homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Daily Office (yet again) (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Daily Office (yet again)
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
Good work, but what I would rather like is the whole thing in traditional language.

Latin, Greek or Hebrew?
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Bostonman, it looks good. You've convinced me that my little pipe dream might be possible to bring to reality.

The Thurible Office Book Ambition
Book of Common Prayer Matins and Evensong
Collects
Additional and Common Collects
RSV Lections (CW lectionary - is there a one year one, or is that as non-mainstream as using a non-CW lectionary? Hmm)
Coverdale Psalter
Seasonal/Festal Antiphons for the Gospel Canticle (from CW or the CSMV book or somewhere else?)
Office Hymns (English Hymnal in the main)

Thurible

I'd be happy with the American Daily Office readings. The original RSV version was in two yearly volumes and had traditional language offices and collects but not the Coverdale Psalter.
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Bostonman, it looks good. You've convinced me that my little pipe dream might be possible to bring to reality.

The Thurible Office Book Ambition
Book of Common Prayer Matins and Evensong
Collects
Additional and Common Collects
RSV Lections (CW lectionary - is there a one year one, or is that as non-mainstream as using a non-CW lectionary? Hmm)
Coverdale Psalter
Seasonal/Festal Antiphons for the Gospel Canticle (from CW or the CSMV book or somewhere else?)
Office Hymns (English Hymnal in the main)

Thurible

If you'd like any help or advice or any of the files I used to cobble this all together, I'd be very happy to help via PM!
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A copy of the 1963 edition of Fr Hartzell's Prayer Book Office is currently up for bids on eBay, but the current going price is £96!!!!!
Posts: 235 | From: Nowhere in Particular | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this post may be a little frustrating, but I'm searching for a breviary, and I know I could trawl through this thread, but that might take a while. I currently use the SSF Divine Office and/or the RC Lauds and Vespers book (I actually like the simplicity of it), but I'm hoping for something that has readings included, plus psalms, in english (modern), hardbacked and in the Anglo Catholic tradition. It would help if it is seasonally set and doesn't require twenty ribbons and fifty bookmarks to use properly. I know I'm probably asking what has possibly already been asked on this thread a hundred times; but I'd be grateful if you'd indulge me.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The RC Divine Office is probably your best bet. Sadly, the CofE seems determined not to publish an office book that actually contains all the readings (the downside of a three year lectionary, no doubt!).

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Turible. That is I think my only option.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While the current Catholic LotH will probably be a much more complete office, you might also consider these:

Episcopal Contemporary Office Book: One volume, Rite II, readings from NRSV

Episcopal Daily Office Book: Two volumes, Rite I/II, readings from RSV

The pastor where I did my curacy used the two-volume set and liked it very much. As I recall, they are handsome books, and quite small. Just a thought.

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shelled out the $140 for the Contemporary Office Book a while back, and I liked it and frequently used it...

Until I got a tablet computer (okay, it's really an e-reader with 3G access and a decent web browser) and could access St. Bede's Breviary on the go.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tonight's Compline will be the last Office streamed by the Community of St Mary the Virgin, Wantage.
Having prayed with them for 3 years plus I am feeling bereft at this loss . Not to mention daunted by the prospect of a search for a new Daily Office.

Naturally they will continue to be in my (our) prayers as they make their changes.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon in the Nati:
While the current Catholic LotH will probably be a much more complete office, you might also consider these:

Episcopal Contemporary Office Book: One volume, Rite II, readings from NRSV

Episcopal Daily Office Book: Two volumes, Rite I/II, readings from RSV

The pastor where I did my curacy used the two-volume set and liked it very much. As I recall, they are handsome books, and quite small. Just a thought.

I use the two volume set. It's great. You can tuck it in a large-ish coat pocket or a purse and take it with you, and the readings are right there for you. Minimal page=flipping. This is a daily office that I can follow. Plus, they are very handsome. I have tried others (St. Helena breviary; Benedictine Daily Prayer breviary) and they were just too complex for me.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hilda of Whitby:
I use the two volume set. It's great. You can tuck it in a large-ish coat pocket or a purse and take it with you, and the readings are right there for you. Minimal page=flipping. This is a daily office that I can follow. Plus, they are very handsome. I have tried others (St. Helena breviary; Benedictine Daily Prayer breviary) and they were just too complex for me.

I have the two-volume set and agree, although one advantage of the one-volume Contemporary Office Book is that you can borrow a lesson from the other year, as I must in the scheme I'm currently following (first lesson at Matins requires the OT lesson from Year 2). So I'm using my BCP/NRSV combo, which works fine for that and has enough ribbons.
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So I'm using my BCP/NRSV combo, which works fine for that and has enough ribbons.
A.K.A. "the Brick," A.K.A. "The Doorstop."

--------------------

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use the brick often as well, especially when traveling, though sometimes in the Bible section a magnifying glass helps.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

quote:
I use the brick often as well, especially when traveling [...]
Mostly I just use the Brick to prop up the corner of our church that is sinking into the marshland it was built on.

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Good work, but what I would rather like is the whole thing in traditional language.

Latin, Greek or Hebrew?
Preferably Latin, although on inspection this does appear to be a very good publication with the VITAL feature of any Office Book, without which (to me) a similar publication would be invalidated ITS ALL IN ONE BOOK! No separate bible required.

A traditional language version might be had easily simply by using the very slight mental weight-lifting of translating as one goes along. The CofE's CW doubted the ability of people to do this, and printed both contemporary and traditional versions of the collects. Given the two weeks now required on ordination 'courses' these days, this was a wise and knowing move on the part of the liturgical commission.

A little more mental exertion, and a translation into the language of heaven might be accomplished - although it is easier to provide an instant translation from Latin to English. Recently a friend did just that. Required to offer intercessions, he took his breviary to the lectern and read them. Only later I discovered that his very slight hesitation before each petition was because he was translating from the Latin.

An edition of the BCP 1979 was published about five years ago in Latin.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
The CofE's CW doubted the ability of people to do this, and printed both contemporary and traditional versions of the collects. Given the two weeks now required on ordination 'courses' these days, this was a wise and knowing move on the part of the liturgical commission.

EXcept that there clearly isn't enough time in the two weeks to teach ordinands how to use bookmarks, so that you tend to get the 'wrong' version in any case. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do wish the C of E wouldn't say "traditional language" when it means "artificially archaic".

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Tradtional language' is probably a misnomer certainly.

However, to an extent the AV translation of the bible in 1601, was 'artificially archaic' as well. And meant to be.

--------------------
sebhyatt

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

oops begun 1604 completed 1611

--------------------
sebhyatt

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no problem at all with thees and thous in texts were written when that was standard usage. I have doubts about this stockbroker half timbering the C of E has come up with, dotting thees and thous about, but in most cases failing to use the grammar and usage of the previous period.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

I do like that stockbroker Surrey image. Even 'switch on the logs in the grate'.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I have doubts about this stockbroker half timbering the C of E has come up with,

Otherwise known as Tesco Tudor. It freaks me out, architecturally and liturgically.

--------------------

Brother Oscar
Apprentice
# 17227

- Posted      Profile for Brother Oscar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may have come up before but I can't find it in the previous Daily Office threads and the General Instruction of the LOTH.

I'm interested in how to recite the responsorary when praying the LOTH. As most readers of this thread will know, when recited in common the responsorary from Night Prayer is:

V: Into your hands I commend my spirit.
R: Into your hands I commend my spirit.
V: For you have redeemed us Lord God of truth.
V: Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

I like the responsoraries but find them overly repetitive in recitation on my own. Whilst not referring to private recitation the General Instruction allows this:

quote:
171.The customary reprise of the whole responsory may be omitted when the office is not being sung, unless the sense requires this repetition.
What does this mean? Does it mean that the responsorary would then be:

V: Into your hands I commend my spirit. For you have redeemed us Lord God of truth.
R: Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and shall be forever world without end.

Often I simply recite the first two lines:

Into your hands I commend my spirit. For you have redeemed us Lord God of truth.

What do you think?

What do you do?

Posts: 23 | From: Loidis | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Oscar:
This may have come up before but I can't find it in the previous Daily Office threads and the General Instruction of the LOTH.

I'm interested in how to recite the responsorary when praying the LOTH. As most readers of this thread will know, when recited in common the responsorary from Night Prayer is:

V: For you have redeemed us Lord God of truth.
V: Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

I like the responsoraries but find them overly repetitive in recitation on my own. Whilst not referring to private recitation the General Instruction allows this:

quote:
171.The customary reprise of the whole responsory may be omitted when the office is not being sung, unless the sense requires this repetition.
What does this mean? Does it mean that the responsorary would then be:

V: Into your hands I commend my spirit. For you have redeemed us Lord God of truth.
R: Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and shall be forever world without end.

Often I simply recite the first two lines:

Into your hands I commend my spirit. For you have redeemed us Lord God of truth.

What do you think?

What do you do?

I say:

V: Into your hands I commend my spirit. For you have redeemed me Lord God of truth.
R: Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. Into your hands I commend my spirit

Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm interested in how to recite the responsorary when praying the LOTH.

In another breviary I have (which isn't the LOTH, so this isn't official for those committed to the LOTH), the alternative form suggested for responsories is to turn it into a simple versicle and response as in one of your examples. The (first half of the) Gloria Patri is omitted. So:

R: For you have redeemed us, Lord God of truth.

...and move on to the next item. Works the same with other responsories.

The responsory is generally a juxtaposition of two phrases, sometimes very interestingly from two very different sources in a way that plays them off each other. This is often done in the responsories in the Office of Readings, where there might be a phrase from Scripture and a phrase from a Church Father or a text like the Te Deum. But any responsory should be reducible to the V/R form by dropping the Gloria Patri bit and any repetitions.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

A highly sought-after item is being offered at half price on ebay, not by me nor anyone I know. It's on a Buy-It-Now basis, so here's your chance:

The Prayer Book Office (1980, Howard Galley)

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

Do ny shipmates know how to download an App for an Android mobile of the CW Daily Office contmeporary and BCP form? Is this possible?

--------------------
sebhyatt

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

The App for iPhone is called 'My C of E' and it has links to various things including the daily office in both CW and BCP forms. I presume there is a parallel version available for Android but I'm not sure.

--------------------

*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's an android app called 'Pocket Common Worship', but it only works with a data connection and essentially just shows the web versions of the services.

I think the iOS app is an official CofE one that actually includes the data locally.

Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With Pocket Common Worship and Prayer, you can download the day's offices when you have wifi and save them. That way, whilst you can manage to use them with just a smidgen of 3G or whatever.

Thurible

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

The Smart Phone has finally allowed, at long bloody last, Offices to be ALL IN ONE BOOK (as it were), without the ridiculous fiddle of a prayer book, lectionary and bible.

With the exception of the LOTH; the 1928 Prayer Book and 1922 Readings combined; The American compilations such as the Daily Office Book and other slightly inadequate abridgements, it has been almost impossible to find this.

It was utterly beyond the understanding of the CofE litugical commission to realise that probably most people who consistently say the Daily Office do so solitary, and probably whilst travelling.

I once mentioned the inconvenience of Celebrating Common Prayer needing a separate bible, and was looked at by a certain Franciscan on the Liturgical Commission with to quote Orwell, 'dull, uncomprehending cow-like eyes'.

--------------------
sebhyatt

*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may possibly have mis-represented the capabilities of the iPhone app.

Anyway, I have an even better option for Android.

Install an app called 'Offline Browser Pro'. It costs £2.50, but you need the pro version for the scheduled download feature.

Create entries for morning prayer and evening prayer.
The morning prayer url to use is http://daily.commonworship.com/daily.cgi?today_mp=1
Evening prayer is http://daily.commonworship.com/daily.cgi?today_ep=1

Then set up scheduled downloads for some time before you're likely to wake up. I've turned off 'Download only if WiFi is available'.

Now you have a pre-downloaded copy of both morning and evening prayer waiting for you when you wake up.

What the CofE really ought to do is to make the data available in an easily machine-mashable format and let people play about with it. Then people could write websites, apps or whatever with whatever features they want. But they seem too paranoid about losing book sales to allow people to pray in convenient ways.

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

There is an excelllent download from Canada of the daily BCP order with the 1922 lessons and the days psalms aportioned as in the Prayer Book. It is also nicely presented.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

Do you have a link, pl?

Thurible

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
Tonight's Compline will be the last Office streamed by the Community of St Mary the Virgin, Wantage.
Having prayed with them for 3 years plus I am feeling bereft at this loss . Not to mention daunted by the prospect of a search for a new Daily Office.

Naturally they will continue to be in my (our) prayers as they make their changes.

You may be interested in this.

Thurible

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh how kind of you, Thurible.

Actually, I am in touch with the Sisters of the Blessed Virgin Mary who, having been received into Rome (the Ordinariate) on New Year's Day, are now at Ryde on the Isle of Wight with the Benedictine Sisters there. They are setting themselves up liturgy-wise and doing all the other legal stuff for the new Order as well as looking for a new home. They will be returning to Wantage in a few weeks as a temporary measure.

Wish I was a multi-millionaire...I would set them up with everything. In the meantime I pray for them and for the Sisters left behind at the Community of S. Mary the Virgin.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In reply to Leon, I use the Common Worship Daily Prayer site a lot. As well as my laptop I can get it on my Kindle Fire HD and my ipod (2nd generation touch). As far as I know I didn't need any special apps to get them.

I've also downloaded the pdf versions but prefer the online versions as it is less hassle than the pdf versions.

Here is the main page to access the online and pdf versions

And here
is the page to choose the service you want in either contemporary or traditional service.

I also have the three services linked on my blog and church website so each day the links update to show the services of the day.

I have just noticed there is now a kindle version on the first link. I haven't used that. I think I will experiment with that.

Forgive me if I have misunderstood what you were saying and this post is nonsense. I get easily confused with techie language.

There is something I have forgotten [Confused]

Oh yes, I am supposed to pray them. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tangent]

I clicked on the links above and loved the moment when my tags read: waiting for Church of England

I'm sure there's a message there somewhere.

[/Tangent]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just had a look at the Kindle versions of CW Daily Prayer and they seem very expensive. I can't think of any use I would have for them that can't met by the various free versions.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Zappa [Killing me]

--------------------

*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
In reply to Leon, I use the Common Worship Daily Prayer site a lot. As well as my laptop I can get it on my Kindle Fire HD and my ipod (2nd generation touch). As far as I know I didn't need any special apps to get them.

Forgive me if I have misunderstood what you were saying and this post is nonsense. I get easily confused with techie language.

At the risk of continuing a tangent, yes you had misunderstood my (possibly rather obscure) point.

In my opinion, that web site isn't nearly good enough. My main evidence for this is the very small percentage of CofE churchgoers who use CW:DP.

Obvious things that I think should be available are:
The ability to set things up to chose from all the available options, and get a page that contains everything you want in your daily prayer, in the right order, with nothing else there.
An offline app for people who want to use it in a disorganized fashion without access to the internet.

However my real complaint is that the CofE has made it very difficult and illegal for an outsider to fix this by providing better sites/apps.

Episcoterian
Shipmate
# 13185

- Posted      Profile for Episcoterian   Author's homepage   Email Episcoterian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if this question should be posted here or in the Random Questions thread...

In MP, how do I know (or where do I look up) which canticles are appointed for the day? There doesn't seem to be anything obvious in the Kalendar, nor in the Lectionary.

--------------------
"We cannot let individualism make corporate worship impossible!" (iMonk)

I'm on Facebook too!

Posts: 286 | From: Franca, SP, Brazil | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Episcoterian:
I don't know if this question should be posted here or in the Random Questions thread...

In MP, how do I know (or where do I look up) which canticles are appointed for the day? There doesn't seem to be anything obvious in the Kalendar, nor in the Lectionary.

A great deal depends on the source of the service you're using.

If you're using the CofE 1662 order, or most of those derived from it in (eg,) Canada, the US, Australia, then the canticles are basically set with one alternative for each...and there's no rule as to which, when.

If you were to be using (which I'm sure you're not) the Canadian BAS, you'd turn to the section of the book that provides the text of the canticles and use the lists provided...lists of recommendations, not requirements.

So we need to know which Order of MP you're using, to discover whether or not there are recommendations about canticles.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Episcoterian
Shipmate
# 13185

- Posted      Profile for Episcoterian   Author's homepage   Email Episcoterian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, John.

My usual starting point is the 1928 American BCP, which alludes to other Canticles being sometimes appointed (where?) in lieu of the Venite.

In the 1988 Brazilian BCP, it's up to the Officiant to choose between Venite, Jubilate or (during Eastertide) the Pascha Nostrum for the Invitatory. After the Lessons, any Canticle (or none at all) will do. There's a single Liturgy for the Daily Office, so it applies even to EP.

I'm also looking at the 1917 Lutheran CSB Matins, but it's most useful for the choral settings. It always has the Venite for the Invitatory, and either Te Deum or Benedictus after the Lessons, officiant's discretion.

The St. Bede's Breviary mentions a fixed table somewhere, which I just found in the 1979 BCP. That might settle it, but it'd be nice to know how this is handled in other jurisdictions!

--------------------
"We cannot let individualism make corporate worship impossible!" (iMonk)

I'm on Facebook too!

Posts: 286 | From: Franca, SP, Brazil | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
The St. Bede's Breviary mentions a fixed table somewhere, which I just found in the 1979 BCP. That might settle it, but it'd be nice to know how this is handled in other jurisdictions!

Our parish uses the BCP 1979 table on p. 144, only sort of.

For the first canticle at Morning Prayer, we use the first canticle recommended in the table. For the second canticle, it's always #16, Benedictus.

The two canticles at Evening Prayer are always Magnificat and Nunc dimittis.

EXCEPTIONS: On Sundays and holy days, the morning canticles are #16 and #21 (Te Deum) in that order. I believe that in Lent and Advent we use the suggested first canticle (#14 and #11 respectively) and then #16 Benedictus.

So we never use #18, 19, or 20 in the office.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I have used the tables before, but whenever there are options, I find it easier to simply alternate one after the other after the other. Or not. That's the fun!

Some books appoint different canticles per day. If I recall correctly, the New Zealand Prayer Book is like this.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:

If you're using the CofE 1662 order, or most of those derived from it in (eg,) Canada, the US, Australia, then the canticles are basically set with one alternative for each...and there's no rule as to which, when.

Not quite true; the rubrics of the 1662 prescribe the Benedictus as the second canticle, excepting when it comes up in the NT lesson (or on the feast of St John Baptist's nativity).

My suspicion is that the Psalm canticles were supplied so that the Puritans could sing Psalms only, as they were wont to do. I'm not really sure what I base that on, though.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone is interested a small pocket-sized edition of the 1961 Diurnale Romanum is available from the online shop of the Abbey of Le Barroux.

I have just received mine this morning. It is basically printed to the same format as the larger edition with which many people are familiar, but is small enough to fit in your jacket pocket and has what appears to be an imitation leather cover. It is roughly the same size as the Farnborough Abbey Monastic Diurnale

Posts: 235 | From: Nowhere in Particular | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question for C of E daily office knowing people.

If you just say one office per day what readings are you meant to use from the lectionary. There is such a choice!

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

Would you not use the lections for the office which you are praying? If praying morning prayer, would you not use the morning prayer lections?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016