homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Vineyard Holy Week no Good Friday (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Vineyard Holy Week no Good Friday
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone assiduously put a card through my letter box advertising 'Free family events' at a Vineyard Church. (Never heard of them before - had to look it up.

I was amazed that next week they are doing absolutely nothing on Good Friday.

Their programme is:

Maundy Thursday Service - Thurs 28th Mar, 8pm
Easter Egg Hunt - Sat 30th Mar, 3pm
Easter Sunday Service - Sun 31st Mar, 10.30am

So they can't be traditional evangelical, with a stress on the atonement, can they?

Is this normal?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

So they can't be traditional evangelical, with a stress on the atonement, can they?

I know little to nothing about them, but that wouldn't be my first guess based on the limited data here. My first guess would be that they view the calender as a resource to be mined when helpful for connecting with broader culture, rather than as a norm to be observed throughout the Church. My second would be that maybe they are having a GF service, but it's not a seeker service, so it's not on the advert.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard Evos say the don't keep Xmas, Lent or Good Friday because "they're not in the Bible" (of course my heart is going "WTF?" while I nod and smile and prepare to excuse myself.

But of course many of them keep Sportsman Sunday and things like that.

So not keeping Good Friday is a tradition followed by many churches around where I am.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two possibilities come to mind (apart from mere neglect of Good Friday): one is that they don't have the use of a building on Good Friday, the other is that the leaders are unavailable for some reason. A similar flavour fellowship round here doesn't have a Christmas morning service, but encourages members to join other churches that do for that occasion.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No one's yet mentioned the horror of Easter Egg hunt on Holy Saturday?

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For lots of evangelically-inclined Protestant churches, at least in the U.S., the calendar just isn't their thing. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't care about the Atonement -- they just don't feel the need to make a special day for it. "It is what it is" as Honey Boo Boo's mama would say.

A friend of mine in Augusta GA worships every Sunday at an Episcopal Church, because Sunday wouldn't be Sunday without taking part in the Eucharist (and he also does appreciate the church year), but also later in the day at a Baptist church where he sings in the choir because he loves being able to sing gospel music, and also he likes the preacher. He'd been away from the Baptist church for a couple of weeks prior to last Easter, and when he went Easter sunday and wondered about the lack of resurrection-themed music, the choir director said, "Oh, I forgot that today's Easter!" [Eek!]

[ 22. March 2013, 20:52: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Twangist
Shipmate
# 16208

- Posted      Profile for Twangist   Author's homepage   Email Twangist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As well as the building issue (very familiar with that one) might they be involved with an ecumenical walk of witness or such like on GF (and as such not advertise it as thier own event)?

--------------------
JJ
SDG
blog

Posts: 604 | From: Devon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes these sort of churches tell their members to join in events of other churches, eg. Anglican, on those days. We even used to get people from Vineyard, and other similar house churches, on Christmas Day coming to our organised services, as there was nothing scheduled for any day except Sunday at their own shacks.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
None of the Vineyard churches I've known have had their own buildings, so that could well be a reason, if they have use of a building on Sundays only.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually reading the OP again, what really surprises me is that they are having a Maundy Thursday service.

All the independent evo churches I've known have done Good Friday stuff (if not their own, then joining with other churches), but I don't think any of them would have recongised Maundy Thursday if it jumped out at them from behind a door.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This doesn't seem at all weird to me. My parents' Baptist church and the United Church of Christ congregation I work for have Maundy Thursday services but no Good Friday services.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also ...

quote:

Sure they can. They just don't think it has anything to do with whether you follow the church calendar or not.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So if they don't keep Good Friday as such, why the Maundy Thursday services, then?

[ 22. March 2013, 22:49: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most ecclesiastical season seem to be disegarded in Evangelical/fundieland here in North America. The preaching will be on what ever the clergy person has on his/her mind .
Tis 1 of the reasons I finally returned to the Anglican fold. [Votive] [Smile]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:

I can go one better. We got a flyer from the local Lutheran shack advertising an Easter Egg hunt on "Easter Saturday," with the date of Holy Saturday.

(And yes, the date is correct...)

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd imagine most Vineyard churches have quite a large proportion of families in their congregation like my NF church (we have around 80 children, about a 20 per cent of the congregation). As suggested earlier, they may be advertising their services that are more suitable for guests and families. My own church has a quiet, contemplative Good Friday service (similar to our Christmas one) with no childcare or Sunday School and I don't expect many of the families to be at the service. I'm guessing they will have similar or suggest attendance elsewhere. I am surprised they have a Maundy Thursday one though.
I don't know much about the Vineyard movement, are their ministers employed or lay? If they are lay then that would also explain fewer services. Not all churches have a building and staff.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They hire a school hall and the school would be closed to pupils on Good Friday so that isn't a problem. Also, Good Friday is not a normal working day here.

Their website reveals that they are not keeping Palm Sunday because they are on a skiing holiday.

Maundy Thursday is going to be some sort of teach-in about the death of Jesus.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Meant to add that trad. protestantism seemed to put more stress on Good Friday than on Easter.

Samuel Pepys diary recorded 500 communicants at St. Paul's Cathedral on God Friday but only 300 on Easter Sunday.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember being in Glasgow in the mid-70s. Good Friday was not a public holiday in those days and I struggled to find a Church which was holding a service - it was ignored by most of the Presbys and Evangelicals although the Piskies did have one. John Knox clearly still ruled the church calendar!

[ 23. March 2013, 09:46: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the rc churches in Glasgow in the 1970s ,as indeed nowadays, would have had well attended services on Good Friday. Of course all those churches would have been 'chapels'.
Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A phenomenon I've observed from contacts who've spent time across the Pond is that evangelical and charismatic churches in North America (not so much here I don't think) tend to develop their own informal 'calendars' - so there'll be a 'Pastor's day' where everyone stops dissing the leader/s for a short while or some kind of 'Moms'' or 'Dads'' thing beyond Mothering Sunday or Father's Day and so on ... and all manner of other commemorations that aren't based on the liturgical calendar.

Sadly, increasing numbers of evangelical Anglicans in my experience hold very loosely indeed to the calendar, the lectionary and anything beyond their own pet emphases and what the latest thing is from New Wine or whatever ...

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

I can go one better. We got a flyer from the local Lutheran shack advertising an Easter Egg hunt on "Easter Saturday," with the date of Holy Saturday.

I can top that. It's the custom in my community for ordinations to the priesthood to occur on Easter Saturday. I was talking to a priest who had formerly worked in a diocesan liturgy office about coming to mine next, explained when it would be, and he replied, "Oh, I'm sorry, but I couldn't leave the parish during Triduum." [brick wall]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the Maundy Thursday service at the church leo mentions is in the form of a teach-in about the death of Jesus, one could conclude that a Good Friday service per se would not be necessary.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They hire a school hall and the school would be closed to pupils on Good Friday so that isn't a problem. Also, Good Friday is not a normal working day here.

Well, that's certainly not the case in the U.S.

quote:
Meant to add that trad. protestantism seemed to put more stress on Good Friday than on Easter.

I've gotten the impression, from admittedly somewhat limited experience, that some of the more "non-liturgical" Protestant or evangelical churches in the U.S. that do Easter Sunday (but not Good Friday) tend to emphasize both the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus all in the one celebration. (Actually, as i understand it, that wouldn't be all that dissimilar from the way the earliest Christians would have done it -- except that for them it would have been an all-night vigil. )

[ 23. March 2013, 14:31: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Most commercial emporia/malls etc, refer to the day between Good Friday and Easter Sunday as Easter Saturday. It's part of the theology of the Easter Bunny rising in chocolate on the third day.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's also the case that a lot of the big charismatic joints' Easter Sunday services would need a massive technical and logistical effort - so they may need to take "ownership" of the worship-space to set up and do tech rehearsals during Good Friday - oand/r completely reset the space ready for Sunday.

Yep - fold in Walks of Witness...

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Area Christians Together organisation hold a walk of witness in our town on Good Friday in the morning. It all ends up with hot cross buns, after which most of them go home. It tends to be just the Anglicans who then hold a 3 hour service in the afternoon from 12-3, starting with readings, then Stations of the Cross, then a sung Last Hour with Holy Communion.

However, if any members of the other denominations choose to stay on, they are very welcome.

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a Vineyard church a couple of miles from me which does have its own building, and which does have a Good Friday service at 3pm. They are encouraging their congregation to invite guests.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Oh and the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Day is commonly known as 'The Takeover of the Flower Arrangers' Day. [Biased]

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or the Dictatorship of the White Lily Brigade.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
All the rc churches in Glasgow in the 1970s ,as indeed nowadays, would have had well attended services on Good Friday. Of course all those churches would have been 'chapels'.

RC churches would have been entirely off my radar at the time, I'm afraid.

BTW I had a (Yorkshire) Methodist friend who was invited to take tea with a very Evangelical family in Glasgow. When they asked him what church he went to, he replied, "Oh, I don't go to Church, I go to Chapel". They nearly threw him out - then (hopefully) had a good laugh!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just checked the website of our local branches of NFI (probably the nearest things we have to the sort of evangelical churches being talked about here):

quote:

...each of our three sites meets on Good Friday at 10.30am, where we will all have the chance to reflect on what Jesus achieved for us on the Cross. Then we look forward to our seven meetings over the three sites on Easter Sunday - seven opportunities to celebrate the Resurrection! Come ready to worship the Risen Lord Jesus and bring your praise to Him!

Seems fair enough to me.

No Vineyard churches in our neighbourhood as far as I know, but there seems to be one at Sutton and they have a service on Good Friday:

quote:

A quiet reflective service with no kids groups. Children welcome, however the nature of the service and its content is aimed at an adults congregation.

Which also seems OK,

I had a look at the website of Hillsongs and they seem to have a "young adults pancake brunch" on the day. Or did before their website crashed my browser. Somehow I suspect I won't be going there in a hurry.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The United Church of Christ congregation I grew up in had a Maundy Thursday Tenebrae service but no Good Friday. It's not that surprising, since Maundy Thursday is typically an evening service and people are working or in school and can't attend church mid-day on Friday.
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I take it back. We do have a local Vineyard church. In fact they meet in a primary school in our parish almost opposite one of our churches.

And their website has for today:

quote:

Palm Sunday:24th March Join us for the final Sunday of Lent as Holy Week begins. 10.30am at Morden Mount

And then

quote:

Maundy Thursday:
28th March

Our Maundy Thursday service will be on the evening of Thursday 28th March. Do come and join us as we reflect on what Lent has revealed.

Which is more calendrical than you'd get from many Anglican churches.

And they did ashing on Ash Wednesday.

But then:

quote:

Easter Sunday:
(No service)

This year we will not be meeting on Easter Sunday (31st March). But we’ll be back with a bang, blowing whistles, clanging bells the following week on Sunday 7th April. So do join us then to celebrate and look towards all this Easter season might bring.

If you are looking for an Easter service drop as a line and we’ll point you in the direction of some wonderful local churches.

I wonder why that is? Maybe they are just a really small group and don't have the people to put something on every week? Or perhaps they are the sort of church that meets up in some big central celebration every now and again. But wouldn't that be on the website?

On the other hand, the statement of faith on the website of that Vineyard church in Sutton is the Creeds.

Maybe we could rent them our building...

DOH! I should scroll down. We already do! That's where the Maundy Thursday service is. So when I said I knew of no local Vineyard church I was wronger than a wrong thing.

[ 24. March 2013, 16:59: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In England though Good Friday is a bank holiday and for many churches it is an important day. With services and often ecumenical services as well.
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

I'm getting more confused now. The website of that Vineyard church literally on our doorstep has a pdf of the Ash Wednesday liturgy that they used, and as far as I can see its Common Worship. They are also recommending privately using Common Worship Daily Prayer during Lent.

So much for stereotypes...

And the one in Sutton had Justin Welby to speak at a conference while ago.

--------------------
Ken

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Perhaps the Church that isn't meeting on Easter Sunday has simply recognised the problem of so many folk in London "going away for Easter", and the fact that the once-a-year folk are most likely to attend the Parish Church.

Or perhaps they've got a group booking at Spring Harvest ...

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

I guess they're all different. We have TWO vineyard churches within a couple of miles of each other.

The other one (not the one in my OP) advertises a 'Good Friday Reflective - Take a bit of time to think and ponder on the events of Easter with us at the office this year.
We'll be creating a quiet and calm space at the office for personal reflection on the events of Good Friday. Feel free to dip in for a short time or stay for the full 2 hours!' and, on Saturday 'BVs Most Eggcellent Adventure' but no Maundy Thursday.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
I don't know much about the Vineyard movement, are their ministers employed or lay? If they are lay then that would also explain fewer services. Not all churches have a building and staff.

The small-ish Vineyard church I'm a member of has a full-time senior pastor and a few other employees, some full- some part-time. The larger Vineyard churches are comparable to large charismatic Anglican churches, I'd say, so I expect they could organise several services over the Easter period if they wanted to.

Our church, like (I think) most other Vineyard churches, places a strong emphasis on home groups so a lot of our church activity is informal, rather than through services and other activities organised by the church staff.

And I think Gamaliel is right regarding the non-calendrical (have I just invented a new word?!) nature of many Vineyard and similar churches. Certainly my church pays very little heed to the Anglican or any other liturgical calendar, although I demur at his suggestion that the alternative to this is following 'their own pet emphases and what the latest thing is from New Wine or whatever' [Razz]

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a friend who is a Pentecostal pastor and he told me that don't celebrate Pentecost/Whitsunday because every Sunday is Pentecost!

It's only in the last generation with the rise of the ecumenical movement that the liturgical calendar has started to make an impact on the free churches.

In The Salvation Army we don't necessarily 'do' Lent.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's 'cos you're abstaining from everything already [Smile]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In some places Good Friday liturgy is in evening when people are free.

I don't know about vineyard I thought it was a movement not a church. I heard of an Anglican Church being a vineyard church but maybe got that wrong.

Good Friday isn't a good day because of its message for families coming to church. That may be a part of it.

In fact come to think of it much of Holy Week is not good for families with little ones - worship quite complex and at bedtime times...

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
It's only in the last generation with the rise of the ecumenical movement that the liturgical calendar has started to make an impact on the free churches.

A bit longer than that, I think. There was a strong liturgical movement in the Baptist Union back in the (very) late 50s/early 60s. And the Methodists - especially the former Wesleyans - have, I think, often treated the church year seriously.

The Brethren used to ignore the church year as they felt (following St. Paul, they said) that it was wrong to privilege one day over another. While some ultra-Reformed churches avoided it because they felt it smelled of Popery!

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure how one overcomes the difficulties re families on Maundy Thursday, given that the liturgy really does belong to the evening and night...

Two of our neighbouring parishes deal with Good Friday by having some sort of All-Age Worship in the morning, followed by an adult service in the afternoon (2pm-3pm or thereabouts). It may work for them, of course, but ISTM that it would be better to have (say) a children's service e.g. a form of Stations of the Cross in the Hall, if there is one, concurrent with the Liturgy of the Day in the church. I am going to suggest that we try this next year at our place, given the growing number of young families we now have.

IMHO it's a pity if the younger members of the church miss out on bits of the Triduum, however complex and/or difficult the theology might be.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
100% agree BF.

The colour, the symbolism, the light, the dark speak at deep and profound, and children's level.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
I don't know about vineyard I thought it was a movement not a church. I heard of an Anglican Church being a vineyard church but maybe got that wrong.

We call ourselves the Vineyard Church 'movement' or 'association of churches', but in essence it's a denomination like Anglican, Southern Baptist, Assemblies of God etc. etc.

Mind you, I don't personally think of myself as a 'Vineyarder', like others describe themselves as a Methodist, Roman Catholic or whatever. If I relocated or if my church closed, I think I'd look for another Vineyard church first but it wouldn't massively bother me if there wasn't one nearby (I can easily imagine myself in a charismatic Baptist church, for example). Not sure how many of my fellow 'Vineyarders' would feel the same way though...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:

We call ourselves the Vineyard Church 'movement' or 'association of churches', but in essence it's a denomination like Anglican, Southern Baptist, Assemblies of God etc. etc.

Mind you, I don't personally think of myself as a 'Vineyarder', like others describe themselves as a Methodist, Roman Catholic or whatever. If I relocated or if my church closed, I think I'd look for another Vineyard church first but it wouldn't massively bother me if there wasn't one nearby (I can easily imagine myself in a charismatic Baptist church, for example). Not sure how many of my fellow 'Vineyarders' would feel the same way though...

I think many of us in NFI churches would be similar in our thinking, I certainly consider myself non-denominational and have attended Baptist and Anglican churches prior to my current church.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd suggest, South Coast Kevin that many Vineyard folk would feel comfortable in a charismatic Baptist setting and vice-versa.

There does seem to be an awareness of Calendrical issues (can I keep coining the phrase you've coined? [Biased] ) among charismatic Baptists, though ... I've known some who've used the Lectionary for instance - although whether they've kept this up, I don't know.

I was being snarky with my comment about the 'latest New Wine thing' but I would tend to regard Vineyard, most charismatic Baptist and many charismatic Anglican churches as being part of the same continuum.

On the whole, these days I think most Vineyard people are less 'full-on' charismatic than they used to be even 15 or 20 years ago ... they are at the milder end of the charismatic spectrum. I expect some to morph into a modern-day form of Quaker quietism at some point soon-ish.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leo if i'm following this right, the church in question is having n evening to pause and ponder the journey that Jesus took to the cross. they will be experiencing the Stations of the Cross, the Lord's Supper and a time of worship and prayer.
Which sounds fairly OK to me.

Bishops Finger has it i think....for who knows why this particular Vineyard are not having a Good Friday service? Maybe someone else has the building booked? Maybe having had a communal Maundy Thursday service, Good Friday is going to be a time to reflect and consider before coming together again to celebrate on Easter Sunday.

(Easter Egg Hunt?....well... i'm sure their children will get loads of fresh air and sleep well)

[Razz]

[ 27. March 2013, 17:29: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I expect some to morph into a modern-day form of Quaker quietism at some point soon-ish.

Silent "tongues", eh? The mind boggles! [Devil]

More to the point: we are a mainline Baptist/URC church and we're not having a Good Friday service. Haven't had one for some years.

Why? Two reasons: very poor attendance in recent years, coupled with active participation in an Ecumenical Walk of Witness which starts at our church ands finishes with a collective act of worship in the open air.

We do have a shared Maundy Thursday communion service with the Methodists.

[ 27. March 2013, 18:01: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016