homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Weekday worship suggestions in Manchester

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Weekday worship suggestions in Manchester
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I realise Manchester, UK, does not have the attractions or quantity of nosebleed high churches London has, but BT asked about London.

What would friends here may similarly suggest for weekday worship in what is arguably England's second city.

We may have to go a bit out of city centre for Manchester - but it does have a good bus service, I think!

Let me start with the RC Hidden Gem, which is just that, I think. A gem. Daily mass at lunchtime. Extraordinary Stations of Cross. Here is its homepage.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
S. Benedict's Ardwick used to be good, though eccentric. I went there a lot when i did a month's placement at a hospital chaplaincy. But i think it has closed now.

The cathedral is quite good.

St Chrysostom's is anglo-catholic but NOT Forward in Faith. I know the vicar, Fr. Gomersall. Good pastor with left-leaning politics.

Holy Innocents Fallowfield also good - affacth. One of its servers used to be a shipmate.

Both S. Chrysostom's and Holy Innocents are 'inclusive church'es.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another RC and not far from the centre is Roman Catholic Chaplaincy at Holy Name

Then St Annes has Holy Communion twice a week. It is a civic church so at certain times there will be other lunch time services.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently, St. Benedict, Ardwick, has been converted into the Manchester Climbing Centre. High-Church, indeed......

Percy B, why not have a look at the Manchester Diocesan website? It may well have some basic info re service times and/or links to parish websites. A Church Near You might also help, though coverage is patchy, to say the least (surprising, considering the amount of information an ACNY entry can contain - and it's free of charge).

Bear in mind, too, that churches in an interregnum (Holy Innocents, Fallowfield, AFAIK, is so placed at the moment) may curtail their usual weekday services.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
I realise Manchester, UK, does not have the attractions or quantity of nosebleed high churches London has, but BT asked about London.

What would friends here may similarly suggest for weekday worship in what is arguably England's second city.

[/URL]

[Eek!] (Braces self for torrents of Brummie-accented outrage)
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:

Birmingham city centre is a little bereft of midweek religion, I seem to remember from spending half of my honeymoon there...

Thurible

[ 07. March 2013, 21:27: Message edited by: Thurible ]

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh, you know how to treat a girl, don't you, Thurible? Where did you spend the other half of your honeymoon- Wolverhampton?
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tottenham. [Big Grin]

Thurible

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Wow! Mind you, I suppose if it's a really good honeymoon, it doesn't much matter where you are, does it?... [Biased]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

Exactly! ;-)

Both are very conveniently located for much, er, sightseeing. Though, as I say (to return us to topic), London's a lot easier for churches.

I'm afraid that the one Sunday I was in Manchester, I splept in and missed Mass at St Chad's emporium.

Thurible

--------------------

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Apparently, St. Benedict, Ardwick, has been converted into the Manchester Climbing Centre. High-Church, indeed......

Percy B, why not have a look at the Manchester Diocesan website? It may well have some basic info re service times and/or links to parish websites. A Church Near You might also help, though coverage is patchy, to say the least (surprising, considering the amount of information an ACNY entry can contain - and it's free of charge).

Bear in mind, too, that churches in an interregnum (Holy Innocents, Fallowfield, AFAIK, is so placed at the moment) may curtail their usual weekday services.

Ian J.

Thanks Ian J. I was inspired to raise this topic about Manchester in the wake of the very interesting one on London churches, and reading shipmates insights and comments. They add flesh to the bones of websites, if you follow me!

I also was thinking not just of Anglican churches to tell the truth. I have for example appreciated weekday meeting for worship at Friends House, Euston Road. I believe the Gfriends Meeting House, Mount street, Manchester have a lunchtime meeting.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
St Chrysostom's is anglo-catholic but NOT Forward in Faith. I know the vicar, Fr. Gomersall. Good pastor with left-leaning politics.

Holy Innocents Fallowfield also good - affacth. One of its servers used to be a shipmate.

Both S. Chrysostom's and Holy Innocents are 'inclusive church'es.

I can highly recommend both. St Chrysostom's has a very lively multi-racial congregation in the Victoria Park area (at the 'back' of the Machester Royal Infirmary). Holy Innocents is a bit further out, in Fallowfield, but is well served by public transport as it's in 'Studentland'. Both normally have a daily Mass, but Holy Innocents is in an interregnum at the moment and has had to drop the Wednesday morning Mass. Both churches have websites.

(I wouldn't describe Holy Innocents as all-out AffCath, by the way, but there is a flavour of that and yes, both churches are very inclusive.)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

I happened to go to a weekday morning Mass at Holy Innocents a few years ago, and yes, very impressive- sense of somewhere inclusive and (which suits me) a bit intellectual at the same time.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
I happened to go to a weekday morning Mass at Holy Innocents a few years ago, and yes, very impressive- sense of somewhere inclusive and (which suits me) a bit intellectual at the same time.

Yes, I've preached there on a Sunday before. It always puts a little extra zip in your sermon prep when you know there are likely to be several professional theologians in the congregation! But that doesn't mean it's all high-falutin' theology. It's just a good, modern, Anglican-catholic church.

Jengie Jon mentioned Holy Name - a lovely RC church. If anyone has been, but not recently, they might like to know that in the past few months it's been under 'new management'. The Oratorians, who were running it, have now moved to another church, I think just north of the city centre. Holy Name is once again being run by the Jesuits.

And let's not forget the Orthodox. The Orthodox church on Bury New Road is, I believe, the oldest purpose-built Greek Orthodox church in the country. There's an Antiochian Church in Levenshulme, and I'm sure The Scrumpmeister can tells us about Russian Orthodox and others. Manchester also has Coptic and Mar Thoma congregations. (Which brings us back to Holy Innocents - that's where the Mar Thoma congregation worship.)

[ 08. March 2013, 10:55: Message edited by: Adeodatus ]

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The second, nay, first city of England has an anglo-catholic church, the Church of Our Lady and Saint Nicholas closeish to the Albert Dock.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Ho ho, Rosa, I don't want to argue about which is second city - for I favour Birmingham!

BUT the thread is about Manchester.

I like Anglo Catholic but not sanitised, som Aff Cath is rather precious and clinical to me. Ok for women priests with me, but Our Lady having a look in, Mass called such...

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am afraid Percy B, that when Cross Street went Unitarian the remaining Trinitarians went to the suburbs (irc Roby originally was one such church). So while there is a Methodist Central Hall, I cannot recall another town centre Free Church.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

It's many years since I worshipped with Unitarians. I believe they have a good pedigree in Manchester...Mrs Gaskell, for example. However they seldom have weekday worship in theirs churches.

As I mentioned the Quakers have a central presence in Mount Street and weekday worship.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

Yes, I've preached there on a Sunday before. It always puts a little extra zip in your sermon prep when you know there are likely to be several professional theologians in the congregation! But that doesn't mean it's all high-falutin' theology. It's just a good, modern, Anglican-catholic church.
I used to be in the choir at Holy I's and often went to the weekday masses: daily quiet affairs in the chapel. Good people. There's a solid tradition there.

I was also the sacristan at St Chrysostom's for a while. The weekday masses were growing and developing during my time there and have since become daily. I am not in a position to give a report of the current atmosphere but I strongly recommend it as a placefor an Anglican to explore.

quote:
Jengie Jon mentioned Holy Name - a lovely RC church. If anyone has been, but not recently, they might like to know that in the past few months it's been under 'new management'. The Oratorians, who were running it, have now moved to another church, I think just north of the city centre. Holy Name is once again being run by the Jesuits.
Really? Have they moved to St Chad's? I talk to a gentleman from that parish on my tram on Sunday mornings, so shall ask him.

quote:
And let's not forget the Orthodox. The Orthodox church on Bury New Road is, I believe, the oldest purpose-built Greek Orthodox church in the country. There's an Antiochian Church in Levenshulme, and I'm sure The Scrumpmeister can tells us about Russian Orthodox and others.
Only last week I was invited to the Church of the Annunciation on Bury New Road by one of the proprietors of a Cypriot family restaurant that I visited with friends. (Incidentally, I can wholeheartedly endorse Papa G's in the Printworks for its top-notch service and excellent food and atmosphere). I have never been so know little about its worship on weekdays or otherwise. As they follow the New Calendar, I suspect that they will be celebrating their patronal feast soon. That might be worth going to.

The parish of the Protecting Veil of the Mother of God shares a priest with a number of other communities but I believe that they are his main congregation. I know Fr Gennady but not his weekday movements.

Fr Gregory is a better person to speak about St Aidan's. There is a Ukrainian parish that worships in that area as well, served by the same priest as their parish down the road from me. Again, I don't know what, if anything, happens on weekdays.

[ 10. March 2013, 21:48: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in Manchester last week for the Student Christian Movement conference and went to Saturday evening mass at the RC uni chaplaincy - very pretty chapel, and Fr Tim is lovely. He showed us around Holy Name and it is beautiful. Loved the massive scallop shell holy water stoop [Big Grin]

St Augustine's RC church is very close by to Holy Name - we were using the church hall for the female-only accommodation over the conference weekend! Fr David was very hospitable and showed us around the Salford Diocesan Archive upstairs (which I very much recommend). Absolutely fascinating to look around, my favourite was the WWI chaplain's diaries. The church itself reminds me a lot of the new Coventry Cathedral, and while the interior is very modern, I really like it. I loved the cross made from silver vessels destroyed in the Blitz.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some thoughts on the changes at the Holy Name, including the provision of weekday worship.

[Auto-"correct"]

[ 11. March 2013, 06:22: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's also St.Anne's Manchester in the city centre. Choral settings, use of BCP via Common Worship on Sundays. No chasuble but alb and stole
I think they have a midweek service and also an organ recital midweek, and operate a little cafe on Saturdays
I wasn't so fussed on the cathedral when I was there last - I found it a bit boring to be honest - the building that is - although the services seem OK
I think though that if you're looking for midweek services possibly the cathedral would be the best bet.
I've never managed to get to see the Hidden Gem but next time I'm up there must get to see it.

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
There's also St.Anne's Manchester in the city centre. Choral settings, use of BCP via Common Worship on Sundays. No chasuble but alb and stole
I think they have a midweek service and also an organ recital midweek, and operate a little cafe on Saturdays

I gather that they're very particular about being St Ann's rather than St Anne's. The surrounding square and passage bear testimony to this, possibly because the local authority was to scared of the regulars to dare do otherwise. :-)

quote:
I wasn't so fussed on the cathedral when I was there last - I found it a bit boring to be honest - the building that is - although the services seem OK
I work a stone's throw from the cathedral and sometimes go in at lunchtime. I recently posted to Google+ about the defiant iconoclasm there. That is, they have an icon of the Saviour on one of the pillars, almost as a concession to the iconodules, but have placed the votive stand directly in front of it, rendering veneration impossible without incurring injury. When I politely pointed out this difficulty to one of the virgers, he told me that I ought not to be bowing down before graven images, and that was the end of that.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Scrumpmeister:
]I gather that they're very particular about being St Ann's rather than St Anne's. The surrounding square and passage bear testimony to this, possibly because the local authority was to scared of the regulars to dare do otherwise. :-)

Tangent: St Anne's Wandsworth, in SW London, is situated in St Ann's Hill. Just to confuse everybody.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[A quite obvious cross-post]

[Disappointed]

[ 13. March 2013, 22:08: Message edited by: Rosa Winkel ]

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:

I gather that they're very particular about being St Ann's rather than St Anne's. The surrounding square and passage bear testimony to this, possibly because the local authority was to scared of the regulars to dare do otherwise. :-)

quote:
I work a stone's throw from the cathedral and sometimes go in at lunchtime. I recently posted to Google+ about the defiant iconoclasm there. That is, they have an icon of the Saviour on one of the pillars, almost as a concession to the iconodules, but have placed the votive stand directly in front of it, rendering veneration impossible without incurring injury. When I politely pointed out this difficulty to one of the virgers, he told me that I ought not to be bowing down before graven images, and that was the end of that.

I heard that the Cathedral was closing for a few months. Apparently services are being held in other churches such as St Ann's and Rochdale church.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

And the Dean's shed.

I'm not sure about Rochdale, though. It seems a little too far to be likely - unless I'm misunderstanding.

[ 28. March 2013, 06:57: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

I did some checking on the Cross Street Chapel website. Yes it is "Ann" and it is so because its patroness was Ann and even better she was a Non-conformist by upbringing. This makes Cross Street Chapel the mother church for St Ann's.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
And the Dean's shed.

I'm not sure about Rochdale, though. It seems a little too far to be likely - unless I'm misunderstanding.

The 'Dean's Shed' being the temporary building they're calling the 'Cathedral on the Streets'. (Actually, I prefer 'Dean's Shed'.)

The licensing of Readers in June is going to be held at St Chad's Rochdale. I'm not sure about the ordinations. And other than that, yes, I think it's the Shed and St Ann's.

Is the cathedral having a new heating system put in or something? Have they tried telling the congregation to wear thicker jumpers?

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When I politely pointed out this difficulty to one of the virgers, he told me that I ought not to be bowing down before graven images, and that was the end of that.

So the good Lord is offended by bowing down before graven images, but not by lighting candles in front of them? [brick wall]

[ 28. March 2013, 11:59: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems that the Cathedral is having a new geo-thermal heating system installed (i.e. Heat From Hell), which involves lifting most of the flooring....

....I rather like their Cathedral On The Street.....very...er.... humble....

Full marks to them for Going Green, though!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
[QB
....I rather like their Cathedral On The Street.....very...er.... humble....
[/QB]

'Omble indeed! (© Steve Bell of the Grauniad)

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

quote:
And the Dean's shed.

I think that Rochdale is being used just for some big events, because its big and old. It's St Chads.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016