homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Maundy Thursday/Good Friday all night vigil (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Maundy Thursday/Good Friday all night vigil
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
Is anybody having the Liturgy of the Presanctified. It seems we are and only in one kind........ [Mad] Boo-hoo-hoo....... [Waterworks]

We are but in both kinds.

The Good Friday liturgy has become quite popular - no longer the preserve of a 'extreme' anglo-catholics.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
Vatican 2 forbids us...

Exactly who is "us"?

I thought you were Anglican?

Yes. C of E. Two provinces currently isolated from the greater Western church with whom we hope to reunite.

All our Holy Week liturgies came to us via the RCC so it makes sense to follow the rubrics which come with them.

Of course all us Anglicans in the rest of the world are free to pay no attention to Rome at all. Sorry that Leo feels the rest of us don't count, as Anglicans.

John

The 'two isolated provinces' is a phrase used by anglo-papalists, particularly in the Catholic League, which only has members in Canterbury and York provinces.

As the Anglican Commnunion is not a 'church' but more like a federation, one cannot really speak for other provinces.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
And BTW, who says that the Mass doesn't exist in the C of E?

The Pope?
Well, yes... though has he been quoted on it?
But ISTM that an Anglican who says that it doesn't has somehow to explain in what way the Eucharist (as opposed to understandings of it) can be two different things in two different churches.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
I have to agree with the stripping of the altars to be moving...

That's one place in the service where one has to be careful with the wording of the rubrics. 'Clergy strip main altar' it says in our booklet and I always wonder if we get any disappointed punters in the congregation.
The vigil then continues until midnight.

Having just got used to communion in one kind on Good Friday, the new p-in-c changed it to both. Not quite sure why, but guess he had his reasons.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Having just got used to communion in one kind on Good Friday, the new p-in-c changed it to both. Not quite sure why, but guess he had his reasons.

There's something worthy, I suppose, about meditating on the Blood of Christ on Good Friday.
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Maundy Thursday and the Vigil that follows the Mass.

What happens to the Blessed Scarament at your church? We go to altar of repose. Vigil ceases at midnight, the sacrament goes to a hidden place - why? Why not just remain? Then reappears for Good Friday liturgy - but then where does it go?

I find it a bit of a muddle, IF I stop to think about it [Smile]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC, the MBS is simply transferred after 1045pm Compline to the safe in the sacristy (where a white candle is kept burning to signify Its presence).

It remains there until and after the Good Friday Liturgy (in case of necessity - you never know when some ill person will need it). During Easter Eve, the Altar of Repose in the Lady Chapel will be restored to its usual state, as will the rest of the church, so the MBS will not be returned to the aumbry until after Communion on Easter Day (we don't at present have an Easter Eve Vigil).

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
ardmacha
Shipmate
# 16499

- Posted      Profile for ardmacha   Author's homepage   Email ardmacha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some Conservative R.C. places have solemn Vigil until midenight and then change a few bits and continue the Vigil until 3 p.m. when the Liturgy begins.Some Traditionalists have the Solemn Vigil right through.It was easier in some ways in the old days when the Mass of the Pre-sanctified was early on Good Friday, but then, of course the Maundy Mass was early on Thursday as well.
Posts: 56 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Magic Wand
Shipmate
# 4227

- Posted      Profile for Magic Wand   Email Magic Wand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've had the all-night watch before the Altar of Repose at S. Clement's, Philadelphia for as long as I, or anyone else I know, can recall. However, it's being abandoned this year. I just found out this morning at Mass, so have no idea of the whys or wherefores, but there it is.
Posts: 371 | From: Princeton, NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
Vatican 2 forbids us...

Exactly who is "us"?

I thought you were Anglican?

Yes. C of E. Two provinces currently isolated from the greater Western church with whom we hope to reunite.

All our Holy Week liturgies came to us via the RCC so it makes sense to follow the rubrics which come with them.

Aff Cath? Reunion with Rome? You must be joking. Look what that lot just did at all saints Clifton. There won't be a Church of England left to reunite with anything.
Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

Sadly I've never had a faith community willing to see the whole night through. I love the concept though and would do it myself. The flesh however is weaker than the spirit

Ah, Zappa, here you are again, and I take pleasure in telling you about the TEC parish church of my youth where the Maundy Thursday Watch was kept at the altar of repose throughout the night and through the entire next day until the early evening liturgy of Good Friday. I myself signed up for participation as a teen altar server (acolyte).

As I remember, there was a sign up sheet for teams of two at either half your or 45 minute intervals throughout the night and through the next morning and afternoon. The sheet was always filled, though one of the clergy might take a spot that remained open. Maundy Thursday Mass of the Lord's Supper was celebrated at about 6PM, and the Good Friday liturgy was celebrated at nearly the same time next day.

This was a memorable part of my early years. I'll never forget the almost sexual experience of it; the spring night, the candles, the lingering aroma of incense and the heady fragrance of the flowers.

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:

" ... Look what that lot just did at all saints Clifton ... "

We're all ears here [Eek!] (excitedly)!

Tell us, just what did they do to All Saints Clifton?

All Saints, Clifton (Diocese of Bristol, CofE)

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rob:
quote:

The answer is rescind all three resolutions, although the website doesn't yet say so. The March magazine says they are to discuss them.

To return to topic, it is not clear how long they keep the watch.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magic Wand:
We've had the all-night watch before the Altar of Repose at S. Clement's, Philadelphia for as long as I, or anyone else I know, can recall. However, it's being abandoned this year. I just found out this morning at Mass, so have no idea of the whys or wherefores, but there it is.

Ah, what a shame, yet another one bites the dust. [Frown]

We keep the blessed sacrament at the altar of repose until the communion on Good Friday, then anything left over is stored in the sacristy safe until the Easter vigil. The watch ends at midnight, but starts up again at 8:30 Good Friday morning.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rob:
quote:

The answer is rescind all three resolutions, although the website doesn't yet say so. The March magazine says they are to discuss them.

To return to topic, it is not clear how long they keep the watch.

Carys

All Saints kept the watch until midnight, then the church was locked. It was open again this morning and people could pray in the Richard chapel if they wished, until the Solemn Liturgy began at 1.30.

--------------------

Vertis
Apprentice
# 16279

- Posted      Profile for Vertis   Email Vertis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our church found itself in unusual circumstances this year (giving up our priest for Lent) and so our liturgies were slightly different. The Mass at Maundy Thursday was celebrated at a different church in town, and then rather symbolically the Sacrament was walked through town to our own church, where the Garden of Repose had been set up.

It was an unusual arrangement, but there was something striking about it - it turned several heads as we walked through the streets, and, thanks be to God, the party was a mix of three different churches. It was 8.30pm, but the public were respectful (down to one passer-by genuflecting). It was a good mirror of the journey from the Upper Room to Gethsemane.

Once the Sacrament arrived and was placed on the altar in the Lady Chapel, people quietly left in twos and threes until there were only three of us at midnight; Father gave a blessing and then the candles were blown out.

We did receive the Pre-Sanctified Gifts on Good Friday, obviously outside of the Eucharist, but this again was very powerful, particularly for me as I was assisting at the service. When the MBS was removed from the tabernacle, I got what I refer to as the 'liturgical stepladder' and, being careful not to trip over my alb, extinguished and removed the vigil light in the chapel while the congregation waited.

After the distribution, it felt very much as though "He's gone," both in remembrance in fact.

Posts: 14 | From: Monmouthshire | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Vertis:
Our church found itself in unusual circumstances this year (giving up our priest for Lent) and so our liturgies were slightly different. The Mass at Maundy Thursday was celebrated at a different church in town, and then rather symbolically the Sacrament was walked through town to our own church, where the Garden of Repose had been set up.

It was an unusual arrangement, but there was something striking about it - it turned several heads as we walked through the streets, and, thanks be to God, the party was a mix of three different churches. It was 8.30pm, but the public were respectful (down to one passer-by genuflecting). It was a good mirror of the journey from the Upper Room to Gethsemane.

We used to do that with our last incumbent. The mass in one church, procession up the main road, past the pubs and clubs, to the other church in the benefice.

Lots of incense. Must admit that i was hoping nobody i knew would see me in an alb and tunicle!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016