homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Weird and wonderful relics

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Weird and wonderful relics
Conchubhar
Apprentice
# 17602

- Posted      Profile for Conchubhar   Author's homepage   Email Conchubhar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was recently told by a rather high priest that at the church of St. Mary Magdalene in Oxford on the high altar they had two relics. The first was a tiny piece of hem that had been torn off by the apostles at the assumption BVM as they tried to hold her body down! The second reliquary was completely empty and was believed to hold a breath of the Holy Spirit.
I wonder if any other shipmates know of any bizarre, preposterous or just plain weird relics?

[deleted duplicate thread]

[ 17. March 2013, 08:27: Message edited by: seasick ]

Posts: 7 | From: Alton | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just setting off there now, so I'll have a look.

But it seems to me a fantasy on the same level as the Great Crypt (actually the city's former Ladies lavatories). There are a couple of reliquaries either side of the altar, with nicely labelled fragments of this and that, but nothing notable.

Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is s church in County Cork that during Medieval times had the Virgin Mary's knitting. Needless to say, Cromwell burnt it.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now where was it that was supposed to have one of the stones that Our Lord said would cry out if they could (Lk 19:40)?
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I know of 'Maggers' in oxford, the priest was having you on.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course he was.

Plenty of Holy Spirit today, but fresh, not tinned.

And the relics out of sight for passiontide, behind their rather twee little embroidered covers.

anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of our churches was dedicated to Thomas the Martyr when it was built but after a little local difficulty around the reformation* it has been known as St Thomas the Apostle since the Civil War. I have dreams of a sort of conceptual reliquary, which would contain the Doubts of Thomas the Apostle and the Turbulence of Thomas Beckett.

Anne

* Church damaged during the Prayer Book rebellion, Vicar hung for taking 'wrong' side during Prayer Book rebellion, Church destroyed during Civil War, rebuilt during Commonwealth. That kind of difficulty.

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

The late George Macleod was a master of the almost-relic. From London he obtained for Iona "Was this the bell that called Oliver Cromwell to prayer?" and from the enormous hoard of nails buried at the Roman Camp at Inchtuthil he obtained enough to furnish many a church with "Was it with nails like these that Our Blessed Lord was crucified?"
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
There is s church in County Cork that during Medieval times had the Virgin Mary's knitting. Needless to say, Cromwell burnt it.

He burned Out Lady's knitting? Jesus's little woolly bootees? The bounder!

So ... were we wanting weird? (Warning to the faint-stomached: not so much weird as seriously flaming creepy. And there are ones like it all over Bavaria.)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well indeed, St. Ambrose isn't looking so well either...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Returning to the OP: What was he high on?
They have no such relics at Mary Mags.

(But my avatar is a photo of a rather nice one somewhere in Ireland)

[ 17. March 2013, 19:54: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the Ship, Conchubhar. Eccles is an excellent place to make your first post. No doubt a host will be along shortly with the customary preliminaries.

Is your Alton in Staffs or Hants?

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Conchubhar
Apprentice
# 17602

- Posted      Profile for Conchubhar   Author's homepage   Email Conchubhar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The priest is a bit of an odd one, he comes and concelebrates at our church most Sundays and we are quite low down the candle and yet after mass he always makes references to how high he is, making comments such as: ASMS is too low for me or that the poem 'ultra-catholic' describes him.
Conchubhar
Apprentice
# 17602

It's Aton, Hampshire and my usual place is Alton Abbey and I see you advertise their incense and wafer breads. Thank you for the welcome.
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm an oblate of Alton, so we may have met ...

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Amos:
quote:

(But my avatar is a photo of a rather nice one somewhere in Ireland)

A potato?

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] St Oliver Plunkett

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father frequently brags about seeing one of Jesus' diapers in the Cathedral of the Assumption in Dubrovnik, Croatia. It doesn't get much more international than that.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My two favs are Jesus' umbilical cord and his foreskin.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
So ... were we wanting weird? (Warning to the faint-stomached: not so much weird as seriously flaming creepy. And there are ones like it all over Bavaria.)

Hell a skeleton is nothing. It's the mummified ones that are freaky.

We have a piece of the True Cross™ at our parish, or at least the Pope (forget which) said so when he gave it to whoever gave it to whoever gave it to whoever gave it to us. Was it Voltaire that said if you added up all the pieces of the True Cross it would need a forest's worth of trees to make them? Or something like that.

A lot of the relics that used to be in Constantinople were scattered to the four winds in the Fourth Crusade, and then many were destroyed in the Reformation (as were a third of the books in Britain).

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Conchubhar
Apprentice
# 17602

The same priest that informed me of the relics that started this thread said that to say that there were enough pieces of the true cross to make a ship was only a cruel Protestant taunt. Apparently all known fragments were gathered together in the late 19th century and there was only enough to make up the board at the top above Jesus' head
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:

I thought they had lost all of the foreskins claimed as relics.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:

I thought they had lost all of the foreskins claimed as relics.
No, but they've all been locked away on papal direction, under Piux IX, if memory serves me well.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Conchubhar:
The second reliquary was completely empty and was believed to hold a breath of the Holy Spirit.

This is awesome: Schroedinger's reliquary.

I also really liked the conceptual reliquary.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then there's always the weird and wonderful relics who volunteer to celebrate at weekday Mass, God bless 'em. [Biased]

I'm sure it's on the Ship I've heard of the "relic" of the BVM's morningsickness and some of her milk.

Amos, I always thought your avatar was just some nice abstraction of colors...till you said that, and naturally, I googled for a larger image. [Eek!]

RE: the OP, at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Thomas Edison's last breath is on display in a bottle. (Edison and Ford were good friends.) Am I the only one, though, who read the OP and thought, "The Breath of God has a breath of its own, and someone thought they could capture it?" That's a nice way to explain an empty reliquary, I guess.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alas, the relic offered to Lichfield Cathedral by the immortal Francis Wagstaffe (see p75) appears not to have been accepted for the veneration of the faithful.
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Alas, the relic offered to Lichfield Cathedral by the immortal Francis Wagstaffe (see p75) appears not to have been accepted for the veneration of the faithful.

I thought it was a sin to sell relics?

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

More of a sin than it is to tease a Bishop...

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The same priest that informed me of the relics that started this thread said that to say that there were enough pieces of the true cross to make a ship was only a cruel Protestant taunt. Apparently all known fragments were gathered together in the late 19th century and there was only enough to make up the board at the top above Jesus' head

I don't doubt that those are the origins of the saying but the suggestion that various churches not in communion and regarding each other with suspicion at best would arrange a get-together to measure their relics sounds rather like a desperate attempt at claiming legitimacy. It would seem strange enough if the relics were all in possession of one church body.

[ 18. March 2013, 09:55: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The phrase dates from the middle ages when it seemed every parish church had one. By the 19th century, the fashion had died down and I'm sure thr Church was regulating it a bit better as well.

And of course, your priest's apocryphal tale of getting all the pieces together in one place sounds both ridiculous and impossible.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Evelyn Waugh states, in the preface to his novel Helena, that some C19 scholar whose name I forget went to the trouble of measuring all the then known supposed fragments of the True Cross, presumably in situ: this sounds a bit more plausible.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
They have no...relics at Mary Mags.

Have you seen some of the old ladies of both genders and all ages who worship there?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fëanor
Shipmate
# 14514

- Posted      Profile for Fëanor   Email Fëanor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Evelyn Waugh states, in the preface to his novel Helena, that some C19 scholar whose name I forget went to the trouble of measuring all the then known supposed fragments of the True Cross, presumably in situ: this sounds a bit more plausible.

After consulting various places on the internet, I believe the scholar was Charles Rohault de Fleury.
Posts: 177 | From: Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Thank you.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
They have no...relics at Mary Mags.

Have you seen some of the old ladies of both genders and all ages who worship there?
I've been on placement at Mary Mags, if that is what you're asking. The old people at Mary Mags were a formidable bunch in my day, and no doubt still are. I'd speak respectfully of them if I were you.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither rare nor at one level wonderful, but my 2 x former parish in OZ (wankydilla to shippies) had a relic, I dunno, a fibre of a toenail or something, of St Theresa d'Avila. Incongruous only because I'm not sure what she was doing in the Australian outback. Unsurprising because she has I think dissipated herself around the world 14 times over.

Can't compete with the breath of the holy sprit though. Tautology and all.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Devils Advocate
Shipmate
# 16484

- Posted      Profile for Devils Advocate   Email Devils Advocate   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a relic supposedly of St John The Baptist in our shack. It lives in a reliquary set in a "throne" on the West side of the organ loft balustrade. Needless to say we have NO paperwork for it and it is never brought down to chancel level for veneration.
I believe one can't sell a relic only the Reliquary in which it lives
As far as gruesome relics are concerned the head of St Oliver Plunkett which lives in St Peter's Church in Drogheda has to be up there with the top ten.
I believe someone once played a joke on Father Hope-Patten and placed a feather in an empty reliquary with a notice on it saying " Feather from the Archangel Gabriel" Needless to say he was far from amused

[ 18. March 2013, 22:37: Message edited by: Devils Advocate ]

Posts: 97 | From: Lincs | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They ever recover the heart of poor St Whoosit in Ireland?

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016