homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Restoring a Welsh Chapel as a home

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Restoring a Welsh Chapel as a home
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am watching this programme, and finding myself in a bit of a time warp. The chapel was built in the 19th century, and sold in 2007. (BBC 2, Restoration Home - for those who can see it.)

The "experts" are talking about Nonconformism as though it no longer exists. They are talking about chapels I have worshipped in as though they belong only in the past.

There's a woman running through the history quite well. The man who seems to be a historian of architecture contrasts chapel design with the Gothic churches of the time, and says chapels were not used for worship, but ... at which point I could not understand exactly ... for the community to come together. It isn't a church, it is a meeting house.

I would have thought that to understand the history of a building in a village, you ask the people who know the area. They probably know why there are three in the village, very close to each other, capable of holding 800 each.

They've gone to the oldest independent chapel in Wales - fascinating. (Wish he didn't pronounce pulpit with the "u" the same as in "up" rather than "pull".)

They are talking as though this sort of worship is 200 years ago because the chapel was founded that long ago.

Be fair to the guy - he's now said the building was for worship.

[ 31. July 2013, 19:43: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
(Wish he didn't pronounce pulpit with the "u" the same as in "up" rather than "pull".)

There's a difference between those u sounds?

Edit: OK, after saying it again and again, I can sort of hear it. If there was a link to follow, I might be able to hear it better.

[ 31. July 2013, 19:54: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry Penny, I'm not quite clear what you want to discuss. Is it the TV programme (which may have a limited audience restricted to the UK), or is it the view that Nonconformism is dead - which sounds potentially more like a Purgatory topic?

If you could clarify a bit that would be great and we can take it from there.

Cheers

Ariel
Heaven Host

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't provide a link at the moment since it isn't up on iPlayer yet. Will do when possible.

And here it is. Programme link

There's lots of historical stuff about it on the net, so hardly the mystery the programme suggests.

I'm not sure how I want to discuss it - but I think it's really the way that the programme seems made by people who have no idea about the continued existence any sort of religion, let alone what went on. I was thinking of it a trivial thing, really, so that's why I put it here. So Ariel, I can't really help. I just needed to talk to someone about it.

[ 31. July 2013, 20:07: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:
(Wish he didn't pronounce pulpit with the "u" the same as in "up" rather than "pull".)

Can't speak for American accents, but in Southern English there's a marked difference; the 'u' in up sounds (to northern ears) almost like an 'a'.

In the Midlands and North, there's no difference at all and the 'a'-like sound is absent.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there's mileage in a discussion about change of use of a building. St. Fagan's has a very interesting church, which has been moved brick by brick from its original home. Without such an action, the church would probably eventually have become a ruin, whereas now it is visited by several hundred people each week. The old wall paintings have been restored and people can learn about what early churches were like in Wales, and what mattered to the attendees, even if it is no longer used for worship.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Karl, thank you for the elucidation. It is a sound I have never heard in that word, despite having heard a lot of accents. I'm wondering if it was a lone survival from the man's natural voice, in a desert of RP. If it had been accompanied by other similar sounds it wouldn't have been so jarring. It came across as if it were a word he had never heard in use, which fitted with the odd attitude to what Nonconformists did.

[ 31. July 2013, 20:40: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard the southern "up" vowel in "pulpit" either; I'd expect speakers from north and south to use the "put" vowel.

Incidentally (language geek time) it's known as the "put/putt" split - in the South those words are distinct; in the North they're homophones.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:

Can't speak for American accents, but in Southern English there's a marked difference; the 'u' in up sounds (to northern ears) almost like an 'a'.

In the Midlands and North, there's no difference at all and the 'a'-like sound is absent.

As one of my young nephews (from the High Peak) said of my dad (from South London): "Grandad doesn't say 'Booxton' (Buxton). He says 'Baahxton'. "

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The use meeting house/meeting hall is actually correct. The problem is that the meeting that is referred to is actually the main meeting for worship! The Quakers still use the archaic form.

The meeting i.e. the people the membership constituted the church not the building. The meeting hall was simply where they gathered and when it was not being used for worship might be used for other purposes completely. You find the deliberate secular use of meeting halls happens within some URCs to this day e.g. for a barn dance or church fair.

Jengie

p.s. Meeting is a participle of to meet, rather than the noun.

[ 31. July 2013, 20:53: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
I've never heard the southern "up" vowel in "pulpit" either; I'd expect speakers from north and south to use the "put" vowel.

I have heard pulpit pronounced like "pulp it" by one person, who I think hails from the Midlands somewhere. He also pronounces "long" the way that most people pronounce the organ that you breathe with.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I would have thought that to understand the history of a building in a village, you ask the people who know the area. They probably know why there are three in the village, very close to each other, capable of holding 800 each.

I don't know about the specifics but historically at the height of chapel life in the Welsh valleys there were more pew spaces than population.

The sad thing was how denominations were in competition - you set out to convert chapel folk from over the road as well as the heathen, so each built big enough to fit in the masses.* And were only ever full to the balcony for funerals, and the hymn festival - Cymanfa Ganu - etc and that does stick in folk memory though (See Robin Gill's book - The myth of the empty church).

A relevant joke is made about (south) Welshman on a desert island who when finally rescued was discovered to have built a pub, a rugby pitch and 2 chapels, when asked why 2 replies 'Well you see there's the chapel I go to and the chapel I don't'

And population explosion in these areas co-incided with non-conformist confidence so lots of energy in mission to the new communities, and whereas the location of the parish churches was based on the old patterns the chapels could start in the heart of mining terraces etc.

* And in places you can add in the Welsh and English speaking chapels of the same breed...

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the bilingual Valleys parish where I was curate over 30 years ago there were, as I recall, twenty-one places of worship still in operation for a population of under 10K.

At least two of them had seating for 1,000 and regular congregations of less than a dozen. I guess quite a lot of them will have closed since I was there.

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

This had a hall alongside for the other things - it was a typical galleried Noncom chapel in the main part. I did wonder about the minutes of the meetings for business of the place, as a source.

The hall is going to have three bedrooms, on with an ensuite bathroom above it, with the stairs formed by re-using the pew timber. The main part is going to be the living area, and has to be kept largely open plan.

Nothing was said about the burials outside.

A friend I spoke to on the phone about the programme immediately went to the joke (I must admit I hadn't heard the version with the oub and the rugby pitch before.) The local chapels seem to be collaborating now.

The couple have a very respectful attitude to the place, and were interested in the history. Unlike the woman in the Kentish hamlet my parents lived in, who bought the tin chapel that was next door to her pub, razed it, had the tombstones broken up as hard core under the drive of the house she was building, and built over the bodies of people whose relatives were still living nearby. And expressed her lack of caring about this clearly.

Nebo was initiated by a cause (an expression I had not seen before, but it is in several places on chapel histories) supported by an ironworks owner, whose son insisted on marrying the local girl he got pregnant, and then learning Welsh. There was also a very respected minister.

[ 01. August 2013, 10:49: Message edited by: Penny S ]

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Penny S

Are TV shows about house conversions coming back? I thought they'd gone out of fashion due to the financial crisis.

Anyway, the ones that involve the conversion of chapels normally give the impression that Nonconformity is dead, yes. It's unsurprising, because in many areas where these properties are becoming available Nonconformity has probably already faded away, bar perhaps one or two places of worship which are struggling to remain. And few people outside those small congregations will have much connection with that world now; there's no widely recognised Nonconformist penumbra or sphere of influence any more.

I studied in Swansea nearly 15 years ago and was surprised at how many abandoned or converted churches there were. I understand that Welsh chapel culture has pretty well gone, although some active chapels remain.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Welsh village where some of my wider family live, there used to be about 6 chapels (even Methodism had several different denominations and there was a time, so my relatives tell me, when some of them didn't even talk to each other!). Gradually, one by one, they all closed. Now, worshippers have to travel to the next small town along the valley if they wish to attend church.

I don't mind churches of dubious architectural value closing and being turned to other uses, if congregations dwindle. But there should be some serious thought given to the spiritual history when they are sold - sympathetic reuse, rather than just the highest bidder. At the very least, perhaps the church could ensure a lasting memorial and historical record could be left at the nearest museum, so important history does not get lost in the passage of time.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I think there's mileage in a discussion about change of use of a building. St. Fagan's has a very interesting church, which has been moved brick by brick from its original home. Without such an action, the church would probably eventually have become a ruin, whereas now it is visited by several hundred people each week. The old wall paintings have been restored and people can learn about what early churches were like in Wales, and what mattered to the attendees, even if it is no longer used for worship.

Breathtaking, isn't it? Saw it a few weeks ago. The wall paintings were somewhat shocking, in the sense that it made the place feel very gaudy. We are not used to seeing the original bright colours.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't mind churches of dubious architectural value closing and being turned to other uses, if congregations dwindle. But there should be some serious thought given to the spiritual history when they are sold - sympathetic reuse, rather than just the highest bidder. At the very least, perhaps the church could ensure a lasting memorial and historical record could be left at the nearest museum, so important history does not get lost in the passage of time.

When my Methodist church closed in 2011 I found out that the circuit was obliged to sell the church to the highest bidder. I think this applies to churches that are registered charities. (Few Methodist churches have to deal with covenants that restrict their use.) It's a shame, but circuits need the money.

As for church records, some of these will be kept in archives at local libraries. Some churches are lucky to have a church member (or even a complete outsider) who's taken it upon themselves to write up a history of the church. These little books are very useful for (former) church members and for anyone interested in local history.

[ 01. August 2013, 17:56: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Can't provide a link at the moment since it isn't up on iPlayer yet. Will do when possible.

And here it is. Programme link ....

Can't get it - I'm not really in Ambridge, I am only of English ancestry and currently listening to Radio 4 on puter.....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

When my Methodist church closed in 2011 I found out that the circuit was obliged to sell the church to the highest bidder. I think this applies to churches that are registered charities. (Few Methodist churches have to deal with covenants that restrict their use.) It's a shame, but circuits need the money.

All Methodist churches are held in model trust funds as part of the UK Methodist church and subject to the charity commission rules have to be sold for the best price for those assets to return back into the organisation to which they were given - not rerouted into another cause by subsided sale. Even if to a related cause - another worshipping group rather than the developer etc.

But as charity rules give us so many benefits elsewhere we just have to take it.

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I go on holiday in N.Wales a lot - the closed chapels half make me sad, and then I'm half glad the buildings are no longer driving a small congregation to despair.

I'd like to think if I ever lived in one, a church-noticeboard-style sign outside saying 'Capel*** closed for worship in 20**; open chapels remain at ***,*** and ***' would be nice.

When thinking of my own small church with an uncertain future, I try to think that the building makes a great memorial / witness to the faith of the people who built and maintained it, but adds nothing to the majesty of He who, if we are not mistaken, made Everything.

And if we are mistaken - it's all moot.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
All Methodist churches are held in model trust funds as part of the UK Methodist church and subject to the charity commission rules have to be sold for the best price for those assets to return back into the organisation to which they were given - not rerouted into another cause by subsided sale. Even if to a related cause - another worshipping group rather than the developer etc.

But as charity rules give us so many benefits elsewhere we just have to take it.

I have seen a surprising number of houses being sold off by the Methodist church (some may have been other non-conformist denominations) where charity rules (possibly from their own Trusts rather than just the Charity Commission) are being misapplied - they insist that they have to continue to market the property after an offer has been accepted, presumably in case a better offer comes along. It seems to me that this behaviour is so contrary to Christian principles that it cannot be acceptable.

It is counter-productive anyway. We have discarded houses we would otherwise have found extremely interesting because this policy was explained on the leaflets - quite simply, we don't do business with people we don't trust to behave honourably. How awful to have to apply that to a church.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that was standard for property sales in the UK outwith Scotland? In the boom years, I seemed to be forever hearing tales of gazumping.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. A property is not normally actively marketed after an offer has been accepted*. It may still appear on the various websites, but will be marked as 'sold subject to contract', and won't usually appear when a standard search is done (ie unless the box to include properties that are sold is ticked). It will not be advertised, and an agent will not give out the leaflet or arrange viewings.

It is also quite usual for a property to be withdrawn completely - we have always done this when selling, and insisted on it when buying.

*I'm talking about offers where the sale is going ahead and nobody is sitting around waiting to join up parts of the chain.

ETA In the boom years some agents behaved badly - it never was the norm. In my experience gazumping was more likely to be done behind the agent's back.

[ 05. August 2013, 12:14: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

We are in a giant circuit geographically and very rural so tiny rural chapels and a number have been closed and need to sell on, these have all been sold via 'private tender'(?) A set date for best bids to be in by.

As for your examples of people holding the market open that is not on, hold out for a better offer before accepting but once accepted it should be a commitment.

I occasionally see properties subject to repossession where they are advertised as having had an offer of £X and if anyone can improve on that they have a fixed number of days. This is linked to the obligation of the bank getting the best price towards clearing the mortgagee's debt, but it has a clear time frame, and I assume the potentially accepted offer people would hold off expensive surveys until after that date.

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

Yes - private tender is quite reasonable, although I don't suppose it works very well when the market is quiet.

The properties that were being sold with the understanding that they would continue to be marketed did, I suppose, have the virtue of stating the position clearly on the leaflets! I had a quick look to see if I still had any of them, so that I could quote them, but I didn't keep any. It was very stern though!

As they had been on the market for a very long time I did wonder what would happen if someone came along and made an offer that was subject to the house being taken off the market. If the Trustees or whoever were intent on getting the best deal and nothing else had been put on the table for several years, I hope they would have had the sense to bend a little. However, their interpretation of their responsibilities is so skewed that I suspect not.

--------------------

Trickydicky
Shipmate
# 16550

- Posted      Profile for Trickydicky   Email Trickydicky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two things:
Firstly, at least some early Primitive Methodist chapels were built so that they could be turned into houses. If the cause failed, they could sell the building as a house. If it succeeded and they needed somewhere bigger, they could sell the building as a house.

Secondly, having sold several Methodist buildings, this awful notion that you have to be open to higher offers up to the last minute stems from charity law. Trustees are required to get the best deal for the charity, or potentially face a law suit. I have never had a 'last minute offer', though. Sometimes I've had no offer at all!

--------------------
If something's worth doing, its worth doing badly. (G K Chesterton)

Posts: 57 | From: Greater Manchester | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

It's a misinterpretation of charity law though.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016