homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Daily Office (yet again) (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Daily Office (yet again)
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks absolutely splendid. But does it take houra a day to say?

One really good thing about smartphones and the Daily Office is that AT LAST,(for an Anglican) at long bloody last, it is possible to have something IN ONE BOOK. Well, ONE PLACE.

That for me is the first, second, third and main consideration in the use of ANY office. IS IT IN ONE BOOK (PLACE)? The fussing around with an office book, bible, lectionary is just absurd.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might have been said before, but I have just found the Mundelein Psalter. I'm still trying to figure some of it out as the layout is a little odd, but it has some very nice resources (lots of free stuff on the net too here )
Click on the audio files page and you can get a whole set of free office hymns

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A little glitch in my Collegeville breviary which I hope is not repeated in the Baronius Press version. For last week's commemoration of Pope St Urban, the Latin is "Deus, qui Ecclesiam tuam, in apostolicae petrae soliditate fundatam, ab infernarum eruis terrore portarum: praesta, quaesumus; ut, intercedente beato Urbano tuo atque Summo Pontifice, in tua veritate persistens, continua securitate muniatur". This is fine except that the English translation runs "Lord, Eternal Shepherd, in Your Goodness watch over your flock and guard it always under the protective patronage of Your Martyr and Sovereign Pontiff St. Urban, whom You made to be shepherd of Your Whole Church", which is an entirely different collect!

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
A little glitch in my Collegeville breviary which I hope is not repeated in the Baronius Press version. For last week's commemoration of Pope St Urban, the Latin is "Deus, qui Ecclesiam tuam, in apostolicae petrae soliditate fundatam, ab infernarum eruis terrore portarum: praesta, quaesumus; ut, intercedente beato Urbano tuo atque Summo Pontifice, in tua veritate persistens, continua securitate muniatur". This is fine except that the English translation runs "Lord, Eternal Shepherd, in Your Goodness watch over your flock and guard it always under the protective patronage of Your Martyr and Sovereign Pontiff St. Urban, whom You made to be shepherd of Your Whole Church", which is an entirely different collect!

For some reason [and it could really do some damage to my Lutheran Pew Cred], I know that the latter is a generic collect taken from the Common of Popes. (See here, oops, SSPX is also not good for Lutheran Pew Cred.)

Ah, I see that the Latin collect is also from the Common of Popes. It's kinda funny/sad that they would mess it up so much that a person who recognizes only bits and pieces of Latin (me) can figure out that they are two different collects.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
quote:

Ah, I see that the Latin collect is also from the Common of Popes. It's kinda funny/sad that they would mess it up so much that a person who recognizes only bits and pieces of Latin (me) can figure out that they are two different collects.
I thought the same, being in much the same position as you. My sources tell me that the Collegeville breviary was not expected to last long and - I infer - put together in a hurry, which might explain this and other little errors.

--------------------
Catholic books

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The CW daily office has such tortuously long readings which I find really boring. The Roman one does at least give the opportunity for some`readings other than biblical.

AND it is NOT IN ONE BOOK. As you may remember, this is my over riding principle in selecting an office to say. I have the impression that probably most people who say the daily office regularly do so 'solitary'.

Again, this is the value of having the office downloaded on to a smart phone. One can even vary the language: English, Spanish, Latin...

--------------------
sebhyatt

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm afraid the problem persists in the Baronius breviary, except that instead of "Lord" we now find "Oh God". Nice find, send it to Baronius?

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:

I'm afraid the problem persists in the Baronius breviary, except that instead of "Lord" we now find "Oh God". Nice find, send it to Baronius?
Will do; the correct English translation does feature on p.818 of volume II, the Common of Confessor Bishops, but that does of course mean you have to go looking for it.

--------------------
Catholic books

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand tfrom The Portal magazine that a customary for the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham in the UK will shortly be published by Canterbury Press of Norwich.

Among other things it will contains orders for Morning and Evening Prayer based on the BCP, as well as the Coverdale Psalter, the Litany, minor offices for use during the day and Compline.

Posts: 235 | From: Nowhere in Particular | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antiphon:
I understand tfrom The Portal magazine that a customary for the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham in the UK will shortly be published by Canterbury Press of Norwich.

Now Ł38.25 The Customary was only Ł23.99 when I ordered mine a week or so ago!

[ 02. June 2012, 18:49: Message edited by: Sacred London ]

Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also just ordered a copy of the Customary of Our Lady of Walsingham from Amazon.
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

I ordered mine from Alan & Margaret Edwards at Ł28.50, which I thoight a fair price, and also a good opportunity to support one of my favourite booksellers (copies of their new and secondhand theological books catalogue can be obtained from am.books@tiscali.co.uk if anyone is interested.)

--------------------
Catholic books

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

I've just received a copy of the 1944 edition of The Prayer Book Office by Fr Paul Hartzell, which is in good condition. I haven't looked at it closely yet, but there would seem to be some quite significant differences between it and the 1963 edition which I also have.

I have also just heard from Amazon that the publication of The Customary of Our Lady of Walsingham has been put back to September.

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

After having a brief look at the 1944 Prayer Book Office I note that it has the original 1549 orders of Morning and Evening Prayer as well as some common lessons printed in full which may be used for the recitation of MP and EP.

On the other hand it does not have the orders for Prime, Terce, Sext, None and Compline which the 1963 edition has, nor does it appear to any antiphons for the psalms.

In any case, both editions are fascinating books, which I think that on the whole I prefer to the later editions compiled by Howard Galley in the 1980s based on the 1979 ECUSA BCP, although the latter also contain much interesting material.

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

Correction - the 1944 Prayer Book Office does have psalm antiphons. I have just prayed Evensong using the 1549 order and the common lections for the Trinity season.

I remember reading somewhere some time ago that Lancelot Andrewes Press had vaguely considered reprinting Hartzell's PBO, but had been uncertain whether to reprint the 1944 or 1963 editions. Nothing seems to have come of this, though.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I remember reading somewhere some time ago that Lancelot Andrewes Press had vaguely considered reprinting Hartzell's PBO, but had been uncertain whether to reprint the 1944 or 1963 editions. Nothing seems to have come of this, though.

I'd want the 1963, as I've already got the 1944. I'm imagining that the 1963 might be less confusing to use than the 1944 (and more developed in some ways).
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

Well, I've also got the 1963 PBO and I'm not certain that it is less confusing to use than the 1944 edition!! It is possibly slightly more developed, as it has the orders for Prime, Terce, Sext, None and Compline which the 1944 edition does not.

I will have to compare both editions closely to see how much the 1963 edition advanced on that of 1944.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, I've also got the 1963 PBO and I'm not certain that it is less confusing to use than the 1944 edition!! It is possibly slightly more developed, as it has the orders for Prime, Terce, Sext, None and Compline which the 1944 edition does not.

I will have to compare both editions closely to see how much the 1963 edition advanced on that of 1944.

I get confused in the 1944 edition by the various iterations of the Office rites: 1549, 1928...is the 1662 in there as well? I forget...

I do like the World Calendar, though! Fixed date for Easter; 30-day months plus World Holidays...perhaps one of them can be Festivus.

[ 26. June 2012, 20:32: Message edited by: Oblatus ]

Patrick
Shipmate
# 305

- Posted      Profile for Patrick   Email Patrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The earlier editions of Fr. Hartzell's Prayer Book Office were more Sarum use based. For instance, the rubrics and texts suppose First Vespers for all feasts, minor feasts lacking Second Vespers. Compare this to the identical scheme in the SSJE Hours of Prayer, based upon Sarum Use. The earlier edition happily provides the 1549 services of Matins and Evensong. Compared to the 1963 edition and its followup, the earlier PBO is much much difficult to navigate, as has been said, given the Psalm antiphons being place in a separate section from the seasonal and sanctoral material. After 1963 Fr, Hartzell put in idiosyncratic material. Instead of the Old Testament texts for Vespers for Sundays in the post-Pentecost season, for instance,Fr. Hartzell employs a sentence from the Epistle of the day. The same is true for the post-Epiphany season. He omits the commemoration of St. Stephen, St. John and the Innocents on the other days of the Christmas octave. And he adds his own (prescient) opinions, like the elimination of the Septuagesima season. On the other hand, the additional canticle from the Ambrosian rite for the minor feasts is quite lovely and all the Septuagesima material is provided. The provision of a World Calendar is about as far in liturgical experimentation as Fr. Hartzell ventures. He never goes to the extreme of Howard Galley, for instance, IMHO. The Anglo Catholic Liturgy of the Hours, available through Lulu, is much like Fr. Hartzell's book, but gives only one hymn for Mattins.
I love Fr. Hartzell's book, use it (1963 edition) for my daily office (with the addition to Matins of the Laudate Psalms and daily Old Testament canticle taken from the Lancelot Andrewes Book of Common Prayer). I had recommended to the Press that it consider reissuing Fr. Hartzell's groundbreaking and edifying work.

Posts: 109 | From: Fordham University, Bronx, N.Y. U.S.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

In contrast with both editions of Fr Hartzell's Prayer Book Office, the English Office, which was reprinted by Canterbury Press three years or so ago, is rather simpler in its ethos, as it merely contains the basic 1662 orders for Mattins and Evensong with supplementary material such as office hymns, psalm antiphons and additional collects.
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

but no readings? So one still needs at least two books...oh dear.

--------------------
sebhyatt

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just have to share something funny that happened yesterday.

I was officiating at Evening Prayer, and the congregation was a couple who had never been to EP before, but had intentionally come.

We're just about to say the Psalm together (I had announced the Psalm) when two men came up to the very small chapel and had a look that I usually interpret as wanting to join the service but being uncertain whether they can - so I looked at them and smiled.

One of the men said, "Is there an office here?"

I answered "yes" immediately - 'cause I was assuming he was interested in the service, and I interpreted his question as "Is this the Daily Office here?"

Turns out he was looking for lost & found, and kept asking questions and telling his story. I kept my answers brief, so he started asking the man in the congregation - who of course didn't know much. Finally I said, "I could take you to lost & found if I weren't in the middle of a service."

I helped them after the service, of course.

I hate to say it, but EP on Saturdays usually isn't very prayerful-feeling, 'cause it's almost always got someone who doesn't really know what they're doing, and is preoccupied with doing the right thing at the right time. I always talk them through it ("We continue with the Magnificat on p. 119," e.g.) but still sometimes they feel self-conscious or distracted and can't follow very well. The Psalm is always the hardest part.

"We will say the Psalm responsively by whole verse, pausing briefly at the asterisk. I will say the odd-numbered verses, and the congregation will say the even-numbered" usually gets the congregation trying to jump in at the asterisk of the first verse.

(If there are enough people, we do it by sides, since seating is collegial. If there are only 2 or 3 people, and I don't know them, I'll often do the me/them split so the congregation can be together and no one feels self-conscious.)

Then sometimes I'm alone, and vested, and saying all the parts, and tourists are taking pictures of me (well, probably of the chapel). When I'm alone, I like to read the readings in a very loud voice so people can hear it (my disembodied voice) throughout the cathedral, especially if it's a fun passage from Revelation or something. [Snigger]

[ 08. July 2012, 20:57: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlav12
Apprentice
# 17148

- Posted      Profile for jlav12   Email jlav12   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading the Psalm together (i.e. in unison without alternating verses) has helped me when I lead the Office. I've found that selecting canticles in numerical order also helps so that the Office has a logical feel to it.
Posts: 34 | From: Albany, New York | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really hate to say this, because I like using the Prayer Book, but have you considered making a Saturday Night Evening Prayer booklet?

You could easily make an insert on another color of paper that could could slip into the office booklet (at the correct place) each week, containing the Psalm(s) with people parts in bold, the Gloria Patri(s), and the Reading(s), with Canticle(s) if need be.

There is no reason to overcomplicate it with twenty different sentences of scripture at the beginning, or twenty different collects at the end. As long as the officiant knows to use them, it's all good.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

If anyone is interested a set of the recently-published but already out of print Baronius Press Roman Breviary is currently for sale on eBay to the highest bidder. However, it seems that the breviaries may only be collected from the seller who is unwilling to post them.
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
If anyone is interested a set of the recently-published but already out of print Baronius Press Roman Breviary is currently for sale on eBay to the highest bidder. However, it seems that the breviaries may only be collected from the seller who is unwilling to post them.

I think the "collection only" label is a subterfuge to avoid being caught by any capped postage requirements eBay may be imposing. I'd love to know the size of the print run...

--------------------
Catholic books

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that it's confirmed that the Liturgy of the Hours is being re-translated soon (Drafts are to be submitted as soon as October!) I wonder if we will finally get the office hymns?

Liturgiam Authenticam says that everything has to be translated exactly and thoroughly,and in totality, with nothing omitted or replaced, so I'm guessing (Hoping!) the semi-illegal addition of popular hymns will be changed, even if it happens after a huge fight.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

It seems that the Baronius Press Breviary which was up for bids on eBay has now been withdrawn from sale as the seller apparently no longer has it available. Perhaps he got a better offer outwith eBay!!

I also hope that revised translation of the Liturgy of the Hours has the appropriate Office Hymns when it eventually appears. I have never thought that the current hymns provided in the UK, USA and African editions were particularly satisfactory. Benedictine Daily Prayer on the other hand does provide modern translations of the Office Hymns, which are usable if not perfect.

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

The Baronius Press Breviary was re-listed on a "buy-it-now" basis as the reserve was not met, so I jumped in quickly and bought it as I may not get another chance to acquire the set!!
Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a copy of "Monastic Breviary Matins" from Lancelot Andrewes Press.

It is a very attractive volume, and the cover is just amazingly soft and smooth. It needs ribbons so badly though... I have like seven bookmarks in it now.

I like the feature of using accent marks and italics to indicate when syllables in the hymns should be sounded out of elided, respectively.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna pray regularly with it, because I don't have the (more expensive) companion volume the "Monastic Duirnal", and unless I do the awkwardly mismatched thing of Breviary Matins + BCP Evening Prayer, I'll only have one (very long) office per day.

--------------------
IN SOVIET ЯUSSIA, SIGNATUЯE ЯEAD YOU!

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it possible to download CW:DP from the website so as to use it as an e-book? (I think I got all the terms right there - I want to put Matins and Evensong according to Common Worship for a two week period onto my Kindle. Is that possible?)

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

I received my Baronius Press breviary from the eBay seller this morning. It is a very handsome publication and I am delighted with it. It should give a lifetime of service.

I will keep my Collegeville Breviary in reserve and possibly use it as a travelling breviary.

Has anyone ever read the book by Donald Withey on the influence of the Roman Breviary on the devotional life of John Henry Newman when he was still an Anglican? I used to have a copy but gave it away some time ago. I believe that Newman collected several editions of the breviary himself which are still preserved in his room at Oscott College.

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
I believe that Newman collected several editions of the breviary himself which are still preserved in his room at Oscott College.

...All the best people do, you know!

I have the Withry book although I haven't read it yet; in fact I am grateful to you for reminding me of it as I was looking for some holiday reading! I am undecided yet whether I will take my Collegeville with me or go for the Short Breviary.

--------------------
Catholic books

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

The Farnborough Abbey Monastic Diurnale is also a good short breviary for taking on holiday, as is the edition published by Lancelot Andrewes Press. Neither of them take up much room in a suitcase or travelling bag. The Diurnale Romanum which I think was published under SSPX auspices is also good for this purpose, as it has all the 1961 Breviarium Romanum offices except Matins.

I think it would be rather a good idea if Vatican Press or perhaps Midwest Theological Forum produced a single-volume edition of the Latin Liturgia Horarum for travelling, containing all the offices for the entire year except the Office of Readings. This would be the Latin equivalent to the Collins Daily Prayer volume.

*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thurible:
I was looking into ways of getting CW:DP onto the kindle. I feel it should be possible using Calibre but I haven't got it to work yet, and I'm struggling to find the time to do it.

You can try saving the HTML from the web then emailing it to your @kindle.com address. That sort of works.

Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Laurence
Shipmate
# 9135

- Posted      Profile for Laurence   Email Laurence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
It looks absolutely splendid. But does it take houra a day to say?

One really good thing about smartphones and the Daily Office is that AT LAST,(for an Anglican) at long bloody last, it is possible to have something IN ONE BOOK. Well, ONE PLACE.

That for me is the first, second, third and main consideration in the use of ANY office. IS IT IN ONE BOOK (PLACE)? The fussing around with an office book, bible, lectionary is just absurd.

Absolutely. The Common Worship Daily Prayer website here, for all its idiosyncrasies, has made such a difference to me. In fact, I'd say it's the best thing the C of E has done in the last few years from the point of helping me to pray (rather than helping me to bang my head against a brick wall and moan "Why, Lord?" [Devil] ).

It was an amazing moment when I realised that I could say Evening Prayer on the train or at home, without having to make up readings and collects- or alternatively carry three books around with me. And no more flicking through hundreds of pages, back and forth to find collects, psalms, antiphons for the Common of a Bishop Who Was Not A Virgin... joy!

At last, we're freed from Cranmer's bugbear- that it takes longer to find what you've got to read than to actually read it out!

Posts: 648 | From: Lincolnshire | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

Will this go into a phone directly?

I have just purchased hyperion's Psalms of David a 12 CD boxed set of all the psalms sung by the choir of King's College, Cambridge.

I enjoy keeping my Latin up with the Liturgia Horarum on my phone and in the four volumed set. However, after a number of years I just hanker after those words of Coverdale and that glorious, incomparable Anglican chant. I understand that Pope Benedict XVI likes it as well.

And in that version sung almost daily in English cathedrals, they are so easy to commit to memory. When I am old and blind, I shall rely on that.

--------------------
sebhyatt

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have just purchased hyperion's Psalms of David a 12 CD boxed set of all the psalms sung by the choir of King's College, Cambridge.

St Paul's Cathedral [Biased] . The second series of the complete Psalter coming out from the record label Priory has very interesting settings.
Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Utrecht Catholic
Shipmate
# 14285

- Posted      Profile for Utrecht Catholic   Email Utrecht Catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was not the Priory label which has produced the complete 150 Psalms from St.Paul's but the other label Hyperion.

--------------------
Robert Kennedy

Posts: 220 | From: Dordrecht | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
quote:

St Paul's Cathedral [Biased] . The second series of the complete Psalter coming out from the record label Priory has very interesting settings.
Yes St Pauls. A good choir whatever.

--------------------
sebhyatt

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Realized that a new edition of a hymnal of for the Hours is available. Hymns for Prayer and Praise is worth checking out and using.
Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
AND it is NOT IN ONE BOOK. As you may remember, this is my over riding principle in selecting an office to say. I have the impression that probably most people who say the daily office regularly do so 'solitary'.

I don't think I have brayed recently about this decent one-book option for saying the daily office in the Episcopal Church.

The American 1979 BCP is bound together with the NRSV.

It satisfies those who are content to use the words TEC wants you to use. It is all you need. Plus, Oxford may still be including the old BCP1979 Lectionary in addition to the RCL.

If you want an older version of the Coverdale Psalter (say the American BCP 1928) or if you can't abide the NRSV and need the RSV, you are out of luck, so far as I know.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Realized that a new edition of a hymnal of for the Hours is available. Hymns for Prayer and Praise is worth checking out and using.

I use the first edition, and would be grateful to see what has changed.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
quote:

I use the first edition, and would be grateful to see what has changed.
I've got both and like them a lot. The new one isn't a radical overhaul but has some judicious improvements. From the preface:

"The principles of the first edition have been upheld, but the collection has been revised and enlarged, including expansion of the hymns for Lent and Eastertide, and additional hymns for the Common and for specific feasts. At the suggestion of The Canterbury Press, the revised edition appears in two versions: words and melodies only, and full music."

The preface goes on to explain that the first edition's contents were thoroughly reviewed by the compilers and by representatives of religious communities around the world, and also someone from "an English cathedral where the book is used daily." The compilers then decided which items should be retained without changes, which revised, and which replaced. Many made the cut without revision; 60+ texts are new (favoring North American contributors like Saint Meinrad Archabbey and St. Walburga Abbey).

The second edition pays closer attention to the plainsong melodies, eschewing the adaptation and simplification that was done in the first edition.

There's also now a collection of "common melodies" that can easily be transferred from one hymn text to another, to help small communities and churches or users with limited music-reading skills.

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strangelywe seem to be returning to the situation that obtained in the days of the metrical psalters. There may have been 150 psalms in metre, but only about two dozen tunes in common use in most parishes. The vast profusion of tunes and hymns - at least in Anglicanism - is a product of the Western Gallery music, Evangelicalism, and then the High Church and Anglo-Catholic responses to the same.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:

I don't think I have brayed recently about this decent one-book option for saying the daily office in the Episcopal Church.

The American 1979 BCP is bound together with the NRSV.

It satisfies those who are content to use the words TEC wants you to use. It is all you need. Plus, Oxford may still be including the old BCP1979 Lectionary in addition to the RCL.

If you want an older version of the Coverdale Psalter (say the American BCP 1928) or if you can't abide the NRSV and need the RSV, you are out of luck, so far as I know.

Yes this is an excellent publication - as was the older version. There is much to be said for praying the prayer of the church, rather than just praying one what wants in a solopistic sort of way.

It is still a pity that one cant find this combined with Covedale's psalter. If one removed the unnecessary repetition of collects (it only requires one brain cell to be able to move from traditional to contemporary English with the collects so unnecessary to print both versions), it would only need a little more space perhaps.

But thank you for reminding us. It is splendid.

--------------------
sebhyatt

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

Even BETTER perhaps is TEC's Daily Office Book in two volumes bound in leather and just about pocket size.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

Just ordered a set of the Midwest Theological Forum edition of the Liturgia Horarum. It will be interesting to see how it compares with the vinyl-covered Vatican Press edition.

I ordered the hardback edition as the leather-covered edition is well beyond my means!!!!!

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

I've just taken delivery of the hardback six-volume edition of the Liturgia Horarum published by Midwest Theological Forum.

My initial impressions are that the quality of the printing and binding of this edition is excellent and much better than that of the vinyl-covered Vatican Press edition which I also have.

On the other hand, I think that this edition would be better used in church and at home rather than when travelling, as it is fairly large and rather more like a textbook in size in comparison with the Vatican Press edition and with the various English-language editions of the LOH. It looks and feels rather like the three volume Latin-French Heures Gregoriennes. Also, there are only two ribbons per volume, and I really think more are required.

Each of the six volumes is provided with two cards for the frequently-used texts such as the Benedictus and Magnificat.

It will be interesting to see if MTF will eventually publish an English version of the LOH when the revision of it is complete. I very much hope so.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016