homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Daily Office (yet again) (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Daily Office (yet again)
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
Slightly off topic. I use Christian Prayer. It does not have some of the new feasts, such as Juan Diego for 9 December. Are the propers for this feast online anywhere?

New Yorker, I'm really sorry I didn't have enough time to answer this yesterday but but when I get a chance (today or tomorrow)I'll share the propers given in the Latin American edition of the Liturgy of the Hours, under Proper of the Saints for Mexico. Quick outline: the 2nd Reading of the Office of Readings is from a speech given by John Paul II on St. Juan Diego (I think for his canonization), a responsory, and a closing prayer. The rest may be taken from the Common of Holy Men and Women. I'll give the details later.

Maybe it's too late for this year but there's always next. In the meantime you could pray his office as a private devotion, as I might if I miss a favored saint's feast day.

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

- Posted      Profile for cg   Email cg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*Bumping this thread with a query about minutiæ*

My (newly acquired) secondhand Monastic Diurnal (OUP, 1932, 1940 reprint) has verse 116 of Psalm 119 (Monday at Terce) printed entirely in upper case. I can't see anything about that in the rubrics, so it is perhaps a typographical error (rare for the OUP). Or does anyone have an alternative explanation? Maybe those using the Lancelot Andrewes Monastic Diurnal or other OUP reprints would check to see if it is printed like that in their edition.

Not that it matters of course. I'm simply curious.

Posts: 136 | From: Antipodes | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
T.B.Cherubim
Shipmate
# 11582

- Posted      Profile for T.B.Cherubim   Author's homepage   Email T.B.Cherubim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My 1956 reprint of the Monastic Diurnal does not have this peculiarity. Perhaps it was a very unusual OUP mistake?

--------------------
Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

www.eurobishop.blogspot.com

Posts: 101 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do people do about the Breviary's Common of Doctors of the Church when a female doctor is celebrated? The liturgy for Doctors conflates so much with Pastors, and indeed uses heavily masculine language in its own brief section.

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Common of Holy Women.

I know people who use Common of Virgins, but I don't like this.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

- Posted      Profile for cg   Email cg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by T.B.Cherubim:
My 1956 reprint of the Monastic Diurnal does not have this peculiarity. Perhaps it was a very unusual OUP mistake?

Thanks for checking. Mine was printed in wartime, after all.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cg:
quote:
Originally posted by T.B.Cherubim:

Thanks for checking. Mine was printed in wartime, after all.
The Lancelot Andrewes Press reprint has the all-caps verse. An extra-fervent wartime plea, perhaps, as you suggest.
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This isn't Kerygmania with its requirements, but may I ask if this is the verse? Sustain me according to your promise, that I may live. and let me not be disappointed in my hope.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Prosfonesis:
This isn't Kerygmania with its requirements, but may I ask if this is the verse? Sustain me according to your promise, that I may live. and let me not be disappointed in my hope.

That is correct. Just that verse is printed in caps and small caps in some editions of the Oxford/Canon Douglas Monastic Diurnal.
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Be it far from me to accuse the sacred psalmist of being a One-tune Charlie, from Aleph to Taw, and I congratulate him for saying practically the same thing 176 times, but I thought good to get the verse quoted to help figure out why it, alone, over its many brothers and sisters, gets this treatment. Was it someone's motto, perhaps?
chiltern_hundred
Shipmate
# 13659

- Posted      Profile for chiltern_hundred   Author's homepage   Email chiltern_hundred   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe this capitalised psalm verse will feature as a clue in a future Da Vinci Code-style novel or conspiracy book about a Western-Rite Orthodox Plot ...
Posts: 691 | From: Duck City, UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

You could be on the right track, chiltern_hundred. Given the date (1940), it may be like that for the Use of the Enigma Code-cracking team. However, the LA press edition was (I think) produced as a facsimile of the first OUP edition (1932) so it's likely that it dates back to then and is not a wartime slip after all. Does anyone have the 1932 or 1935 edition?

The LA Press Monastic Matins is not without an occasional more ordinary typo: Ps. 68:13 (Wed. p.54) where 'Thou' should be 'Though'.

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cg:
However, the LA press edition was (I think) produced as a facsimile of the first OUP edition (1932) so it's likely that it dates back to then and is not a wartime slip after all.

The LAP edition is a resetting of the 1963 OOP edition. Note the second set of rubrics in the front, which implement the 1960s reforms to the use of the Breviarium.
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ladies and Gentlemen:

The O Antiphons.

Who's doin' 'em?

[ 18. December 2008, 02:05: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
chiltern_hundred
Shipmate
# 13659

- Posted      Profile for chiltern_hundred   Author's homepage   Email chiltern_hundred   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiffy, you mean

http://www.episcopalcafe.com/daily/church_year/sapientiatide_the_great_o_anti.php

(web address corrected, but I don't do UBB code yet)

Posts: 691 | From: Duck City, UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes! (But then they are in the breviary I use anyway.)

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

quote:
Originally posted by Brian M:
The LAP edition is a resetting of the 1963 OOP edition. Note the second set of rubrics in the front, which implement the 1960s reforms to the use of the Breviarium.[/QB]

I don't have a copy of the LAP edition so I was guessing. But that just makes T.B.Cherubim's 1956 reprint where the mistake has been corrected (i.e. putting the verse in question into lower case) all the more odd. Why would anyone have restored an evident error? Perhaps the LAP resetting in fact used the text of an earlier OUP reprint than that of 1963 and the second set of rubrics was all that came from the 1963 reprint.
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What? Everyone is still using printed materials for the Daily Office? Why not iBreviary?
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chiltern_hundred:
Spiffy, you mean

[url=http://www.episcopalcafe.com/daily/church_year/sapientiatide_the_great_o_anti.php ]link[/url]

Erm, yes. [Hot and Hormonal] You will all be pleased to know that my bifocals will be ready on St. Stephen's Day, so that the characters on the screen will actually resemble letters instead of pretty grey blobs.

quote:
What? Everyone is still using printed materials for the Daily Office? Why not iBreviary?

You buy me the iPhone, and I'll use the iBreviary.

[Edit: to fix scroll lock.]

[ 21. April 2009, 17:26: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My S. Barnabas Society and Pius XII holy cards won't stay in it.

--------------------
Catholic books

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Spiffy, you mean

http://www.episcopalcafe.com/daily/church_year/sapientiatide_the_great_o_anti.php

[pedantic tangent] The writer of the article is incorrect in saying that the O Antiphons are not included in any official Anglican liturgy. ( Maybe he meant 'in the USA' ). Common Worship: Daily Prayer of the C OF E prints them, beginning with O Sapientia on 17 December in line with modern RC practice. [/pedantic tangent]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

quote:

Cuz, it's not a book.

Next question?

cg
Shipmate
# 14332

quote:

I was using online resouces (not iBreviary) before my printed Monastic Diurnal and Monastic Matins arrived, but I didn't feel that I was truly praying the Office. Using the books allows me to bow, stand or kneel as appropriate, pause for reflection, and so forth, and generally feel that I making the prayer my own. It also allows me to have more electronic-free time in my day.
Ignatius' Acolyte
Shipmate
# 12426

- Posted      Profile for Ignatius' Acolyte   Author's homepage   Email Ignatius' Acolyte   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome aboard, cg!

Ps 119:116, "Sustain me O God," cited earlier, is the key verse in the Benedictine monastic profession rite. It is thrice chanted responsively by the professing monk and the choir, each time in a higher pitch.

I suppose that whoever printed the book may also have had that in mind...

--------------------
Be a blessing.

Posts: 427 | From: Quezon City, the Philippines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

Ah, thank you so much, Paul of A. That's a wonderfully satisfying explanation, and I'm sure it's the correct one.
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
I'll share the propers given in the Latin American edition of the Liturgy of the Hours

Sorry I couldn't get back to this sooner but I supppose it's better late than never. Here are my somewhat awkward translations of the propers for St. Juan Diego from the Latin American LOTH:

In the Office of Readings, the second respnsory is based on 1 Corinthians 1:27-29 and St. Luke 1:51-52.

R. God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong, even that which is worth nothing, * so that no one can boast before God.

V. He made felt the strength of His arm and exalted the humble.

R. So that no one can boast before God.

The second reading is from the decree of canonization. I couldn't find the text online. I could translate it too, but am not sure if it would be ok to post it.

The final prayer for his feast goes like this:

"O God of ours, who by means of the blessed Juan Diego showed your people the love of the most holy Virgin Mary, grant us by his intercession, that by obeying the counsels of our Mother of Guadalupe, we may always accomplish your will. Through Our Lord Jesus Christ your son."

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
scribbler
Shipmate
# 12268

- Posted      Profile for scribbler   Email scribbler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got ibreviary today for my new iPhone. Very wonderful for the price. Sure, it is not a substitute for the romance and resonance of a book, but the app was ideal for praying vespers while waiting for "Frost/Nixon" to start. Where were the dead trees then?
Posts: 309 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scribbler:
I just got ibreviary today for my new iPhone. Very wonderful for the price. Sure, it is not a substitute for the romance and resonance of a book, but the app was ideal for praying vespers while waiting for "Frost/Nixon" to start. Where were the dead trees then?

Is it available in English? If so, from whom?
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by scribbler:

Is it available in English? If so, from whom?
From iTunes, I'm told.
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cg:
Using the books allows me to bow, stand or kneel as appropriate, pause for reflection, and so forth, and generally feel that I making the prayer my own.

Having recently been reunited with the majority of my library, I'm back to prayerbooks but, when praying the office at my computer, I manage to do all the above. It's a lot harder to feel inclined so to do but managable.

Thurible

[ 29. December 2008, 22:37: Message edited by: Thurible ]

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

the Ænglican
Shipmate
# 12496

- Posted      Profile for the Ænglican   Email the Ænglican   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
[pedantic tangent] The writer of the article is incorrect in saying that the O Antiphons are not included in any official Anglican liturgy. ( Maybe he meant 'in the USA' ). Common Worship: Daily Prayer of the C OF E prints them, beginning with O Sapientia on 17 December in line with modern RC practice. [/pedantic tangent]

Hmm--didn't know that. In which case I would have said something like "hasn't appeared in any official Anglican liturgy until the current English Common Worship" or some such. The point is that the date occurs in the kalendar, but the antiphons are absent from the books--until now.

Correction duly noted...

[Edit: code]

[ 31. December 2008, 10:08: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
The subject of religious ceremonial is one which has a special faculty for stirring strong feeling. --W. H. Frere

Posts: 177 | From: Baltimore-ish | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The O Antiphons are in Celebrating Common Prayer too. It was pretty much official use in Salisbury in the 90s.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
the Ænglican
Shipmate
# 12496

- Posted      Profile for the Ænglican   Email the Ænglican   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well--that just goes to show that I need to read up on the English materials post 1928... [Razz]

Thanks for the further correction!

--------------------
The subject of religious ceremonial is one which has a special faculty for stirring strong feeling. --W. H. Frere

Mockingbird

Mimus polyglottos navis
# 5818

- Posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Author's homepage   Email Mockingbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Spiffy, you mean

The writer of the article is incorrect in saying that the O Antiphons are not included in any official Anglican liturgy. ( Maybe he meant 'in the USA' ). Common Worship: Daily Prayer of the C OF E prints them, beginning with O Sapientia on 17 December in line with modern RC practice.
He also errs when he says "If the missing optional antiphon is used, it should be used on the 23rd and the others moved back one day".

He means that the others should be moved forward one day. When something happens sooner than otherwise, it is moved forward.

--------------------
Forþon we sealon efestan þas Easterlican þing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, þaet we magon cuman to þam Easterlican daege, þe aa byð, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.

Posts: 1443 | From: Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

At least those of us who pray the Office can celebrate Epiphany on the right day, even if none of our local churches do. But can anyone explain to me a quirk of the Epiphany monastic Office that has been puzzling me. Both the Matins and Vespers hymn Hostis Herodes impie, and the antiphons for the Benedictus and the Magnificat in the Lauds and II Vespers respectively of the Epiphany (in the Monastic Diurnal) seem to be celebrating the Epiphany in combination with the Baptism of Jesus and with the miracle at Cana. Was there once a tradition that that all three feasts were jointly celebrated?
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cg:
At least those of us who pray the Office can celebrate Epiphany on the right day, even if none of our local churches do. But can anyone explain to me a quirk of the Epiphany monastic Office that has been puzzling me. Both the Matins and Vespers hymn Hostis Herodes impie, and the antiphons for the Benedictus and the Magnificat in the Lauds and II Vespers respectively of the Epiphany (in the Monastic Diurnal) seem to be celebrating the Epiphany in combination with the Baptism of Jesus and with the miracle at Cana. Was there once a tradition that that all three feasts were jointly celebrated?

More accurately - the Epiphany consists of three thematically linked aspects. The Adoration of the Magi, the Baptism of Christ and the Miracle at Cana. In these three ways, Christ was revealed as Messiah before all the Nations, in preparation for His earthly ministry.

Because of its proximity to Christmas, the arrival of the Magi at the Christ-Child is the part which has been most emphasised in the Western Church for some centuries now. The Baptism has been moved onto a Feast of its own whilst the first Miracle forms the Gospel reading of the Sunday following. However, historically all three were part of the same Feast and there are still many refernces to this lurking around, especially in older works.

Does this help?
[Smile]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
historically all three were part of the same Feast and there are still many refernces to this lurking around, especially in older works.

Does this help?
[Smile]

Yes, indeed it does. Thank you for enlarging my understanding, and confirming my guess by putting my query into its full context.
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The CofE Common Worship lectionary prescribes Isaiah 60 ("Arise, shine for your light has come") & John 2 (water into wine) for the Evening Prayer service for Epiphany - we used them on Sunday.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
the Ænglican
Shipmate
# 12496

The medieval Golden Legend also states that in addition to the preceding three it was the day on which Christ fed the five thousand, citing Bede. (I'm wary of this--it's not in his Epiphany sermons that I know of but I haven't checked his commentaries...)

The antiphon on the Mag for 2nd Vespers makes the first three explicit.

--------------------

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by the Ænglican:
The medieval Golden Legend also states that in addition to the preceding three it was the day on which Christ fed the five thousand, citing Bede. (I'm wary of this--it's not in his Epiphany sermons that I know of but I haven't checked his commentaries...)

Interesting; this link was mentioned during the homily at the Mass I attended yesterday.

--------------------
Catholic books

the Ænglican
Shipmate
# 12496

Fascinating! The Golden Legend is the earliest source I can find for this tradition. As I said it's not in Bede AFAIK, nor is it mentioned by Rabanus Maurus nor tenth century English sources.

Anybody know differently?

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matins from Saint Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter (Lancelot Andrewes Press, 2002), page 145:

First psquiggle: Venite... there are a zillion settings, for this and other canticles. How do you choose which setting to use? Also, do you choose the same Tone or Mode for all the canticles (mentioned in later psquiigles), or do you mix and match?

Second psquiggle: What is an Office Hymn? Is it included in this book? If not, where do you find it? How do you choose it?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
What is an Office Hymn? Is it included in this book? If not, where do you find it? How do you choose it?

This is a hymn proper to the day, season, or feast, which was sung before the gospel canticle in the breviary offices and is often added to BCP offices by Anglo-Catholics. Your best bet may be to pick up a copy of the ENGLISH HYMNAL (NOT the NEW ENGLISH HYMNAL) and follow Fr. Dearmer's handy tables in the back for appropriate hymns at "M" and "E."
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Anglican Breviary has an even better selection than the EH--ALL of them. TECs 1940 has at least 8 office hymns, in very good translation too.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Matins from Saint Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter (Lancelot Andrewes Press, 2002), page 145:

That should be page 247.

Thank you, Brian M and Mama Thomas, about the office hymns. My bedside table currently has BCP 1979, Bible RSV, St. Dunstans', and Hymnal 1982. Looks like there's room for Anglican Breviary (oh, that seductive word all) and Hymnal 1940 (the hymnal I grew up with).

--------------------
Truth

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Lord, for J.M. Neale. Amen. He did wonders to bring the glories of early Latin (and Eastern!) Christian spirituality to the English speaking world. But I don't want to sound 'bad' but the 1982 seems to waffle between the droning monotony of its heavy organ/choir pieces and unsingable service music and cutesy 70s ditties.

There is real meat in the office hymns. Not at all sure why they were eliminated in the 82 as such (though a few are there without being marked as such).

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Ah, turns out St. Dunstan's gives more info in §17, "The Office Hymn," pages 237-238. In addition to the English Hymnal and 1940 Hymnal, it cites Saint Ambrose Hymnal and Hymns Ancient And Modern as sources for most or some of them. However it misses Mama Thomas' wonderful citation of Anglican Breviary for all of them.

Another question:

Saint Dunstan's says: "As with all Gospel canticles, the intonation to the tone is sung throughout the canticle, at the beginning of each verse." (e.g. § 14, page 236; § 19, page 238.) Why?

--------------------
Truth

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Saint Dunstan's says: "As with all Gospel canticles, the intonation to the tone is sung throughout the canticle, at the beginning of each verse." (e.g. § 14, page 236; § 19, page 238.) Why?

Good question! It says here that it's "for the sake of solemnity."

And that makes sense, to me: the Gospel Canticles are important, and sort of the centerpiece of each Office - so they get more emphasis, and this is a good way to do it.

I do wonder how old this custom is, though....

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

quote:
St. Dunstan's gives more info in §17, "The Office Hymn," pages 237-238. In addition to the English Hymnal and 1940 Hymnal, it cites Saint Ambrose Hymnal and Hymns Ancient And Modern as sources for most or some of them. However it misses Mama Thomas' wonderful citation of Anglican Breviary for all of them.

Nice as that is, its usefulness may depend on whether you plan to observe the full Universal Kalendar in the AB, or the more simplified kalendar found in most classic BCPs. I found that when I wanted to keep up with, say, the actual 1979 US BCP kalendar, it was easier to consult Fr. Dearmer's tables in the back of the English Hymnal and nail the hymn in one than to ask myself, "should I use the Matins or Lauds hymn, should I observe this lesser feast, on this day, etc."
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Ah, that is excellently helpful, Brian M. English Hymnal sounds like the right thing for me.

[ETA: I wonder what the Saint Ambrose Hymnal is. Have I avoided Breviary Collectionitis only to find myself seduced by the siren song of Hymnal Collectionitis?!?]

[ 22. April 2009, 14:58: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016