homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Daily Office (yet again) (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Daily Office (yet again)
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Extol:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Of the lot I seem to like 1662 BCP with the 1922 or 1961 Table of Lessons best so far.

Excellency, can you give a brief comparison of the two lectionaries? Fr. Hunwicke suggests that the 1961 is a sound and not terribly pruned version of the 1922, after 40 years of road testing. What are your thoughts?
Yes, Fr. Hunwicke's description is accurate. There was general feeling by the mid-1950 that the 1922 Table of Lessons could be improved upon, and so they set to work revising it. It came in at/about the same time as the Series One Communion Office and thus represents the first, and IMHO best stage of the C of E's attempts at Liturgical revision.

Unfortunately I do not have a copy of the 1961 Table handy, so I cannot do the detailed comparison which you request. IIRC, most of the differences between lections are a verse here and a verse there, plus some rearrangement of the order in which the NT is read.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is currently a used set of the 2000 edition of the Liturgia Horarum for sale on eBay with a buy-it-now price of $700!!!!

I don't understand why it is selling for such a high price when a brand-new set can be had for less from Pax Books and for much less from Redemptorist Publications; judging from the pictures the set for sale on eBay is the standard edition and not the de-luxe edition with the leather covers.

It seems to be the case that certain office books can sometimes command very high prices second-hand on eBay even when they are available new for less elsewhere; I think this has also happened with the 1998 reprint of The Anglican Breviary.

Can anyone suggest why this may be?

Posts: 235 | From: Nowhere in Particular | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antiphon:
It seems to be the case that certain office books can sometimes command very high prices second-hand on eBay even when they are available new for less elsewhere; I think this has also happened with the 1998 reprint of The Anglican Breviary.

I think some sellers hope an uninformed buyer will simply be glad to find the book and will bid without researching the price from other sources.
Clavus
Shipmate
# 9427

- Posted      Profile for Clavus   Email Clavus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let alone getting Ibreviary for your IPhone or Google Android smartphone and having the daily office (in Latin if you wish) for free.
Posts: 389 | From: The Indian Summer of the C of E | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

- Posted      Profile for Antiphon   Email Antiphon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Liturgia Horarum is also available online in Latin and French here.
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Liturgy of the Hours seems somehow better when recited or read in Latin. This is avilable as an iphone App.

It almost entirely fits contemporary CofE useage as there Antiphons etc sit ewasily with the Sunday readings etc.

Again, although published in four volumes it has the advantage of being IN ONE BOOK.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question, Shipmates, about the Liturgy of the Hours.

LotH, in its ineffable wisdom, prescribes the psalms and canticle for Sunday Week 1 for solemnities and feasts also. However, after many years of using LotH, I'm finding I look forward to these psalms - and especially the canticle - about as much as I would look forward to my kidneys being gnawed by rats.

Is there a legitimate alternative? Even if I could be rid of the Canticle of Daniel (Benedicite) it would be a great improvement.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
#134 of the GILH suggests you're stuck with them. Could you just be naughty and use the ferial psalter on that day with proper antiphons?

Thurible

[ 21. June 2010, 10:14: Message edited by: Thurible ]

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
quote:

I think some sellers hope an uninformed buyer will simply be glad to find the book and will bid without researching the price from other sources.
Well, there is that. It is also the case that a book is very generally worth more, as a book, than its reprint.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
#134 of the GILH suggests you're stuck with them. Could you just be naughty and use the ferial psalter on that day with proper antiphons?

Thurible

I suppose I could be creative and retranslate the Canticle of Daniel:
quote:
And you, meteorological phenomena, O bless the Lord.
And you, astronomical phenomena, O bless the Lord.
And you, geophysical phenomena, O bless the Lord.
To him be highest glory and praise for ever.

That seems to take care of about two-thirds of it.

[ 21. June 2010, 11:47: Message edited by: Adeodatus ]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

I've certainly seen original editions of The Anglican Breviary published in 1955 for sale on eBay in mint condition which have fetched high prices, including one with a rather nice red leather cover. But at the same time, I think that I have also seen copies of the 1998 reprint for sale which have had high starting prices.

I think that if you have been really keen to get your hands on an out-of-print book for some time, you may be willing to pay a fairly high price for it on eBay or another site whether it is a reprint or an original edition as long as it is in good condition. This would certainly be the case with me!

At the same time, I wouldn't pay an exorbitant price for a used book that was available elsewhere for less brand new.

I do not know if it is sometimes the case that asking prices for original editions come when a brand-new reprint is published; could this have happened with Walsingham Way and Merrily On High by Colin Stephenson?

Office books which I would consider it well worth reprinting include the following:-

The Prayer Book Office by Paul Hartzell; probably the 1963 edition.

The later edition of The Prayer Book Office by Howard Galley, possibly with the addition of office hymns and material from the latest edition of ECUSA's Lesser Feasts and Fasts.

The 1959 edition of The Day Hours of the Church originally published by Mowbray.

And what about a revised edition of The Anglican Breviary in accordance with the rubrics of the 1961 Roman Breviary?

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

I meant to say the asking prices of original editions come DOWN when a brand-new reprint is published .
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
A question, Shipmates, about the Liturgy of the Hours.

LotH, in its ineffable wisdom, prescribes the psalms and canticle for Sunday Week 1 for solemnities and feasts also. However, after many years of using LotH, I'm finding I look forward to these psalms - and especially the canticle - about as much as I would look forward to my kidneys being gnawed by rats.

Is there a legitimate alternative? Even if I could be rid of the Canticle of Daniel (Benedicite) it would be a great improvement.

GILH No. 247 says that you are allowed to use psalms from the same day in another week of the psalter. Personally, I'm more fond of week III.

As to the Latin Liturgia Horarum, the astronomical price is the only reason I don't own any of the volumes. I got my four-volume English set for a measly $92 on e-bay. $92 won't buy you even ONE volume of the Latin edition.(Well, I think it might at Paxbook.)
I can't really understand why the Latin edition always has to be so expensive. Till the price goes down, I'll have to stick with Fr.STravinskas' Lauds and Vespers, supplemented with the commons and propers of the saints in little booklets.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So it does! That's what I get for skim-reading.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I meant to say the asking prices of original editions come DOWN when a brand-new reprint is published .

Tumble in some cases, I would say - I noticed this to some extent with both of Colin Stephenson's books, Merrily on High as well as Walsingham Way, and particularly with H.R.T. Brandreth's Episcopi Vagantes and the Anglican Church (the latter sticks in the mind because with some effort I had tracked down a dustjacketed copy for £30, shortly before the Apocryphile Press reprint kilked the market...)

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What scheme do Breviantics( [Smile] ) use to set their ribbons, please? Is there a 'standard' scheme for a LotH newbie to adopt, I wonder?

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, dear. I hope I'm not a breviantic, but the following helps me:

1. Use more ribbons. Breviaries never come with enough.
  2. Set your ribbons either before reading the office, or set them after an office for the next one.
  3. Use a traveling ribbon that marks where you are in the office itself. When I am using the page, I put that ribbon over the top of the breviary, to get it out of the way. This ribbon is helpful to mark your place for when you need to flip to the proper of the day or the psalter. When you need to flip somewhere else, grab the ribbon, mark the page (leaving it out the side, not the bottom, as you'll return to that page).
  4. Ribbons you haven't used yet stick out the side. Ribbons you have used already (and don't need again until next office) rest snugly between the pages and stick out the bottom.
  5. When I'm out of ribbons, I use index cards. Sometimes this happens with commemorations, when I don't want to lose my regular ferial markers.

[ 27. June 2010, 16:50: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks - to say what I meant to say:

Is there a standard colo(u)r scheme to set one's ribbons?

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:

My apologies. I don't follow a standard, but I come up with ways to remember (like Red=Readings, Purple=Psalter). Along with you, I'll be curious to see what others do.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is what I do:

Red: Temporal. (Proper of time)
White: Sanctoral.(Proper of saints)
Gold/yellow: Psalter
Purple:Commons of the Saints
Blue: Common of the Blessed Virgin.
Black: Office of the Dead.

I also keep a second red ribbon in the Ordinary and a second gold/yellow ribbon to mark Ps.66.(The invitatory)

Also, during advent and lent, I use a different set of ribbons. For those, everything is the same, except the purple ribbon goes in the temporal,and a green ribbon goes in the commons. Sometimes, when I have to make a commemoration of the feria or of an occurring feast, I use a holy card to mark the page.

--------------------

DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some will be interested to know that Episcopalian deacon Ormonde Platter has adapted most of the first three volumes of the new Antiphonale Monasticum to the English of the Book of Common Prayer.

See his web page.

Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alas, I am ribbon-challenged. When reading the LOTH the dangling ribbons are just too much of a temptation to my cats. They are rather worse for the wear. I've started using prayer cards. Much less a near occasion for feline sin.
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
Some will be interested to know that Episcopalian deacon Ormonde Platter has adapted most of the first three volumes of the new Antiphonale Monasticum to the English of the Book of Common Prayer.

See his web page.

[Overused]

This is just amazing. I've imagined doing a similar project, but it's done! And very well!

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

See his web page.

[Overused]

This is just amazing. I've imagined doing a similar project, but it's done! And very well!

Forgive my ignorance--where does one find the office hymns in these files?
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:

Mine are all gold, so that's not a fat lot of help. And there's only three, which I use for the Psalter and the OT/Gospel readings, along with a prayer card for the Epistle. For stuff that doesn't really change, or changes infrequently such as the Collect for the day, I use Post-It brand Durable Tabs.

It ain't pretty, but it works for me.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think there's any standard sort of scheme... My main determinant is that the red one is at the front so fits most easily into the daily readings, the blue one is next so fits into the Invitary... and so on and so forth.

I could do with a couple more though.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my Hours of the Divine Office(pre-Vatican II breviary) the ribbons are provided. I use them as follows, keeping to the order in which they are set in:

1. red - Ordinary of the DO (constant part)
2. black - Psalter
3. green - common of saints
4. white - proper of the season
5. gold - proper of saints

Even so I usually end up with a least one or two prayer cards holding places.

--------------------
Catholic books

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
quote:
quote:

See his web page.

[Overused]

Forgive my ignorance--where does one find the office hymns in these files?
I think he refers the reader to the LH (Liber Hymnarius) or the AM (Antiphonale Monasticum), both published by Solesmes. So he's expecting the hymns to be sung in Latin. I would think the proper office hymns as given in The English Hymnal would work well, too.
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
Alas, I am ribbon-challenged. When reading the LOTH the dangling ribbons are just too much of a temptation to my cats. They are rather worse for the wear. I've started using prayer cards. Much less a near occasion for feline sin.

[Big Grin] Hah i've had exactly the same problem. When i pick the BCP/Bible combo (which has in addition to the ribbons that came with some movable ribbons from another book) if Pulsar sees those ribbons it's like waving a red flag at a bull. She kind of shredded one.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
I can't really understand why the Latin edition always has to be so expensive. Till the price goes down, I'll have to stick with Fr. Stravinskas' Lauds and Vespers, supplemented with the commons and propers of the saints in little booklets.

S. Silas, does Fr. Stravinskas provide Gospel canticle antiphons for all three years?
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

Yes, Fr Stravinskas does indeed provide the gospel canticle antiphons for years A, B and C.
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

quote:
Yes, Fr Stravinskas does indeed provide the gospel canticle antiphons for years A, B and C.

Thanks Antiphon--may I ask, did you ever use his volume for an extended period, and if so, how much did the missing proper of saints affect your use?
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

To be honest, I only ever used Fr Stravinskas' Lauds and Vespers on a fairly limited basis, as I felt that the lack of the propers for saints days did restrict its usefulness, especially after I obtained Les Heures Gregoriennes, which provides all the hours in Latin and French for each day of the year including the feasts of saints, although the psalm antiphons are not the same as those in the Liturgia Horarum.

I often used Lauds and Vespers for EP on Sundays as the second edition does provide Lauds and Vespers for every Sunday in the year, including the seasonal propers for Advent, Christmas, Lent and Easter, and of course the three-year gospel antiphons, but on weekdays I tended to resort to the second-hand four-volume 1973 edition of the Liturgia Horarum which I obtained a number of years ago. I also used this for Compline, which is not included in Fr Stravinskas' book.

I have recently obtained a new set of the 2000 edition of the Liturgia Horarum and have placed my old set in my church library. Therefore, I will probably not use Lauds and Vespers all that much from now on for praying the Office in Latin, although I will still use Fr Stravinskas' translations of the Office Hymns on some occasions when praying the LOH in English, as I do not think much of those provided in the UK, American or African editions.

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is an increasing range of iPhone apps that might be of use of office-sayers, including one specifically for the Daily Office.

It has Morning and Evening Prayer in 'traditional' language, including Psalm, collect etc, but not other Bible readings (for copyright reasons).

It's probably not the sort of thing that the the 'advanced' posters to this thread are likely to use, but might be of greater interest to 'beginners' at the Daily Office, or anyone who wants to be sure of having a form of the Office to hand, even if they don't have access to their books.

And, in case you hadn't already guessed, I wrote it.

Pip, pip.

Chapelhead.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How interesting - I'm always on the lookout for anyting that will help.

Hope it goes well.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

quote:
quote:

Thanks Antiphon--may I ask, did you ever use his volume for an extended period, and if so, how much did the missing proper of saints affect your use?
[Latepost]
If you don't mind me butting in,it is'nt really too noticable until Ordinary Time after Pentecost. During advent,Christmastide,lent, and eastertide,there's so much material that there's little time to get bored, and Ordinary Time after epiphany is a short period. The long, daily ferial offices after Pentecost prompted me to save the material for the commons in a little printable word file to use for the feasts of the saints. (The whole thing is only about 15 pages long.)
If you're lazy, you can always get the sanctoral material from Here.

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have experience of using the Glenstal Abbey prayer book (I think it came out in 2001, with an expanded edition a few years back)? Any good?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

I've just noticed that Midwest Theological Forum has just published a new edition of the Liturgy of the Hours in Latin - the Liturgia Horarum

It comes in a basic hardback edition at $450 and a deluxe leather edition at $900 - I think I'd have to win the lottery before I could obtain the latter!!

I notice that this edition comprises six volumes
rather than the four of the Vatican Press edition. I wonder if this new edition has any significant advantages over the Vatican Press edition; for example, is the standard of printing greatly superior, or is there additional material in this addition such as psalm prayers?

If anyone obtains a set of this new edition it would be interesting to read a review of it. the cheaper of the two MLT editions is in hardback, which might make it better wearing than the vinyl-covered Vatican Press economy ediiton.

Check out the Midwest Theological Forum website here.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
I've just noticed that Midwest Theological Forum has just published a new edition of the Liturgy of the Hours in Latin - the Liturgia Horarum

It comes in a basic hardback edition at $450 and a deluxe leather edition at $900 - I think I'd have to win the lottery before I could obtain the latter!!

I wonder how many of those they expect to sell at these prices. Insane! [Eek!] [Mad]
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

quote:
quote:

I wonder how many of those they expect to sell at these prices. Insane! [Eek!] [Mad]
I'd wager they sell a maximum of five. Seriously, is there Any valid reason why the Latin editions of the hours have to be so expensive?

--------------------

dkpintar
Apprentice
# 14802

- Posted      Profile for dkpintar   Author's homepage   Email dkpintar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have sent an e-mail to Midwest, sasking for details regarding the six-volume LotH; ie: what additional material there is and such.

I'll pass the answer to all of you when I receieve it.

dk

Posts: 41 | From: derby, east midlands, UK | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

As I've said before, I've recently obtained the current four-volume economy Vatican Press edition of the Liturgia Horarum for £35 sterling per volume from Redemptorist Publications, so I can't see myself obtaining even the cheaper of the MTF editions unless it has VERY significant advantages over my current set.

For some time there have been rumours of an alternative cycle of biblical and patristic readings for the Office of Readings, so I don't know if the additional two volumes of the MTF edition contain those. Even if they did, I'd have to be honest and say that that I'd personally find them of comparatively limited use if they were only available in Latin. Even if I pray the psalms of the Office of Readings in Latin, I still use English for the readings themselves.

dkpintar
Apprentice
# 14802

- Posted      Profile for dkpintar   Author's homepage   Email dkpintar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is interesting to note that on Midwest's "ad" for the Liturgia Horarum, they give a page total of about 7200pp in six volumes. The four volume edition from the Vatican has about the same in total.

So we either get more material or larger print. ;-)

--------------------
die 1 martii: Menéviæ in Cámbira, sancti David, epíscopi, qui, exémpla et mores Patrum orientálium ímitans, monastérium, cóndidit, unde permùlti profécti sunt mónachi, qui Cámbriam, Hibérnium, Cornúbiam et Armóricam evangelizárunt.

Posts: 41 | From: derby, east midlands, UK | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
dkpintar
Apprentice
# 14802

I phoned Midwest today. There is nothing new in their publication of Liturgia Horarum. They just decided to spread it out over 6 volumes.

That is just plain dumb I would think.

It nust be said, the person in sales with whom I spoke did not do a good job.

dk

--------------------
die 1 martii: Menéviæ in Cámbira, sancti David, epíscopi, qui, exémpla et mores Patrum orientálium ímitans, monastérium, cóndidit, unde permùlti profécti sunt mónachi, qui Cámbriam, Hibérnium, Cornúbiam et Armóricam evangelizárunt.

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

In that case I'll just stick with the Vatican Press set I already have for the next few years!!!
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

Just dropping in briefly to say that one of our US-based members might be interested in picking up this working copy-edition of the 3 volume Collegeville/Liturgical Press breviary at only $38 with 8 hours to go...

--------------------
Catholic books

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

With reference to an earlier posting, I picked up a copy of the expanded edition of the Glenstal Book of Daily Prayer yesterday.

I would say that it would be a useful simple office book to use while travelling; it has a basic order of MP and EP on a two-week cycle, as well as basic daily orders for Terce, Sext, None and Compline. There is also provision for simple seasonal variations and for the observation of saint's days at MP and EP.

It feels rather like a simplified version of Benedictine Daily Prayer. The inclusive-language version of the Grail psalter is used for the psalms, with the NRSV for the short readings.

I got the hardback edition with a red cover, but I think a softback edition is also available.

It is possible that the basic layout of the daily offices is based on the offices used by the Benedictine community at Glenstal Abbey.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
Just dropping in briefly to say that one of our US-based members might be interested in picking up this working copy-edition of the 3 volume Collegeville/Liturgical Press breviary at only $38 with 8 hours to go...

It went for only $54! I had considered bidding $50 but am in the middle of dealing with an intrusion on my PayPal account and didn't want to confuse things while the fraud is being investigated. A previous intruder on my account is now a convict and is on probation and community service in California, by the way. If you intrude on my PayPal account, it's best not to leave your home address on one of your fraudulent orders!
[Razz]

Anyway, on sale at eBay right now is a copy of the elusive American Office Book. Does someone have one? Is it the USA 1928 office with lessons? In any case, $285 is for me a bit too dear.

Antiphon
Shipmate
# 14779

I managed to obtain a copy of the American Office Book three or four years ago.

I would say that it is basically MP and EP from the 1928 ECUSA BCP with the readings in full using the RSV, with the addition of orders for Midday Prayer and Compline.

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

Brother Martin at St Gregory's Abbey in Michigan, USA, continues his review of books for praying the divine office in the new issue of the Abbey Letter.

Getting a look this time are the various LotH editions commonly used in the USA, the Monastic Diurnal Revised, the People's Companion to the Breviary, and Phyllis Tickle's Divine Hours.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016