones in Helsinki are. Helsinki is a pretty good airport but it's bloody expensive. A beer will cost you about 8€.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The one good thing about Sydney Airport (as with all here, and on all flights) is that smoking is banned completely. Indeed, even those participating in an inter-bikie-gang fight, ending in a murder, a couple of years ago observed the ban in the terminal.

[ 07. July 2013, 03:28: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matariki
Shipmate
# 14380

- Posted      Profile for Matariki   Author's homepage   Email Matariki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have the strong aversion to Sydney airport that some shipmates seem to have but the queue to check in at QANTAS when I flew out of there last September was just atrocious. Brisbane and Melbourne are better, Hobart wins the prize as my favourite Australian airport.
Here in NZ Auckland is pretty good, I quite enjoy the scary flight into and out of Wellington. My favourite is Gisborne, the gate is literally a gate at this tiny terminal! Flying overseas in a couple of weeks and will be using the new Hong Kong Airport for the first time and then Heathrow, having to transfer from T3 to T5 - which I'm dreading.

Posts: 298 | From: Just across the Shire from Hobbiton | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matariki:
then Heathrow, having to transfer from T3 to T5 - which I'm dreading.

Provided you have a comfortable transfer window, not a biggie. The signage is clear and the buses are frequent.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a small but efficient airport here in Eldoret which is labelled "International"....always makes me smile as all the passenger services are taxi planes down to Nairobi (takes 45 minutes)...the "international" element is provided by cargo planes that fly in and out a few times a week!
But it's well run and quite attractive with really friendly and helpful staff.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matariki - from T3 to T5 at Heathrow there is also the option of Heathrow Express if you are landside - just a few minutes on a train and you are there - and it is FREE! Airside follow transfers and take the bus.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Airports I have known, on this trip and others.

Kansai in Japan is forever embedded in my memory as having the best showers known to mankind. Yes, showers. And there was an entire comments book filled with people who agreed with me.

I thought San Francisco was quite good on a previous trip in 2006. Clean, peaceful.

And a million times better than that damn LAX. Having experienced departures there I try to avoid them. I'm having less luck avoiding arriving there and dealing with the utterly demoralising immigration area.

All immigration areas will look bad, though, after experiencing Vancouver. Sculptures! Waterfalls! I actually stayed in the airport to have lunch rather than dash out as soon as possible. That, surely, tells you what a good experience it was.

Having recently experienced Dulles, I agree that it's pretty damn odd.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matariki:

Here in NZ Auckland is pretty good, I quite enjoy the scary flight into and out of Wellington. My favourite is Gisborne, the gate is literally a gate at this tiny terminal!

I flew to Gisborne once on a wee plane that went Mapier-Wairoa- Gisborne-Napier. My cat was in with the luggage and he yowled all the way. Whakatane is my favourite tiny airport because one of the buildings is a quirky Roger Walker design.

I love flying into Wellington, but as for bumpy Rotorua is hard to beat as the plane flies over the thermal area. I was once late for the last plane out of Rotorua on Christmas Eve - the taxi driver radioed ahead and Air NZ held the plane for me. I don't think it would happen these days.

Huia

[ 15. July 2013, 10:20: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:

...One of my favourite flights ever was from Land's End to St Mary's on the Isles of Scilly.

I don't remember an airport at Land's End. I remember not going to The Isles of Scilly because of lack of time when we were in Cornwall for less than a week and I got some surfing in at Sennen Cove.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I don't remember an airport at Land's End. I remember not going to The Isles of Scilly because of lack of time when we were in Cornwall for less than a week and I got some surfing in at Sennen Cove.

Well, airport is a bit strong! There's a grass airstrip that can take Islander planes when it hasn't rained for three weeks continuously. Quite a lot of money is being spent to make it less vulnerable to the weather - as an attempt at an all-the-year-round link now that the helicopter service has shut.
[/tangent]

Very similar to Land's End were several airstrips in Iran (before the revolution). I did a telecoms consultancy for the Iranian Oil Operating Companies who had their own "airline". Mostly on-time, efficient, polite with ex Biggles types flying Dove aircraft. No lounges/catering at the airstrips, but no chance of getting lost either.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Matariki
Shipmate
# 14380

- Posted      Profile for Matariki   Author's homepage   Email Matariki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you to shipmates who have advised on transfers at Heathrow. I get into T3 (from Hong Kong) at 4pm and fly out of T5 (to Leeds / Bradford) at 7.30pm. Shouldn't be too bad.
Posts: 298 | From: Just across the Shire from Hobbiton | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Flying London-Wellington in 1964 we had a stopover in Singapore which lengthened to a couple of hours because of some mechanical problem. As we approached Sydney it became clear that we were in danger of missing our connection for Wellington. No worries: they radioed ahead and as soon as the plane came to a stop the half dozen NZ passengers were hurried down the steps first and, accompanied by our luggage (how did they do it?) ran to the aircraft that was waiting for us. And that wouldn’t happen nowadays.
In 1986, travelling with two teenagers, we were stuck in a Heathrow transit lounge (probably the only one in those days) for several hours early in the morning before going on to Athens. After the flight from NZ we felt tired and grubby. Daughter and I found showers but nothing more – until the Indian woman cleaner gave us a roller towel to use. I don’t know what we used for soap, but we did bless her.
2011, flying Auckland-Heathrow with a refuelling stop at Hong Kong, we were herded off the plane, given a wee transit ticket each, led on a long walk (a kilometre?) down endless boring passageways with no interesting features on the way, and at the end of the circuit back into our nice clean seats.
Castlegar, BC is one of those mountain-surrounded airports where your Bombardier does a quick turn before landing. It has a cosy little terminal where grandchildren watch you boarding from the window with the flowerbeds outside. The security is full-scale but takes place more or less in the corner of the waiting area, where the other travellers were able to marvel at the site of me, the granny among them, being delicately patted down. With two ‘tin hips’ I’m used to setting off the buzzer and stopping to stand with my arms outstretched, but being swabbed and setting off another alarm was a new one. They were very diplomatic, and when I asked what it was all about they said probably some regular medication that I’d taken that day had left a trace on my hand or clothes.
Wellington is home (hi, McChicken!), but I’ve never had a really hairy landing here, though I once collected the Grandad after his international flight managed to land at the third attempt. I have a mantra which has proved helpful in times of turbulence: ‘The pilot knows what he is doing; if there were any danger we would not be here’.
Auckland has a bus/sprint from International to Domestic terminal. If you get to the transfer desk in less than 60 minutes from your next flight’s take-off you don’t have to worry about your luggage, but with or without you can hop on the bus or run: they tell you it’s a five-minute walk but in my more athletic days it took at least 15.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016