homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Daily Office (yet again) (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Daily Office (yet again)
dkpintar
Apprentice
# 14802

- Posted      Profile for dkpintar   Author's homepage   Email dkpintar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antiphon:
In view of its contents, I could see myself obtaining a set of the new African edition of the LOH after the New Year. I think I would obtain it in preference to the forthcoming Latin/English edition of the 1961 Breviary by Baronius Press, as I would probably find the African LOH of greater use; I already have the Anglican Breviary and the all-Latin edition of the 1961 breviary published by Nova et Vetera last year.

I will enquire at my nearest branch of St Paul Multimedia to see whether they could obtain it for me. Possibly it may eventually be available for purchase online from one supplier or another.

ant:

i doubt your local St Paul Multimedia will be able to fulfill your request.

Best to order from Africa---then you get an e-mail from the Paulist nuns in Slough; I sent them a check. I got my books in about 3 weeks (from Kenya). As I said above, books and postage for £82.50

--------------------
die 1 martii: Menéviæ in Cámbira, sancti David, epíscopi, qui, exémpla et mores Patrum orientálium ímitans, monastérium, cóndidit, unde permùlti profécti sunt mónachi, qui Cámbriam, Hibérnium, Cornúbiam et Armóricam evangelizárunt.

Posts: 41 | From: derby, east midlands, UK | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All ye who pine for Fr Hartzell's Prayer Book Office - Here's something similar and a whole lot cheaper. 'haligweorc' has a beta software up at St Bede's Breviary

I have not seen Fr Hartzell's book but I get a sense that it draws its extras from the Sarum antiphoner. It seems, from current material in St Bede's, the same source is used here. The core of this office, however, is based on the 79 Prayer book. Hartzell meets Galley.

The texts are singable too. They are the same translation used and published by the Wantage sisters.

Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
the Ænglican
Shipmate
# 12496

- Posted      Profile for the Ænglican   Email the Ænglican   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
I have not seen Fr Hartzell's book but I get a sense that it draws its extras from the Sarum antiphoner. It seems, from current material in St Bede's, the same source is used here. The core of this office, however, is based on the 79 Prayer book. Hartzell meets Galley.

I was shooting for traditional yet not under copyright. (So many resources that I'd love to use--Galley, A Monastic Breviary (OHC), English Office, etc.) are still in copyright that include the "no electronic means" proviso. Thus, the direct source for a lot of the festal canticle antiphons are drawn directly from the Tridentine Breviary of the Marquis of Bute.

quote:
The texts are singable too. They are the same translation used and published by the Wantage sisters.

The hymn selections were largely drawn the Hymner but the translations do come from a variety of sources. Again--one of my goals was finding texts not under copyright. Tunes have been scanned but have not yet been incorporated.

--------------------
The subject of religious ceremonial is one which has a special faculty for stirring strong feeling. --W. H. Frere

Posts: 177 | From: Baltimore-ish | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*bump*

Is the martyrology read daily by religious orders of today?

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
*bump*

Is the martyrology read daily by religious orders of today?

I would imagine the more traditional ones still read it. For example, the Papa Stronsay Redemptorists, and the trad. rite Benedictines of the La Barroux family of abbeys and priories.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
chiltern_hundred
Shipmate
# 13659

- Posted      Profile for chiltern_hundred   Author's homepage   Email chiltern_hundred   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
News received via an online discussion group on the Anglican Use:

"The Anglican Catholic Church of Canada has a magnificent new Liturgy of the Hours which contains the Prayer Book Office together with the Lesser Hours and some other material. Of readily manageable dimensions, it includes the readings, antiphons and all the office hymns (from the ACC "Ancient Office Hymn Book"). There are two volumes, the first of which -- Advent to Quinquagesima -- is now available, with the second volume to follow. It is very "user-friendly" and well laid out. In addition, there is a single-volume abridged edition available."

Does anyone have any further information about this?

Posts: 691 | From: Duck City, UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could it be this ?
chiltern_hundred
Shipmate
# 13659

- Posted      Profile for chiltern_hundred   Author's homepage   Email chiltern_hundred   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder ...

I shall pass that link on. Never heard of that particular religious Order before.

quote:
Could it be this ?

--------------------
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Posts: 691 | From: Duck City, UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chiltern_hundred:
"The Anglican Catholic Church of Canada has a magnificent new Liturgy of the Hours which contains the Prayer Book Office together with the Lesser Hours and some other material. Of readily manageable dimensions, it includes the readings, antiphons and all the office hymns (from the ACC "Ancient Office Hymn Book"). There are two volumes, the first of which -- Advent to Quinquagesima -- is now available, with the second volume to follow. It is very "user-friendly" and well laid out. In addition, there is a single-volume abridged edition available."

I believe this is the abridged one-volume edition mentioned.
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

- Posted      Profile for cg   Email cg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Resurrecting this thread to draw the attention of Sarum enthusiasts to this: forthcoming Sarum office in English.
Posts: 136 | From: Antipodes | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

- Posted      Profile for Eddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to try a simple daily office which also used some readings and poetry and wasnt too long and had pauses in it. Varied but not complicated.

Ideas, guys?

HAPPY NEW YEAR , guys.

Posts: 3237 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All right, Oblatus, I didn't miss your mention of Holy Name and its daily office. I'm curious...what did you think (and did you find the breviaries?!)

[ 02. January 2010, 18:14: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Eddy:
I'd like to try a simple daily office which also used some readings and poetry and wasnt too long and had pauses in it. Varied but not complicated.

Ideas, guys?

HAPPY NEW YEAR , guys.

The poetry bit will probably thwart us while searching. For now, check out Phyllis Tickle's
The Divine Hours, a series of several seasonal books. They follow a familiar office ordo, but are made to be prayed in a short burst of time. The pauses would be up to you. It's something to check out for now, anyway.

dkpintar
Apprentice
# 14802

- Posted      Profile for dkpintar   Author's homepage   Email dkpintar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Ideas, guys?

HAPPY NEW YEAR , guys.

The poetry bit will probably thwart us while searching. For now, check out Phyllis Tickle's
The Divine Hours, a series of several seasonal books. They follow a familiar office ordo, but are made to be prayed in a short burst of time. The pauses would be up to you. It's something to check out for now, anyway.

This series of books are good for simple yet familiar time/ordo of the prayers. I recommend them.
Especially good when traveling.

--------------------
die 1 martii: Menéviæ in Cámbira, sancti David, epíscopi, qui, exémpla et mores Patrum orientálium ímitans, monastérium, cóndidit, unde permùlti profécti sunt mónachi, qui Cámbriam, Hibérnium, Cornúbiam et Armóricam evangelizárunt.

Posts: 41 | From: derby, east midlands, UK | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

- Posted      Profile for Eddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been looking at the Tickle books and not quite getting it.

Do they come as a series or is the Advent thru Epiphany different from Wintertime / Springtime.

I mean which volumes make up a set?

I see there is a childrens version too - anyone know if that works?

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All right, Oblatus, I didn't miss your mention of Holy Name and its daily office. I'm curious...what did you think (and did you find the breviaries?!)

Sorry...my mention of praying an Office at Holy Name meant I went to a pew and prayed it on my own (with my BCP/NRSV office book). I haven't visited for Holy Name's daily Office yet, but thanks for the reminder! [Smile]
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

quote:

HAPPY NEW YEAR , guys.

Happy new year. I've mentioned this book and I'll do it again. Check out Merton's "A Book of Hours" . Amazon has preview pages - plenty of poetry to sustain the soul.
dkpintar
Apprentice
# 14802

quote:
I've been looking at the Tickle books and not quite getting it.

Do they come as a series or is the Advent thru Epiphany different from Wintertime / Springtime.

I mean which volumes make up a set?

I see there is a childrens version too - anyone know if that works?

it comes in 4 volumes; winter, summer, spring, and autumn. There is also a 5th volu,e for the "night offices".

i did not know there was a children;s version, but if i were you, i'd go with the "adult".

--------------------

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

dkpintar

but where does the Advent thru Epiphany fit in that 4 volumes or is it something else?

Ed

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
December & January happen in winter don't they ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

Of course they do. That comment, somewhat sarcastic, I think!

The point is there are two different volumes - one is named as for 'Wintertime' the other is named as 'Advent thru Epiphany'. My request was for those in ther know about these books to tell me if the latter is an extra to the Wintertime one or is it the Wint6ertime in a new name.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
December & January happen in winter don't they ?

On only half the planet. [Biased]
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
Sorry...my mention of praying an Office at Holy Name meant I went to a pew and prayed it on my own (with my BCP/NRSV office book). I haven't visited for Holy Name's daily Office yet, but thanks for the reminder! [Smile]

Well then, word to the wise: there was a wheely cart positioned in the cross-aisle halfway up the nave. It was not there when I arrived, so it must have been put out right before the office. There was a very small core contingent (almost all women) that sat right up front and the officiant-priest's volume was attuned to them, so if you're very serious about it I'd sit up near them.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by chiltern_hundred:

I believe this is the abridged one-volume edition mentioned.
I've purchased a hardcover copy of the book from the link above and have been using it for a few days. It's very well done and can be used with a Bible for an enriched eightfold office based on the 1959/62 Canadian BCP, but compatible with the USA 1928 BCP and possibly the 1662 BCP. Its aim is similar to that of The English Office, but I think this new An Anglican Catholic Liturgy of the Hours: Abridged Edition does it more successfully. Good typography and layout; very sturdy binding. A few typos, but those few I've seen so far are very minor.

I should add that I don't represent the editor or publisher of the book in any way; just bought the book and thought I'd tell you it's good. [Big Grin]

cg
Shipmate
# 14332

- Posted      Profile for cg   Email cg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting. What does it use for Matins readings?

For a noted alternative (with Coverdale psalms and KJV chapters etc.) you might have to wait for the English translation of the Sarum breviary currently in hand by Dr William Renwick, in parallel with his Latin edition already being made available here.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by cg:
Interesting. What does it use for Matins readings?

For a noted alternative (with Coverdale psalms and KJV chapters etc.) you might have to wait for the English translation of the Sarum breviary currently in hand by Dr William Renwick, in parallel with his Latin edition already being made available here.

Matins and Evensong in this book are Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer from the 1959/62 Canadian BCP, so the readings, as far as I can tell, are from that BCP's lectionary. To these offices are added Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Compline, and "The Office in the Night," and all of these little hours have short chapters (a sentence or two).
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

Ah, thanks for explaining that. I was assuming the "Office in the Night" was an equivalent of the Office of Readings/Vigils/Matins (in the older parlance) with some patristic material as well as scriptural readings.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by cg:
Ah, thanks for explaining that. I was assuming the "Office in the Night" was an equivalent of the Office of Readings/Vigils/Matins (in the older parlance) with some patristic material as well as scriptural readings.

The Office in the Night is almost entirely fixed:

• Scripture Sentence
  • Preces
  • Hymn: Nocte surgentes
  • Ps. 57 with antiphon
  • Lesson: Mk. 13:35-37
  • Collect
  • Conclusion

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
I don't know if anyone else noticed it but buried in this interview is some possible good news.
quote:
The new closeness between Solesmes and St. Peters will intensify later this year when Solesmes releases an in-print version of the first volume of the Antiphonale for the Liturgy of the Hours, which will then be used in published form for Vespers at the Vatican.

So maybe we'll see some more music for the Liturgy of the Hours before the year's end.
Just when I was starting to wonder if this was going to happen after all, Fr. Zuhlsdorf spotted a post on another forum with some possible good news. A member there got the following message from the Solesmes:
quote:
Dear Sir

the Vesperal for Sundays and feats according Lituriga Horarum will be available in Solesmes editions next wek.
For Laud you will have to be patient.
Sincerely
Daniel Saulnier

So it looks like people will be able to sing modern Vespers to Gregorian Chant pretty soon.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
p.s. I should note the message said "Sundays and feasts", not weekdays so people will still have to piece the chant for weekday modern Vespers (in Latin) on their own. Still, this is good news and practical for use in a cathedral or parish setting.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of the Liturgy of the Hours, does anyone know what kind of differences there are between the Antiphonale Monasticum and the Liturgia Horarum?
So far, I've been adapting the antiphons on my own ( Example )And I'm thinking about investing in one or two volumes of the AM.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
dkpintar
Apprentice
# 14802

quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
Speaking of the Liturgy of the Hours, does anyone know what kind of differences there are between the Antiphonale Monasticum and the Liturgia Horarum?
So far, I've been adapting the antiphons on my own ( Example )And I'm thinking about investing in one or two volumes of the AM.

Antiphonale Monasticum uses the one-week Benedictine schema of psalms, although they do have a book which extends it to four (if I remember correctly). I have all three volumes of the AM. .

Which antiphons do you need??

[ 17. January 2010, 16:13: Message edited by: dkpintar ]

--------------------

cg
Shipmate
# 14332

Or have a look here
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
p.s. I should note the message said "Sundays and feasts", not weekdays so people will still have to piece the chant for weekday modern Vespers (in Latin) on their own. Still, this is good news and practical for use in a cathedral or parish setting.

If you don't mind Dominican chants, there's always
this work in progress.

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dkpintar:
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:

Antiphonale Monasticum uses the one-week Benedictine schema of psalms, although they do have a book which extends it to four (if I remember correctly). I have all three volumes of the AM. .

Which antiphons do you need??

I'm covered so far for all the offices of the year except for lauds of the first-fifth Sundays of lent and lauds and vespers of Easter Sunday.

The Sarum chant looks extremely interesting, and I've bookmarked it. Unfortunately, Acrobat has decided that he doesn't want to work today so I can't see the Dominican chant.

Thanks you everyone for your help!

[Smile]

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
BenjaminS
Apprentice
# 13224

- Posted      Profile for BenjaminS   Email BenjaminS   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would love to learn how to chant some of the office on my own. I'm mostly using Common Worship: Daily Prayer, but I also use the US BCP 79 sometimes. Any advice to a total chant newbie on how to get started (I can read music, if that's helpful)?
Posts: 48 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a CW psalter which is either pointed or set to chant which I pointed out to Adeodatus ages and ages ago. I'll try and find it.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quicker than I thought - Music for Common Worship V: Psalter with Chants here.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Swick
Shipmate
# 8773

- Posted      Profile for Swick   Email Swick       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Psalter of the 1979 BCP is available from Church Publishing pointed for Plainsong/Gregorian chant, at Plainsong link and pointe for Anglican chant at Plainsong link both are $40.00 which is on the expensive side. I own the Plainsong Psalter, which also provided seaonal antiphons for the pslams; I assume the Anglican chant version doese as well.

[Code fix. Mamacita, Host]

[ 19. January 2010, 15:13: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

Posts: 197 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Swick, when posting a link, please insert a website name or short descriptor when the UBB screen gives you the second prompt, rather than just repeating all the code a second time. It will make the post easier to read. There's a UBB practice thread in the Styx if you want to experiment. Thanks!

Mamacita, Eccles Host

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Swick:
The Psalter of the 1979 BCP is available from Church Publishing pointed for Plainsong/Gregorian chant, at Plainsong link and pointe for Anglican chant at Plainsong link both are $40.00 which is on the expensive side. I own the Plainsong Psalter, which also provided seaonal antiphons for the pslams; I assume the Anglican chant version doese as well.

The monks and nuns of the Order of St Julian of Norwich offer their plainsong psalter (1979 BCP) free, as two big PDFs on this page. Lots of other goodies there as well.

[ 19. January 2010, 20:40: Message edited by: Oblatus ]

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have both the Anglican Chant and the Plainsong Psalter and (perhaps unfortunately) the Anglican chant volume does not have antiphons.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For any who may be interested, there is a project underway for the online publication of scans of the liturgical material of the St Gregory's Press, (primarily the Benedictine hours).

Unfortunately, the scanned files are much larger than they need to be, making downloading and sending the files to others really more arduous than necessary. Yet the material is extremely useful, and is the most user-friendly form of the office that I have seen, due particularly to all of the music actually being there, and I'm grateful for their efforts. All of the music is there, as are the rubrics, and the psalms and canticles are meticulously pointed, making for ease of chanting. Aside from anything else, they use the Holy Transfiguration translation, which is my personal favourite. Perhaps putting the different volumes into some sort of presenation folder for home use would be the best way of going about it.

Here is the site. So far, the complete Sunday Office, the Proper of Saints for December, and the Advent Offices have been published, so they've fallen a little behind but I believe that there are plans for the rest to follow.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Astley:
For any who may be interested, there is a project underway for the online publication of scans of the liturgical material of the St Gregory's Press, (primarily the Benedictine hours).

Unfortunately, the scanned files are much larger than they need to be, making downloading and sending the files to others really more arduous than necessary. Yet the material is extremely useful, and is the most user-friendly form of the office that I have seen, due particularly to all of the music actually being there, and I'm grateful for their efforts. All of the music is there, as are the rubrics, and the psalms and canticles are meticulously pointed, making for ease of chanting. Aside from anything else, they use the Holy Transfiguration translation, which is my personal favourite. Perhaps putting the different volumes into some sort of presenation folder for home use would be the best way of going about it.

This is wonderful, Michael. Thank you for letting us know. I have a hard copy of the ferial book for the Office throughout the week, and just going through a day's worth of the Office is highly educational...all the detailed rubrics about how things are done line up with much traditional Benedictine practice.

I see what you mean about the file sizes. Everything appears to be scanned; I wonder whether anyone has the original electronic files available to make PDFs from them, which I think would produce smaller files. I could be wrong.

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is wonderful, Michael. Thank you for letting us know. I have a hard copy of the ferial book for the Office throughout the week, and just going through a day's worth of the Office is highly educational...all the detailed rubrics about how things are done line up with much traditional Benedictine practice.

I see what you mean about the file sizes. Everything appears to be scanned; I wonder whether anyone has the original electronic files available to make PDFs from them, which I think would produce smaller files. I could be wrong.

That would make it much better, wouldn't it? All they need is a PDF virtual printer and it should be much less time-consuming for them in addition to producing smaller files. I'll try to contact them and see what can be done. I think I'd go slowly mad if I had to scan all of those pages.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
That would make it much better, wouldn't it? All they need is a PDF virtual printer and it should be much less time-consuming for them in addition to producing smaller files. I'll try to contact them and see what can be done. I think I'd go slowly mad if I had to scan all of those pages.

I've downloaded all of the files and used Acrobat Pro 9 to shrink the file size, and it saved maybe 25-40 percent, but the files are still very big.

Converting the native (Word?) files to PDF would also produce very sharp, straight pages, of course.

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Converting the native (Word?) files to PDF would also produce very sharp, straight pages, of course.

Yes. Although it was apparently created with something called Multi-lingual Scholar. I'm in occasional contact with one of theirn deacons who is quite prolific on the internet. He's also quite tech savvy so I'll make my suggestions to him and see where, if anywhere, we go.

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Yes. Although it was apparently created with something called Multi-lingual Scholar. I'm in occasional contact with one of theirn deacons who is quite prolific on the internet. He's also quite tech savvy so I'll make my suggestions to him and see where, if anywhere, we go.

Not that I'm complaining. On the contrary, I've often considered buying the volumes (but too expensive) and am thrilled they're becoming available online. Beautiful work.
Bran Stark
Shipmate
# 15252

- Posted      Profile for Bran Stark     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do any parts of the Anglican Communion still require their clergy to recite the Office daily?

--------------------
IN SOVIET ЯUSSIA, SIGNATUЯE ЯEAD YOU!

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

The Church of England certainly does. Morning and Evening Prayer each day.

Thurible

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016