homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Wee cuppies, grape juice, Lutherans, and Episcopalians (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Wee cuppies, grape juice, Lutherans, and Episcopalians
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
Most Lutherans have not maintained the episcopate. I am not sure I would be comfortable receiving communion in a Lutheran setting.

That's highly regionally-specific, though, to be sure.

My last Lutheran parish offered a choice of common and wee but wine was always used. I'm not inclined to take an impossibilist stand on the basis of speculation of dominical will had Welch's fermentation been known in the classical Levant. Ecumenical concerns are another matter (cue Father Ted) but then Anglicans are already accustomed to coeliac-friendly rice wafers, decidedly invalid "matter" in most of Christendom.

FWIW, the last (and perhaps only) time I received the species of grape juice was last year at one of the Mohawk Chapels Royal, when the national indigenous bishop celebrated the Diamond Jubilee Mass.

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
The Church is supposed to be One Body. Where practicable, congregations should drink from the one and the same Chalice.

This shows me how moving between traditions can create difficulties.

I mentioned above that I had felt that the congregation all drinking at the same moment, and all eating at the same moment, had made me feel very much part of one body, united by the time of the action.

When we migrated to the Anglicans because the church whose body we had believed we were one with made it impossible for my mother to continue as a member (that is important, because it was not for matters of belief about the teachings of the churches), I found the use of the common cup made it less obvious that we were all of one body, as did the separate taking of the wafers.

It was the way that the two lines of communicants did not communicate, those who had received passing down to the nave without making any eye contact with those still waiting to receive.

That is obviously a result of they way each group is internally preparing to receive and then reflecting on receiving, and in no way a criticism of the congregation, but I never really felt again that we were one body in the same way as I had when we all partook at the same time.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016