homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Daily Office (yet again) (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Daily Office (yet again)
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It really depends on each person's situation, but...

my suggestion would be to go for quality, not quantity. If you're a person who loves to pray early in the morning before facing the cares of the world, then focus on Morning Prayer. If you're like me, and all you can do is hurry and worry in the morning, then focus on Evening Prayer [and/or Compline].

Morning Prayer is by far the hardest for me, so I don't beat myself up over it. If it is shortened or omitted, or prayed by memory while I am getting ready, I can forgive myself.

I also like what I call the "Festival Additions." On a normal, non-festival day, I pray a very basic, short form of the office. On festival days [especially ones which my church does not celebrate with services], I use the full options of the office and special canticles. Thus, yes I do cheat on the feast of the Annunciation, and substitute the Gloria in Excelsis for the Magnificat. Occasionally I use the Nicene Creed instead of the Apostles'. If I'm using the BCP79, I don't use the confession at every office, but I keep it to the last office of the day. Bottom line: it's all up to me.

[ 07. April 2010, 23:05: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just about to post of a cheque for £87 to the Daughters of St Paul in Slough for a full set of The Liturgy of the Hours for Africa. I'd already sent an email to the Sisters in Nairobi, who sent me an invoice to post on to Slough with my payment in Sterling.

The price seems like good value in comparison with obtaining a new set of the UK edition, which I think is currently about £150 for the three volumes. Moreover, the African edition is fully up-to-date in accordance with the latest directives from the vatican as regards psalm translations, calendar etc.

I will post my own impressions of it when I recieve. It will probably mean that the four-volume USA edition which I currently have will be placed in reserve.

Posts: 235 | From: Nowhere in Particular | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
FatherRobLyons
Shipmate
# 14622

- Posted      Profile for FatherRobLyons   Author's homepage   Email FatherRobLyons   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antiphon:
I'm just about to post of a cheque for £87 to the Daughters of St Paul in Slough for a full set of The Liturgy of the Hours for Africa....

Moreover, the African edition is fully up-to-date in accordance with the latest directives from the vatican as regards psalm translations, calendar etc.

I will post my own impressions of it when I recieve. It will probably mean that the four-volume USA edition which I currently have will be placed in reserve.

I will be looking forward to hear your thoughts. I have been considering this as a splurge purchase, mainly because of the new Psalter. GIA here in the states claims Rome hasn't officially recognized it, and therefore they are not permitted to share the texts at all, even for review purposes. I want to review them to consider putting into use in my local congregation.

Rob+

Posts: 321 | From: Bargersville, IN | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm just about to post of a cheque for £87 to the Daughters of St Paul in Slough for a full set of The Liturgy of the Hours for Africa. I'd already sent an email to the Sisters in Nairobi, who sent me an invoice to post on to Slough with my payment in Sterling.

Interesting...I wonder whether they'd do that for me: send me an invoice I could post to Boston (USA) or even pay at our local Chicago Pauline shop? (I'm guessing Boston, which I gather is the USA HQ.)
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Oblatus

If you are interested in obtaining a set of the LOH for Africa I would suggest sending the Daughters of St Paul in Nairobi an email saying that you wish to order one. Make sure to provide your home address and hopefully they will email you an invoice which you could send with payment to their Boston branch.

Their website is:- [EMAIL]www.paulinesafrica.org[/EMAIL]

I hope this works for you.

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

Here's that link again:-

Paulines Africa

That's what I meant to do the first time!

RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

- Posted      Profile for RCD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know of any links for the chanted/sung Office? I found some nice ones over the Lutheran Liturgical Brotherhood site, for the Gregorian tones in English.

Right now, I'm thinking Compline (preferably Roman) in either English or Latin since I think I'm familiar enough with the texts to follow an audio tape without being distracted. But Lauds and Vespers would be nice as well.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Here's that link again:-

Paulines Africa

That's what I meant to do the first time!

Thank you...the site was practically blocked by several levels of warnings for malware, but I crossed my fingers and held on and got through, and indeed they've sent me an invoice to be paid via US-bank check to Boston. Yay!

Another yay: Paul Inwood reports that the recognitio has been granted for the new Revised Grail Psalter. GIA, roll your presses!

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

I popped into the nearest branch of St Paul Multimedia today which is some miles away from where I live. On the shelf they had three of the four volumes of the new LOH for Africa, ie that for Advent and the two volumes for Ordinary Time. I was therefore able to have a quick preview until my own set arrives.

My first impression was that the standard of printing was much better than that of the current UK or USA editions. I also noted that the Latin versions of the Te Deum, Benedictus, Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis are given as an appendix, as are the solemn blessings from the missal and the penitential rite for use at Compline. I didn't have the chance to compare the revised Grail psalter with the old version, though; that will have to wait until my own volumes arrive.

On the whole, the layout and feel of the books somewhat reminded me of the current Italian edition of the LOH as used by the Franciscans, which I also have. It is very similar to the layout of the Latin Liturgia Horarum.

On the debit side, I was slightly disappointed to note that standard vernacular hymns are still used in the psalter, although the Advent volume has some Latin office hymns as alternatives. Each book also had an appendix with an alternative series of hymns for use during the week; I do not think that these are translations of Latin office hymns, but they may be new compositions.

I am looking forward to using my own set of the LOH for Africa when it arrives, and will use it to replace the American set which I currently have. It's just a pity that the chance wasn't taken to include proper office hymns either in Latin or in translation for use in Ordinary Time.

Perhaps I will splash out on the latest edition of the Liturgia Horarum from Pax Books at some point to compliment the new LOH!

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

PS I also noted that each volume of the LOH for Africa was selling at £23.95, as opposed to £50 for each of the three volumes of the UK Divine Office; this is quite a saving!!

It is costing me £87 to obtain the complete set from Nairobi via Slough, so it would appear that the most economical way to order a complete set of the LOH for Africa is to order it directly from the Daughters of St Paul in Nairobi and receive an invoice from them to pay to their HQ in your own country.

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

Just received an email from the Daughters of St Paul in Nairobi to say that my set of the Liturgy of the Hours for Africa is being despatched from their branch in Rome.

Due to the recent volcanic eruption they will no doubt be delayed for a few days. I will let the forum know when I receive them.

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just bought a copy of this book "Habit of Holiness" . It does provide a very simplified form of the hours but I've found it a good manual of personal prayers.

Very useful as a collection of private devotions inspired by the public liturgies and a companion to grow with. Amazon has sample pages.

Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone got the new improved(300 extra pages!) Byzantine Catholic Horologion from Sophia Press yet?

I am drooling, but unfortunately the advert does not show any sample pages of the book, and I do like to "see" things first ....... it does look good though!

[ 20. April 2010, 10:58: Message edited by: Boadicea Trott ]

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JSwift:
Hello all,

I'm looking for advice on praying through the daily offices. No matter what prayer book I use I find that I am rushing through the various offices due to time constraints. I end up skipping parts within each of the hours. With children and a career there isn't much I can do about the time crunch, at least for the next few years. So, should I continue to try and pray as many of the offices as possible while skipping parts or should I focus on one or occassionally even two of the hours? Your input is much appreciated.

I would say stick to what you can do fully and do it as prayerfully as you can. I'd agree with MartinL (of course) in suggesting that you stick to the one or two hours that you can do regularly and substantially. Personally, I find that Lauds and Vespers from the Roman Breviary bookend my working day nicely (I still haven't got weekends and holidays taped properly yet) and perhaps you might find something similar? Conversely, you might find that something like Compline at the very close of the day works for you. If having regular prayer space through the day is important to you but you don't have time for the relevant hour, perhaps you might consider just a short prayer which uses the time you have, rather than abbreviating the office there?

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Abbreviated offices aren't such a bad thing. The "Magnificat' devotional booklets give good models of how offices can be shortened. The result is not necessarily 'Office Lite' when the shortened material gives time to 'read, mark and inwardly digest'. They have the April book online for free here . Do take a look.
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A quick thanks for the helpful responses.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're very welcome. Do let us know what you decide and how you get on. Over Lent I tried the 1950 English translation of the Roman Breviary published in the US by Nelson and I did find it hard going, especially as I didn't have an Ordo to help me identify what observance trumped what, so I certainly sympathise with struggling with the office! This also influenced my views about abbreviating individual hours - trying to do it myself "on the hoof" I found unsatisfying, but I am sure that the sort of purpose-designed resource that DitzySpike has kindly shared is much better - indeed I have used a shortened office in the form of the Liturgical Press' "Short Breviary" with profit in the past, and I cut my teeth on the Little Office of Our Lady.

On another note, I recently acquired (thanks to Alan and Margaret Edwards of A&M Books - contact details available via the link in my sig.) a 1953 translation of the Divine Office for Anglican Nuns which I am quite looking forward to dipping into, although I probably shan't use it.

--------------------
Catholic books

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

Just received my copy of the latest edition of The Daily Office SSF.

I haven't had a chance to study it properly yet but it looks interesting. Has anyone else obtained a copy yet?

I believe this is the third edition of the Franciscan office book. I vaguely remember the first one when it was in use in the 1980s, which was much slimmer and was derived from the ASB daily offices. The second edition was basically Celebrating Common Prayer with additional Franciscan material.

Unlike the previous two books, which I think could only be obtained from the Society of St Francis themselves, the new book seems to be available for purchase by the general public through the usual booksellers such as Amazon and Waterstones. This would appear to provide the C of E with another office book as an alternative to Common Worship;Daily Prayer (with which it shares much material) with a somewhat more "monastic" ethos.

I wonder if any other Anglican religious communities will adopt the new Franciscan publication?

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Just received my copy of the latest edition of The Daily Office SSF.

I haven't had a chance to study it properly yet but it looks interesting. Has anyone else obtained a copy yet?

I'm still in pre-order status on Amazon.com, which says it will ship about May 25. How did you get one?
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

Hi Oblatus,

I ordered my copy of The Daily Office SSF online from Waterstone's, the UK bookshop chain.

Christmas seems to have come early (or late), as my set of The Liturgy of the Hours for Africa also arrived this afternoon, which I've already used for Prayer during the Day!!

Did you manage to order a set for yourself OK?

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Hi Oblatus,

I ordered my copy of The Daily Office SSF online from Waterstone's, the UK bookshop chain.

Christmas seems to have come early (or late), as my set of The Liturgy of the Hours for Africa also arrived this afternoon, which I've already used for Prayer during the Day!!

Did you manage to order a set for yourself OK?

Wow...it's great to be you today, eh? [Smile] I need to go green with envy for a moment: [Razz]

I've held off on ordering the African LotH in order to pay some other bills, and I wanted to see whether our local Pauline Books & Music had it in stock (they didn't).

I'm mainly interested in the Revised Grail Psalter, which unless I get the African set, I'll have to wait a while to see, I gather.

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

I note that the new edition of The Daily Office SSF now has the traditional Latin anthems for use after Compline, which is nice.

It's a pity that it does not have any hymns included for use with Morning and Evening Prayer, although they are included for Midday Prayer and Compline. This might have been an opportunity to provide some good modern translations of some of the traditional Latin office hymns.

The overall layout is very reminiscent of Celebrating Common Prayer, with the offices for each day of the week being assigned a different theme. One drawback is that unlike CCP no biblical lectionary is included within the book itself; you have to obtain the current ordo from the SSF or the C of E, or whatever province of the Anglican Communion you are currently resident in.

Unilke CCP there are no short readings for use at and MP and EP for the convenience of travellers; this is something else which might usefully have been included.

I think the original CCP psalter was much the same as that in the 1979 ECUSA BCP and the 1984 Canadian BAS, whereas that in the new Franciscan book is that of CWDP.

Overall, the book is quite nicely printed; I remember that the quality of the paper used for the original edition of CCP back in the 1990s was not particularly good, and seemed slightly rough and ready.

The news DOSSF has a good deal of useful material which might be used in conjunction with any of the current editions of the LOH, such as the prayers for the blessing of the light, the Angelus, and various prayers for use after the office.

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

I ordered mine from the UK amazon site; it's just been dispatched.
Ignatius' Acolyte
Shipmate
# 12426

- Posted      Profile for Ignatius' Acolyte   Author's homepage   Email Ignatius' Acolyte   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I note that the new edition of The Daily Office SSF now has the traditional Latin anthems for use after Compline, which is nice.

It's a pity that it does not have any hymns included for use with Morning and Evening Prayer, although they are included for Midday Prayer and Compline. ...

I do recall that CW:DP did have hymns for evening prayer on a seasonal basis only--which is more than what CCP and DOSSF had to offer!

Interesting review of the new DOSSF, though. Putting the (other) Latin antiphons after Compline is something I hoped they would include, because past rubrical references in CCP, for example, make references to them. Regina coeli laetere and Salve Regina were included before, but not grouped after Compline.

--------------------
Be a blessing.

Posts: 427 | From: Quezon City, the Philippines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

One other thing which occures to me about The Liturgy of the Hours for Africa is that it only has three page marker ribbons per volume; I personally would have found perhaps another two a bit handier!!

On the other hand, this is slightly better than the French Liturgie des Heures, which has only two ribbons per volume, which means I have to resort to the use of several holy cards when I use it!!

The new Daily Office SSF is a slimmer book but is generously provided with marker ribbons, as was Common Worship; Daily Prayer!

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One other thing which occures to me about The Liturgy of the Hours for Africa is that it only has three page marker ribbons per volume; I personally would have found perhaps another two a bit handier!!

Breviaries never have enough bookmarks.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
quote:

Breviaries never have enough bookmarks.
Six would be good for me, although I could use 8-9):

Ordinary (constant part)
Ordinary (seasonal part)
Psalter
Common of the Saints
Proper of the Season
Propoer of the Saints

--------------------
Catholic books

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

My copy of Daily Office SSF just arrived.

Here are some things that I noticed. The typesetting is much nicer than its predecessors -- somewhat like Celebrating Daily Prayer. Gone, happily, are the clip-art images too [Smile]

Marian anthems are provided in both Latin and English - nice touch.

The psalms are no longer printed together with the ordinary of the hours but are grouped in a section. This requires some book flipping, one inconvenience that makes one miss the older books. However, this allows flexibility for communities to use their own psalm scheme. The rubrics refers us to the Common Worship lectionary and the CCP psalm schema is given in a table at the back of the book.

The calendar uses the Common Worship provision plus Franciscan addition. The sanctoral provides propers for these festivals and commemorations but not those in the 'supplementary list'. Which is more than enough material.

Te Deum no longer begins with 'You are God, we praise you'. Furthermore, there are interpretive paraphrases given for the Gospel canticles (and the Te Deum), done up by Jim Cotter.

The Temporal provides the option of 2 collects for the Sundays. The alternative collect is often one that comes from women-oriented reading of the themes of the day.

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

My mistake: Only the Latin Salve Regina is given, but all English translations are available.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

I was pouting about amazon.co.uk selling the Daily Office SSF already and amazon.com saying it was not going to be released until May 18, so I emailed amazon.com. The reply:

Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.jp, and Amazon.com are separate and independent sites. Items ordered through these sites will be sent from fulfillment centers in Canada, the U.K., Germany, France, Japan, and the U.S., respectively; we cannot transfer items from one country's website to another. Because each website obtains items from local suppliers, there will always be some titles that are available on one site but not through the others. If you would like to purchase a specific item, you will need to order it from the site where it is listed. order# 002-5686060-XXXXXXX: "Daily Office Ssf" hasn't been released yet and the expected release date is not known. We'll make sure to update our website listing when we know more. We rely on publisher for the release date information. Once this item has been released and we receive copies, we will be able to ship it to you. It is not uncommon for there to be a delay of several weeks between the release and distribution of a new publication.

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
I was pouting about amazon.co.uk selling the Daily Office SSF already and amazon.com saying it was not going to be released until May 18, so I emailed amazon.com. The reply:

Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.jp, and Amazon.com are separate and independent sites. Items ordered through these sites will be sent from fulfillment centers in Canada, the U.K., Germany, France, Japan, and the U.S., respectively; we cannot transfer items from one country's website to another. Because each website obtains items from local suppliers, there will always be some titles that are available on one site but not through the others. If you would like to purchase a specific item, you will need to order it from the site where it is listed. order# 002-5686060-XXXXXXX: "Daily Office Ssf" hasn't been released yet and the expected release date is not known. We'll make sure to update our website listing when we know more. We rely on publisher for the release date information. Once this item has been released and we receive copies, we will be able to ship it to you. It is not uncommon for there to be a delay of several weeks between the release and distribution of a new publication.

I had much the same frustration when the Apocryphile Press edition of Peter F. Anson's "Bishops at Large" came out and there was a gap of months between the US and UK Amazon releases. Eventually - as the message suggests - I weakened and bought my copy from Amazon US (ironically enough only shortly before getting a good original edition) but the drawback is, of course, the shipping price is substantially greater. The inventory of secondhand book titles against which you can buy and/or list also differs between Amazon sites, which is both frustrating and not particularly reasonable, as far as I can see.

--------------------
Catholic books

Peregrinus Balticus
Apprentice
# 14728

- Posted      Profile for Peregrinus Balticus   Email Peregrinus Balticus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Coming in two years or so after the most recent post!]
I use CW:DP for a 'decent' office in the morning: being a morning-person I am happy to start the day with an unrushed office, with a decent helping of psalms and readings. When traveling I use CCP:pocket, but rather agree that in the Seasons it gets repetitive, so have gone to the trouble of having alternate Canticles with me.

If I have time for an office later in the day, I've recently signed up to Universalis, which provides the Roman Hours with all the psalms and Canticles and scriptural texts without needing to look anything up. I've got it both on my laptop and on my iPhone.

Posts: 13 | From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have your laptop with you there's no need to deprive yourself of Daily Prayer, just log on to:

http://www.cofe.anglican.org/worship/dailyprayer/

ETA: Welcome aboard!

[ 01. May 2010, 12:27: Message edited by: +Chad ]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

From information given in the latest edition of The Daily Office SSF I understand that the first edition was published in 1970, which means that there were three previous editions before the current one.

I vaguely remember the second edition being used by a small SSF community (now sadly disbanded) in my nearest city; I think that this book was based on the ASB daily offices with some additional material.

I understood from other sources that prior to 1970 the SSF had no breviary or office book of their own, but simply used BCP matins and evensong, with Prime and Hours sometimes used for the lesser hours.

Is anyone familiar with the first edition of the SSF office book from 1970? I wonder if it might have had some resemblance to Prime and Hours.

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
had much the same frustration when the Apocryphile Press edition of Peter F. Anson's "Bishops at Large" came out and there was a gap of months between the US and UK Amazon releases. Eventually - as the message suggests - I weakened and bought my copy from Amazon US (ironically enough only shortly before getting a good original edition) but the drawback is, of course, the shipping price is substantially greater. The inventory of secondhand book titles against which you can buy and/or list also differs between Amazon sites, which is both frustrating and not particularly reasonable, as far as I can see. [/QB]

Have you checked out bookdepository.com? Delivery might even be free.
achew
Apprentice
# 9924

- Posted      Profile for achew   Email achew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have just received my copy of Daily Office SSF - (Thanks, DitzySpike, for your suggestion on obtaining it through CH) nice print and layout, but its disappointing that the original schema of the CCP psalter has been placed right at the back and in landscape orientation, making it rather difficult to access. It would have been more accessible if it were inserted where the psalter is.

Having the psalter at the second section of the book is a good idea and six ribbons surely makes all the difference!

The prayers section is abundant with both old and new prayers, but what is sadly missing are the intercessions and great litany. These were in CCP and in Common Worship:DP It would have been would have been nice to have them in place in Daily Office SSF!

Posts: 5 | From: Singapore | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

Hey achew. Oh dear. CW:DP, DOSFF, and CCP in one paragraph. We might have just started a cluster of breviarititis.
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You're very welcome. Do let us know what you decide and how you get on. Over Lent I tried the 1950 English translation of the Roman Breviary published in the US by Nelson and I did find it hard going, especially as I didn't have an Ordo to help me identify what observance trumped what, so I certainly sympathise with struggling with the office!

The Anglican Breviary, thich is a slight adaption of the Pius X Breviary, or the 1963 Collegeville translation of the "new" 1960 Roman Breviary are a lot easier to live with. The rubrics of the 1954 Anglican Breviary are much clearer than those of its Roman counterpart, so the major complexity is mastering the three methods by which the office is read - simple, semi-double and double. It costs about $80.00 from http://www.anglicanbreviary.net

I think it is Baronius Press that has recent republished the bilingual Collegeville Breviary. I think they retain the Pian translation of the Psalms, but if you are reciting in English that is not an issue.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
You're very welcome. Do let us know what you decide and how you get on. Over Lent I tried the 1950 English translation of the Roman Breviary published in the US by Nelson and I did find it hard going, especially as I didn't have an Ordo to help me identify what observance trumped what, so I certainly sympathise with struggling with the office!

The Anglican Breviary, thich is a slight adaption of the Pius X Breviary, or the 1963 Collegeville translation of the "new" 1960 Roman Breviary are a lot easier to live with. The rubrics of the 1954 Anglican Breviary are much clearer than those of its Roman counterpart, so the major complexity is mastering the three methods by which the office is read - simple, semi-double and double. It costs about $80.00 from http://www.anglicanbreviary.net

I think it is Baronius Press that has recent republished the bilingual Collegeville Breviary. I think they retain the Pian translation of the Psalms, but if you are reciting in English that is not an issue.

PD

Sage advice, thank you. I'm on the lookout still for an inexpensive original (Frank Gavin) edition of the Anglican Breviary to round out my collection and if I do get one will certainly give it a try. I agree with you regarding the 1964 (I think) Collegeville/Liturgical Press breviary - it is much easier to navigate and I am using it at the moment. Not being a Latinist I don't mind the Pian psalter. Regarding Baronius Press, I understand from this page that their edition is still in preparation and will differ from the Liturgical Press edition in some significant respects, of which use of the Gallican psalter is the most significant. I wish them well with it, although I will stick with what I have, I think.

--------------------
Catholic books

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Baronius Press has been sending updates on the reprint of the John XXIII Breviary for ages. I thought they had got the flipping thing out, but apparently not. It seems to be in that same limbo as the ACC:DNO reprint of the American Missal. I think the last hitch was finding an ecclesiastical censor who was conversant enough with the traditional breviary to give it the "nihi obstat."

I have a bit of a peculiar relationship with the 1960 Breviary. I like its comparitive simplicity, but like the 1970 LOTH its calendar is enough at odds with the traditional BCP Calendar that it can be a problem. For example, on April 25th I would have said the office for Easter III, but the Mass for St. Mark. My own solution has been to use Anglican Breviary but according the 1960 rules. However, when a discrepency arises between the 1928 BCP and 1962 Calendars as to the rank of a Sunday, I follow the BCP. I know it is quirky, but it at least it solves the Kalendar problem.

PD

[ 06. May 2010, 06:01: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Baronius Press has been sending updates on the reprint of the John XXIII Breviary for ages. I thought they had got the flipping thing out, but apparently not. It seems to be in that same limbo as the ACC:DNO reprint of the American Missal. I think the last hitch was finding an ecclesiastical censor who was conversant enough with the traditional breviary to give it the "nihi obstat."

I have a bit of a peculiar relationship with the 1960 Breviary. I like its comparitive simplicity, but like the 1970 LOTH its calendar is enough at odds with the traditional BCP Calendar that it can be a problem. For example, on April 25th I would have said the office for Easter III, but the Mass for St. Mark. My own solution has been to use Anglican Breviary but according the 1960 rules. However, when a discrepency arises between the 1928 BCP and 1962 Calendars as to the rank of a Sunday, I follow the BCP. I know it is quirky, but it at least it solves the Kalendar problem.

PD

The perils of being biritual...

I get along fine with it, given that I don't mind being occasionally out of sync. in my private devotion with my diocesan calendar.

There are a few mistakes in the Hours of the Divine Office which I hope that Baronius Press will be able to sort out in their new edition. I will be interested to see if they do. As an aside, I understand that the Benziger Brothers Roman Breviary of the same year is a more pleasurable read in English, (a more literary translation, with versified hymns) although I have never obtained a copy to check for myself.

--------------------
Catholic books

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

There are comparitively few disceptencies between the BCP/American Missal Calendar and the Breviary, though a lot of the classifications for feasts are different. Early May is one of the few times the two get out of sync. due to the introduction of "San Giuseppe Comunista" and the moving of Sts Philip and James to the 11th. As the Anglican Breviary has no propers for St. Joe the Worker (iy dates from the very early fifties) I do Philip and James and May 11th is a Feria.

Yes, the Benzigers translation is better than Collegeville, but I think there is some sort of copyright hang up with the Benziger's version. This is, so often, the reason inferior translations and editions survive.

PD

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*approaches subject from a position of extreme mystification*

Rather than buying multiple editions, why not desktop publish a version that incorporates your particular preferences ? And/or have your edited text properly set and bookbound. (Yes relatively expensive, but you would not do it often.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:

Rather than buying multiple editions, why not desktop publish a version that incorporates your particular preferences ? And/or have your edited text properly set and bookbound. (Yes relatively expensive, but you would not do it often.)

Ah, but for the breviary addict, the proper number to own is "just one more..."

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

quote:

1. Doing your own thing is traditionally frowned upon by the Church
2. Some of us prefer paper to screens

BTW, the reason I use the Anglican Breviary with the 1960 rules is that the province I belong to recommends and uses a rubrical guide from 1964 (Ritual Notes 11) which incorporates the changes made 1954-1963. I may piss and moan about some of the changes, but that is the accepted standard even though we are not held to it with any strictness.

PD

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I get that, what I meant was that you could produce your own book using a desktop publishing applicaiton adn then print it for use. And I was more thinking in terms of the layout issues often mentioned here rather than the textual content.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

quote:
I get that, what I meant was that you could produce your own book using a desktop publishing applicaiton adn then print it for use. And I was more thinking in terms of the layout issues often mentioned here rather than the textual content.

Ah, that makes more sense to me. However, I find that I can get used to just about any book that is not totally illogical. That said, there are a few that are "more awkward than they should be" including the altar edition of the Anglican Missal.

PD

--------------------

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

Just a note to say that there is a copy of the rather rarely-found Day Hours of the Church of England on eBay at the moment.

--------------------
Catholic books

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

Already got it!!!

Mine isn't the pocket edition, though.

It strikes me that this would be a good title for a publisher such as Lancelot Andrewes Press to reprint.

Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have one too, though not the pocket edition.

I find the print size in the normal edition quute small enough as it is........

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016