homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Style over Substance (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Style over Substance
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Take smartphones. Makers leapfrog each other to offer the slimmest phone on the planet, never mind that there's no room for a battery that will take a day's hard use. Is a phone a tool or a fashion accessory? The latter, it seems. I bought a charger case. My phone is twice as fat and a bit heavier, but it's not dead in my hand by early evening.

Any other examples?

Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
High heels - not just useless for walking (which is what feet are designed for) but also harmful to the feet.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The private motor car. If one travels 10,000 miles at an average of 25 mph that is how many hours of use in a year?

400. Yup, about an hour a day. For the other 23 it's going nowhere & doing nothing, except getting closer to the scrappers.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pantyhose. What is the point of covering legs if the coverings don't even keep the legs warm?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
The private motor car. If one travels 10,000 miles at an average of 25 mph that is how many hours of use in a year?

400. Yup, about an hour a day. For the other 23 it's going nowhere & doing nothing, except getting closer to the scrappers.

That sounds like pretty good utilisation for a possession to me. Many other household objects get much less use: those books that you only read once in a while; a food processor that you only get out when making soup; the lawn mower that gets used twice a month in Summer. Why single out the car?
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
Pantyhose. What is the point of covering legs if the coverings don't even keep the legs warm?

Are pantyhose the same as tights (or stocking/holdups/nylons)? If so, they do keep your legs warm.
Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I like cars. I'm a gear-head AND I probably drive 45 MPH on average, spending most of my commute on the motorways. Besides that, it's to hot to walk here much of the year!

Mechanical pencils: many have no eraser. There is some satisfaction in sharpening a US-made wooden yellow pencil.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ring-pull food cans. Yes, they may be a boon to people who are too lazy to remember where their tin-opener is but you need to have muscles on your muscles to open one. I work out three times a week and I struggle with them. My mother-in-law, who's in her eighties and lives alone, has had to give up some of her favourite soups because she can't get them out of the can.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can still open them by running a tin-opener round the underneath of the tin, or getting one of those electric tin-openers to do it for you.

And to add to this list, e-readers. I've said it before, but I can still pick up a book printed decades ago and just read it. It doesn't need recharging, batteries or upgrades and I won't have to have it replaced in a couple of years. It doesn't matter if I sit on it, drop it in the bath or swat flies with it, either.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strangely I was telling someone the other day what I wore in my teens before tights/pantyhose, when the skirts started to get a bit shorter. There was an abominable gap between stocking top and knickers which got excruciatingly cold in winter, with chapped skin and other uncomfortable symptoms.
To ease these phenomena, manufacturers brought out stretchy things like cycle shorts in various colours, such as black (no proper girl wears black underwear, said our deputy head), scarlet, and tartan patterns, with thin strips of lace around the edges, which filled the gap and kept things warm. What a joy was the invention of tights! I can't for the life of me remember what those things were called.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Directoire knickers? (and, no, I don't know why I know that either)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, that was what our weird teachers wore in summer, and they were silky and had elastic round the lower edge. And if you wear them, you should not sit on the desk and cross your legs - that's how I know!
We would not have had any truck with the things if they had shared the name with those. These were stretchy jersey fabric, so the shape of cycle shorts, close fitting. Less lycra, though!

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My memory is turning up the word "step-in" which I think was the name we gave to an elasticated pair of knickers worn over tights to keep them up and are now sold for tummy control.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

To ease these phenomena, manufacturers brought out stretchy things like cycle shorts in various colours, such as black (no proper girl wears black underwear, said our deputy head), scarlet, and tartan patterns, with thin strips of lace around the edges, which filled the gap and kept things warm.

I remember those. They had matching vest tops, so you could be encased from neck to just about knee like a 1920s bathing suit. I can't remember a name either, but my mother was dead keen on them (on account of the keeping warm thing) - but the red set would stobe through the white nylon school blouse.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Ring-pull food cans. Yes, they may be a boon to people who are too lazy to remember where their tin-opener is but you need to have muscles on your muscles to open one. I work out three times a week and I struggle with them. My mother-in-law, who's in her eighties and lives alone, has had to give up some of her favourite soups because she can't get them out of the can.

Use the handle of a spoon under the ring-pull to lever it up a wee bit, then turn it around so the curvy bit of spoon sits on the top of the tin and use the handle as a lever. Bigger lever makes less effort. I think there are thingies one can buy as well that are less improvisatory to make opening tins and things easier.

Back on the subject of the thread; ties. I never understood why they existed when I was as school, but am relieved that, being a girl, school was the end of me having to wear one.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

But I am glad that I was taught how to tie a tie, since the simple knot of school works very well for keeping flyaway scarves under control, and undoes easily. I have the knot half way down, making a V-shape.

I think the school tie was burned on the beach, along with our thick brown PE knickers, on the last day of school.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those juice cartons with the little plastic pouring spout: they Do Not Pour and get juice all over your kitchen counters.

Someone became a millionaire inventing them. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking in no friendly manner at our new toaster which is designed to hold only teensy-weensy bijou slicettes of bread.
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reality TV.

I know, I'm an old grump.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by que sais-je:
Reality TV.

I know, I'm an old grump.

Uhm I think they are bereft of both style and substance.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wore a tie every day except Saturday, for years and years and years from grammar school until my hair went grey (this was a considerable period of time). One day I looked in the mirror and asked, "Why the hell are you doing this? It looks weird and serves no useful purpose." There was no answer, and I kicked the habit there and then.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

A nice present for your mother-in-law might be a
Ring Pull Can Opener which google or amazon will show you. For a few dollars she can once again re-open the foods of yesteryear.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or get one of those electric tin-openers. It holds the can in place with a magnet, you press a button and the thing opens the can effortlessly. Mine is a blessing.
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe the British Medical Establishment decided to prohibit Doctors from wearing ties. They are never cleaned, but parked on the back of an office door and turned out to be a major way for disease transmission.

My last hospital stay was enlivened by pointing this factoid out to my doctors in their tie and jacket. They didn't seem keen on my suggestion of a disposable one use tie.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

By your metric, my car gets much more use than my toilet, so it's time to send the crapper to the scrapper?

The real metric is "can I accomplish what I need to accomplish in a simpler, less showy fashion" and the truth is that for most car-owners, there is no more reasonable way to get to the places that they need to go at the times they need to go there.

ETA: Now if we're talking about particular kinds of car...

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
I believe the British Medical Establishment decided to prohibit Doctors from wearing ties.

I could tell you an amusing story about a rather senior consultant surgeon, his tie, and a defibrillator training session...

[ 20. August 2013, 03:31: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
I could tell you an amusing story about a rather senior consultant surgeon, his tie, and a defibrillator training session...

Please do.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

To ease these phenomena, manufacturers brought out stretchy things like cycle shorts in various colours, such as black (no proper girl wears black underwear, said our deputy head), scarlet, and tartan patterns, with thin strips of lace around the edges, which filled the gap and kept things warm. What a joy was the invention of tights! I can't for the life of me remember what those things were called.

They were called witches britches in New Zealand. They were also a great hit with some elderly women I knew.

Huia

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Palimpsest:
quote:
A nice present for your mother-in-law might be a
Ring Pull Can Opener which google or amazon will show you.

Thanks, I'll look out for one. She's more likely to use something like that - she doesn't really like new electrical gadgets so if we bought her an electric can opener she wouldn't use it.

Here's another one; the automatic rounding up of numbers in Microsoft Excel. Yes, I know you can turn it off (and I do) - but WHY is it the default? What strange alternate universe do the Microsoft programmers inhabit where everyone types in 1.99 when they mean 2?

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Here's another one; the automatic rounding up of numbers in Microsoft Excel. Yes, I know you can turn it off (and I do) - but WHY is it the default? What strange alternate universe do the Microsoft programmers inhabit where everyone types in 1.99 when they mean 2?

It's not the number you type in that are the problem - it's the numbers you get when you divide by 3, or 7, or anything else that might end up with recurring decimal places. Spreadsheets are for calculating, after all...

But what about those sleeveless jumper things that were in fashion a couple of years ago? If I'm wearing a wooly jumper, my arms want to be warm as well as the rest of me!
And why don't skirts have pockets? One day i'm going to sit down and add pockets to all my skirts, I swear.
grumble grumble grumble

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canned shaving cream. Actually, it is not the can that bothers me. But the makers insist on pushing how thick their lather is. Why? It is applied to the face to assist shaving--the only layer that counts is the one next to the skin, where the blade is going to be. The rest of that "thick and luxurious" lather is just sitting up in the air serving no purpose at all.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Women aren't supposed to have pockets. They have handbags. Some trousers don't have them, either. Drives me up the wall.

Saves money for the manufacturers, less fabric, fewer processes.

If I am making things with no pockets in the pattern, I hijack the pattern from one with them and add them.

Anne Fine wrote about this problem in "Bill's New Frock".

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

On the back of that, trousers and jackets that have flaps stitched on to look like pockets, but which are completely unusable.

[ 20. August 2013, 13:13: Message edited by: Ariel ]

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I understand these and similar garments are called harvest festivals.

(All is safely gathered in......)

Also, black underwear? What's the issue there?

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
quote:

I understand these and similar garments are called harvest festivals.

(All is safely gathered in......)

I think you'd be wrong. That implies a degree of corsetry, whereas these were stretch nylon. That was part of the appeal - they were a lot less hampering than much of the underwear wished on one growing up. Preferable to the chunky-knit vests for a start.
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
On the back of that, trousers and jackets that have flaps stitched on to look like pockets, but which are completely unusable.

They make your bum look nicer. So yes, style over substance!!

Stocking/hosiery -> makes wearing shoes more comfortable, as it reduces the friction between skin and shoe. Plus it reduces chub-rub when wearing skirts or dresses.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
Plus it reduces chub-rub

That is a phrase I must remember!
[Killing me]

Personally, and I realise this might be better suited to the camera talk thread, I've always been a fan of the Werra camera (at bottom of page) - no frills, no extra gizmos, yet still looks good and works superbly.*

AG

*Owners of the latest digital offerings may disagree, but it works for me!

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
I wore a tie every day except Saturday, for years and years and years from grammar school until my hair went grey (this was a considerable period of time). One day I looked in the mirror and asked, "Why the hell are you doing this? It looks weird and serves no useful purpose." There was no answer, and I kicked the habit there and then.

I entirely agree - though I gave up well before you. I still have one tie - a black one for funerals. There I feel it's about how elderly friends and relatives might react.

Ties are about the only item of clothing that give men a look in on the otherwise female monopoly on odd garments. Unless anyone can suggest another.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Liberty bodices. Liberty from what? For whom? And what were the other buttons for?
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never wear a tie to mass or other church activities and if I have to go to a funeral, I just dress all in black. I am expected to wear a tie to sing with our Irish choir at Christmas time and was given one for the purpose. I have not worn a suit to work since I was a stockbroker back in the eighties.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ice tea maker

You boils your water, you brews your tea, you adds your ice. The electric ice tea maker is a total waste of money. IMHO

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
ice tea maker

You boils your water, you brews your tea, you adds your ice. The electric ice tea maker is a total waste of money. IMHO

Not only that, but iced tea is an Abomination Unto the Sight of God™

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
... iced tea is an Abomination Unto the Sight of God™

I defy you to say that about my iced tea with tonic.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Those juice cartons with the little plastic pouring spout: they Do Not Pour and get juice all over your kitchen counters.

You must shop at Carrefour Market [Razz]

Carrefour Market milk cartons for the fail. Géant fruit juice cartons for the win.

I offer you duvet covers. If a simple-to-change version cannot be devised, can a world standard version at least be adopted?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

I offer you duvet covers. If a simple-to-change version cannot be devised, can a world standard version at least be adopted?

Like this perhaps?

[ 20. August 2013, 20:39: Message edited by: Kitten ]

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
Like this perhaps?

I think you have an extra "http" in there. Try this.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:

If there is GIN in it, it becomes instantly acceptable.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pete C posted
quote:

Clearly you are thinking of sweet tea which is an abomination.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About 50% of stuff in cookshops.

A spoon rest? An egg-slicer? An egg yolk separator? [Disappointed]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:

'iced tea with tonic' -- please explain!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Pete C posted
quote:

Clearly you are thinking of sweet tea which is an abomination.
Since 'sweet tea' is known here in the Low Country as 'the house wine of the South' you are clearly teading on regional toes! [Big Grin]

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016