homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Prayer facilities in church

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Prayer facilities in church
Pilot Light
Apprentice
# 17549

- Posted      Profile for Pilot Light   Email Pilot Light   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking for ideas and observations on the subject of furnishing/equipping an area suited to prayer within my small parish church. The church itself is open most of the week with the office being open, and people do come in to pray/be still. However, there isn't really a suitable spot to sit/kneel/stand unless one sits in a pew or is brave enough to stand/kneel at the altar rail. The Lady Chapel is unsuitable, being right next to the office door and effectively being a thoroughfare. There's a spot that's about 6 foot square up a corner which gets good daylight. I want to put in something attractive, inspiring, yet simple and uncluttered, suitable for anyone, with somewhere to keep books/printed prayers tidy.
Suggestions gratefully received!!

--------------------
Worse things happen at sea

Posts: 13 | From: Warwickshire | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Arch Anglo Catholic
Shipmate
# 15181

- Posted      Profile for Arch Anglo Catholic         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps a foolish thought, but is it worth looking at the Lady Chapel and office access to see if the Chapel can be used as a place of prayer and the admin access made elsewhere? It does sound as if admin convenience is getting in the way of what the Church and Chapel are really for? Could the tail be wagging the dog?

If not, then an area for prayer needs to be safe, contained, comfortable and with a focus I would suggest. That does sound awfully like a chapel....! Is there an area which could be turned into another prayer chapel?

Second hand altars are not that expensive and give a focus/direction, chairs arranged thoughtfully provide shape and 'protection' and in good medieaval tradition, although it is good to face East, not a necessity. You will find hundreds of early examples of churches with additional chapels, mortuary or otherwise, facing every direction inc East.

Posts: 144 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pilot Light,

Welcome to Ship of Fools and to Ecclesiantics! I hope you enjoy being part of the community here and that you get some good ideas for your prayer facilities.

seasick, Eccles host

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that a prie-dieu* to kneel on with a crucifix or holy picture on a wall to aid in prayer or contemplation would be enough. A small shelf to hold books of private prayers could be placed there as well. It doesn't have to be fancy.

*a padded kneeler.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Include some secular but reflective literature eg The Little Prince, The Red Tent, poetry eg Mary Oliver as well as devotionals. And if your people can tolerate it some Dalai Lama on compassion, etc.
Keep us informed as to progress too.
Blessings on the endeavour.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If your church is of the 'old English' model, then I would say a major point is to make sure it will be warm enough in the winter! If you only heat the church during services, then there may not be much uptake for spending time in private prayer at other occasions.

Because of this, small areas that can be heated separately from the main building can be useful (parvises or organ lofts can be suitable for this, but come with their own access issues). One church near me had sectioned off an aisle with glass partions to keep the 'space' intact whilst being able to keep one section heated during all opening hours.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pilot Light
Apprentice
# 17549

- Posted      Profile for Pilot Light   Email Pilot Light   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Arch Anglo Catholic and PeteC!
The office door problem is as much to do with the level of chatter and telephone noise which emanates - which of itself is a good thing, the office is the daily hub of the parish. The office is part of the vestry, so the office exit is also the vestry exit. Access to the church in the week is gained via the outside office door: the South outer doors are open but the glass inner doors remain locked. The Lady Chapel is effectively the top of the North aisle, and faces north rather than east. Somehow it doesn't feel right facing the wrong way...And as you mention, it's got to feel safe - which it doesn't with the door so close.
I go with the prie-dieu suggestion (in fact we've got a rather small one) and a focal point, which for me personally a plain cross would be ideal. But I'm open to more radical suggestions/experiences/nice photos of what other churches have done! And then of course there's the candle question!
The part of church I have in mind actually used to be an unenclosed chapel, being at the top of the south aisle, but the altar was removed many years ago and the font was then transplanted from the back to roughly in front of where the altar was - good for baptisms but rather cramping the space available. I don't think we'd have room for much more than a suggestion of an altar...And then there's how to make it feel more enclosed...

--------------------

Pilot Light
Apprentice
# 17549

The heating is kept on low - and there's a radiator in my chosen location!!

As regards literature etc, any info on "non-naff" stuff available would be appreciated. I've got a few poems in an anthology which really get to the heart of the matter but I'd have to look into the copyright issues.

As an aside, I went into church to pray a few weeks ago and knelt at the rightmost end of the altar rail instead of the middle. After a short while I began to notice the unaccustomed feeling of getting beautifully warmer in church - and was just about to think "whoaa - that's a new one!!" then realised I'd parked myself next to a radiator which was nice and hot!!

--------------------

Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you reserve the Sacrament and if so, where, and could that be your focal point?
Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would you be likely to have more than one person wanting to pray at the same time?
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some large cushions would be good - not everyone finds kneeling helpful. I like to pray lying down and am sometimes brave enough to do so in church.

Maybe a few prayer 'gadgets' - a holding cross, rosary.

Some votive candles and post-it notes (for prayer requests).

[ 05. March 2013, 17:26: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A pricket stand, candles and matches. People instinctively are drawn to such a place in churches, light a candle and then stare at the flame while they pray.

Another idea from my own church - a wooden 'tree' with branches, onto which you can clip leaf-shaped pieces of paper, once you have written your prayer on one.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had something similar to what Leo describes at the SCM conference I was at this weekend, albeit in an empty classroom rather than in a church and it worked very well. We had bunting which people could write their prayers on which I loved! We also had use of a whiteboard on which to draw as well as write prayers - perhaps a small chalkboard could be used like this (chalkboards look nicer than whiteboards and don't need smelly whiteboard pens). Re non-naff prayer resources, I find that the Quakers have very good ones and are very helpful if you were to contact them about it.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's some surprisingly non-naff and wonderfully cheap booklets and free resources here.
For instance, these at 45p each and free poster downloads too! They are very popular in our place.

Candles and prayer cards will get used - yes and yes.

An inviting sign outside: "Come to sit, to look, to pray"

A sense of enclosure, safety, privacy. Maybe some tasteful material draped over a rope?

A [print of] an icon of your patron as a focus?

Go for it and let us know how you get on.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PS: Use it! Do your clergy and/or office team say the Office ( [Biased] ) ? Hallow the space with daily prayer.

[ 06. March 2013, 07:33: Message edited by: Qoheleth. ]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Arch Anglo Catholic
Shipmate
# 15181

- Posted      Profile for Arch Anglo Catholic         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One practical issue to be careful of is keeping the area 'in keeping'. I'm not talking about making everything just the same. Rather, making sure that what you want to do fits the space and the people. A good friend of mine worships in a local church where a very odd 'prayer tent' has been constructed, and not very well to be honest.

Some of the older congregants have been quite offended/uncomfortable with the fact that the job looks to have been thrown together in about five minutes and looks not unlike washing on a line waiting to dry. The objection has much to do with the feeling (justified or not) that the work looks slapdash and is not the best that we could offer to God, who has given us everything.

Doubtless there will be some who object to any change, but a really good, well planned use of space, smartly and sensitively laid out will be appreciated by all, or at least those who will even begin to accept a change(!). Your common sense approach in planning it well first has to be good.

It's nice to take the whole of the congregation with you, but even if some don't like it, they can at least acknowledge that the job was done well!

Posts: 144 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pilot Light
Apprentice
# 17549

quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
Do you reserve the Sacrament and if so, where, and could that be your focal point?

I was meaning to find out whether the lit sanctuary lamp in the Lady chapel actually meant there was some reserved sacrament hidden around there! But that brings us back to the Lady chapel...

--------------------

Pilot Light
Apprentice
# 17549

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Would you be likely to have more than one person wanting to pray at the same time?

Quite possibly if it catches on!!
...which is partly why I think our prie-dieu is a bit small...it's been known for the parish administrator (from the office) to go and pray with someone who's come in and wanted someone to pray with them...but that sort of thing isn't exactly part of our church culture.

--------------------

Pilot Light
Apprentice
# 17549

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Some large cushions would be good - not everyone finds kneeling helpful. I like to pray lying down and am sometimes brave enough to do so in church.

Maybe a few prayer 'gadgets' - a holding cross, rosary.

Some votive candles and post-it notes (for prayer requests).

I did wonder about cushions: I'm not certain people can really make themselves comfortable sitting on them although they might look inviting. Lying down could be the thing though!! Musty bits of carpet are definitely a no-no but I suppose it depends on the Holy Spirit as to which way up one ends up lying down [Biased] .
I don't suppose any of our congregation would know what to do with a rosary but they could always have a bash! I like the idea of a holding cross.

At the moment if someone comes in to pray, the Paschal Candle is lit for them, but it's much too high up for contemplation! I do like the idea of having one big candle but maybe people prefer to light their own votive/tea light. I suspect the church is a bit nervous about letting people loose with a box of matches unsupervised. It's understandable when you consider there's a church a couple of miles away which was completely burnt out in an arson attack and 5 years on is only just starting to be rebuilt. But I don't agree with living in fear...

--------------------

Pilot Light
Apprentice
# 17549

quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
There's some surprisingly non-naff and wonderfully cheap booklets and free resources here.
For instance, these at 45p each and free poster downloads too! They are very popular in our place.

Candles and prayer cards will get used - yes and yes.

An inviting sign outside: "Come to sit, to look, to pray"

A sense of enclosure, safety, privacy. Maybe some tasteful material draped over a rope?

A [print of] an icon of your patron as a focus?

Go for it and let us know how you get on.

Wow! Just looked at the booklet you pointed me too - really excellent, just the sort of thing I was wanting to provide.
I think an invitation is a great idea, as it gives people "permission" to use the space. When Googling images for prayer spaces I came across a great invitation used in Bournemouth which says;

"This is holy space
God is here - you are welcome
This is your space to be with God
And God's space to be with you

Make yourself at home
Be yourself, be real
{rest of text out of view!}"

I'm glad people keep mentioning enclosure/safety/privacy etc, I though it might just be me...I'm sure we could manage some sort of roped arrangement, good idea...

We do have a picture of our patron saint in church but she looks unnervingly like a bloke in it - we'd need a better one! For myself I love Fra Angelico devotional paintings, was blown away by them in San Marco, could see my way to one of them...

--------------------

cg
Shipmate
# 14332

- Posted      Profile for cg   Email cg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Better than a randomly selected picture which happens to appeal to you, and may not to others, why not a good copy of the Sinai icon of Christ, the earliest surviving image of the One in whose name we are called 'Christian'?
Posts: 136 | From: Antipodes | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are the people who come in to pray regulars at the church? If the answer is no, then I'd try to work in some candles. [Please don't laugh at what follows...] When people watch TV or movies and see somebody stop into a church to pray, that person almost invariably lights a candle. It might be a generic expectation of "what to do" when one stops into a church. Just a thought, anyway.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pilot Light
Apprentice
# 17549

quote:
Originally posted by Arch Anglo Catholic:
A good friend of mine worships in a local church where a very odd 'prayer tent' has been constructed, and not very well to be honest.

Some of the older congregants have been quite offended/uncomfortable with the fact that the job looks to have been thrown together in about five minutes and looks not unlike washing on a line waiting to dry. The objection has much to do with the feeling (justified or not) that the work looks slapdash and is not the best that we could offer to God, who has given us everything.

You're absolutely right there - I must say I find it a bit cringeworthy when churches have an area which looks like a mash-up of Christmas and Sunday School, decorated with prayer requests which have been there rather a long time...

I'm starting to think about a simple clean-cut (IKEA!) look suitable for the iPhone generation...

--------------------

Pilot Light
Apprentice
# 17549

quote:
Originally posted by cg:
Better than a randomly selected picture which happens to appeal to you, and may not to others, why not a good copy of the Sinai icon of Christ, the earliest surviving image of the One in whose name we are called 'Christian'?

Thanks for that, just Googled it and I like the image. Hard for anyone to take offence at, I should hope!! As you say. icons/pictures are pretty subjective, and it's an area I'd need advice in as I'm not particularly au fait...

--------------------

Pilot Light
Apprentice
# 17549

Olaf, you're quite right - I'm certain people do base their expectations about church on what they see on TV - including the vicar always being in church when someone walks in!

Candles are doing well!

--------------------

Pilot Light
Apprentice
# 17549

Thanks to everyone who has contributed ideas and useful information on this topic.
I would still like to hear any further thoughts even just to add confirmation to what has already been said. It'd be great to hear about what other churches provide and see some photos.
It's been very encouraging!!

Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A portable confessional in front of some sort of picture might be what you need, even if it's just a small wooden cross. A good prayer resource is the "Book of Common Prayer".
Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016