homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Daily Office (yet again) (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Daily Office (yet again)
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

- Posted      Profile for Eddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it wonderful that so many people say the daily office but not in church, privately.

In a friend's church I went to a gathering with evening prayer. There was peaceful recorded music, a short psalm, a poem, a Bible reading, short biddings with silences and a prayer at the end.

I liked that, but don't have the resource for it.

Is there a good resource for this kind of regular prayer.

I use the Divine Office quite a bit but would like an alternative that is less psalms, more pause, some non scriptural readings - poems etc.

I know that some people really like lots of psalms and I'm not arguing on that. I'm just asking where a alternative resource can be found.

Posts: 3237 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddy:
I use the Divine Office quite a bit but would like an alternative that is less psalms, more pause, some non scriptural readings - poems etc.

I know that some people really like lots of psalms and I'm not arguing on that. I'm just asking where a alternative resource can be found.

Have a look at the simple celebration laid out in a section of Celebrating Common Prayer. It's given in full at that link, but the format is slightly off. This material in the book itself is formatted to make two-sided cards that can be used instead of books; those assigned to read a psalm, canticle, poem, prayer, etc., would have the book they need and the place marked. The idea is a simple form that doesn't rely too heavily on everyone finding the right place in a book, and lots of time for silent reflection.
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

- Posted      Profile for Eddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thats great Oblaus and I have come across that style somewhere.

Does this sort of thing give space for poetry and none scripture reading as well? Is there a website for resources of poetry and other such readings for the Daily Office/

Posts: 3237 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just noticed that Universalis now includes quite decent office hymns for every hour, of the sort that Fr. Hunwicke recommends in his Ordo. Does anyone know when they were introduced, and from what source? Now that they are included, I may never use an office book again.
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
You're very welcome. Do let us know what you decide and how you get on.

I've settled on using this site for the abbreviated morning and evening prayers they offer. I've found that as with exercise, I need to find the time and force myself to do it until I make it a habit. It may not be the ideal situation but at this point I figure it is better than nothing. Thanks again for the advice.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JSwift:
quote:
You're very welcome. Do let us know what you decide and how you get on.

I've found that as with exercise, I need to find the time and force myself to do it until I make it a habit.
Amen to that! Looks like a good site to choose as well - thanks for sharing it, and best of luck!

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
scribbler
Shipmate
# 12268

- Posted      Profile for scribbler   Email scribbler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it's been mentioned on this particular thread, but the Lancelot Andrewes Press BCP has nice, mildly souped-up version of Morning and Evening Prayer, based on the 1928 American edition. Some of the daily office extras include daily Old Testament canticles for morning prayer; orders for prime, sext and compline; and prayers for the dead and Marian antiphons at Evening Prayer. I've definitely found it worth the $15 (inc. U.S. shipping) for the fresh typesetting alone.
Posts: 309 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
I was pouting about amazon.co.uk selling the Daily Office SSF already and amazon.com saying it was not going to be released until May 18, so I emailed amazon.com.

Looks like the gap is widening. The estimated shipping date had been yesterday, but today they asked me to decide whether to keep waiting or cancel. I'll keep waiting, but this certainly is strange, as the book exists on the planet and could presumably be stocked in Amazon's warehouses.

Paper books are looking quainter by the day with this sort of problem!

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Extol:
I just noticed that Universalis now includes quite decent office hymns for every hour, of the sort that Fr. Hunwicke recommends in his Ordo. Does anyone know when they were introduced, and from what source? Now that they are included, I may never use an office book again.

I rather like the Universalis site. Their translation of the psalms isn't bad either, but then I have never been a fan of the Grail translation. I am now back into my post-Pentecost rhythm of reading MP and EP from the BCP, and Office of Readings, Noon Prayer and Compline from LOTH. Personally, I rather like the Office of Readings - it is one of the best things to come out of the post-Vatican II reform apart from those tedious few weeks wen they try and overdose us on drivel - I mean documents - from the Council.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

I've received my long-awaited copy of the newly revised The Daily Office SSF, resplendent in Franciscan brown with tau-shaped cross on the front. I like it a lot, especially the improved paper and the Gill Sans type, although they still should have searched for extra spaces between words sometimes, but I am hypersensitive to such things.

One hearty chuckle happened when I went to place a ribbon in the "Festivals and Lesser Festivals" section and saw that 31 May is "The Visit of the BVM to Elizabeth II." I thought I had really missed a major story! Then I realized it's "The Visit of the BVM to Elizabeth," and it's a II Class feast day. [Big Grin]

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my favourite prayers from The Daily Office SSF is the one at the conclusion of the office asking for the intercession of the saints. I often use this as a final blessing when praying the RC LOH, especially on feasts and memorials of saints.
Posts: 235 | From: Nowhere in Particular | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

Here's my take on the new Daily Office SSF. This will repeat some points made in this thread by others and is a copy of a post I made in another liturgical forum...my apologies for repurposing it here, but I thought some might find it useful...

The biggest change -- the one heavy users of Celebrating Common Prayer (CCP) or the almost identical Daily Office SSF of which CCP was an edition would notice the most -- is that the lectionary and psalm schedule are gone from within the book: it's assumed users of this new Daily Office SSF will use the lectionary of Common Worship, which is published as a separate volume in various editions (I have the one by Fr. John Hunwicke titled Order for the Eucharist and for Morning and Evening Prayer in the Church of England 2010). According to the CW lectionary, today's MP psalms would have been 143 and 146 (and 148 if you add a Laudate Psalm as suggested within The Daily Office SSF); lessons would have been Josh. 4:1 to 5:1 and Lk 9:51-end. Guidance to choice of canticles is, however provided in The Daily Office SSF: this morning (Form 5, for Thursdays in Ordinary Time, it's 13 A Song of the Covenant or 26 A Song of Tobit).

The calendar is up front now, and the list of optional commemorations seems to have grown; it looks almost like our Episcopal Church calendar must look with all the Holy Women, Holy Men commemorations in it (I haven't actually seen a calendar with HW, HM items in it, though).

The devotional material seems like it's expanded a bit, and the Franciscan material seems like more than what was in the previous Daily Office SSF. There are Franciscan documents for First Order SSF and Third Order SSF people, divided up for reading of daily excerpts.

The psalter is now that of Common Worship: Daily Prayer, I believe, rather than the previous lightly adapted version of the USA BCP 1979 psalter. I don't see a heavy emphasis on using more inclusive language beyond what was done in CCP.

The paper is nicer and smoother than CCP, and the binding seems very sturdy. The typography is very similar to that of Common Worship: Daily Prayer; i.e., Gill Sans rather than Palatino. Some might find the Gill Sans a bit small.

One thing I haven't seen that I think was an important part of CCP is the shorter forms of the Offices for small groups...this was a significant contribution to resources for praying the office daily with a group in a less monastic style: a smaller psalm distribution was given, and the intent was that the people have a two-sided card as a guide through the Office (eventually not needing it once some parts were memorized) and that individuals would take the roles of psalm reader, canticle reader, lector, prayer reader, and so on, so they'd come in, pick up a marked book and/or a card, and pray a contemplative office together, with no attempt to cover the entire psalter over any period of time. I personally find it important to pray the whole psalter but also very much respect this other style of praying daily with a group of people.

Overall, I'd say The Daily Office SSF 2010 is a worthy successor to the previous editions of it and CCP; mainly you have to decide whether you want to have to consult the CW lectionary...or of course you can use the BCP 1979 lectionary or any other scheme of psalms and lessons. The new book does have an "alternative table of psalms" at the back of the book; it might be a table-ized version of the CCP psalm scheme; I'll have to study that and find out. There's a temporal table and an ordinary time table.

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[The Daily Office SSF's] calendar is up front now, and the list of optional commemorations seems to have grown; it looks almost like our Episcopal Church calendar must look with all the Holy Women, Holy Men commemorations in it (I haven't actually seen a calendar with HW, HM items in it, though).

Oblatus, are the modern Roman commemorations largely included? If one wanted to use the book according to, say, Fr. Hunwicke's Romanized Anglican calendar, could one?

Also, how big is the book? Thanks as always--

[ 28. May 2010, 13:11: Message edited by: Extol ]

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Oblatus, are the modern Roman commemorations largely included? If one wanted to use the book according to, say, Fr. Hunwicke's Romanized Anglican calendar, could one? Also, how big is the book? Thanks as always--

The introduction to the Calendar says: "This Calendar is essentially that of Common Worship. It has been augmented to include celebrations of Franciscan saints of the three Orders as well as significant lives in the history of the Religious Life."

I wouldn't say it covers all the Roman Catholic observances, but it does cover those that are Franciscan in some way. It also has a full provision for Corpus Christi.

The book is about the size of the main volume of Common Worship but perhaps a little heavier. It has 825 pages.

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's the Sacred Heart called this time? Is it Divine Compassion* still?

Thurible

* I think that's what it was called in CCP

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
What's the Sacred Heart called this time? Is it Divine Compassion* still?

Thurible

* I think that's what it was called in CCP

Took a while to find it, but it's on p. 599:

The Divine Compassion of Christ II
Friday after the First Sunday After Trinity
Form 6 is used for all offices.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One hearty chuckle happened when I went to place a ribbon in the "Festivals and Lesser Festivals" section and saw that 31 May is "The Visit of the BVM to Elizabeth II." I thought I had really missed a major story! Then I realized it's "The Visit of the BVM to Elizabeth," and it's a II Class feast day. [Big Grin]

I believe the late HRH Princess Margaret was the Anglo-Catholic of the two. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of years ago I absent mindedly put May 29th - (Restoration of the Monarchy, 1660) in the parish calendar. That would have been OK except my parish is in the USA. In my defense I can say that my use of round brackets usually indicates an abrogated or suppressed holyday.

PD

--------------------

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
A couple of years ago I absent mindedly put May 29th - (Restoration of the Monarchy, 1660) in the parish calendar. That would have been OK except my parish is in the USA. In my defense I can say that my use of round brackets usually indicates an abrogated or suppressed holyday.

PD

British history is American history too, in those years, anyway. You could have saved face in July with: July 4th - (Resuppression of the Monarchy, 1776). [Razz]

I don't know about continuing Anglicans, but the local Episcopalians relish in conversation about English church tradition. They probably wouldn't have batted an eyelid at what you did accidentally.

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

I am probably less pro-English than most of my congregation. One of the royal pain in the arse aspects of my ancestry is that my mother's family is Irish Protestant. Not the Ulster variety, but the Leinster variety that believed in Home Rule until it became Rome Rule.

PD

--------------------

Burbling Psalmist
Shipmate
# 9514

- Posted      Profile for Burbling Psalmist   Email Burbling Psalmist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advice please: I was, for a while, a Church of England ordinand and before that worked in a parish. It didn't work out and it's the laity for me for a while yet, but it left me with a habit of saying the office from Common Worship Daily Prayer.

Currently, I do this at home and the pile at the side of my favourite chair consists of:

• CW Daily Prayer
  • NRSV
  • Paperback Lectionary; and
  • A Book of Hours from Thomas Merton

From September, I'll be commuting and will have no choice but to pray MP and EP on the train. I've tried printing out Dave Goode's Excellent Site but don't like saying the office from a few bits of flimsy printout.

What, please, are the other options?

BP

--------------------
"And the greatness of the great Christian saints lies in their readiness to be questioned, judged, stripped naked and left speechless by what lies at the centre of their faith" - Rowan Williams

Posts: 183 | From: Cambridge | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Burbling Psalmist:
Advice please...BP

If you're not committed to Common Worship, I could highly recommend the Contemporary Office Book, which features Rite 2 Morning Prayer, Rite 2 Evening Prayer, Compline, the Sunday Collects, the Psalter, and the NRSV readings (not just citations) from the Daily Office lectionary in the American BCP79 (see link, p.25). What you'd be missing are Merton's Book of Hours or a set of patristic readings. It would be a nice (albeit a bit fat) travel-size book.

For a slightly smaller book, but with patristic and other readings, there's Benedictine Daily Prayer.

Also, have you looked into a combination book that includes your preferred office ordo plus the entire NRSV Bible? The BCP79 can be purchased together with full NRSV. A magnifying card would make a good bookmark.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Burbling Psalmist: if you can cope with a restricted selection of short bible passages, you can use CW M and EP with the short readings given under Prayer During the Day. This would mean you needed only one book. Maybe some day someone will produce a combined bible and office book including CW, that would be the equivalent of the office books that many Anglican clergy used to use - BCP and AV. But it would be a bit cumbersome.

If you value the continuous reading of books of the bible as per the lectionary (which is a good tradition and one embedded in Anglicanism) you've really either got to resign yourself to carrying two books around with you (plus a printed lectionary, unless you've got it loaded on your iPhone), or else to saying the office as above then reading (at least some of) the full lections when you're at home.

That is basically what the RC Daily Office provides: Morning and Evening Prayer each with a short reading, and the Office of Readings with two fairly long readings (one non-biblical). You could switch to that, which would mean buying three rather expensive,but well-produced, volumes. They divide the year between them so that you only need one book at a time.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
quote:

I believe the late HRH Princess Margaret was the Anglo-Catholic of the two. [Big Grin]
What, the badly-behaved one who lived on fags on GIN? Big surprise there, no? [Razz]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
What, the badly-behaved one who lived on fags on GIN? Big surprise there, no? [Razz]

I wasn't implying...you inferred. [Paranoid]
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Burbling Psalmist:
What, please, are the other options?

You could get away with a single volume of NT + Psalms and achieve a fairly coherent office, and as you'll have 50 minutes onthe train [Smile] you should have enough time.

The morning can be opened with Ps 95, 24. 100 or 51 as the seasons require

The psalmody can be completed in a month in this manner: take the day of the month and this will be your first psalm. Then add thirty to get the second, another thirty for the third and so on, till you have five psalms. Use a couple in the morning and evening, and one at lunch time. But note two things:

- on the 29th day, don't try reading all of Psalm 119; better to reserve that psalm as a whole for a 31st day of the month

- on the 18th day, use Ps 18 in the morning (because of its length) and drop psalm 78 (again, too long)

There's an ancient Orthodox practice which gets you through the NT in 14 weeks or so if you read only on weekdays - one chapter of a Gospel, and 2 chapters from Acts-Revelation (although I think you have to read 7 chapters at the end of Rev on single day to make this work). So Gospel in the morning, Apostle in the evening.

Canticles are obviously in the NT - Ben at MP, Beatitudes at lunchtime, Mag in the evening.

And then some prayers and the Our Father.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

I recently discovered this breviary on Lulu, which includes the complete US 1928 BCP Daily Offices, including the complete Psalter and all readings, as well as the offices of the sick and the dead. Noonday and Afternoon Prayer have been added, as well as Compline. The book was edited for use in this diocese, whose Metropolitan appears to be part of that delightful family of vagantes eccentrics who are also royalty.
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
books...bibles...lectionaries...hymnals..ordo..

If only the CofE would produce something that is everything in O N E B O O K for the FULL Daily Office (maybe in different volumes like the Roman breviary)acknowledging that probably most people who say the daily office do so pivately.

Personally, anything not in ONE BOOK is disqualified for my own use.

However:

(1)TEC did produce a format like this magnificently with the Daily Office Book.

(2)There WAS an edition of the BCP with the 1922 lectionary combined in one volume.

(3) The Anglican breviary, although rather awkward to travel with is a marvellous publication.

(4) There are abbreviated editions of CWDP but these have spare readings and are not entirely intellectually fulfilling for daily use.

ONE BOOK please liturgical commission

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having said that, the advent of Universalis is wonderful. Just a click on the iphone. ah..

Perhaps the CofE might produce a suitable App for the iphone...but then...not doubt it will be complictaed and inconvenient.

(I remember sedning an email to two sources about the availability of the Daily Office online. A most helpful response came from a RC source; the CofE didn't bother to respond)

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Cambridge UP edition of the BCP does still come with the 1922 lectionary printed in the front, so that could cut it down to two books, if you're happy with the BCP offices.

Alternatively - if you can bear to take a pair of scissors to a book! - you could cut out the current week from the lectionary (and use it as a bookmark too) so as not to have to carry the whole booklet around.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
Perhaps the CofE might produce a suitable [daily office] App for the iphone

The C of E has a rather decent online office here. It can be set up for CW or BCP-style offices, with the current CW lessons.
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

Canterbury Press published an edition of the 1928 BCP with the 1922 Lessons bound with it, but it is very bulky. The same goes for the "American Office Book" published by the Anglican Catholic Church in the 1980s. I have found the best solution is to carry a smallih bible and a smallish BCP slipped into one of those leather bible cover thingies. It is a bit awkward on the bus, but better than trying to cart around a large single volume office book.

PD

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have this NRSV/Apocrypha/BCP 1979 (USA) which just happens to fit with a little wiggle room in this LDS scripture tote. It's my commute Office setup. On days when I don't want to carry my usual messenger bag, I grab my little tote, throw my wallet in the exterior zippered pocket and my cell in that 'wiggle room', and skip merrily on my way.

[ 11. June 2010, 21:00: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
I have this NRSV/Apocrypha/BCP 1979 (USA) which just happens to fit with a little wiggle room in this LDS scripture tote. It's my commute Office setup. On days when I don't want to carry my usual messenger bag, I grab my little tote, throw my wallet in the exterior zippered pocket and my cell in that 'wiggle room', and skip merrily on my way.

Spiffy, thank you so much for plugging this BCP/NRSV volume. It is precisely what the Daily Office Doctor ordered.

It went out of print and then came back into print about five years ago. I'm hoping that all right-thinking Episcopalians will purchase a few and give them as Epiphany presents so that it forever stays in print.

My scruples are not too numerous for me to hesitate passing an Andrew Jackson over to the Mormon Religious-Industrial Complex, but my current backpack arrangement is satisfactory, so the LDS tote will not go on my list of things to buy.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:

My scruples are not too numerous for me to hesitate passing an Andrew Jackson over to the Mormon Religious-Industrial Complex, but my current backpack arrangement is satisfactory, so the LDS tote will not go on my list of things to buy.

I had to choose between the Mormon Religious-Industrial complex and the Conservative Evangelical Religious-Industrial complex. Mormons just happened to have more totes in the slightly chunkier size needed for the brick that is the 'travel' NRSV/BCP.

I think they're both supplied by the Chinese Sweatshop-Industrial complex, though... so lose-lose all around!

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've recently acquired two new books, which have so far managed to escape the eagle eye of my Dear Husband [Biased]

I am now the possessor of the LA Press "Book of Common Prayer", and of the St Meinrad Archabbey "Liturgy of the Hours for Benedictine Oblates".

Both are beautifully produced and very well-bound. One thing which I was not expecting was them to both be relatively large-format volumes.

It does mean the font size is very nice and clear, and the St Meinrad volume is eminently suitable to reading the Office by candlelight [Overused] but they are slightly unwieldy to handle and not so portable as BDP for instance.

The St Meinrad book has three nice ribbon markers, allowing one to mark the current daily Office within the four week cycle, and two to mark the Marian antiphons and the Psalm tones/ the unchanging Midday Office and Compline.
The Grail psalms are nice, but although I have tried hard, I simply cannot use the Monastery's translations of the Benedictus and Magnificat, and find myself going back to my beloved KJV for those......

I was disappointed that the LA Press BCP had no marker ribbons at all, and my normal system of emergency holy card markers keeps falling on the floor and driving me demented.... I have resorted to buying exorbitantly expensive Post-It sticky tab markers,as the binding is too tight to admit inserting a commercial set of ribbons [Mad] Having said that, the Post-It tabs work very well and I have now put them in all my prayerbooks, even those with ribbon markers.

I do love the very comprehensive selection of "Opening Words" according to season and types of Feasts, but why oh why are these shoved right at the back of the volume, in between the lectionary and the appendix of various Canons of the Mass ? Why couldn't they be put between Morning and Evening Prayer, when they would be used with most effect? I did love seeing the full set of Marian antiphons after Evening prayer [Angel]

Having said that, my copy of Celebrating Common Prayer, which has been languishing on a shelf, unread and unloved, has suddenly become my most cherished vehicle of saying the Office. I am using it for at least 90% of the time and absolutely loving it, finding unsuspected depths in it. If you had told me three years ago that I would be using a modern day English version of the Office, I would have laughed my socks off.......

On a slight tangent, does anyone know where I can buy a decent "holy card" with the Magnificat in KJV or RSV version English on the reverse ??

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:

Well, the description certainly covers some of the Anglo-Catholic clergy I know. I am more the "Real Ale and English Use" subset myself.

My post-Pentecost schedule of using MP and EP from the BCP/1943 Lectionary and LOTH for OOR, Noon Prayer and Compline lasted exactly two weeks. My wife bought me a large print 1662 with the 1922 Table of Lessons in it, and that has bcome my office book. In the twenty odd years I have been reading the Office I have describe almost a full circle. I started out on 1662 BCP with the 1961 Table of Lessons, and have passed through the ASB, US 1928 with 1943 Lectionary, the 1876 FCE BCP with the 1871 Table of Lessons, 1926 Irish BCP, the American 1928 with the '43 Lectionary (again) and now I am back to the 1662/1928 English BCP with the 1922 Lectionary. There have also been brief experiments with the modern New Zealand Prayer Book, LOTH, Anglican Breviary, the US 1928 BCP with its original lectionary. Of the lot I seem to like 1662 BCP with the 1922 or 1961 Table of Lessons best so far. Funny that! I guess I have the Breviary twitch too!

PD

[ 12. June 2010, 15:15: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If one is following the new LOTH, does one read Evening Prayer for the Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary or does one read Evening Prayer I of the Eleventh Sunday in Ordinary Time?
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

- Posted      Profile for RCD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
If one is following the new LOTH, does one read Evening Prayer for the Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary or does one read Evening Prayer I of the Eleventh Sunday in Ordinary Time?

The Sunday, unless the Immaculate Heart is a solemnity by virtue of being a Patron or Titular. I'm guessing it for that reason that the Magnificat antiphon is provided.

[ 13. June 2010, 01:26: Message edited by: RCD ]

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. I read Evening Prayer I for Sunday with a commemoration of the Immaculate Heart by adding the antiphon and collect at the end. Hope that was okay.
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Burbling Psalmist
Shipmate
# 9514

- Posted      Profile for Burbling Psalmist   Email Burbling Psalmist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Belated thanks to all for some interesting and thought provoking suggestions, and for feeding my office-book buying habit... [Smile]

BP

--------------------
"And the greatness of the great Christian saints lies in their readiness to be questioned, judged, stripped naked and left speechless by what lies at the centre of their faith" - Rowan Williams

Posts: 183 | From: Cambridge | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I had some cash left over from a recent holiday I have just invested in a complete set of the latest (2000) edition of the Liturgia Horarum in Latin. I ordered the books online on Saturday evening from Redemptorist Publications, and have just recieved them this afternoon (Tuesday). That's quick service!!!

The books cost £35 Sterling each; that seems to be a good deal cheaper the the price asked for by Pax Books. The volumes have black vinyl covers with red-edged pages and are protected by clear plastic jackets.

Check out the website at [EMAIL]www.rpbooks.co.uk[/EMAIL]

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

Sorry, I meant this for Redemptorist Publications.
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Can anyone tell me whether Fr. Hunwicke's ORDO includes a suggested Office Hymn for the Office of Readings in the LOTH/Divine Office, or just for Lauds and Vespers?
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Of the lot I seem to like 1662 BCP with the 1922 or 1961 Table of Lessons best so far.

Excellency, can you give a brief comparison of the two lectionaries? Fr. Hunwicke suggests that the 1961 is a sound and not terribly pruned version of the 1922, after 40 years of road testing. What are your thoughts?
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Can anyone tell me whether Fr. Hunwicke's ORDO includes a suggested Office Hymn for the Office of Readings in the LOTH/Divine Office, or just for Lauds and Vespers?

Just Morning and Evening Prayer, from the English Hymnal, with parenthetical indication of the equivalent hymn in the New English Hymnal. For instance, for June 11, Sacred Heart:
  • 1 EP (Thursday) H: 419 pt 1 (NEH 385)
  • MP (Friday) H: 419 pt 2 (NEH 386)
  • 2 EP (Friday) H: 419 pt 3 (NEH 385)

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
Thanks. I read Evening Prayer I for Sunday with a commemoration of the Immaculate Heart by adding the antiphon and collect at the end. Hope that was okay.

Just a question from one who is not familiar with the LoTH - in the old breviary, a commemoration included, as well as the antiphon and collect, the versicle and response to the relevant hymn, in the pattern

Antiphon
V./
R./
Let us pray...
Collect

Has the use of the V./ & R./ in commemorations been dropped in the LoTH?

[ 15. June 2010, 20:05: Message edited by: Manipled Mutineer ]

--------------------
Catholic books

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Has the use of the V./ & R./ in commemorations been dropped in the LoTH?

I would say the use of commemorations has largely been dropped. The General Instruction on the Liturgy of the Hours(PDF) does provide for the addition of the saint's hagiographical reading to the Office of Readings during seasons in which such memorials would be suppressed (such as Lent), and at Lauds and Vespers on such occasions, the antiphon and collect of the commemorated saint may be added after the collect of the day. No versicle and response.

Also, when there's more than one optional memorial on a day, one is observed and the others dropped, not commemorated.

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose it has. The general instruction doesn't mention it.
I still do it anyway. I take the V./ and R./ from the responsory after the reading, and generally, I do many more commemorations than are actually allowed.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

Thank you both!

--------------------
Catholic books

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016