homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keeping your cool. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keeping your cool.
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has been over 100 o F where I live for the past week. I am looking for cooling ideas. I keep a wash cloth in the freezer and take it out every hour and put it on the back of my neck. I have told the cat over and over NO! you may not sit on my lap or lay touching me with any part of your warm furry body.
I sit with my feet in a tub of ice water. Finally if it takes more then 5 minutes to cook it we are not eating it. Help, what are your favorite ways of cooling down? [Cool]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Move to Scotland.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief! Paging Mousethief!

This is the annual call for the Mousethief Cooler recipe.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't drink ice-cold liquid: can be dangerous and won't make you feel cooler. Drink COOL drinks.

Hang plain white sheets in front of the open windows and spray with cold water.

Wear loose clothing - no man-made fibres either.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Facial toner or alcohol gel, rubbed onto pulse points and around the neck - as the alcohol evaporates, it will cool you down. Keeping a wet bandanna wrapped around the neck.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Emigrate to the Faroes. Or the North-West of Scotland. Or western Norway. And take good stout waterproof boots and lots of midge repellent. Everywhere has its problems.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Mousethief! Paging Mousethief!

This is the annual call for the Mousethief Cooler recipe.

You beat me to it. My answer was going to be "gin."
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Attend a university with a swimming pool.
Siiiighh. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alcohol in any form makes me hotter.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Open the hatchway into the loft, and the heat will go up out of your house into the roof.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool showers several times a day.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Swap your plasma out for an LCD.
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keep blueberries in the freezer. A nice snack that's juicy and cool! And stay hydrated, no caffeine either.

I also just try to be as still as I can be, and calm.

I have ice packs in the freezer that I use for icing my tendonitis when it's acting up. It's also good for cooling off!

And then I have ice packs meant to go into coolers. Those can replace a cat on your lap. (And they'll keep the cat away!)

I'm trying to keep most of my electronic devices off during the day, but alas, I can't resist using my laptop. I've got a lap desk for it with a fan in it, though, so it doesn't make me hotter.

But it's nowhere near 100 where I am - more like 85-90, with low humidity. That's just how intolerant of heat I am. And I'm planning my trip home to Detroit in August this year...I'll spend most of my visit home just melting and moaning, I'm sure!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our long summer (May to end of Oct) has temps in the mid-40's (C) and I stay inside The Cave as much as possible. 8 am till 5 pm.

I use the Aqua Coolkeeper range of products with great success.It has this "funny stuff" inside that you soak and it stays cool (or cooler than you).I have bandana's and have just requisitioned a vest which is heavy but WORKS. I have 3 dogs who need walks so I HAVE to go out and these products are really good. A bit expensive.

Those wristy towelly things that tennis players wear - soak and put in the frig. Very cheap. (Also stops you slitting your wrists in frustration at the weather and the house arrest)

Air-con to 24 deg C.

Water refrigerated but no ice unless I am really desperate. Sometimes put lemon and spearmint leaves in too. The occasional cup of tea (usually green).

YouTube "Natural Rain" or "Ocean" clips - there are even some 9 hour night-long ones. (Warning: the dolphins are most annoying so avoid them.)

Rest in the middle of the day.

Take a sarong/lavalava/pareo and wet it, then wring it out a bit and lie under it under (or in front of) a fan. This generates instant windchill.

Do "important" things early in the day.

Drink water. Drink Water. Drink water.
Take Berocca (fizzy B-vitamins with Ginseng)

Keep skin clean and make those scrub things.

Spray face often (I use Body Shop Vitamin C but there is Evian of course and also plain old water in a pot-plant mist irrigator!).

The main thing is to put time into it and keep doing it so you are actively treating yourself and not passively suffering and complaining about something that is beyond control.

Also you can get really tetchy in long term uncomfortable heat so try to make a habit of thinking before you speak. Easier said than done but I am trying.

Move to Britain - clouds and s-dding rain 360 days a year!

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Visit central Arizona. After you've survived 119F*, go back home and 100F will feel cool.

*That was last Friday -- fourth hottest day here in recorded history. In 1991 we hit 122F.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief Cooler™ recipe:

1 one-quart (one-liter) pitcher
1 tray of ice cubes (fill the pitcher about 3/4 full)
1/2 c. (120 ml) Gin. (Tanqueray, of course)
1/4 c. (60 ml) Fresh squoze lime juice*
1/4 c. (60 ml) Rose's sweetened lime juice**
1 can (12 oz/ 350 ml) tonic water

Stir. Serves 4 normal people, 2 really thirsty sweaty people, 1 alcoholic

_______
*if you have to use that reconstituted crap, have some other drink.
**this is a bartender thing used for drinks that need sweetened lime juice; in the US you can get it with mixers or with fruit juices depending on the store

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A key part of keeping a house cooler during the day without using an air conditioner is actually in what you do at night.

In the evening, check what the apparent temperature is like outside every half hour or so after sunset. Once the temperature outside drops to the point that it's roughly equal to the temperature inside, open all your curtains and windows wide (all of those you're comfortable with from a security/privacy angle at least) to allow the house's latent heat to radiate away and the sweaty inside smell to dissipate. Then set an alarm for about the same time as sunrise (look up the time on the web or on any decent weather app) so you can close up everything in the morning.

If you can afford to (i.e. you don't have work, study or other commitments) you can make a big difference to your comfort level by shifting a portion of your waking hours to overnight, and sleeping during the day. You generate less body heat when you're sleeping, so it makes sense to do that during the parts of the day when the most heat is coming from other sources.

----

A word on drinking lots of water - if you sweat heavily and/or your sweat is quite salty, consider making about a third of your fluid intake an electrolytic sports hydration drink such as Powerade, Gatorade or Hydralyte - whether made up from powder or bought pre-mixed in bottles. These are seriously formulated drinks designed to keep the body in balance when it sweats too much, not sugary soft drinks just targeting people with sport-related marketing. If you're concerned about sugar intake, they all have sugar-free versions rather than the standard version.

Stay away from fruit juice, alcohol and tea during hot weather. These drinks will dehydrate you and leave you worse off than before. Coffee is okay (it makes you thirsty which is good) but it is a stimulant that increases blood flow and therefore a slight increase in body heat generation, and of course it's no good if you have trouble getting to sleep.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
slices of cucumber skin on your wrists, and a salad of the cucumber itself - along with plenty of cool water to drink.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all. It was 111 yesterday on my deck, but promises of going down to the 90's this week-end. Strange how now that sounds cool.

Mousethief posted
quote:
Mousethief Cooler™ recipe:

1 one-quart (one-liter) pitcher
1 tray of ice cubes (fill the pitcher about 3/4 full)
1/2 c. (120 ml) Gin. (Tanqueray, of course)
1/4 c. (60 ml) Fresh squoze lime juice*
1/4 c. (60 ml) Rose's sweetened lime juice**
1 can (12 oz/ 350 ml) tonic water

Stir. Serves 4 normal people, 2 really thirsty sweaty people, 1 alcoholic

_______
*if you have to use that reconstituted crap, have some other drink.
**this is a bartender thing used for drinks that need sweetened lime juice; in the US you can get it with mixers or with fruit juices depending on the store

Way to hot for this now, but saving it for when it cools off a bit.

[Overused]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
A word on drinking lots of water - if you sweat heavily and/or your sweat is quite salty, consider making about a third of your fluid intake an electrolytic sports hydration drink such as Powerade, Gatorade or Hydralyte - whether made up from powder or bought pre-mixed in bottles. These are seriously formulated drinks designed to keep the body in balance when it sweats too much, not sugary soft drinks just targeting people with sport-related marketing. If you're concerned about sugar intake, they all have sugar-free versions rather than the standard version.

Stay away from fruit juice, alcohol and tea during hot weather. These drinks will dehydrate you and leave you worse off than before. Coffee is okay (it makes you thirsty which is good) but it is a stimulant that increases blood flow and therefore a slight increase in body heat generation, and of course it's no good if you have trouble getting to sleep.

Good advice.

Electrolytic drinks still give benefits if you drink water with them, so drink one, then if you are still thirsty drink water. This is just as good as having more electrolyte, and cheaper.

Don't drink energy drinks, these slow down the body's intake of water.

Check your pee. If it is bright yellow you are seriously dehydrated. Drink a litre of electrolyte, and possibly some more water as well.

(These are tips I picked up on a cycling trip across the Arizona desert.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

Check your pee. If it is bright yellow you are seriously dehydrated. Drink a litre of electrolyte, and possibly some more water as well.

And if you aren't peeing, you likely may be dehydrated.

The body has a limited ability to absorb water, however. (The number 500ml (1 pint) per hour comes to mind, but I don't know from where.) So better to drink smaller amounts continuously than to do it all at once

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those that have access to it coconut water is as good as an electrolyte drink - in desperate circumstances mix Diarolyte™ or similar with lots of water and drink that.

Through my own stupidity I once ended up with anhydrotic heat exhaustion and I can assure all of you that it is not in the least bit fun - far better to be peeing every half hour than having that. In hot weather never, ever wait until you are thirsty before drinking!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

- Posted      Profile for Mechtilde   Email Mechtilde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Get yourself a Chillow. They really do stay cool, & are a Godsend for people who can't sleep because of hot weather, hot flashes, etc.

--------------------
"Once one has seen God, what is the remedy?"
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Posts: 517 | From: The cloud of unknowing | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go to the library and soak up their A/C while reading or chatting on the Ship.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Putting a big bowl of ice between you and the current of an electric fan can work wonders.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:

Unfortunately the library is closed on Sundays during the summer. [Waterworks]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Don't drink ice-cold liquid: can be dangerous and won't make you feel cooler. Drink COOL drinks.

I always keep a bottle of green tea in the fridge door. It is not too cold and doesn't need ice.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Temperature Notes for the US:

24C = 75F, 45C = 113F

How to convert:

Celsius times 9, divided by 5 + 32 = Fahrenheit.

(F - 32) x 5/9 = C.

It's the only thing I remember from taking chemistry in school.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The idea that tea will dehydrate you and coffee won't is just plain silly. As is the idea that coffee is astimulant and tea isn't. It depends how strong you make them and what you put in them.

Tea as usually drunk is pretty much isotonic, so, just as with the overpriced branded sports drinks it will hydrate you quite effectively. Same goes for low-fat milk and weak beer. (Has to be weak beer I'm afraid - most beer sold these days is 5% or so which is too much alcohol to be very refreshing, not that that stops anyone)

--------------------
Ken

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
24C is not hot. 32C is comfortable. But if your thermometer reaches 50C outdoors in the shade it is better to whimper indoors and watch cricket on the TV

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

32C is unbearable torture. 18-24 is warm but OK. 24-28 unpleasantly hot. Above about 28 my mobility is restricted and my mind starts getting blurred, I actually become clumsier and stupider.

I'm enough of a science nerd to find that temperatures given in Farenheit is basically a clue that whatever you are reading doesn;t need to be taken seriously. Even in the USA scientists and engineers use C. Really Serious Scientists use K.

--------------------
Ken

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
…I'm enough of a science nerd to find that temperatures given in Farenheit is basically a clue that whatever you are reading doesn;t need to be taken seriously.…

Unless you're looking at cold temperatures (but warmer than -40)!
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:

Unfortunately the library is closed on Sundays during the summer. [Waterworks]

Moo

I go to the mall to walk when it hits triple digits here. Yesterday saw a cute older couple sitting in the food park with a stack of books, playing gin. Go wherever someone else is paying for the AC.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Tea as usually drunk is pretty much isotonic, so, just as with the overpriced branded sports drinks it will hydrate you quite effectively. Same goes for low-fat milk and weak beer. (Has to be weak beer I'm afraid - most beer sold these days is 5% or so which is too much alcohol to be very refreshing, not that that stops anyone)

On the subject of weak beer there's no law against diluting beer to make shandy. Lemonade can actually make some lagers quite drinkable in hot weather and a shot of lime juice helps further.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A key part of keeping a house cooler during the day without using an air conditioner is actually in what you do at night.

In the evening, check what the apparent temperature is like outside every half hour or so after sunset. Once the temperature outside drops to the point that it's roughly equal to the temperature inside, open all your curtains and windows wide (all of those you're comfortable with from a security/privacy angle at least) to allow the house's latent heat to radiate away and the sweaty inside smell to dissipate. Then set an alarm for about the same time as sunrise (look up the time on the web or on any decent weather app) so you can close up everything in the morning.

That's essentially what my dad did in our house growing up. We didn't have AC (this was in Michigan, where summers get hot & muggy - not Arizona hot, but near 100F most summers), but had a big fan. Dad was pretty good at figuring out how to make air flow through the house in the evening to cool it off (placing "cross-ventilation" in my sisters' and my vocabulary at a very early age). Once we got a window unit air conditioner in the living room (which was on one end of the house along with the kitchen; the bedrooms were on the other end), that made it even more fun for him to engineer. He was always on top of precisely when it was cool enough outside to switch off the AC and go to fans/cross-ventilation. It was all kinda noisy, though, AC or fan.

Taking a cool shower or bath, if possible, also helps - not just running the water on you, but washing the oils and dirt off your skin.

Depending where you live, if there's an accessible waterfront, they can be cooler. It's surprising, e.g., how much cooler it feels down on Detroit's Riverfront than just a few miles north in the neighborhoods.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Temperature Notes for the US:

24C = 75F, 45C = 113F

How to convert:

Celsius times 9, divided by 5 + 32 = Fahrenheit.

(F - 32) x 5/9 = C.

It's the only thing I remember from taking chemistry in school.

Thank you thank you thank you!

As someone who's disgruntled that we didn't manage to switch to the metric system (including Celsius) back in the '70s, I still struggle to make sense of Celsius. It's not like I can visualize how long a centimeter is, e.g., for length, or how big a liter bottle of pop is for liquid (see how my mind works...)

And so armed with this new knowledge, I can say I agree with ken's assessment that
quote:
32C is unbearable torture. 18-24 is warm but OK. 24-28 unpleasantly hot.
However, when he goes on to say that
quote:
... temperatures given in Farenheit is basically a clue that whatever you are reading doesn;t need to be taken seriously.
I must protest that my ordinary, everyday experience of the world (and its cruel mood swings from frigid [<20F] to hellishly hot [>79F]) is very serious business to me!

(ETA: Those are the extreme limits of my comfort zones; YMMV. It seems most people can tolerate more heat but often less cold than I can.)

[ 05. July 2013, 01:29: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Living in The Tropics [just above 10 degrees north of The Line] the temperature generally wanders between 25˚C and 35˚C, both of which are quite comfortable. Above 35˚ and I get uncomfortable and above 40˚ is just silly. Similarly below 25˚ and I start looking for a top and below 20˚ and I am looking for a fleece! One famous night in December 2003 it got down to 15.9˚C and we were wearing clothes to bed and searching for the blankets! When we got to the mountains with Pete every winter we got to bed and in several layers AND snuggle under as many blankets as we can find.

In UK in May this year my various hosts all provided me with winter-weight duvets - BLISS!

We really are wimps.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amaretto sours slide down real smooth in hot weather. If you don't feel like going through the effort of a mint julep that is.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
24C is not hot. 32C is comfortable ...

That's a matter of opinion ... [Big Grin]

We're being forecast 27°C but feeling like 32 with the humidity for Friday and 28°/36 for Saturday and I have to say I'm absolutely dreading it.

[Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I'm looking forward to the temperatures being in the 80s this weekend. It's a cold country, I always seem to have the electric fire on when at home, and rarely get the chance to leave off a jacket or second layer, so it'll be great to have a bit of decent weather for a change.

I like intense direct heat and strong sunlight, and enjoy the window seats on the sunny side on buses or trains, so I can bask for a bit. Warmth is good.

The trick is not to get dehydrated. In hot weather, carry a bottle of water with you and consume at intervals. Otherwise, sluggishness and headaches occur.

The power of suggestion being what it is, I also find that visualizing a bleak winter's evening with snow and a bitter wind cutting through clothing pretty quickly makes me feel chillier, but YMMV.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:

Depending where you live, if there's an accessible waterfront, they can be cooler. It's surprising, e.g., how much cooler it feels down on Detroit's Riverfront than just a few miles north in the neighborhoods.

You want an estuary. In the rare moments when the temperature staggers into double figures round here, it sets off a heat exchange with the waters of the Forth/North Sea. The result is a cooling - well, bone-chilling - blanket of haar.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
32C is unbearable torture. 18-24 is warm but OK. 24-28 unpleasantly hot. Above about 28 my mobility is restricted and my mind starts getting blurred, I actually become clumsier and stupider.

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
24C is not hot. 32C is comfortable ...

That's a matter of opinion ... [Big Grin]

We're being forecast 27°C but feeling like 32 with the humidity for Friday and 28°/36 for Saturday and I have to say I'm absolutely dreading it.

[Eek!]

I'm totally with ken and piglet here. It's 10.45 in London, I've just got back from an errand and am dripping sweat - I suppose it's in the low 20s at the moment. My heart sank when the forecast predicted up to 30 next week. In heat my feet swell and chafe, and I get irritated and depressed. Fortunately up here on the pc I have a fan whirring which is helping nicely to cool my feet and knees. And next week Mr Marten and I are off to the Tewkesbury Medieval Festival with a friend [Yipee] - I hope we don't swelter. On the other hand I don't want it flooded like last time [Eek!] .

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Up to 30 in London? WooHoo [Big Grin]

I found it very strange when sailing across the equator down to Rio that most people seemed to be melting, while I really enjoyed the heat. I don't think I was meant to have been born in Scotland. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During the hot Summer days in Australia, we close the whole house up as much as possible - curtains drawn, windows closed etc. Then once the sun goes down we open everything up, doors, windows etc and even sleep with outer doors open but security doors closed and locked. Makes a big difference to surviving. However, it is Winter here now and this week has been freezing. Suggest you come here and escape.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
One famous night in December 2003 it got down to 15.9˚C and we were wearing clothes to bed and searching for the blankets!

Well, that is 60°, which is definitely chilly. I have an electric blanket for nights like that. [Big Grin]
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daughter-Unit's Mom-in-law and I were doing some shopping chores together today. Inside the stores, she was freezing, and I was hoping to cool off a bit. (Very much agree with using other folks' AC to keep cool!)

I think it's all in a person's point of view!

It wasn't too hot today, low 80s, but very, very humid, so it felt a bit uncomfortable outside to me.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
at 100F I'm pretty sure I'd spontaneously combust.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

There's nowt wrong with a bit of spontaneity!

[Biased]

--------------------

Crazy Cat Lady
Shipmate
# 17616

- Posted      Profile for Crazy Cat Lady   Email Crazy Cat Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well we are only getting 21 degrees here, there are some advantages to living in England's bump on the side. If it is too hot I spend the afternoon stood in the North Sea

But I do get heat exhaustion very quickly, only once had heat stroke and thought I was gonna die. Any tips/hints appreciated

--------------------
'They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me!"

Nathaniel Lee

Posts: 52 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm enough of a science nerd to find that temperatures given in Farenheit is basically a clue that whatever you are reading doesn;t need to be taken seriously. Even in the USA scientists and engineers use C. Really Serious Scientists use K.

Because only scientists and engineers need be taken seriously. Got it.

Just out of curiosity, are you a scientist, or an engineer?

[ 06. July 2013, 22:26: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016