homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Anglican bishops in black cassocks

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Anglican bishops in black cassocks
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if this should be a 'new topic' but here goes.

Today on his prayer pilgrimage to Norwich, I noted that Archbishop Justin Welby wore a simple black double breasted cassock with black cincture. Interestingly, the bishop of Norwich accompanying him wore a Latin style purple cassock.

Rowan Williams used to wear a black Latin cassock with purple cincture (like the RCs) but without piping. On ceremonial occasions he would wear the purple cassock.

There is a trend amongst some Anglican bishops now to wear the black shirt and not the purple one. This has tended to be adopted by the 'Higher' variety, although ++Justin is not one of those.

Is there a precedent for the wearing of black cassocks by the Anglican episcopate? What might this mean? Will it spread? What are shipmates opinions on this?

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strikingly paralleled by Pope Francis's refusal to don the mozzetta or an elaborate pectoral cross. I imagine the new simplicity is on its way (not before time).

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Weren't purple cassocks a 20th fashion anyway?

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Strikingly paralleled by Pope Francis's refusal to don the mozzetta or an elaborate pectoral cross. I imagine the new simplicity is on its way (not before time).

Come to think of it, they have similar faces, don't you agree?

Pope - Archbishop of Canterbury

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
Come to think of it, they have similar faces, don't you agree?

Pope - Archbishop of Canterbury

Could there be the makings of a TV reality show here? "Bishop Swap" or "Undercover Prelate" perhaps?

[ 15. March 2013, 03:31: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ears. You can tell them apart by the ears. I will have to think long and hard about their different ears and what they might hear differently.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They're the George and Nicholas of our time!

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bishops in black cassocks,
Never reaching an end,
Letters I've written,
Never meaning to send.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Polyester horse-blankets uber alles. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The use of black certainly looks very dignified -rather more so than purple, I think.

I do wish that someone would put ++Juston's white plastic bit in for him as it always loolks as if it is hanging out. With DB cassocks a full collar looks better.

Pope Francis looks just a little like Pope Pius XI (Achille Ratti) on the front of some newpapers yeaterday.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CL:
quote:

Polyester horse-blankets uber alles. [Roll Eyes]
How about this for a joint declaration from the Pope and the Archbishop of Canterbury? - "We don't care what your vestments are made of, as long as they or the fabric weren't made in a sweatshop."

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Purple comes from the Roman Empire and is a reminder of the C of E being established.

Rowan wasn't keen on establishment so wore black - as do many catholically-minded C of E bishops.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

But when did purple come into fashion? I'm guessing about the time that bright red chimeres came in. The gleam of purple, white, red and black is indeed striking. I COULD research it on Google, but surely some Eccles denizen knows exactly where these Episcopal fashions came from.

The purple or blue shirt worn by certain kinds of bishops, the semiprecious ring and all that. Someone knows where all that came from and now the fashion is changing to something simpler.

I've seen priests wear purple cassocks that same as bishop because at one time or other they were a "canon" or "dean" of something or other, or they received a doctorate in something before being ordained (or after).

I've seen old saintly queenly types squirming in glee about having their cassocks and birettas piped because they were getting an honorary something or other.

Sounds like I'm knocking it. Surely all this is better than people who proudly care nothing at all about any of this?

An old Jewish friend once admitted that he thinks everyone one else at the shul prays too fast or too slow--and everyone else agrees with him too.

--------------------

Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I wish more Anglican bishops would content themselves with black chimeres.
Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread may be of interest.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought vestments were supposed to be made of natural fibres ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I have a hankering for the pope to modernise, and wear a white linen suit and a panama hat with a white band. Don't think it will happen.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A certain Bishop of New Westminster was heard sorrowfully observing that people treated him differently because he wore a purple shirt than a black one. His martyrdom turned into irkdom when an academic at the table suggested that he return to wearing a black shirt.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
And I wish more Anglican bishops would content themselves with black chimeres.

Wish they wouldn't wear chimeres, or rochets, at all. Signs of political power and hot protestantism.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Confused] Don't quite follow. But I do hate those frilly sleeves.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If a bishop doesn't want to wear a chasuble, I'd far rather he wore a rochet and chimere than cope and mitre.

I don't see how they are a sign of hot protestantism. I believe Bishop Hooper of Gloucester refused to wear them as a rag of popery.

They are the English form of a bishop's choir dress, which has its Roman equivalent.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
If a bishop doesn't want to wear a chasuble, I'd far rather he wore a rochet and chimere than cope and mitre.

I don't see how they are a sign of hot protestantism. I believe Bishop Hooper of Gloucester refused to wear them as a rag of popery.

They are the English form of a bishop's choir dress, which has its Roman equivalent.

The advantage of cope and mitre is that it is the form of episcopal dress that is likely to wind up the fewest people at diocesan events. Plenty of people would get wound up by a bishop celebrating the Eucharist in choir dress.
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I met a bishop today who wears bare feet and dreadies. He was however wearing a purple shirt. And black jeans. No flamboyant - or any - ring.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I met a bishop today who wears bare feet and dreadies. He was however wearing a purple shirt. And black jeans. No flamboyant - or any - ring.

Not that you could see, anyway.

[ 18. March 2013, 16:41: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least, not until he offers it to you to kiss.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

quote:

Of course it is. I have now idea why TEC bishops wear them at Masses for episcopal consecrations. Tippetless, but frequently with decorated stoles.

--------------------

Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
At least, not until he offers it to you to kiss.

Ew! Stop it!
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Snigger]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't mind purple if it didn't look so pink. Not that men shouldn't wear pink, of course, but when you see the sight of all the bishops together it is rather overwhelming.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

And ironic.

--------------------

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And ironic.

[Ultra confused]
Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

I'm sure I've said this before, but it was + Bob Hardy of Lincoln who was once asked, seriously, by a waitress whether the pinkish shirt he was wearing meant he was 'one of those gay vicars you read about in the papers'.

--------------------

Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
quote:

The advantage of cope and mitre is that it is the form of episcopal dress that is likely to wind up the fewest people at diocesan events. Plenty of people would get wound up by a bishop celebrating the Eucharist in choir dress.
Hmm. I think choir dress should be resurrected for Communion services.
Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
I'm sure I've said this before, but it was + Bob Hardy of Lincoln who was once asked, seriously, by a waitress whether the pinkish shirt he was wearing meant he was 'one of those gay vicars you read about in the papers'.

There used to be two shades of purple for bishops' shirts, known as 'episcopal red-violet' and 'episcopal blue-violet.' The second one was, or so I was told, preferred by low-church bishops. It was a manly shade: a sort of D.H. Lawrence Bavarian Gentian-colour. Perhaps we'll be seeing more of it now.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

As affected as a vast bejewelled mitre, episcopal gloves, with pectoral cross containing a relic, in its way.

I also wish bishops would wear the black chimere rather than the red (isn't the red properly reserved to DDs or othwer doctors or something?). I noted that ++Justin wore the rochet with black bands at sleeve for his enthronement.

Black looks so much nicer than purple IMHO.

When did all this purple sart to come in for Anglican bishops anyway? Was it nineteenth century?

--------------------
sebhyatt

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the Bishop is who I think it is, then the answer to that is that the only difference to his dress that becoming a Bishop made was the purple shirt. So not affected, he is not your normal Bishop and there was surprise at his appointment for this very reason.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
I also wish bishops would wear the black chimere rather than the red (isn't the red properly reserved to DDs or othwer doctors or something?). I noted that ++Justin wore the rochet with black bands at sleeve for his enthronement.

I think all bishops are allowed to wear the red, but I think its supposed to be only in the presence of the Sovereign, unless they have a DD.

And I believe any DD is entitled to wear red chimere, but I'm not sure.

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

..PhDs?

--------------------
sebhyatt

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
..PhDs?

I think not. They are an innovation.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Good question. Nasty upstart German invention (I have one myself, so tongue in cheek here) which we didn't have in England until I think c1919, so perhaps not ever properly considered. AIUI until ++ Michael Ramsey's time diocesans (at least) who didn't have doctorate were given Lambeth DDs more or less as a matter of course, so again it wouldn't have arisen until the 1960s. (I still think that Rowan should have awarded one to Justin Welby, for all that it is a substantive degree rather than nan honorary one: it seems very odd not to hear him referred to as Dr WelbY.)
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps it's a colonial distinction, but I was under the impression that the bishop's alma mater typically bestowed the degree upon his (time was) election.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

LQ, Good to see you're back--but do you know what happened to Anglo Catholic Socialism website ?

Thanks

--------------------

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Purple shirts - or more correctly, purple stocks - came in during the 1920s but did not get any traction outside of the Biretta Belt and other rarified atmospheres until the late 1940s, but by the mid-50 Henry Knox Sherrill, the then Presiding Bishop of PECUSA was considered old-fashioned for wearing black with not ring or cross.

In the UK purple stock and dark coloured suit became the norm in the mid-60s. Fisher regarded apron and gaiters as the fortieth article; Michael Ramsey's indifferent motor skills meant that he had problems with them. However, some bishops continued to wear them occasionally down to the 1980s. I remember Simon Phipps, Bishop of Lincoln 1974-86, would break his out occasionally.

Purple cassocks are c.1900, and caught on very quickly mainly because they reflected the already existing Episcopal evening dress of purple apron, and blue-purple cutaway coat.

Red chimeres are academic in origin being part of the dress academicals for a DD, whilst black one are for "everyday" use. Until the mid-1960s Bishop in the UK automatically got Lambeth DDs, but Ramsey did not really approve and considerably reduced the number issued. However, by then the red chimere things was entrenched.

In the USA, the black chimere brigade was in the majority until the 1960s, then red has been steadily taking over ever since.

My personal preferences are a black shirt with a modest cross and ring, and a black suit. I occasionally do wear purple - usually a quiet version of the usual red-purple variety, but occasionally the blue - generally when I am around other bishops.

I do tend to go the two ends with vestments. Offices, and when presiding (in the old sense) at Mass I prefer rochet and black chimere. For the Mass, and any rite incorporated into it I prefer Mass vestments with pastoral staff and mitre. Unlike a lot of "High-ish" bishops in the US I do not use a cope for the Liturgy of the Word then swap to the chasuble for the Eucharistic Prayer, etc.. The Episcopal variant of "dressing for dinner" has little appeal for me. I think I am a little unusual in that I usually wear the Episcopal Dalmatic under the chasuble at ordinations and the chrism Mass.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016