homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Daily Office (yet again) (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Daily Office (yet again)
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you. I'd looked on the CUP site a little while before posting but had missed it.

The AV is a bit of a minus for me too but would do, potentially. If anyone knows of a BCP bound with the RSV, that'd be fab.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Customary of Our Lady of Walsingham contains orders for Morning Prayer, Midday Prayer, Evening Prayer and Compline which are all based on the BCP tradition in traditional language. I have not examined all the contents thoroughly yet, but I note that EP has the option of using the same biblical canticles from EP in the LOH instead of the Nunc Dimittis if Compline is also to be said.

The full BCP psalter is also included, as are collects in traditional language for all Sundays and holy days in the liturgical year, which follows the Ordinariate version of the modern Roman calendar using Sundays after Trinity rather than Sundays in Ordinary Time. Office hymns are provided for most days, with melodies, and music is also provided for other parts of the offices.

A full office lectionary is provided for the entire year but a bible is still required for the readings themselves, the RSV Catholic Edition being prescribed for Ordinariate use.Short readings are provided for Midday Prayer and there are also short readings for use while travelling.

An interesting selection of patristic readings by such authors as John Henry Newman are provided for use as additional readings on Sundays and other Holy Days.

A prayer for the Pope is provided for use after the third collect at EP.

The Customary is purely an office book and has no order for mass, although it does have the order for Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament for use after EP.

One omission which I originally thought was an error is that no office hymn is provided for MP on Thursdays throughout the year. However, after looking at the ordo which can be downloaded on the Ordinariate website I note that no office hymn is specified for Thursday MP there either, although it is for MP on all other days of the week.I do not know why this should be.

Posts: 235 | From: Nowhere in Particular | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a Compline?

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Is anyone aware of an (English) BCP bound with a full Bible? There's the American 1928 found here but I don't recall ever seeing an English one (ideally, 1928 but 1662 fine).

Thurible

If you can find a 1928 prayer book and an appropriate Bible in the same page size, a bookbinder might be able to bind them together for you. I had that done for my Greek and Hebrew texts as an ordination Bible. At that time getting them bound together cost about the same as buying a decent Bible.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patrick
Shipmate
# 305

- Posted      Profile for Patrick   Email Patrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Customary's Thursday Morning Office Hymn: how odd! I checked the Ordinariate ordo for the post-Trinity season, and, as noted, no hymn is appointed for Thursday Matins. Assuming that the ferial hymns in the Customary are those assigned in the traditional Roman Use (as opposed to the invariable ferial hymns for the post-Trinity season assigned in the Use of Sarum), the English Hymnal, I believe, would provide the proper one. in the Epiphany season offerings: either "Nox atra" or "Lux ecce".
Posts: 109 | From: Fordham University, Bronx, N.Y. U.S.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antiphon:
The Customary of Our Lady of Walsingham contains orders for Morning Prayer, Midday Prayer, Evening Prayer and Compline which are all based on the BCP tradition in traditional language. I have not examined all the contents thoroughly yet, but I note that EP has the option of using the same biblical canticles from EP in the LOH instead of the Nunc Dimittis if Compline is also to be said.

The full BCP psalter is also included, as are collects in traditional language for all Sundays and holy days in the liturgical year, which follows the Ordinariate version of the modern Roman calendar using Sundays after Trinity rather than Sundays in Ordinary Time. Office hymns are provided for most days, with melodies, and music is also provided for other parts of the offices.

A full office lectionary is provided for the entire year but a bible is still required for the readings themselves, the RSV Catholic Edition being prescribed for Ordinariate use.Short readings are provided for Midday Prayer and there are also short readings for use while travelling.

An interesting selection of patristic readings by such authors as John Henry Newman are provided for use as additional readings on Sundays and other Holy Days.

A prayer for the Pope is provided for use after the third collect at EP.

The Customary is purely an office book and has no order for mass, although it does have the order for Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament for use after EP.

One omission which I originally thought was an error is that no office hymn is provided for MP on Thursdays throughout the year. However, after looking at the ordo which can be downloaded on the Ordinariate website I note that no office hymn is specified for Thursday MP there either, although it is for MP on all other days of the week.I do not know why this should be.

All wonderful BUT pretty much useless as 'a bible is still required'.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much better to stick to the Liturgia Horarum or the Old Rite and stick in a prayer for The Queen to make it autentically English or whatever.

Both rites, fabulously, ingeniously, sensibly, only require the devout to have the ONE BOOK at a time. Or a computer or smart phone of course.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, there is an Order of Compline in The Customary of Our Lady of Walsingham along with the Marian antiphons and melodies.

I would have to agree that it is not an office book I would find particularly suitable for travelling myself as you also need to take a bible along with you for the lections. However, one possible use might be as a supplementary resource for the standard DO/LOH, as the office hymns might be used instead of those found in these books. Also, the patristic readings might be used as alternatives for the Office of Readings on certain occasions.

Craigie
Apprentice
# 17364

- Posted      Profile for Craigie   Email Craigie       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have recently had three prayer books rebound by Leonard's Books in the USA. I chose their 17th Century Parson's style with spinded goatskin. They turned out superbly, far better than I imagined. I had Galley's "Prayer Book Office", "Common Worship Daily Prayer" and "Common Prayer for Ordinary Radicals" done.

Two questions:-

1) What other prayer books would you add to this list to rebind? (I have the bug!!)
2) Has anyone else had any experience of rebinding prayer books? If so please share! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The End is Nigh.

Posts: 15 | From: Middle of Nowhere | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had our seminary chapel's missal rebound in Berkeley, by Pettingell Book Bindery. It was a simple job--rebind in similar red buckram boards, repair a couple of pages, re-attach some tabs. They did a superb job, which cost around $80.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They might be getting my parish's American Missal before too long. It is getting rather sad, and I do not like the layout Anglican Missal, even though we have one in decent condition.

One quirk of my parish is that we use the Missal at the altar, but the audible part of the Mass is pretty much 1928 BCP. We only add the Pax, Agnus Dei, and Ecce, Agnus Dei. I find this keeps both the "Broads" and the "Highs" in my parish happy.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Received my Customary of Our Lady of Walsingham today. Quite good. I have some typographical quibbles with it, as one does. The forgetting to put a hymn for Thursday morning is regrettable. I'm glad not to see too many typos.

The lectionary is slightly confusing, and I would have used a simple scheme of M for Morning and E for Evening rather than wasting so much space putting the headings Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer on their own lines for every day of the year. Might have saved some space that could have been used between verses in the psalter.

Meow. [Razz] But not bad. I'm sure the typography was Fr Lloyd's labour of love, and in that, it's impressive. I'd do things differently but not necessarily better.

[ 30. October 2012, 03:30: Message edited by: Oblatus ]

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

What the Customary of Our Lady of Walsingham does not have are antiphons for the psalms and gospel canticles at MP and EP. However, these can easily be supplied from other sources if you do not mind switching between books, such as The English Office also published by Canterbury Press or the Anglican Catholic Liturgy of the Hours available from Lulu.

I have found the short readings provided for use and MP and EP on certain occasions quite useful as it means a bible is not always necessary when using the Customary for the office.

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What the Customary of Our Lady of Walsingham does not have are antiphons for the psalms and gospel canticles at MP and EP.

Really? So, with the exception of offering alternative canticles, are Matins and Evensong simply the Prayer Book Offices?

Thurible

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That strikes me as extraordinary! For its presumed audience, I would say that that is a remarkable omission and will severely dent its chances of being used?

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You want Anglican patrimony? You got it. 1662™ [Razz]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

I would say that in essence the orders for MP and EP in The Customary of Our Lady of Walsingham are the BCP offices with additional canticles and optional hymns. I think the collects also differ from those in the BCP, and there is also the option of using patristic readings as a third reading.

I suppose it would be perfectly possible for to use, for example, the C of E's 1928 BCP in the same kind of way if one had the additional material at hand.

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

Indeed. When using the Prayer Book offices, as is the custom in the domestic oratory, I add the Office Hymn from the English Hymnal, sing the 'Salve' where it tells me to [sing "the Anthem"], and read from 'Celebrating the Seasons'/'Saints' afterwards.

Sounds like the bank manager will be keeping my money.

Thurible

--------------------

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

I know an Episcopalian priest who uses the 1929 Scottish Prayer Book in a similar way. At Matins, for example, he adds the office hymn from the English Hymnal and the patristic reading from the RC Divine Office as a third reading.
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
Anyone have any bulletins or breaking news about the Daily Office? Rumours of new books?

In the realm of things I didn't think I'd see for a long time:

The Office of Theology and Worship of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) has released an iPhone/iPad app for the Daily Office, with the offices based those in on The Book of Common Worship. ($2.99 at the iTunes store.)

There are no bells and whistles (or music) -- it is pretty much the straightforward texts for Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer, with opening sentences, psalms and readings (3 of each), canticle, thanksgiving and intercessions, concluding collect, Lord's Prayer and dismissal for each. (Evening Prayer also includes the Service of Light.) Each part of the office is on a separate "page." Midday Prayer and Prayer at the Close of Day are said to ne in preparation for future updates.

More info is here, if anyone is interested.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right you want something interesting, then there is Seeking God's Face. It is not really an office book having one service a day, but it does follow the liturgical year, it uses silence and prayer around passages of the Bible (I suspect it is Lectio Divina but I am no expert on that and the compiliers would not use the term). Yes it is from a Conservative Reformed stance.

As I said interesting!

I intend to use it as one of my daily devotions next year and see how I get on. After all the proof of a prayer book is in the praying.

Jengie
[using preview post prevents poor coding]

[ 01. November 2012, 14:24: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

Detailed review of the Customary of Our Lady of Walsingham here.

And further review here.

Thurible

[ 08. November 2012, 09:48: Message edited by: Thurible ]

--------------------

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It sound like they managed to make a sow's ear out of a silk purse. It certainly is not as good as 'The English Office' - though that may be way too old style for the RCC.

My own habit has been to cobble up something a bit more Catholic from what's out there. I have the RC Liturgy of the Hours, so my daily office tends to be MP and EP from 'The English Office' plus Noon Prayer and the Office of Readings from the LOTH.

The other version that I have done is BCP Offices (or English Office version of BCP) plus the Lesser Hours as put out by the Anglican Catholic Convent Society up in Canada, though that can end up with a bit of a cluster of Offices in the morning as I tend to be a late riser if I do not have something on.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Detailed review of the Customary of Our Lady of Walsingham here.

And further review here.

Thurible

http://parishpriestsfd.blogspot.ie/2012/10/review-customary-of-our-lady-of.html?m=1
Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Customary: Daily Office is impossible to use, or at least it takes a huge learning curve to master: (1) a system reading cycle and optional readings and (2) flipping through back and forth between the proper material from the universal and local calendars and then stretching out for stuffs in the Divine Office volumes.

It is a very good anthology but I'm not sure it's such a useful prayer book.

Unless Derek Olsen works that into the St Bede's breviary.

Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

And everything not in one book; therefore useless.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

A little more on the Customary.

Thurible

--------------------

Patrick
Shipmate
# 305

- Posted      Profile for Patrick   Email Patrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might be of interest to note that the Western Use parishes under Orthodox jurisdictions (whether Antiochian or Russian Church outside Russia) employ traditional language and structure in their liturgical texts. The American Antiochian parishes differ in the Daily Office only on whether they employ the original lectionary or the 1945 version given in the 1928 American BCP. The Lancelot Andrewes Press Book of Common Prayer is the best illustration of this traditionalism. The Antichian, as well as ROCOR, Western Rite uses the older Benedictine monastic material, such as the Monastic Diurnal and Matins book. Rocor's Canadian Christminster Monastery, of course, employs Benedictine tects, mostly English, occasionally Latin. The Rocor St. Colman Prayer Book uses the 1662 Prayer Book texts for the Daily Office, the Office lectionary from the time period that witnessed the Proposed BCP, and both BCP and Sarum Use versions of the Eucharistic Liturgy.
The American Catholic Anglican Use materials, as most of you know, are derived from the 1979 BCP. I bought an ebook version of the Anglical Use Office from Lulu. Unlike the customary, the book provides antiphons for the Benedictus and Magnificat, as well as a complete Office for the Departed. The Psalter is American BCP 1928, the texts largely Rite One 1979 BCP, including the Daily Office lectionary. The book provides no texts for the Daily Office hymns. So, at least a Bible would be needed in addition to the Anglican Use volume. I my opinion, the best Anglican Office book, again, available through Lulu, is the Canadian Anglo Catholic Liturgy of the Hours.

Posts: 109 | From: Fordham University, Bronx, N.Y. U.S.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone here seen a copy of or used this Psalter.

I'm a bit concerned about its durability over a period of frequent use, given the fact it is a paperback book not hardback.....

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boadicea Trott:
Has anyone here seen a copy of or used this Psalter.

I had this about twenty years back. Very small book - just a bit broader than an iPhone. The psalms are spread over the 'hours' in a week, using the 1911 scheme of Pius X. Can't vouch for the durability because I didn't use it heavily.
Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, DitzySpike !

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

If anyone is interested a 1967 printing of Fr Hartzell's Prayer Book Office is currently up for bids on eBay. As far as I can see from the scans it is in virtually mint condition and has rather nice red-edged pages.

As far as I can make out the contents of the book are identical with the 1962 printing which I already have.

the Ænglican
Shipmate
# 12496

- Posted      Profile for the Ænglican   Email the Ænglican   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
The Customary: Daily Office is impossible to use, or at least it takes a huge learning curve to master: (1) a system reading cycle and optional readings and (2) flipping through back and forth between the proper material from the universal and local calendars and then stretching out for stuffs in the Divine Office volumes.

It is a very good anthology but I'm not sure it's such a useful prayer book.

Unless Derek Olsen works that into the St Bede's breviary.

Not likely... I asked the US Bishops Office if what permissions would be needed to use the New American Bible on the Breviary (as Anglican Use readers had been asking) and got a terse note saying they'd not talk to me unless the Ordinariate group approved the site. Sent a note to them and never heard back...

So--my sense is they won't give any sort of permissions unless the full bureaucracy agrees and I don't see that happening.

--------------------
The subject of religious ceremonial is one which has a special faculty for stirring strong feeling. --W. H. Frere

Posts: 177 | From: Baltimore-ish | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If anyone is interested a 1967 printing of Fr Hartzell's Prayer Book Office is currently up for bids on eBay. As far as I can see from the scans it is in virtually mint condition and has rather nice red-edged pages.

As far as I can make out the contents of the book are identical with the 1962 printing which I already have.

I want this and bid high only to be outbid almost immediately. I console myself now in these situations by reminding myself I've affiliated with a Benedictine community that has its own breviary I'm supposed to stick with and I should quit playing around. [Frown]
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Four Courts Press in Ireland has reprinted a facsimile of the Aberdeen Breviary (www.fourcourtspress.ie) but sadly without translation. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone was interested.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't suppose this breviary actually has the lections in it? I've asked because I've come to the same conclusion as Sebby that if a particular edition of the office does not come with everything in one book, its usefulness is severely diminished to the point that I'd almost rather not bother with it. So is this that kind of breviary, or would one need a Bible or lectionary to actually use it effectively?

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Jon in the Nati:
I don't suppose this breviary actually has the lections in it? I've asked because I've come to the same conclusion as Sebby that if a particular edition of the office does not come with everything in one book, its usefulness is severely diminished to the point that I'd almost rather not bother with it. So is this that kind of breviary, or would one need a Bible or lectionary to actually use it effectively?

Nope, no lections. The PBO contains the BCP lectionary of the time, but not the texts. You need a Bible with it.
Patrick
Shipmate
# 305

The red edged (Morehouse-Barlow) edition of Fr. Hartzell's Prayer Book Office is a revision of the 1962 book. In that earlier version, Fr. Hartzell provided two schemes for a two week recitation of the Psalter (much superior to the 1945 lectionary, which drastically reduced the daily reading of Psalms). Only one scheme remains in the later version, which supposes the use of variable Psalms for Prime and Compline daily. The 1962 book and its successor are less Sarum based than Fr. Harzell's first edition. For instance, the first edition gave primacy of place regarding feasts to First Evensong, the latter editions assuming Second Evensong as the norm. In the first edition, the Magnificat antiphons for Sunday First Evensong were Sarum texts; in latter editions, Fr. Hartzell borrowed verses from the Epistle for the Sundays after Epiphany and Trinity in place of the Sarum texts. The Anglo Catholic Liturgy of the Hours (Lulu) follows that Epistle borrowing use. The first edition of the PBO had a set of (long) seasonal readings when a Bible was not at hand. Due to the generosity of a Cowley brother, I own a first edition of the Prayer Book Office with the KJV Bible bound with it (Marymount Press). I believe Fr. Harzell's Office book to be superior in its traditionalism to most of what is now available, with the Anglo Catholic LOTH coming in close second, if you prefer the BCP Offices to other alternatives (kudos to the Lancelot Andrewes Press for its monastic offices). The Anglo Catholic LOTH book, unlike Fr. Harzell, gives but a single proper hymn for Matins. I find Brother Galley's (Church Army) find too idiosyncratic for my tastes.
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quick question: do people prefer their daily office books in hardcover or paperback? I'm in the process of self-publishing (will post details here when it's done) and am deciding which to use.
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
Quick question: do people prefer their daily office books in hardcover or paperback? I'm in the process of self-publishing (will post details here when it's done) and am deciding which to use.

In order of personal preference:
Digital
Paperback
Hardback

Why? Two and a half hour commute roundtrip, half an hour of which is walking. Anything to reduce the weight of what I'm hauling around is a blessing.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I noted above, I've been doing a self-publishing project for some time, and it's finally come to (hopefully fruition).

Everyone who has been looking for the Daily Office, according to TEC 1979 Rite II, in one book, with (as a bonus!) the Angelus and Marian Antiphons should check out what I've put together.

It's available as:
- a PDF (very much free)
- a paperback
- a hardcover

The book includes:
- The Calendar of the Church Year
- Rite II Morning Prayer, Noonday Prayer, Evening Prayer, and Compline, and canticles
- Collects
- Prayers and Thanksgivings
- The Great Litany
- The Psalter
- Angelus and Marian Antiphons
- The Readings for Year One and Holy Days, from the New Revised Standard Version

If you're interested, feel very free to comb through the PDF version before buying. Please let me know by PM if you spot any errors that you would like corrected, or via PM or on this thread if you have recommendations for additional material to include.

I'm not at all trained and only self-educated in this area, so please be gentle and constructive with any criticism.

Enjoy!

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bostonman, have you considered adding the special collects from Lesser Feasts and Fasts (or Holy Women, Holy Men) for the weekdays of the high season....Lent, Advent, etc.?

Otherwise, this reminds me quite a bit of the Contemporary Office Book, except with Marian material. Your formatting is much nicer, in my opinion.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had an inkling that, in the Roman rite, whereas the Gloria is ommitted in the Mass on Sundays during both Advent and Lent, in the Office of Readings (aka Matins) on Sundays the Te Deum is ommitted on Sundays in Lent, but on Advent Sundays the Te Deum continues to be used.

I checked on universalis.com and they have the Te Deum for the 1st Sunday of Advent. But since websites can occasionally make mistakes, especially at the beginning of a new season, I wanted to get confirmation from more knowledgeable shipmates that the Te Deum is indeed used on Sundays of Advent.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

quote:
Originally posted by Olaf:
Bostonman, have you considered adding the special collects from Lesser Feasts and Fasts (or Holy Women, Holy Men) for the weekdays of the high season....Lent, Advent, etc.?

Otherwise, this reminds me quite a bit of the Contemporary Office Book, except with Marian material. Your formatting is much nicer, in my opinion.

Great idea on the additional collects, I'll look into those.

The big difference from the Contemporary Office Book is that this is one-volume-per-year, which cuts down on size a bit.

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
I had an inkling that, in the Roman rite, whereas the Gloria is ommitted in the Mass on Sundays during both Advent and Lent, in the Office of Readings (aka Matins) on Sundays the Te Deum is ommitted on Sundays in Lent, but on Advent Sundays the Te Deum continues to be used.

Yes, the Te Deum continues on Sundays (and feasts) through Advent, but is omitted on Lenten Sundays.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's what I thought although it does confuse me slightly - was the traditional custom that the Te Deum and Gloria were always used on the same days?

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
quote:
Originally posted by Olaf:

Great idea on the additional collects, I'll look into those.

The big difference from the Contemporary Office Book is that this is one-volume-per-year, which cuts down on size a bit.

Good work, but what I would rather like is the whole thing in traditional language.

[ 02. December 2012, 13:44: Message edited by: Corvo ]

Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Hart. I see the logic, in that Advent, while it does have its penitential aspects, it also has the aspect of anticipatory joy -- it is not simply a another penitential season to the same degree as Lent.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
Good work, but what I would rather like is the whole thing in traditional language.

Latin, Greek or Hebrew?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

Bostonman, it looks good. You've convinced me that my little pipe dream might be possible to bring to reality.

The Thurible Office Book Ambition
Book of Common Prayer Matins and Evensong
Collects
Additional and Common Collects
RSV Lections (CW lectionary - is there a one year one, or is that as non-mainstream as using a non-CW lectionary? Hmm)
Coverdale Psalter
Seasonal/Festal Antiphons for the Gospel Canticle (from CW or the CSMV book or somewhere else?)
Office Hymns (English Hymnal in the main)

Thurible

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016