homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Vineyard Holy Week no Good Friday (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Vineyard Holy Week no Good Friday
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
... I don't know about vineyard I thought it was a movement not a church. I heard of an Anglican Church being a vineyard church but maybe got that wrong. ...

This might be confusing two different groupings with similar names, both charismatic.

I'm under the impression that Vineyard is a group of churches in relationship with one another - what most of us would call a denomination. There is also New Wine which is an interdenominational charismatic grouping with quite a lot of CofE clergy linked to it, which has an annual camping convention on the showground at Shepton Mallet.

I've met people with experience of both (different people) but no personal experience of either. So if I'm wrong, please could someone who knows better correct me.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
Leo if i'm following this right, the church in question is having n evening to pause and ponder the journey that Jesus took to the cross. they will be experiencing the Stations of the Cross, the Lord's Supper and a time of worship and prayer.
Which sounds fairly OK to me.

It is a 'teach ion' on the atonement but there is no mention of communion or stations.

Indeed, their website never mentions The Lord's Supper.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
apologies...my fault
i thought you were nearer the other Vineyard

(which does)

mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
Actually reading the OP again, what really surprises me is that they are having a Maundy Thursday service.

All the independent evo churches I've known have done Good Friday stuff (if not their own, then joining with other churches), but I don't think any of them would have recongised Maundy Thursday if it jumped out at them from behind a door.

A little late to this, but I am tickled at the idea of being ambushed by a holy day. Maundy Thursday wouldn't be too bad - you'd probably only get surprisingly clean feet, but I wouldn't necessarily want to be jumped out at by a Pentecost or an Annunciation.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC, New Wine started as a collaboration between St Andrew's Chorleywood and Vineyard.

I guess now the two biggest groups in New Wine are the "more charismatic than HTB" bits of the C of E and Vineyard. There's a lot of interchange between the two.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does strike me as odd. My local nonconformist congo marks Holy Week by daily prayer events, a Maundy Thursday service, two services on Good Friday, an out of doors sunrise service on Easter Sunday (even this week with the cold and clocks going forward there were 70 there at 6 this morning), a shared breakfast for the brave early starters and a climactic celebration starting at 10. The place was packed out this morning, with lots of visitors.

While I appreciate the generally much more informal approach to calendars, I would not much like being part of a congregation which did not join with Christians of other denominations in marking this week in a special way.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But it could be that that the advertising is for 'public' services - they might well have a members only do on Good Friday. I had a brief sojurn with a Christian fellowship in the early 80s (before they invented Vineyard). One of the things that made me want to leave was finding that they had meetings to which I was not welcome because I was not a member.
Just a thought.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
But it could be that that the advertising is for 'public' services - they might well have a members only do on Good Friday.

I'd be pretty surprised if a Vineyard church had 'members only' services, although having services that aren't publicly advertised (which are nonetheless open to non-members) might happen.

Not an issue with my Vineyard church, in any case, as we don't even have a formal membership system!

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is quite an interesting article about leadership on the Vineyard UK website which shows them to be a network of independent churches with some kind of oversight. Their object is to ' preach the gospel, plant churches and change the world'.

Sorry I cross posted with someone who knows better - see above.

[ 31. March 2013, 17:14: Message edited by: geroff ]

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016