homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Slimmed down titles? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Slimmed down titles?
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Leo is talking utter twaddle about universities.

Until quite recently, anyone new in our congregation would routinely be asked, 'What department are you in?'
Yeah but that is not the same as asking "Do you have a doctorate?" They ask me that and I reply the name of an admin department in the University. A cleaner can say estates. Even if they say something like "microbiology" they can be a secretary, technical assistant or some none academic role.

It just means that they have spotted that lots of people attending are employed by the University, not that they will not listen to you because you do not have PhD.

Jengie

p.s. two people you do not cross as an academic, the departmental secretary and the cleaner!

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Leo is talking utter twaddle about universities.

Until quite recently, anyone new in our congregation would routinely be asked, 'What department are you in?'
Department?

Life.

Get out more, I suggest. Find a world that isn't just academia or those individuals who can't relate to anyone who isn't a clone.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Until recently, most evangelicals I knew were killjoys.

Oh, leo, where have you been all of my life?
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Until recently, most evangelicals I knew were killjoys.

By 'recently' you surely mean 50 years ago. I've not come across many such in that time (and plenty of judgemental anglo-catholics and others).

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True. Though more like 40 years - when Michael Green, formerly of S. Aldate's Oxford, offered me a drink in Leeds Uni. union bar after a CU mission.

Stereotypes take a long time to die.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known
Shipmate
# 11399

- Posted      Profile for Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Email Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Local 'Piskie priests here (and our sister church, the Iglesia Filipina Independiente) seem to dislike being styled "The Reverend Mr./Miss" past the diaconate. They're usually addressed as "Father" or the gender-neutral local term "Padi" (itself a corruption of "padre" from the olden days in the North, but the use thereof outside these Islands will not fly under any circumstance), although I call the ladies "Mother."

By and large, even evangelical 'Piskie priests here are called "Father." They don't mind.

Posts: 1833 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Enoch:
The lawyers don't usually have PhDs. It isn't a field a person can do that sort of research in. They have to make their name by writing articles and text books or giving expensive opinions. Back in the 1960s, at the time of the wind of change, there was one of them that did quite a sideline in writing constitutions.

The Senior Assistant Solicitor-General here in NSW has a PhD - which he wrote on a famous court case in the 1930s when the Bishop of Bathurst was taken to court for diverging from the Book of Common Prayer when he produced a book of devotional instruction (it really did upset the apple cart here in evangelical heart-land)!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The (sadly late) Justice David Hodgson, of the NSW Supreme Court and Court of Appeal had a D Phil from Oxford in philosophy - Hart said that Hodgson was the best doctoral student he had seen. He had a very substantial reputation as a philosopher, as well as a lawyer, his last book being published only a few months before his death. He did not use his doctoral title in his practice as a lawyer, nor in private life.

[ 07. April 2013, 10:13: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as Canadian lawyers go-- the one law PhD I know uses his Dr at the University, but is Mr when at the bar-- I have a vague memory that there is a judicial protocal guideline on this. The University of Toronto has recently muddied things further by transforming their LLB into a JD (so as to "assist graduate in the global legal personnel market", viz., the US where many law schools issue JDs) but I have not met any of these graduates yet, so do not know if they chance their titular arm.

The qualified canon lawyers (JCD and DScOrient) I know are RC clerics, who do not use Revd Dr, just Revd or Father. One would dearly love to be a monsignor, but for many reasons will have to wait a very long time.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Americans have muddied this a lot in their (to me inexplicable, except in terms of 'title inflation', and very unhelpful) use of doctoral titles for what are essentially Bachelors or Masters level professional qualifications. Mrs A is seeing this in one of the healthcare professions now, where people are getting into a tizz about their American equivalents apparently having doctorates but finding it difficult to see that these are not doctorates as we understand them in the UK.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I mentioned above how the Orthies seem to make Byzantine honorifics sound chummy. As well, I recall well how Irish friends of mine were able to use "May it please Your Grace" to actually mean "Stand over here, eejit."
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
The Americans have muddied this a lot in their (to me inexplicable, except in terms of 'title inflation', and very unhelpful) use of doctoral titles for what are essentially Bachelors or Masters level professional qualifications. Mrs A is seeing this in one of the healthcare professions now, where people are getting into a tizz about their American equivalents apparently having doctorates but finding it difficult to see that these are not doctorates as we understand them in the UK.

Have we muddied it through title inflation, or is just a difference of history? Columbia University have been granting the MD as their medical professional degree (i.e., after four years of training, following a four-year B.A. or B.S. degree) since 1767. The JD, I'll admit, is a horrifyingly recent innovation (not), dating from only the nineteenth century.

Just so everyone is on the same page, the typical American pattern for the various professions would be:
- Medicine: B.A. or B.S. (4 years), then M.D. (4 years); if they want to do research, a further PhD. in biology or a medical field
- Law: B.A. (4 years), then J.D. (3 years)
- Ministry: B.A. (4 years), then MDiv. (3 years)
- Business: B.A. or B.S. (4 years), then some work experience, then M.B.A. (2 years)
- Teaching: B.A. or B.S. (4 years), then M.A. or M.A.T. (2 years)

In large part this structure has been to avoid conferring second bachelor's degrees, since none of the professional degrees involved (M.D./J.D./MDiv./M.B.A./M.A.T.) can be received as first bachelor's degrees.

How does it work in Britain?

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016