homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The inevitable Papal election (liturgy) thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The inevitable Papal election (liturgy) thread
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly, but that is like describing opera as plainsong on the grounds that the tenor ad libbed a phrase in second recitative.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Edgeman:
Yeah but he said mass facing the wrong direction, among other things.

Actually, he faced east. If he had his back to the Cardinals, he would be facing west.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Everything we've heard about the ermine is (allegedly) true. Nice story here:
quote:
[T]he Master of Ceremonies offered to the new Pope the traditional papal red cape trimmed with ermine that his predecessor Pope Benedict XVI gladly wore on ceremonial occasions.

"No thank you, Monsignore," Pope Francis is reported to have replied. "You put it on instead. Carnival time is over!"

Scuttlebutt. I no more believe that His Holiness said that than I believe the moon is made of cream cheese. He is a man of immense solicitude, kindness and patience. The remark is simply too rude and too abrupt to be credible. The journos who are recycling it have been had and so have you.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it possible that the Holy Father might have said something along these lines in reference to the actual 'carnivale', as in the period prior to Lent - i.e. saying that he wouldn't wear a festal garment at this time? The statement, as reported, seems unbelievable for a man who has been a senior Catholic bishop for many years, but I wonder if there may be some kernel of truth that has caused the story to originate or spread?

(It could just be an urban myth of course - I am just speculating here!)

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
quote:
Originally posted by Edgeman:
Yeah but he said mass facing the wrong direction, among other things.

Actually, he faced east. If he had his back to the Cardinals, he would be facing west.
Yehbut, yehbut, he faced liturgical west, innit? Versus populum, innit?
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
Is it possible that the Holy Father might have said something along these lines in reference to the actual 'carnivale', as in the period prior to Lent - i.e. saying that he wouldn't wear a festal garment at this time? The statement, as reported, seems unbelievable for a man who has been a senior Catholic bishop for many years, but I wonder if there may be some kernel of truth that has caused the story to originate or spread?

How interesting, I would never have thought of that.

Whatever the ermine was dispensed with, and it is said the red shoes have gone. These are small but significant liturgical changes in my view.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
but I wonder if there may be some kernel of truth that has caused the story to originate or spread?

Well, judging by the beeb coverage, the press had been briefed to expect him to wear a red mozetta and he didn't. Also the white mozetta he did wear didn't quite colour match the rest of his outfit - and he took longer to come out than expected, so I wonder if he declined politely and then they had to hustle to find him a white one.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, he didn't wear a mozetta at all. The little shoulder-cape attached to his cassock is not a mozetta.

I am not inclined to believe the story either. Only the Pope and Marini would have been there - which one of them has told the story?

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a 'let them eat cake' thing. You know, that thing everyone knows Marie Antoinette is famous for saying, but which she never actually said? There'll probably be a biographer futilely de-mythologizing the 'carnival cape quip' of Francis I, in future centuries.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty much a fan of "Reform of the Reform" but I think a lot of the more extreme trads are becoming hysterical
The Masses I have seen the Pope celebrate over the past few days have been reverent and lovely (even without chanting from the Pope etc)
Even the Sistine Choir seems to have toned down the vibrato They actually sang a lovely "Tu es Petrus" for the Sistine Mass
You will have to worry when he brings guitars and bongo drums into St Peter's (and there are some crazy modernists who would probably love it) I don't see this Pope doing that. We shouldn't panic over less then 6 candles and a chasuble without ermine trimming.
We should be concerned with adlibbing, made up Mass Canons, sermons with dodgy theology. Not the tat

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Possibly, but that is like describing opera as plainsong on the grounds that the tenor ad libbed a phrase in second recitative.

If we push the theatrical analogies a bit further, I'd say it's more like the Birmingham rep's 1923 Cymbelline, the production that reintroduced modern dress to top-flight Shakespeare companies. Still Shakespeare? Of course! A rather dramatic shift? Yes.

The church teaches that "noble simplicity" is what we're to strive for in the liturgy. Except for "distracting noises off" (as they were once described in this august forum), the history of liturgy after the Second Vatican Council is one of seeking the meaning of this phrase. Pope Francis looks set to be making a major contribution to that conversation: one that puts a renewed accent on simplicity. Will papal liturgies cease being papal liturgies? By no means! Will we see some rather dramatic shifts (if we have an eye for drama)? I think so, yes.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Possibly, but in the meanwhile the audience has seen Pinter.

--------------------

angelicum
Shipmate
# 13515

- Posted      Profile for angelicum   Email angelicum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

If we push the theatrical analogies a bit further, I'd say it's more like the Birmingham rep's 1923 Cymbelline, the production that reintroduced modern dress to top-flight Shakespeare companies. Still Shakespeare? Of course! A rather dramatic shift? Yes.

The church teaches that "noble simplicity" is what we're to strive for in the liturgy. Except for "distracting noises off" (as they were once described in this august forum), the history of liturgy after the Second Vatican Council is one of seeking the meaning of this phrase. Pope Francis looks set to be making a major contribution to that conversation: one that puts a renewed accent on simplicity. Will papal liturgies cease being papal liturgies? By no means! Will we see some rather dramatic shifts (if we have an eye for drama)? I think so, yes.

How interesting.

I always assumed that the noble simplicity aimed primarily at the words and structure of the Mass itself - so compared to the Eastern rites, the Latin Rite liturgy is much sparser. No celebrating Annunciation and Good Friday on the same day, etc. Instead of 2 confiteors, we say 1 confiteor.

Your suggestion that the simplicity should be used in the ars celebrandi as well seems to fit - but not have borne out surely when you consider the ad libs, and occasionally very long and preachy bidding prayers, etc.

I wonder if there is indeed a case for the Papal Mass to really showcase what noble simplicity really is - I'm guessing in the style of Le Barroux, or maybe the Cistercian style of liturgy.

So minimal lace but really high quality albs, no flowers definitely, and no organ and polyphony too.

It would look and feel very monastic I'm guessing. Only plainchant, minimal incense, no more offertory procession, no more trumpets etc, fewer concelebrants, mitre simplex only, and certainly no more altar frontals.

It'd resemble most the Papal Ash Wednesday Mass at Santa Sabina, or the Good Friday Liturgy at St Peter's (minus the polyphony) I think. Very austere and very noble in its simplicity. I think we have been moving in the right direction - no one can certainly call Abp Marini's masses noble simplicity for example, perhaps Mgr Guido Marini's are closer - i.e. more silence and recollection, fewer additions to the Mass itself (for example the consistory is held outside Mass), more plainchant. I wonder who can bring us to that next level of even 'purer' noble simplicity.

[ 18. March 2013, 18:49: Message edited by: angelicum ]

Posts: 364 | From: Full in the panting heart | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who read The Gospel at the Inaugural Mass just now?
The most amazing stole!

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was a Greek Catholic deacon. He also read the Gospel in Greek.

The boy who sang the Responsorial Psalm will remember this day all his life.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We here were quite amused by an addition to the liturgy:

As Papa Francesco was leaving the Basilica after praying at S. Peter's tomb there was a slight shifting of the Papal robes as he checked his watch.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
As Papa Francesco was leaving the Basilica after praying at S. Peter's tomb there was a slight shifting of the Papal robes as he checked his watch.

Do you think he had a more important engagement elsewhere?

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

[Big Grin]

That's a bit like the Queen's response to the minister whose mobile phone went off during a Privy Council meeting: "You had better answer that - it may be someone important!"

So I think the Pope's non-singing is not just a preference for stark simplicity, but that he CAN'T sing. I'm sure the absence of one of his lungs must be the issue. It was most noticeable before the Gospel, with the Greek greeting Ireni pasi - peace to all. This has to be given by the bishop, and has to be sung - the former more important than the latter. So the Pope said it. By contrast, the doxology (per ipsum etc) was sung, but it was done by Cardinal Sodano as one of the concelebrants.

I approve of the shorter Mass though! It didn't feel rushed, but it was certainly not as interminable as Papal Masses often feel.

I did think this Inaugural Mass lacked the excitement of Benedict's, and can't quite put my finger on why that should be. Possibly because Pope Francis seems quite austere at Mass (except when he is preaching).

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

Now, see, if it had been Benedict who did that, why the reason would be simple: he's German and things MUST be on time. So he would have checked to see whether he should increase or decrease the pace of his walking speed!

With an Argentinian, could it be the opposite? He might have been afraid that he was on time, which, of course, would have thrown off all the Latin American pilgrims coming to the Mass?

Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got too much time on my hands at work today, so I was comparing the photos from the inauguration mass of Benedict XVI with Pope Francis's from today. The first thing that struck me was the huge change in vestment style - gone is the cloth of gold that Benedict draped himself in. As I was googling for more photos, it also appears that Francis may have re-used his inauguration vestments - there's a picture of him in the Guardian taken five days ago, and he certainly seems to be wearing the same mitre that he did today.

I put together some photos on Facebook - don't know how visible they'll be to anyone who isn't my friend there...
Side by side comparison photo #1

Side by side comparison photo #2

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The funny thing is, both the cross and the pallium Benedict is donning in those photos are throw backs from the papacy of JPII and something which Benedict himself later changed to a more traditional style. So with the exception of the colour of the vestments and shoes one could argue that Francis is still somewhat in continuity with Benedict. Of course, that does not been Francis might at sometime in the future change back. It's possible, even likely perhaps, but we shall see.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

quote:
Originally posted by Inanna:
gone is the cloth of gold that Benedict draped himself in.

An unfortunate turn of phrase, but perhaps expressing where you are coming from?

Certainly the new Pope's mitre is "recycled". It's the same mitre he wore as Archbishop of Buenos Aires. Presumably the chasuble and dalmatics had to be quickly made in order to match? Or they were flown in from Argentina for the occasion.

The accoutrements of office at the installation Mass are usually decided ahead of time by the Master of Pontifical Ceremonies, so I assume that Pope Benedict's were arranged by Archbishop Piero Marini. When he left there was a distinct style shift, much to the delight of some. His replacement, Mgr Guido Marini, must have trawled through all the basement cupboards at St Peter's because all sorts of things made re-appearances - and that's the right word. They too were "recycled", but from previous popes rather than his own cupboard.

You might equally have compared the simplicity of Benedict seated on his Chair at his inauguration, with the rather more splendid affair used by Pope Francis.

These things change, evolve and come and go. I personally like noble simplicity, as Sacrosanctum Concilium n.34 of the Second Vatican Council asks for. The two go together. I hope we don't have a sudden rush of apparently "simple" things at the expense of nobility - just as a creeping tendency to have "noble" things at the expense of simplicity is not always good.

At any rate, comparisons are odious as they say, and I want to avoid them. The Romans say "after a fat pope comes a thin pope". In other words each one is very different from the one who came before.

--------------------

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me, one of the striking (and pleasing) things is how straightforward an affair it was - they just got on with it. As one of the newspapers pointed out a few days ago, it is noticeable that the Catholic Church has gone from Benedict's notice of resignation to today in what, about six weeks. In comparison it is over a year since Rowan Williams announced his intention to resign, and the AB of C's enthronement isn't until Thursday. OK, this is largely to do with the structure of Anglicanism (especially the established nature of the CofE), but it is still a striking difference. And I'm sure we'll see a lot more razzmatazz at Canterbury.

And I did like the distribution of communion, with the lovely procession of Vatican umbrellas - so nearly flags.

--------------------

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone know if there are going to be any repeats of the service/highlights on TV/radio at any point or will those who missed it have to resort to iPlayer?
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
Indeed, having watched his first Mass as Pope, he is every inch the Jesuit - liturgically stark and minimalist. Not all Jesuits are bonkers, or antinomian or all-over-the-place liturgically, but I think they do tend to be rather stark.

He said Mass with devotion and intensity, but not rubrical accuracy. I'm sure someone will be able to have a word about the latter.

Poor Mgr Guido Marini. Looking glum and depressed is his default position, but he must be completely so at the moment. I noticed there was no lace on him today [Snigger] . I wonder how long he will last.

I think poor Guido was out of his lace within 24 hours of the election. Today no lace was seen on any of the ministers of the Mass. This might be just the right time in Rome to pick up some heavily marked down lace trimmed vesture - if you have a taste for that sort of thing, that is. [Killing me]

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rob:
I think poor Guido was out of his lace within 24 hours of the election. Today no lace was seen on any of the ministers of the Mass. This might be just the right time in Rome to pick up some heavily marked down lace trimmed vesture - if you have a taste for that sort of thing, that is. [Killing me]

I think you must have been watching on the radio, Mr Rob. Mgr Marini and the other ceremoniare all had a strip of lace about three inches wide set into their cottas. If we used hash tags around here there'd be a lot of #makingthepapacyinmyownimage going on.

I think it was FrTT, but if not my apologies, who suggested the non-singing might be related to the lung. I don't think so. I think it's related to being a poor singer, actually a very poor singer. He's not quite tone deaf but he certainly can't carry a tune even when accompanied. Still, not that much of a disadvantage these days. Pius XI sang poorly, as did Leo XIII, I'm told.

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That isn't lace!
There is a technical embroidery name for it (cut work??) which describes when threads of the fabric are pulled out or cut or something to create a "Nice Pattern".
Though usually for Msgr Guido it covers about 1/3 of the length of the body of the cotta. Not just a token band. And this one looks shorter than usual as well.

Has anyone seen Archbishop Georg?
I think I saw him at St Peter's Square in a wide-angle shot. He was wearing a black soutane with fuchsia facia (??)

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
That isn't lace!
There is a technical embroidery name for it (cut work??) which describes when threads of the fabric are pulled out or cut or something to create a "Nice Pattern".

It's called drawn thread-work, which I have on both my alb and my cotta. The work on the cotta is hand done (by an older nun of an order here in Sydney who derives their income from selling vestments etc. Unfortunately, the poor soul has gone nearly blind from all of that close work.) The work on my alb (from Jesus and Mary (i.e. J&M) over there in Newcastle UK) is machine made.

I am sure the prelate of the Vatican etc have hand-made examples - I like it as less fussy than lace but maintaining elegance and style/

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
angelicum
Shipmate
# 13515

- Posted      Profile for angelicum   Email angelicum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The deacons of the Mass were all in lace albs.

Abp Ganswein was present dressed in choir dress (and mozetta) as one of the two prelates who follow directly behind the Holy Father in procession.

I'm not entirely sure why people are so determined to make the new Pope out to be some kind of harsh dictator. He doesn't strike me as the sort to be so dismissive of a hardworking cleric, not to mention all his modern predecessors by calling his work in offering a mozetta a carnival, nor does he strike me as the sort to care very much whether people wear lace or not. Just because he doesn't wear lace doesn't mean he looks unfavourably on those who do. Certainly given his great concern for the poor, he could well be acquainted with how his predecessor St Pius X helped the unemployed in Venice by starting a school of 600 lace workers.

[ 20. March 2013, 12:45: Message edited by: angelicum ]

Posts: 364 | From: Full in the panting heart | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:

... That isn't lace!

'There is a technical embroidery name for it (cut work??) which describes when threads of the fabric are pulled out or cut or something to create a 'Nice Pattern'....

Correct, it wasn't lace at all on the surplices at the inaugural Mass, but banded open weave for pattern relief that you describe. Dear Guido did seem to have the tiniest lace bit of lace on the hem of his surplice, and no doubt he was wearing lace underwear. A lace handkerchief in his pocket to fondle would not been out of place.

I hope this photo shows the typical Roman surplice with some banded work (not lace) now in general use.

Roman open work banded surplice

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now this.

This guy knows how to point us to Christ, which is the most you can possibly ask of a presider.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wondered why he wasn't 'enthroned' on to the chair of Peter and mused that they didn't want to risk him making an infallible statement about the poor.

Then I realised that his cathedral is another church (S. John Lateran?)

Was there an enthronement there on another occasion?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
I wondered why he wasn't 'enthroned' on to the chair of Peter and mused that they didn't want to risk him making an infallible statement about the poor.

Then I realised that his cathedral is another church (S. John Lateran?)

Was there an enthronement there on another occasion?

I'm not sure - I would guess it would follow at another point (the Lateran is
right, by the way!)

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
/The pope has not yet taken possession of St John Lateran,his cathedral as bishop of Rome.
This is why the pope will not officiate (as popes normally do) at the Mass of the Lord's supper in this church.
I would imagine that it will now be after Easter thgat this ceremony will take place.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And now this.

This guy knows how to point us to Christ, which is the most you can possibly ask of a presider.

That is lovely, hart. Thanks for bringing it up.

If women can liturgically represent the apostles by having their feet washed (and I thought the rubrics forbade it) that does open up possibilities.

[ 21. March 2013, 21:44: Message edited by: venbede ]

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
quote:
And now this.

That is lovely, hart. Thanks for bringing it up.

If women can liturgically represent the apostles by having their feet washed (and I thought the rubrics forbade it) that does open up possibilities.

It really doesn't.

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CL:
quote:

It really doesn't.
Would you like to elaborate, or do you instead mean 'I really hope it doesn't'? If venbede is correct that Francis I has broken the rules in some way (he's clearly broken with custom, but breaking the rules would be something else!) then that's pretty important, I'd say. If, however, you feel venbede is incorrect then I for one would be interested to read that view. Just contradicting what another poster says doesn't really add anything to the argument, IMO.

quote:
Argument is an intellectual process, contradiction is just an automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.
From about 2 minutes in [Biased]

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Women having their feet washed as part of the liturgy of the Last Supper have occurred for many decades at least in Canada.

Here, so far, it tends to be 12 men ranging in age from about 18 to doddery. I will see what this Thursday's mass will bring.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shouldn't it be the bishop washing the feet of the priests under his jurisdiction?
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

In the Latin (i.e. Catholic) rite the bishop cannot spread himself so widely as to cover each church in his diocese.

Last year what you suggest is what the Pope did to twelve retired priests of his diocese of Rome. How nice that he had 12 priests, not otherwise occupied, on that night.

Those of us in the trenches make do with what we have.

What Francis, our pope, is doing is what he has exhorted us all to do - to remember the poor and disadvantaged

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shouldn't the priests under his jurisdiction (and for the Pope there will be an awful lot of him) be exercising their priestly ministry in their own churches at that mass of all in the year? (I'm sure the rubrics say all priests should concelebrate at that mass if possible.)

I've been reading Tina Beattie and Robert Daly and have been appalled at the extent to which JR2 stressed the role of the priest as representative as priest, not of the baptized, but of Christ, and Christ as male.

Just because Francis will allow women to represent those who were historically male at the manedatum, does not mean there's snowball's hope in hell of him getting them to represent Christ as a priest at the altar. But it is a strong indication that he will not continue to re-inforce JP2 and Balthasar's sexist teaching.

If I'm overstepping the Dead Horse issue, please remove.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are teetering on a perilous cliff.

1. For the avoidance of doubt, the ordination of women is Dead Horse and all such discussions belong on that board. The discussion of whether women can be included among those whose feet are washed on Maundy Thursday may continue here. If you want to discuss the implications of that (or lack thereof) for the ordination of women, then again that will need to go to Dead Horses.

2. The Ship's policy is that hosts do not delete material from posts except in very limited circumstances (duplicate posts and things that may get us in legal hot water, mainly).

Noting these things, please continue to discuss papal liturgy.

seasick, Eccles host

[grammar]

[ 22. March 2013, 10:16: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
The work on my alb (from Jesus and Mary (i.e. J&M) over there in Newcastle UK) is machine made.

/pedant and tangent alert
J&M Sewing is named after the founders of the company, Joyce Davison and Maureen Waterson.
/pedant alert off
I like the Jesus and Mary though. [Biased]

[ 22. March 2013, 10:23: Message edited by: Morlader ]

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

quote:
I've been reading Tina Beattie and Robert Daly and have been appalled at the extent to which JR2 stressed the role of the priest as representative as priest, not of the baptized, but of Christ, and Christ as male.

You can be appalled all you like but in Catholic teaching the priest as priest is representative of Christ and not as representative of the baptised. We talk of the priest as alter Christus, as 'another Christ' and when he celebrates the sacraments, and especially the Eucharist, that he acts in persona Christi capitis ecclesiae, 'in the person of Christ the Head of the Church'. The notion of the priest as representative of the people is pretty much unknown in Catholicism and I'm not really sure that I've encountered it elsewhere.

As for the maleness of Christ: it's a fact and the question of whether anything turns on it is a Dead Horse.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a purgatorial tangent I suppose, but surely the priest's role is a two-way thing: representing Christ to the people and the people to Christ?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
The notion of the priest as representative of the people is pretty much unknown in Catholicism and I'm not really sure that I've encountered it elsewhere.

Hebrews 5:1?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
This is a purgatorial tangent I suppose, but surely the priest's role is a two-way thing: representing Christ to the people and the people to Christ?

Which is what Robert Daly SJ seems to think in his book Unveiling Sacrifice I have just read.

The NT uses the word priest to refer to two, er, things. Christ our Great High Priest (as per Hebrews) and the priestly people of God (as per 1 Peter). The ministers of that people embody their priesthood.

It was also the teaching of JP2 that an ontological difference between men and women is a part of the Christian faith that concerned me.

It may be the present Holy Father is less likely to run with that.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Here’s Father Robert Daly SJ (like HH), Emeritus Professor of Theology at Boston College, in Sacrifice Unveiled.

"The dynamic of the Eucharistic action flows from Christ to the Church to the Eucharist and ... the role of the priest is embedded in the Christ-Church relationship."

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
The notion of the priest as representative of the people is pretty much unknown in Catholicism and I'm not really sure that I've encountered it elsewhere.

[Confused]

Color me as confused as Thurible.

quote:

In the administration of the sacraments, the priest acts in persona Christi Capitis and in persona Ecclesiae.

CDF note from 2005.

[ 22. March 2013, 17:34: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

I believe the notion of the priest being a representative of the people, for which reason the priest should start the service among the people, or at least process to the front from the congregation, is stressed in Richard Giles' "Creating Uncommon Worship". Which I take as strong evidence that the idea is muddle-headed, wrong, and every effort should be made to oppose it.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016