homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "The Three Hours" on Good Friday

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: "The Three Hours" on Good Friday
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know the background to the Three Hours Good Friday service? I attended one at St Martin-in-the Fields a couple of years ago and it was a moving series of readings, hymns, choral pieces, silence and brief reflections broken up into convenient half-hour slots for people to come and go.

The popularity for this service seems to have waned and has been replaced by the Good Friday Liturgy (Passion reading, Veneration of the Cross and Holy Communion from reserved element) though I notice a few parishes stick to the traditional three hour slot including the the formal liturgy and adding elements of reflection and preaching before it.

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesuit, innit?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Before the liturgical reforms of the last century, the Good Friday liturgy was celebrated by a handful of people in the early morning so churches needed some sort of popular service for the laity. Stations is one of them, the 3 hours the other.

The 3 hours has become so imbedded in people's consciousness that some churches do 1 1/2 hours of devotion and then start the proper liturgy at 1.30pm

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Church of Our Saviour in Atlanta, the highest up the candle in the city, has the Good Friday Liturgy between 12 and 3. To make it last 3 hours, at the time in the liturgy prescribed for the sermon, they have a hymn and a sermon for each of the 7 last words

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We do it. No idea when it started. Our vicar reduced it to two hours a few years ago, but only once. Everyone agreed we needed three.

It works. People come and go. Over the whole period its easily our best- attended non-Sunday service of the year, other than Christmas.

The various "reflections" and songs and readings have been the first opportunity for many lay people to take part in a church service "from the front".

Its also a very serious opportunity for us to collectively think and talk about stuff we ignore most of the time.

If only there was a real Saturday service other than the (from our point of view) new fashion on starting Easter early.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jebby and 17th century in origin, but widely adopted by High and then middle of the road Anglicans c.1870-80. It eventually made its way into Lowish circles round 1900s. In Anglo-Catholic circles it was strictly speaking an extra with the proper liturgy being early in the morning, whereas in MOTR and Low circles it could be the GF service.

In 19 years in Holy Orders I have only ever done one. I am far more used to the 1662/English Hymnal Litany, Ante-Communion, Solemn Collects, reproaches and veneration, or Matins, Litany and Ante-Communion than I am to the Three Hours.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
To make it last 3 hours, at the time in the liturgy prescribed for the sermon, they have a hymn and a sermon for each of the 7 last words

Or you could just sing "Oh Sacred Head Sore Wounded" a capella without a choir director to keep the congregation on tempo. That could get you to three hours easy...

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The main thing is that there is lots of silence.

My experience is that the Good Friday Liturgy is incorporated into it, either in the last hour or spread out over the period.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Silence is vital, whatever rite or length of service you opt for.

We have Morning Prayer at 930am, with the Solemn Liturgy at 11am. A notice in the church porch says 'Welcome! Coffee and Hot-Cross-Buns in the Hall. Please keep silence in the Church both before and after the services. Thank you.'

This seems to work, and makes it easier for those who wish to use the Church for private prayer.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From my parish's web page:

quote:
On Good Friday the church is as bare as death. Seven preachers offer seven reflections of Jesus’ last words from the cross, interspersed with prayer, hymns, and music to die for, performed by our treasured annual musical guests from all over. This year for the first time we welcome the Quadraphonnes saxophone quartet.
I can't comment on it 'cause I'm always at work and have never actually seen it in action. We do the traditional service in the evening.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
From my parish's web page:

quote:
On Good Friday the church is as bare as death. Seven preachers offer seven reflections of Jesus’ last words from the cross, interspersed with prayer, hymns, and music to die for, performed by our treasured annual musical guests from all over. This year for the first time we welcome the Quadraphonnes saxophone quartet.
I can't comment on it 'cause I'm always at work and have never actually seen it in action. We do the traditional service in the evening.
What do you mean by 'traditional'? It's clear even from this thread that there are many different ways of keeping Good Friday. I've encountered all sorts of ways over a long life time of 'doing' it. Is 'traditional' something more specific than 'how my church has always done it'?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By "traditional", spiffy almost certainly means the Good Friday liturgy, with John's passion, solomn prayers, veneration of the cross and communion from the reserved sacrament.

I don't see anything wrong in calling that "traditional".

Incidentally, she highligts something the English tend to forget, namely they are unusual in having Good Friday as a public holiday. If it was a working day, the "traditional" liturgy would take place after work, as I believe it does in France and obviously chez spiffy.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My church has a slice of the Three Hour Service at an ecumenical deal at the Big Lutheran Church in town. The plan is the seven last words. We have #2 this year. They stick to the timing plan pretty well. My choir is singing "All you who pass this way", from the Taize collection.

Then, we have an evening service at our own (Episcopal) place. From the BCP, communion from Reserved Sacrament, followed by the Stations of the Cross.

We also had the all-night Vigil with people signed up to watch & pray from 9PM Thurs. night to 9 Am today, with MP following.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
We do the traditional service in the evening.

What do you mean by 'traditional'?
I mean, "The service begins on page 267 in the red Book of Common Prayer."

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
By "traditional", spiffy almost certainly means the Good Friday liturgy, with John's passion, solomn prayers, veneration of the cross and communion from the reserved sacrament.

I don't see anything wrong in calling that "traditional".

Indeed - it goes back 17 centuries.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my parish the tradition has evolved considerably over the years as to what is done on Good Friday. They originally had a the Three Hours which had the Seven Last Words followed by the Stations in an expanded form. The next version was 'Ante-Communion followed by Stations.' Then they just did Stations of the Cross for a few years.

The present arrangement is MP, Litany, and Ante-Communion with a sermon in the morning which gets the older or strict BCP folks, and Ante-Communion, Sermon, Reproaches and Veneration of the Cross in the evening, which seems to attract everyone else.

The other Anglican shack does the Three Hours, and the TEC parish Stations at Noon, and the GFL in the evening.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
We do the traditional service in the evening.

What do you mean by 'traditional'?
I mean, "The service begins on page 267 in the red Book of Common Prayer."
Giggle.

--------------------

Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to part of a three hour service for the second time in my life last week. In my county it's an ecuminical affair that alternates between being hosted by my Episcopal parish and one of the local ELCA parishes- the one EC parish in an overwhelmingly pietist area. An assortment of mainline protestant ministers preach, and people come and go as they need to- the service is noon to three. I work evenings so I missed the proper liturgy.

--------------------
“I’m so glad to be a translator in the 20th century. They only burn Bibles now, not the translators!” - the Rev. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known
Shipmate
# 11399

- Posted      Profile for Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Email Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The service I attended was the Good Friday liturgy... that lasted three hours.
Posts: 1833 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016