homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Clergy shirts (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Clergy shirts
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember attending an ordination service about 20 years ago where one of the ordinands wore a pale yellow clerical shirt. His wife wore a dress of exactly the same colour. [Projectile]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
I share Hart's and Seasick's take on full and tab collars. I don't wear a tonsure one; I dislike the snaps.

The barrister's shirt with rabat (always black) and clerical collar was very Staggers a few years ago.

My friend was indeed a Staggers Bag, although a few years further back than that.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Black and only black.
I have all the various kinds of collars except real linen. They scare me.
Also, it is EVIL that certain collars and studs only fit certain brands. It's like being tied to a chain store. Ugh!

I've never worn the white shirt and rabat. Looks cool. No, it looks hot! (either sense).

I miss the days of being barefoot at the altar, and clergy dress being black shorts, open neck short sleeve white shirt with a cross around the neck. Works for me.

Most of the time, either in black shirt, collar that came with the thing, black trousers, black socks and black shoes with a black jacket. I also wear a modest crucifix, and walk around with an Australian hat and staring at an iPhone.

Mufti is same as above sans clergy shirt and collar.

Formal is cassock.

In my wardrobe, there is a grey clergy shirt hanging just out of reach. I have no idea how it got there. I don't even know the size. PM me if anybody wants it.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the RC Church colours are certainly no guide to any particular outlook. Even the most conservative of Cardinals sometimes sport colours other than black. Some Cardinals even wear pale blue [Eek!] .

Ordinarily I would wear black, but if it is sweltering I do have a few white shirts as well.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Circuit Rider

Ship's Itinerant
# 13088

- Posted      Profile for Circuit Rider   Email Circuit Rider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in the Untied Methodist Church clericals are optional and there is no set color scheme, so one will see all colors. Just like our liturgy which no one is required to use.

Sometimes I see bishops wearing purple and elders wearing black.

Personally I wear only black shirts. Tab collar for weekdays and band collar for Sunday and special occasions.

--------------------
I felt my heart strangely warmed ... and realised I had spilt hot coffee all over myself.

Posts: 715 | From: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With apologies to my fellow Ozzie Zappa - my wardrobe has a mix of both black and white tonsure shirts, 50/50 black and white (no, not on the same shirt!). In my former diocese of Bathurst summer was so hot that an open neck shirt with with either collar crosses or a simple crucifix was uniform.

Here in the Diocese of Sydney, even that sort of official attire is the exception rather than the usual - hence why I am more 'black' here when out and about.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me of what Henry Ford said when asked if he would allow the Model T to come out in color:

You can have any color you want----

so long as it's black.

Never did like clerical shirts/collars. Usually wear a nice tie.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been surprised to see RC and Orthodox priests in ties (of course pretending not to notice)., and surprised to see Methodists in collars blue or grey short, IIRC (and pretending not to notice.) I've usually seen Lutheran clergy in clericals most of the time.

And certain Anglican/Episcopal types who seem veritably ashamed to be forced into a a collar. And one or two who for whom "high church" is a mustard yellow clerical collar or what have you with jeans and ghastly homemade stole replete with personal symbols and/or their kids photos ironed onto it and perhaps a dry cleaners tag pinned on it.

Sorry for sounding judgemental.

There is also a class of lay people who love clerical shirts. At least in my acquaintance. A few I've met are sincere Christians but have deep spiritual and other problems. (Sorry--issues). They are often ordained by printing out a certificate from some kind of website, and then type in their credit card numbers at Wippels. They attend on Sunday, but "practice Mass" at home, and I've seen a few in hospitals. These shirts aren't just for clergy any more

--------------------

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:

Ordinarily I would wear black, but if it is sweltering I do have a few white shirts as well. [/QB]

OOh a tropical uniform [Biased]
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I share Hart's and Seasick's take on full and tab collars. I don't wear a tonsure one; I dislike the snaps.

OK, this thread is now showing up a lacuna in my formation. What's the difference between a tonsure and a full collar? What I call my full one has snaps, does that mean it's a tonsure collar?

As for ties, I've never understood why a cleric would wear a tie. I can understand that there are contexts where you dispense with clericals and wear something more informal, but I don't see a good reason for wearing non-clerical formal wear.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The stripy shirt with a vestock or rabat over it was once worn by pretty much all clergy in the UK, regardless of churchmanship or denomination: it was about the only form that existed. It certainly looks smart with a jacket or suit and is still worn by older (often very old) clergy, and maybe the 'young fogeys' of any churchmanship. It is also worn by some for formal occasions. Again, the Armed Forces require their chaplains to wear this style on some occasions (but with white cuffs showing).

Robert Runcie, and all archbishops of Canterbury before him always wore a vestock like that - in purple, but in RR's case, with a double neck band. George Carey was the first ABC to wear a clerical shirt.

I don't think the colours have a real churchmanship meaning any more. There was a time when the style did say something (a ring-of-confidence or tab or small opening etc) but I have noticed a former President of the Baptist Union wear a black tonture shirt showing a 'Roman' collar.

I have noticed that more modern shirts seem to have a taller collar ( 1 1/4" instead of 1") and a smaller pice of white showing at the front, but this is proably the preference of clergy i happen to have seen. An example of this is in the picture shown in Triple Tiara's link.

The recent fad in the CofE seems to be bishops who eshew the purple shirt in favour of black: Rowan Williams; Eric Kemp; John Hind; John Ford (Plymouth); Justin Welby, to name a few.

I have never seen the above bishops wearing anything other than black - and never purple.

The media sometimes interpet what they describe as 'simple black' as a sign of humility.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kayarecee
Apprentice
# 17289

- Posted      Profile for Kayarecee   Email Kayarecee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
quote:

OK, this thread is now showing up a lacuna in my formation. What's the difference between a tonsure and a full collar? What I call my full one has snaps, does that mean it's a tonsure collar?
This may not be accurate, but when I hear "full collar," I think of the white strip of either plastic or linen or whatever that goes all the way around the neck, as favored by my Presiding Bishop. Synonyms include "jampot" and "ring of confidence," I think.

If it has a black overlay on top of it to create the effect of a cassock collar, whether the overlay is part of the shirt which snaps onto the white part, or a separate piece that slides over the bottom of the white part, that's what I understand as a "tonsure collar." The Archdeacon from rev. seems to favor these.

And in my little corner of the world, wearing clerical shirts at all marks one as either Roman Catholic or a little strange. The last (Lutheran) conference (like a deanery, I think) meeting I went to, apart from the celebrant and assistants at worship, I could count the clerical collars among the several dozen clergyfolk on one hand, and that included mine (I'm a seminarian on internship). I have a feeling that if it wasn't on a Sunday afternoon with some people coming straight from their own shacks' regular Sunday worship, it would have been the celebrant, the assistants, and me, because yeah, I'm a little strange. [Big Grin]

[ 02. March 2013, 14:40: Message edited by: Kayarecee ]

Posts: 25 | From: The Cornfields | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I think for male clergy it goes -

....grey: heterosexual

Oh - is there a gay one? Perhaps worn underneath a grey one so as not to upset the bishop?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
christianbuddhist
Apprentice
# 17579

- Posted      Profile for christianbuddhist   Email christianbuddhist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for your replies. Really interesting [Smile]

Spike originally wrote
quote:

Unlikely as ASB is no longer authorised and hasn't been for quite some time, but would probably use Eucharistic Prayer F or H in Common Worship.

True. But the grey shirt wearer would know that you can still use ASB morning and evening prayer under Common Worship services of the word provision [Razz]
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are parishes that still use ASB EP.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
WearyPilgrim
Shipmate
# 14593

- Posted      Profile for WearyPilgrim   Email WearyPilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While we're on this subject, I was taught many years ago that the width of the "step" in one's rabat or cassock delineated one's churchmanship. Narrow steps were/are worn by Catholics, Lutherans and Anglo-Catholics; wider steps (2" or more) by Broad Church and Evangelical clergy of the Anglican tradition and by Presbyterians and Free Church Protestants (in part so as to accommodate the wearing of bands). Is there really any truth to all this? I usually wear a neckband collar without a step at all, though I do have a rabat with a wide step, which barely fits nowadays.
Posts: 383 | From: Sedgwick, Maine USA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
leo: Pink? Better yet: Rainbow Color?

I was not high church, true; but I was not low church either. I was a happy medium. I still wear my Franciscan Alb when I am leading worship.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

Isn't that because everything in it is authorized by CW?
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
quote:

No. Not everything in it is so authorised.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you will find Evening Prayer is.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
quote:

No. Not everything in it is so authorised.
I can't think of anything in ASB Evening Prayer that would not be permitted under the CW rules.
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

But CW has its OWN version of EP and it is very different from ASB. For example, the lighting of lamps.

ASB EP is just a modern language form of 1662.

--------------------

Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

quote:
But CW has its OWN version of EP and it is very different from ASB. For example, the lighting of lamps.

ASB EP is just a modern language form of 1662.

That's true, but if you used the ASB form it would be 'authorized' within the terms of CW. So doing so would not be 'illegal'. Maybe Ken just meant some parishes were using ASB booklets for convenience.
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have clerical shirts of many colours but only one is patterned - narrow blue and white stripes. I even have one that is canary yellow - but the collar is too tight now. Must get it altered because that shirt is so offensive to wear it gave me great pleasure in winding up other clergy.

Today I am wearing dark-ish green. I only wear clericals when I am doing somethuing religious, as I have been today in deepest rural Norfolk (church in a field, no electricity...)

When I am lecturing, I wear collar and tie.

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I think for male clergy it goes -

....grey: heterosexual

Oh - is there a gay one?
It's more a matter of style ... [Biased]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Likewise, many colours, but hardly ever black---especially not on hospital wards.
Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
christianbuddhist
Apprentice
# 17579

- Posted      Profile for christianbuddhist   Email christianbuddhist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alisdair:
Likewise, many colours, but hardly ever black---especially not on hospital wards.

I think you can get away with black in hospitals as long as you combine it with a nice cardigan or jumper in a cheerful colour. Plain black is too austere, you might as well dress up as Death and have done with it.
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

quote:
Originally posted by christianbuddhist:
quote:

I think you can get away with black in hospitals as long as you combine it with a nice cardigan or jumper in a cheerful colour. Plain black is too austere, you might as well dress up as Death and have done with it.
Oh come on!

Men in Black Man in Black

--------------------

cosmic dance
Shipmate
# 14025

- Posted      Profile for cosmic dance   Email cosmic dance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My vicar insists that clergy shirts are ontologically black....

We have an extroverted evangelical type of vicar out here in the colonies who wears bright yellow or lime green clergy shirts. When he preaches, he loooks like a budgie on steroids.

--------------------
"No method, no teacher, no guru..." Van Morrison.

Posts: 233 | From: godzone | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Nonsense! I've been getting away with plain black on hospital wards for years. A lick of lipstick does the trick.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fifty or so years ago, there was a fashion among progressive clergy to wear white ties. It was presented as a modernisation of the mid-nineteenth century white cravate, then worn wrapped round a a high collar and with a high black waistcoat. It never seemed to catch on. I haven't seen it worn for many years.

Unfortunately, perhaps, white ties with black shirts tend to go with dark glasses and a criminal record.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

With all the mentions of shirts of various hues, mustard yellow, lime green, bird's egg blue, road-cone orange and so on it seems that the be all and end all of clerical haberdasher is merely the collar itself.

I can't imagine clergy really wanting to think about the vicissitudes of fashion: having to coordinate and accessorise shirt or blouse and trousers or skirt and socks and shoes and bags and cell phone cover. What statement will I make in the hospital or old folks home or charity event?

Clergy shirts are simply a simplification of the black cassock, worn to free clergy from too much concern for the seductions of fashion week.

Simplicity, being in uniform in public. Saying "I'm here if you need me." Not "love the outfit; where did you get it?"

--------------------

Codepoet

Best Bear On Board
# 5964

- Posted      Profile for Codepoet   Email Codepoet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once met a group of clergy from an Evangelical Lutheran parish in Finland. They were all wearing either black or green. It turn out the black ones were all priests and the green ones were all deacons*.

* Note that in that context the church carries out many functions of the state, and so deacons' duties can be some of the work that in the UK would be carried out by social workers, nurses etc.

[ETA spelling]

[ 04. March 2013, 17:55: Message edited by: Codepoet ]

--------------------
It's more important to be kind than to be right.

Posts: 1156 | From: Southampton | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Fifty or so years ago, there was a fashion among progressive clergy to wear white ties. It was presented as a modernisation of the mid-nineteenth century white cravate, then worn wrapped round a a high collar and with a high black waistcoat. It never seemed to catch on. I haven't seen it worn for many years.

Unfortunately, perhaps, white ties with black shirts tend to go with dark glasses and a criminal record.

I understand Alec Vidler favoured the look as, rather less positively, did Pierre Laval.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nonsense! I've been getting away with plain black on hospital wards for years. A lick of lipstick does the trick.
Another black-clad hospital chaplain here, but no lipstick. I rely on boyish charm. And I never get accused of being Death, unless I happen to be carrying my scythe and TALKING LIKE THIS.

--------------------

Graham J
Apprentice
# 505

- Posted      Profile for Graham J     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Read:
I have clerical shirts of many colours but only one is patterned - narrow blue and white stripes. I even have one that is canary yellow - but the collar is too tight now. Must get it altered because that shirt is so offensive to wear it gave me great pleasure in winding up other clergy.

I warmly recommend "button extenders" (available from Amazon among other sources) to give tight collars a new lease of life.

--------------------
GJ

Posts: 46 | From: Örebro, Sweden | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
WearyPilgrim
Shipmate
# 14593

- Posted      Profile for WearyPilgrim   Email WearyPilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Clergy, dressed as such, and carrying violin cases: "Christianity! Have we got a deal for youse!"
[Snigger]

Posts: 383 | From: Sedgwick, Maine USA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
quote:

I understand Alec Vidler favoured the look as, rather less positively, did Pierre Laval.
And, I think, Stanley Booth-Clibborn when Vicar of Great St Mary's Cambridge

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Black shirts with white ties? - I'm sure we have been here before.

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Today I am wearing dark-ish green. I only wear clericals when I am doing somethuing religious, as I have been today in deepest rural Norfolk (church in a field, no electricity...)

I don't quite understand this. Do you lecture in theology? If so, why would you wish to ape secular culture, or even especially as a cleric, wear a tie at all and dress like a banker?

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
quote:

I don't quite understand this. Do you lecture in theology? If so, why would you wish to ape secular culture, or even especially as a cleric, wear a tie at all and dress like a banker?
Sebby-- you and I perhaps operate in different cultural contexts. In Ottawa, I note that most bankers, corporate hoodlums, and the younger and vulturous sort of public service manager now wear suits, dress shirts and no tie. Ties are worn by office minions (albeit some of them are ambitious) and retired gentlemen.

French clerics of a certain generation wore suits and ties as a typical garment of the urban working class, but with small crosses on their lapels to indicate their sacerdotal status.

Apropos of shirt colours, when last in Montréal I was walking down Sainte Catherine on my way to lunch with a Manchurian friend (an academic connexion of my bureaucratic days, and a former jammer with La Racaille, when I saw Cardinal Turcotte and Msgr Dowd, Bishop of Treba, heading toward me. The Cardinal was not wearing the black piped-with-red shirt I was expecting, but rather a very light grey, as one is accustomed to see with TEC clergy (Bp Dowd was in plain black as befits a lean and serious young prelate). Of course I raised my hat as one should when meeting a successor of the Apostles in the street, but later asking one of my RC acquaintances about the light-coloured shirt and what it might signify, I was told that perhaps the cardinal liked that colour.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
KevinL
Apprentice
# 12481

- Posted      Profile for KevinL   Email KevinL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
full collar = tie; tab = shirt, no tie (in terms of lay formality).

If you will all pardon the jump back to an earlier post, where does a tonsure collar fit in the hierarchy of formality?

cheers in advance.

edited to do the cool "originally posted by Hart" bit.

[ 11. March 2013, 05:32: Message edited by: KevinL ]

Posts: 35 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
womanspeak
Shipmate
# 15394

- Posted      Profile for womanspeak   Email womanspeak   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About ten years ago I remember a few younger clerics who cut out a tab from the plastic margarine tub with the brand PRAISE front and centre to insert in their collar. Most suitable until the Bishop catches you wearing one.

--------------------
from the bush

Posts: 62 | From: rural australia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by womanspeak:
About ten years ago I remember a few younger clerics who cut out a tab from the plastic margarine tub with the brand PRAISE front and centre to insert in their collar. Most suitable until the Bishop catches you wearing one.

In the UK what used to be used was the white plastic washing up liquid bottle, fairy liquid.

There was a scene in the 'Vicar of dibley' (I think)a UK comedy show, where the word 'fairy' was left showing.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by KevinL:
quote:
full collar = tie; tab = shirt, no tie (in terms of lay formality).

If you will all pardon the jump back to an earlier post, where does a tonsure collar fit in the hierarchy of formality?

cheers in advance.

edited to do the cool "originally posted by Hart" bit.

Fairly formal, with a hint of sinister.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
quote:
Originally posted by womanspeak:

In the UK what used to be used was the white plastic washing up liquid bottle, fairy liquid.

There was a scene in the 'Vicar of dibley' (I think)a UK comedy show, where the word 'fairy' was left showing.

At the time George Carey was elevated to Canterbury, there was a story circulating that he'd found himself on the way to a meeting without the requisite tab for his collar and used a piece of plastic cut from (I think) a yoghurt container as a substitute.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stranger in a strange land
Shipmate
# 11922

- Posted      Profile for Stranger in a strange land   Email Stranger in a strange land   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
quote:

I don't quite understand this. Do you lecture in theology?...
That was meant to be the idea. It was generally just an hour of Catholic-bashing
Posts: 608 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

I thought everyone had cut a piece of plastic from a container at LEAST once. I have one now. Was laughing with a group of clergy about the various items cut up before important dos -- margarine tubs, bleach bottles etc. -- and was shocked that this one old guy had never heard of it. "Don't they always come with one?" He asked. We had to say, "no" and sometimes they get lost if they do.

--------------------

fr monty
Apprentice
# 17206

- Posted      Profile for fr monty     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think you can read that much into the colours anymore. Like Charles Read I delight in wearing coloured shirts green/royal blue just to provoke a response amongst some of my anglo catholic brethen. Ironically I work in a deanery where the three of us who are firm anglo catholic very rarely wear blue shirts. On the other hand our charismatic evangelical neighbour favours black tonsured shirts. Have not got a canary yellow shirt yet!

--------------------
Fr Monty

Posts: 3 | From: penarth | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
fr monty
Apprentice
# 17206

- Posted      Profile for fr monty     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
that should read very rarely wear black shirts

--------------------
Fr Monty

Posts: 3 | From: penarth | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016