homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Daily Office (yet again) (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Daily Office (yet again)
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had forgotten that Lauds and Vespers published by Newman House Press also has the variable Sunday antiphons; I also have a copy of that book.

Neither the US or UK editions of the Divine Office/Liturgy of the Hours has these antiphons, as they are based on the first edition of the Latin book which did not have them. I will have to check again, but I think that the current edition of the French Liturgie des Heures does have them.

The Solesmes Lectionnaire Monastique sounds interesting; it would probably also be available from the monastery's own website. I must check it shortly.

I wonder when or if a new English edition of the LOH will be published incorporating the recent changes?

Posts: 235 | From: Nowhere in Particular | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

- Posted      Profile for cg   Email cg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Antiphon, I have a set of the Lectionnaire Monastique (in Latin and French) that I'd be prepared to give away to you if you were willing to pay the cost of posting them from Australia. That's still a big ask as even by seamail the postage is likely to be around £40, or £85 for airmail. But send me a PM if you are interested and I'll get a precise quote and see if I can find a cheaper option (DHL perhaps).

Here's the description I posted elsewhere:

These are handsome dark-green hardback volumes, with gold lettering on front cover and spine, published by Solesmes. They have patristic as well as scriptural readings for a two-year cycle, in Latin and parallel French, with response and versicle after each reading, also in both languages. This is the complete set as vol. 7 containing the Office of the Dead is no longer in print.
Two of the volumes are still shrink-wrapped, and the rest little used.

Posts: 136 | From: Antipodes | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi cg

I've just sent you a private message concerning your very kind offer.

regards

ANTIPHON

cg
Shipmate
# 14332

- Posted      Profile for cg   Email cg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ember Days coming up this week. What does/do the book(s) you use for the Office offer for these days? Rather to my surprise, among mine all I've found are special readings and collects for each of the three days at Matins in the Monastic Breviary Matins (Lancelot Andrewes Press). These link with the Gospels and collects in the lengthy Propers in the English Missal, which have extended readings from the prophetic books, especially on Ember Saturday, where I also find a 'hymn' that begins 'Blessed art thou, O Lord God of our fathers' (does anyone know where that comes from?).
achew
Apprentice
# 9924

- Posted      Profile for achew   Email achew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone help out with the CCP ordo for 2009? There used to be one done by Stephen Carter but none for 09 and we are now coming to the time when we have to use the Week A, B C etc and thats when the ordo comes in useful as a guide. Any help?
Posts: 5 | From: Singapore | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the site they are using the CofE CW lectionary and there is a downloadable version here If that doesn't work, I've got a copy saved that I can send you, so pm me.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cg:
. . . I also find a 'hymn' that begins 'Blessed art thou, O Lord God of our fathers' (does anyone know where that comes from?).

I believe that is the canticle Benedictus es, Domine, also known as the "Song of the Three Young Men" and is said to be based on the "fiery furnace" passage in Daniel 3. This canticle is also used in Morning Prayer in the U.S. BCP (page 49).

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, folks, it's that time of the year again. Week 24 of the Roman Divine Office. The beginning of reading through St Augustine's sermon on the Shepherds.

For those unacquainted with this pearl of devotional literature, Augustine decided it would be a good idea to spend a very long sermon calling the clergy all the worthless, miserable scoundrels he could lay his tongue to. And then some. And in the Office of Readings, we spend the whole of the next two weeks reading through it. (It's a very long sermon.) Not content with his dismal subject matter, Augustine decides on a policy of "if it's worth saying once, it's worth saying ten times." Good move, Aggie. [Disappointed]

The bottom line is, it's a fortnight to avoid the Office of Readings. So, in a spirit of ecumenical helpfulness here are some saints' days from the Roman and CofE calendars that you can celebrate in preference to ploughing through Augustine's bons mots.

Today - Holy Cross Day
15 Sept. - Our Lady of Sorrows; St Cyprian (CofE)
16 Sept. - Ss. Cornelius & Cyprian (Roman); St Ninian; Edward Bouverie Pusey
17 Sept. - St Robert Bellarmine; St Hildegard
18 Sept. - None, I'm afraid, and Augustine's just getting into his stride.
19 Sept. - St Januarius; St Theodore
20 Sept. - Sunday. Not much we can do about that.
21 Sept. - St Matthew
22 Sept. - None
23 Sept. - An Ember Day in the CofE. Hurrah for ordinands!
24 Sept. - None. Oh dear.
25 Sept. - Lancelot Andrewes; Sergei of Radonezh; Ember Day
26 Sept. - Ss. Cosmas and Damian; Wilson Carlile; Ember Day

And then the Office of Readings returns to the relative sanity of the letter of St Polycarp to the Philippians. So I make that four days out of fourteen where we can't avoid Augustine. Not a bad year. [Biased]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could some kind person tell me, in the preces which are to be said in the breviary offices of Lauds and Vespers on certain ferial occasions (the Ember days in this instance), what is the correct form to substitute for the versicle "Domine, salvum fac regem/O Lord, save the King", for those of us over whom HM Queen Elizabeth is gloriously reigning?

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
Could some kind person tell me, in the preces which are to be said in the breviary offices of Lauds and Vespers on certain ferial occasions (the Ember days in this instance), what is the correct form to substitute for the versicle "Domine, salvum fac regem/O Lord, save the King", for those of us over whom HM Queen Elizabeth is gloriously reigning?

Dr. Kiss's online 1960 Breviary substitutes "O Lord, save our leaders," but I don't know if that is consonant with the 1960 rubrics. That said, are there hard and fast rules for English renditions of the 1960 Breviary?
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Brian M - as I like to say the office in Latin, a Latin rendering of "O Lord, save the Queen" will do nicely, if anyone could favour me...

--------------------
Catholic books

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Should be something similar to "Domine, salvas Regina" shouldn't it ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
Thank you, Brian M - as I like to say the office in Latin, a Latin rendering of "O Lord, save the Queen" will do nicely, if anyone could favour me...

"Domine, salvum fac reginam" is exactly parallel to "Domine, salvum fac regem".

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

Shouldn't that be salvam fac reginam?
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always understood it went like this:

For a king: "Domine, salvum fac regem."
For a queen: "Domine, salvam fac reginam."
For a republic: "Domine, salvam fac republicam."

There are variants. For instance, Gounod's St Cecilia Mass, written for the French, has "Domine, salvam fac republicam," but I've heard it sung in England as "Domine, salvam fac reginam nostram" (O Lord, save our queen), with the "nostram" being in there presumably to fit the music.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Magic Wand
Shipmate
# 4227

- Posted      Profile for Magic Wand   Email Magic Wand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The rule for the Roman Breviary was that Domine, salvum fac regem was used, irrespective of the form of government that one lived under.
Posts: 371 | From: Princeton, NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

Thank you all!

--------------------
Catholic books

chiltern_hundred
Shipmate
# 13659

- Posted      Profile for chiltern_hundred   Author's homepage   Email chiltern_hundred   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rather belatedly:

quote:
23 Sept. - An Ember Day in the CofE.
Isn't that rather an appropriate day for reminding ordinands of the ghastliness of some of their predecessors, and the rest of us of the fact that there's nothing new about grotty clergy?

--------------------
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Posts: 691 | From: Duck City, UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always been interested in how people pray the Liturgy of the Hours. I think the ideal for me, no matter what denominational form of the Daily Office is used, would be to be able to pick up a single book and sing (or say) the whole Office from it with minimal confusion and fuss.

Yesterday I stopped by St. John Cantius Roman Catholic Church here in Chicago and prayed the Rosary and Evening Prayer along with the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius, the order of priests and lay brothers in residence at the church. They use the current volume of the four-volume Liturgy of the Hours (pub. Catholic Book Publishing) along
with a small supplementary booklet for each season, giving the Latin opening, hymn, and responsory for each day. Everything else is from the LotH book.

They chant all the psalms antiphonally (alternating sides of the church) on Gregorian psalm tone II, including the antiphons. I don't know whether they have all pointed their breviaries or not, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they've just gotten very familiar with tone II and can chant it together without pointing. They interestingly use a flex (momentary drop to a lower pitch) to subdivide long second halves of verses as well as long first halves. Normally a flex is used only in the first half, but I can see where their practice may be aimed at consistent treatment of the unpointed LotH psalms. (At least the British-published Divine Office three-volume set provides an asterisk to mark the half-verse, so Gregorian tones can be used as well as four-line strophe tones like Saint Meinrad tones.)

The reading is spoken in English with introduction (A reading from...) and conclusion (The Word of the Lord / Thanks be to God) just as at Mass.

The Magnificat and its antiphon are chanted to Saint Meinrad Tone 5, sticking firmly to a four-line strophe division even though the book doesn't divide it that way.

The intercessions are said responsively between leader and all, with the leader saying the first half of each intercession and everyone saying the second half. The provided refrain is said only once at the end of the introduction to the intercessions.

The familiar Snow version of the Our Father (the chant most used at Mass) is used, and then the cantor chants the collect with simple inflection at the end.

A priest chants the blessing quite simply, and everyone departs.

[ 09. October 2009, 00:28: Message edited by: Oblatus ]

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the Church of the Holy Cross parish, the liturgy of the hours are said before the weekday masses in the morning and the evening. Copies of the UK (and the former commonwealth countries) of Shorter Morning and Evening Prayer are supplied and thus only the weekday forms are used, and sometimes propers for the principal feasts are said.

Sometimes the Gospel canticles are chanted to one of the strophe setting, depending on whether the leader is confident on leading.

Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
achew
Apprentice
# 9924

- Posted      Profile for achew   Email achew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just browsing the net and found that the Daily Office SSF is coming out with a new imprint from Continuum publishing. Its set for a launch date either in January 2010(on Amazon's site) or May 2010 (on Continuum's website) edited by Sr Joyce and Br Colin.

Has anyone heard anything else of interest about this new publication?

Posts: 5 | From: Singapore | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

I've just pre-ordered a copy of the new edition of the Daily Office SSF on Amazon. I haven't heard anything about the content or format, but I suspect that it will be very similar to Common Worship; Daily Prayer, with additional Franciscan material.

Oblatus, the supplementary booklet used by the Canons Regular of St John Cantius for the LOH sounds interesting. Have they produced this booklet themselves? I have often thought that it would be a good idea if a publisher such as Vatican Press or Midwest Theological Forum was to produce a booklet containing all the Latin office hymns from the Liturgia Horarum which could then be used with the vernacular office in any language.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antiphon:
Oblatus, the supplementary booklet used by the Canons Regular of St John Cantius for the LOH sounds interesting. Have they produced this booklet themselves? I have often thought that it would be a good idea if a publisher such as Vatican Press or Midwest Theological Forum was to produce a booklet containing all the Latin office hymns from the Liturgia Horarum which could then be used with the vernacular office in any language.

Yes, they produce it themselves for their own use. I've only seen it and haven't got a copy. They do one for the Advent/Christmas LotH volume, one for the Lent/Easter volume, and one covering both Ordinary Time volumes. On Marian festivals and perhaps some other holy days, there seems to be a last-minute distribution of a folded sheet with the necessary hymn and responsory.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*bump*

Popping into Holy Name Cathedral in Chicago, I found out that they pray Evening Prayer before their 5:15 Mass. I didn't have a breviary, since none were offered to me, but I noticed later where they were kept for people to help themselves. It sounded to be totally by-the-book.

One thing that made me a bit wistful was the fact that I was able to join in with the Magnificat because it used the common text that I know already. I am saddened by the fact that the days of common texts will be coming to an end soon. [Frown]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
Popping into Holy Name Cathedral in Chicago, I found out that they pray Evening Prayer before their 5:15 Mass. I didn't have a breviary, since none were offered to me, but I noticed later where they were kept for people to help themselves. It sounded to be totally by-the-book.

Great! I think this is fairly recent; perhaps just since the reopening after all the fire repairs? Just noticed it in the bulletin:

“Vespers,” from The Liturgy of the Hours~5:00pm,
Monday~Friday. In the Cathedral

Were the provided breviaries copies of Shorter Christian Prayer? That's what I've seen most in RC places where books are provided.

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another small shift away from the "Mass with everything" version of Catholicism that has prevailed since the 60s. Almost twenty years ago when I brief thought about going over it was very rarely that you found Lauds and Vespers said anywhere except in monastic churches and a few exceptionally well favoured cathedrals such as Westminister.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
scribbler
Shipmate
# 12268

- Posted      Profile for scribbler   Email scribbler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since the new RC missal is on the way, does anyone know if a new translation of the Liturgy of the Hours/Christian Prayer is in the offing? I like to occasionally use Christian Prayer and love the format, but find some of the translations (not to mention the illustrations!) a bit cheesy.
Posts: 309 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by scribbler:
Since the new RC missal is on the way, does anyone know if a new translation of the Liturgy of the Hours/Christian Prayer is in the offing? I like to occasionally use Christian Prayer and love the format, but find some of the translations (not to mention the illustrations!) a bit cheesy.

I'm not holding my breath. I would add that I hope and pray any new edition will be published by anyone except Catholic Book Publishing, home of the World's Ugliest Books.
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

It has just been announced on the New Liturgical Movement website that a new English edition of the LOH has just been published for use in Africa, which corresponds to the latest edition of the Latin Liturgia Horarum.

This edition might give an indication as to the possible form of future revisions of the UK and USA editions. In particular, I wonder what sort of Office Hymns the new African edition has? I wonder whether it has translations of the classic Latin hymns or has stayed with modern vernacular compositions?

It would be interesting to obtain a set of the new African edition. I believe that the full four-volume set will cost around $100, a single-volume edition containing everything except the Office of Readings will cost $25, and a volume containing Morning and Evening Prayer will cost $6.50.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
Great! I think this is fairly recent; perhaps just since the reopening after all the fire repairs? Just noticed it in the bulletin:

“Vespers,” from The Liturgy of the Hours~5:00pm,
Monday~Friday. In the Cathedral

Supposedly, they pray something before the 12:10 Mass as well, IIRC it's at 11:50 or so.

After the 5:15 Mass, it was announced that they would be praying the Rosary in the small chapel that is accessed over by the chancel organ.

The praying of the office made me think that somebody at Holy Name has popped by a certain Anglo-Catholic place in Chicago. The office was led by the priest (who would later say Mass) and a laywoman. They were stationed directly in front of the front rows of pews, facing each other, for the most part. The priest led the office. When it came time for the psalms and canticles, they were read antiphonally, with the priest leading his side of the nave, and the laywoman leading hers. Priest and laywoman both made profound bows for the Gloria Patri. One thing that struck me as odd was that the laywoman left her post and went to the ambo, from which she read the lesson and led the responsory--a significant trudge to walk. It seemed to be done there so that the microphone could be utilized.

There was a brief gap between the office and the Mass, during which the priest (who had previously been wearing clerical shirt and jacket) went to the vestry to vest. A different lector appeared for Mass, and during the offertory another person appeared from the east door, rang the bells at the consecration, and then left before communion. Go figure.

I would call this an emerging office community, as there were several people in attendance who were seriously into it, and they really seemed to be giving it the old college try.

quote:
Were the provided breviaries copies of Shorter Christian Prayer? That's what I've seen most in RC places where books are provided.
I didn't get a chance to look. The books were on a wheeled cart, and I forgot to look. From a distance, I'd say they were smaller in size than a typical hymnal, black, and about as thick as a pew edition BCP79. (It was not the Mundelein Psalter, unless they have a smaller size.) Whatever the book was, it provided the materials for people to pray the full office with perhaps only one flip of pages.

If anybody should end up there, FYI the cart of breviaries was wheeled out shortly before the office, and stationed in the wide walkway between the front and back sections of pews, about halfway down the nave. (Who would ever look there?) This is the same walkway where they station the gifts for the offertory.

In the pews at Holy Name, they still have copies of Worship (III, I suppose, but I forgot to look). They must have liked that hymnal enough to buy replacement copies in the renovation. Those were the only books in the pews. I had been expecting that they would pray Evening Prayer out of there, since the other books were not around when I entered.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
The praying of the office made me think that somebody at Holy Name has popped by a certain Anglo-Catholic place in Chicago.

That's it, then: I shall simply have to visit and experience this soonest!

quote:
I didn't get a chance to look. The books were on a wheeled cart, and I forgot to look. From a distance, I'd say they were smaller in size than a typical hymnal, black, and about as thick as a pew edition BCP79.
My first guess would be that these are Christian Prayer in the Daughters of St Paul edition; perhaps they bought a supply from the Pauline bookshop on Michigan Avenue. I'll definitely check on this. BTW, yes, they use the Worship III hymnal. Glad they haven't given in to the newsprint annual tossables.
[Roll Eyes]

[Code fix. Mamacita, host]

[ 16. October 2009, 04:13: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

scribbler
Shipmate
# 12268

- Posted      Profile for scribbler   Email scribbler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...Catholic Book Publishing, home of the World's Ugliest Books.

It really is. The design of their books seems almost intentionally atrocious.

quote:
It has just been announced on the New Liturgical Movement website that a new English edition of the LOH has just been published for use in Africa, which corresponds to the latest edition of the Latin Liturgia Horarum.

Thank you for posting this! That revision sounds interesting.
Posts: 309 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

- Posted      Profile for RCD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't suppose anyone knows whether it can be purchased through any Pauline outlet or has to be ordered direct from Africa? I tried emailing the local Pauline bookstore and all my emails bounced.

Edit: by "it" I mean the new African LOTH

[ 18. October 2009, 15:04: Message edited by: RCD ]

dkpintar
Apprentice
# 14802

- Posted      Profile for dkpintar   Author's homepage   Email dkpintar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RCD:
I don't suppose anyone knows whether it can be purchased through any Pauline outlet or has to be ordered direct from Africa? I tried emailing the local Pauline bookstore and all my emails bounced.

Edit: by "it" I mean the new African LOTH

i've sent off an e-mail/order to the paulines in africa. if i have to transfer bank funds, i'll do it.
when i get a response from them, i'll let people here know.

--------------------
die 1 martii: Menéviæ in Cámbira, sancti David, epíscopi, qui, exémpla et mores Patrum orientálium ímitans, monastérium, cóndidit, unde permùlti profécti sunt mónachi, qui Cámbriam, Hibérnium, Cornúbiam et Armóricam evangelizárunt.

Posts: 41 | From: derby, east midlands, UK | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Fr Cuthbert
Shipmate
# 3953

- Posted      Profile for Fr Cuthbert     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my ministry I've used different offices. Sometimes I wish I hadn't and just stuck to one. However, different places used different versions.

Now I have more personal choice I vary a little. I have to say though that on the whole I have reverted to the 1928 (Church of England) Prayer Book and Psalter, with the Common Worship lectionary, using the Revised Enlgish Bible for the Scripture.

It is interesting that as I've got older I revert to what I began with in ministry ...

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by dkpintar:
i've sent off an e-mail/order to the paulines in africa. if i have to transfer bank funds, i'll do it. when i get a response from them, i'll let people here know.

Thank you...hope one of us hears something this week. I've e-mailed our Pauline sisters here in Chicago and got no bounce message but no reply either. I may have to visit the shop and ask in person! I have a feeling they won't know, but maybe there's a sister in residence who keeps up on such things.
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone tell me how much of the Liturgy of the Hours remains to be transcribed to Universalis? Have they added the three-year Sunday Gospel Canticle antiphons?

[ 19. October 2009, 15:43: Message edited by: Extol ]

Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
dkpintar
Apprentice
# 14802

- Posted      Profile for dkpintar   Author's homepage   Email dkpintar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
i've sent off an e-mail/order to the paulines in africa. if i have to transfer bank funds, i'll do it. when i get a response from them, i'll let people here know.

Thank you...hope one of us hears something this week. I've e-mailed our Pauline sisters here in Chicago and got no bounce message but no reply either. I may have to visit the shop and ask in person! I have a feeling they won't know, but maybe there's a sister in residence who keeps up on such things.
I receieved my response from the pauline sisters [here in the UK], an invoice which i am paying today. but i think you have to use the email-order form on the site and that goes to nairobi kenya first. then they send it on the to appropriate place.

[ 20. October 2009, 06:21: Message edited by: dkpintar ]

--------------------
die 1 martii: Menéviæ in Cámbira, sancti David, epíscopi, qui, exémpla et mores Patrum orientálium ímitans, monastérium, cóndidit, unde permùlti profécti sunt mónachi, qui Cámbriam, Hibérnium, Cornúbiam et Armóricam evangelizárunt.

Posts: 41 | From: derby, east midlands, UK | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
dkpintar
Apprentice
# 14802

quote:
I receieved my response from the pauline sisters [here in the UK], an invoice which i am paying today. but i think you have to use the email-order form on the site and that goes to nairobi kenya first. then they send it on the to appropriate place.

i recieved an e-mail from the pauline sisters saying my books are in the mail [Smile] .

i shall review them here for everyone when i get them.

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
i recieved an e-mail from the pauline sisters saying my books are in the mail [Smile] .

Looking forward to the news! Will help me decide whether to place an order. And wondering how this edition got to be done with the Revised Grail when publication of the Revised Grail by itself seems not yet to have been authorized. [Smile]
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:

An acquaintance of mine who posts in another forum has received his set and is beginning to peruse them. He remarks favorably about the cover. Apparently he paid via wire transfer.
dkpintar
Apprentice
# 14802

My copy of the LoTH arrived today.
I am very impressed.

The only "down" side is the (continuing) use of the single-year reading cycle.

--------------------

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

Please tell us more!

Does it have translations of the classic Office Hymns?

dkpintar
Apprentice
# 14802

quote:
Please tell us more!

Does it have translations of the classic Office Hymns?

worry not . . . .i'll do a summary of the changes in the next few days. the changes are described quite in depth in the introduction to the volume.

[ 11. November 2009, 16:56: Message edited by: dkpintar ]

--------------------

Monty
Shipmate
# 9227

- Posted      Profile for Monty   Email Monty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, we look forward to the review.

--------------------
I too am High, even extreme, but somewhat lapsed, which is a sound position, as you belong to the best section of the best branch of the Christian Church, but seldom attend its services. Rose Macaulay

Posts: 170 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
dkpintar
Apprentice
# 14802

ok...................

Nice cover. Cover, printing,the style is like Catholic Book Publishing LoTH but "better". Priced at US$100/£82.50; this is amazing for the quality you get.

The texts of Biblical Readings, Old Testament Canticles and New Testament Canticles for Evening Prayer from "New American Bible"/cf:New African Bible.

Pslams, Benedictus, Magnificat,Nunc Dimittus from "Revised Grail Psalms".

All other English translation(s) from the ICEL

Includes calendar and propers for the Dioceses of Kenya; calendar for dioceses of Africa. (But you can easily use your own particular national calendar/propers)

New hymns; acknowledgement for these is on 2 pages in back of book. Too much to mention here.

Some Latin hymns as 'options'; Latin text of Te Deum", Benedictus, Magnificat and Nunc Dimmittus

"This edition of the Liturgy of the Hours was commissioned by the AMECEA Bishops, approved by the Kenya Episcopal Conference and Confirmed ''by Rome'' "

Will I use it?: Yes!

Luckily the readings in these volumes are for "year 2" of the cylcle; ie:for even numbered(liturgical) calendar years. Maybe in the in the meantime, someone will prepare English (patrisitic) readings for year 1.
If not, then I may have to use Latin version of LoTH with "Lectionnaire Monastique".....

Why can't a/the new translation be done (officially) for the rest of the English-speaking world? Why? Why?

-------------------------------------------------
From "DECREE Protonada 1814/84" (p 13 of this LoTH)(my summary):

[[relates to the Latin second Editio Typica of 1985,upon which this book is based]]

[1] text of New Vulgate adopted/adapted for , biblical readings, responsories, psalms.
[5] New antiphons for the Benedictus and Magnificat--based on Gospels for years A, B and C.
[6] The drafting of hymns has been carefully and highly polished.
[7] Each psalm is doubly numbered using Greek version and then Hebrew version.
[9] Further texts are added in the appendix, taken from the Roman Missal, for solemn blessing and act of peneitence.
-------------------------------------------------

That's the way it is..............

[ 14. November 2009, 13:35: Message edited by: dkpintar ]

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
quote:
... but I then got a copy of Hymns for Prayer and Praise, which I found a much better resource: better structured with guidance for choosing appropriate hymns, nicely noted with two tunes per hymn text: a plainchant one and a metrical one.

If you can still get your hands on Hymns for Prayer and Praise, you should. The editors have a very clear idea of what they want: both language and music are straightforward and simple you are trained to pay attention to the drama of the text. Like the defunct ICEL psalter, you either love or loathe the austerity.
HfPP is out of print, and impossible to find second-hand. I've just heard that a re-print is in the pipeline and Stanbrook Abbey are taking email requests for the waiting list.

I'm guessing that a goodly waiting list will reassure the publishers.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since Stanbrook Abbey is mentioned and that the title of the book I'm going to recommend is listed on its web page, may I draw your attention to their "Music for Evening Prayer".

In this book, the texts for Vespers and Compline on Sundays, Solemnities and major feast days are set to modal plainsong melodies (except for the hymns). It is a good resource if one intends to sing the UK version of the Divine Office or if you are into collecting vernacular chant music.

For the rest of the antiphons, the introductory material in the book gives ideas of how their their psalm tones can be made more complex to provide the music. They also provide different gregorian formulae which can be centonized, should you choose to compose the music yourself.

Psalm tones adapted from the Gregorian modes are also provided.

Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

In view of its contents, I could see myself obtaining a set of the new African edition of the LOH after the New Year. I think I would obtain it in preference to the forthcoming Latin/English edition of the 1961 Breviary by Baronius Press, as I would probably find the African LOH of greater use; I already have the Anglican Breviary and the all-Latin edition of the 1961 breviary published by Nova et Vetera last year.

I will enquire at my nearest branch of St Paul Multimedia to see whether they could obtain it for me. Possibly it may eventually be available for purchase online from one supplier or another.

RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

- Posted      Profile for RCD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
New hymns; acknowledgement for these is on 2 pages in back of book. Too much to mention here.

Some Latin hymns as 'options'; Latin text of Te Deum", Benedictus, Magnificat and Nunc Dimmittus

Are the new hymns translations of the Latin hymn texts or unrelated new compositions?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016