homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » marriage - heaven or hell

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: marriage - heaven or hell
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BBC 's "agony aunt" was reported as saying:

" A good marriage is the nearest thing on earth to being in heaven, but a bad marriage is the nearest thing on earth to being in hell."

How does this tally with the experience of shipmates, either personally or by observation of others?

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have what I regard as a good marriage. There have been times (me being a prat and upsetting Lady J through my own pig-headedness, Viscount J just being a selfish teenage git) that it has felt like hell but I still wouldn't swap it for anything else. Thus I deny the assumed dichotomy.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think all marriages are made up of both heaven and hell parts. That applies to good and bad marriages.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A 'good marriage' is still made up of two flawed, fallible people who will go through a mix of wonderful times and horrible times, as everyone does. Marriage won't solve many problems, though it does give you a whole heap of interesting new ones to distract you!

But for me, the relationship underpinning my life is heaven indeed. Like everyone else, we've had our share of the stuff life deals out sometimes. But I can honestly say that going through a hard time alongside my hubby is preferable to good times without him.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After 17 years, I still feel like I am married to my best friend.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After 30 years, I find it hard to add to what Gill H says. The trick is to stand together to face things, rather than to stand against each other.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From observation (which I have had the privilege and responsibility to do quite closely) as well as experience, I think marriage is widely variable. You can only guarantee that it won't be perfect. I used to think that St Paul was a bit hard on marriage as an institution but now I feel that his comments were fairly mild.

Cattyish. Married, still, after very nearly 16 years.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As has been said " a wife is a great help to a man in the problems he didnt have before he was married".
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, many of the problems you had when you were single are solved, only to be replaced by a whole different set!

If you take the view that we are created for relationship, I guess a good marriage hopes to be the best a relationship can be, ie heaven, whereas the loneliness that comes from being in a relationship which should be that but isn't, could come close to hell. Especially if it isolates you from other relationships.

But from my relatively short experience of marriage, I agree with others that it's mostly mixed!

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My marriage changed from heaven to hell almost on the turn of a sixpence . Once that had happened there was no way back, especially when it emerged that the other half had never regarded it as particularly heavenly from the outset.

Thankfully I now live happily in a committed relationship without the aid of a marriage certificate . When demons have been allowed to run amok in one marriage I believe they can quite easily come back to haunt a second.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My marriage was hell, I was lucky to get out alive

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My lovely bride and I contrived to celebrate marriage for thirty-five years. Whatever she saw in me when she was a teenager and we got engaged, I'll never know!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Kitten

If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all....

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
As has been said " a wife is a great help to a man in the problems he didnt have before he was married".

which of course can work the other way around as well....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is such a sadness to me that others have not got the deep deep contentment and just sheer joy that I've had being married. Whilst we got off to a rocky start, marrying FD was the best thing that could ever have happened to me and I thank God every day for him. We are both seriously flawed individuals, and total opposites, but I am blessed every day. [Yipee]

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was married in my early 20s for about a year and a half. I didn't know him or myself; he didn't know me or himself, and we had very different understandings of marriage.

Despite two lengthy relationships since, now both ended, I just don't think I'm suited to marriage. That one experience was allthe hell I'm ever going to want.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had one of each. Sounds 100% spot-on to me.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Winnow
Apprentice
# 5656

- Posted      Profile for Winnow   Email Winnow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
48 years married in three days. Together since the day we met, 50 years and 10 ten months ago. Full of the usual ups and downs, with more ups than downs. Not all Heaven, but definitely no hint of Hell. Fun growing up together!
Posts: 34 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
36 years yesterday - and neither of us regrets it at all.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid those of us with heavenly relationships must sound very smug to the others.

My wife and I met 30 years ago (come 9th September) and still find it amazing that it all worked out so wonderfully. Just luck, she was the youngest of four daughters of a CoE vicar, wealthy-ish family, all went to private schools, her sisters respectively married to a successful artist (pictures in the Tate etc), the head of a major Oxford college and a successful Army surgeon. And she got me, sufficient to say not so much a different league to her brothers in law as not even in the game. Our meeting entirely inauspicious, our backgrounds apparently incompatible, our subsequent life extremely happy.

So if it hasn't happened to you yet, it's mostly chance (or Heaven, if you prefer) and it could happen today. My wife advises: progressively lower your standards as you get older and you'll find it's amazing what you can put up with.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
DonLogan2
Shipmate
# 15608

- Posted      Profile for DonLogan2   Email DonLogan2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
.... Thus I deny the assumed dichotomy.

I`m with LJ on this one. My marriage could not be heaven(ly) nor could it be hell(ish), but sits among the myriad of different crests and troughs that life follows and one day will be no more.

--------------------
“I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth... "

Posts: 359 | From: the very depths | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
After 17 years, I still feel like I am married to my best friend.

After 35 years, I am still married to my best friend: Z has put up with me through thick and thin and she has put up with me through sickness and in health. I dearly pray she out lives me - she is a wee bit younger and I'd be a sad old git without her!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
D. and I celebrated our silver wedding on 2nd July this year and, like many of you, I'm delighted to say that I've spent the best quarter-century of my life married to my best friend.

[Axe murder]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016