homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » A question of ecclesiological terminology

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: A question of ecclesiological terminology
antient
Apprentice
# 17625

- Posted      Profile for antient   Email antient   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered many times, but I'm looking for the specific word used to describe the ritual passing by the priest of a chalice (and purificator) to a properly authorised "Extraordinary Minister" prior to the Communion of the People. I can't remember what it is, or even if it is Latin or Greek in origin, but I believe the same word is used to describe the handing of a Chalice and Paten to a priest at his Ordination. I stumbled across it using google a while ago, but for the life of me can't remember it or find it now. Any liturgically minded geeks out there?
Posts: 5 | From: West Kent | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no reason for this to happen. It is far more reverent, and practical, for the minister to pick the chalice up from the altar. Unless s/he ministers immediately after receiving from it him/herself.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Popectio instrumentorum?

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The word used at ordination is porrection , but that term would NEVER be used in conjunction with handing a chalice to an EM! [Eek!]
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly. There is a fairly big difference between conferring the ability and authority to offer the Mass and making a temporary commission to administer the chalice.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
antient
Apprentice
# 17625

- Posted      Profile for antient   Email antient   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for aiding my failing memory. I had come across the word "porrection" in Fr Hunwicke's blog back in 2010, but the passage of time etc etc [Biased] I do understand that the act has a particular meaning when used in the rite of Ordination, but it has an existence outside that rite, coming from the 3rd declension Latin noun porrectio meaning a straight line, an extension, or the act of extending, as in the unusual but semantically valid phrase "the porrection of the hand of friendship". To my mind its application to EM's at the Eucharist would signify that they are acting on each occasion with the permission of the priest, rather than autonomously.

[ 02. April 2013, 05:03: Message edited by: antient ]

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the RC church these extraordinary ministers of the eucharist are acting in theory with the permission and mandate from the bishop.They are however usually commissioned by the parish priest in the name of the bishop,but there is no noeed for them to be commissioned each time that they carry out the commission.
Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome, antient ... ask more challenging questions and feel free to scuttle far and wide around this glorious and diverse e-community

vis a vis that question it's never occurred to me to bestow a name on the action ... I always hand the chalice and purificator to the liturgical Eucharistic minister after communicating him/her (and usually the other one too) but have never formulated a verb ...

Zappa
Ecclesiantical hosty person

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
antient
Apprentice
# 17625

Thank you all for your kindness and consideration. I do understand that repeated "commissioning" of lay ministers is not necessary, but I feel it is important to understand that their permission, although granted by a Bishop, can be withdrawn at any time, and totally arbitrarily. Yes, the Parish Priest has also commissioned them, but perhaps there are people who are in the congregation for the first time who don't fully appreciate the subordinate nature of lay administrators. It will be instructive and symbolic that the priest hands them the chalice, and they then distribute with his "blessing". Perhaps I'm old and traditional, but the simple gesture of handing a chalice and purificator to a lay assistant can communicate a great deal of the deep meaning of ministry, lay and ordained.
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
In the RC church these extraordinary ministers of the eucharist....

No, Forthview, they aren't. Their proper title is Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. There's a difference and its all in the terminology. They are commissioned only (at least only licitly) to assist with the distribution of Holy Communion at Mass, to the absent sick and on other specified occasions.

The ministry, Antient, is properly "extraordinary" in the sense that they should only be used if there are insufficient "ordinary" ministers (bishops, priests, deacons) present and the liturgical rules make it clear that their commissioning should take place in such a way as to avoid any suggestion of parallels with ordination - no laying on of hands, no porectio instrumentorum. Unfortunately, these prescriptions are often ignored and it is not uncommon to encounter thoroughly clericalised and possessive EMoHCs.

--------------------

antient
Apprentice
# 17625

Perhaps I should have clarified one point. I'm coming from a standpoint of Anglican Catholic (High Church) usage, where authorised lay assistants are the norm.
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
the liturgical rules make it clear that their commissioning should take place in such a way as to avoid any suggestion of parallels with ordination - no laying on of hands, no porectio instrumentorum.

Though in the institution of acolytes, who are also extraordinary ministers of holy communion, there is a handing over of a vessel containing either bread or wine (as I recall).

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think that I suggested that there was any sort of 'porrectio instrumentorum'.There is however a commission from the bishop.
In church the ministers would help when needed in the distribution of Communion but when visiting the sick most ministers would have some sort of other prayers and bible readings - for example the Gospel of the Day and some of the prayers of the day.
Similarly it is not uncommon now in parishes where the priest is unable to celebrate Mass every day for a minister to be responsible for a service of the Word and communion,though there is no suggestion that they are ersatz priests - they are what they are.
In ordinary parlance the word 'extraordinary' is rarely used as the ministers ,both male and female,tend to be ordinary people,serving their fellow parishioners.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by antient:
Perhaps I should have clarified one point. I'm coming from a standpoint of Anglican Catholic (High Church) usage, where authorised lay assistants are the norm.

Actually, in The Episcopal Church, a priest presiding at the Eucharist may designate any baptized person of competent age to assist, pro tem, at the distribution of the communion elements. As a regular duty for that work, the bishop's license should be sought. However, most people in the pew have no knowledge of such arrangements or requirements, nor do they care.

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by antient:

Please forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered many times, but I'm looking for the specific word used to describe the ritual passing by the priest of a chalice (and purificator) to a properly authorised "Extraordinary Minister" prior to the Communion of the People. I can't remember what it is, or even if it is Latin or Greek in origin, but I believe the same word is used to describe the handing of a Chalice and Paten to a priest at his Ordination. I stumbled across it using google a while ago, but for the life of me can't remember it or find it now. Any liturgically minded geeks out there?

It doesn't have a name.

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
antient
Apprentice
# 17625

Pro tem authorisation by the priest is permitted in the Church of England too. I do understand that "commissioning" an EM (or any other similar term for an authorised lay person) is not necessary on every occasion, but there is a useful symbolic lesson if it is done, and with a "pseudo-porrection", as it were. The Bishop's permission has indeed been given to the lay minister, and that is sufficient to regularise their "activity". Here in England, at least, it needs to be renewed on an annual basic, or it lapses on Advent Sunday. Also, the incumbent can withdraw his permission from any such a lay person, for cause, or indeed arbitrarily. The symbolic lesson is that such ministers act within narrow confines, and can only continue to act if the priest permits it. They have no such authority in another parish, let alone another diocese. A priest does. A visible "sending out" each time illustrates the subordinate nature and impermanence of their authority, in contrast to the relative permanence and autonomy of an ordained priest. Disclaimer. I suppose I'm really in favour of the practice because it does no harm, and emphasises "catholicity". IMHO.
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People still read Hunwicke's blog? I stopped bothering after he started enforcing heavy-duty censorship to protect his new chums.
Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

quote:
Originally posted by FCB:
Though in the institution of acolytes, who are also extraordinary ministers of holy communion, there is a handing over of a vessel containing either bread or wine (as I recall).

...and we know why that is, don't we?

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Do we? Please enlighten.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
quote:
quote:

Do we? Please enlighten.
Because the rite replaces, utilises and combines what was, until 1973, two ordination ceremonies: that to the minor order of acolyte and the order of the subdiaconate. The specific part of the rite which FCB highlights was, up until then, within the ordination to the subdiaconate.

The chalice was empty as was the paten.

The rite wasn't then, nor is it now, about commissioning Extraordinary Ministers: it was then about ordaining and now about instituting someone then to an order now to an office that is stable and has ordinary responsibilities.

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since neither acolytes nor subdeacons were/are sacramental ordained ministries (unlike the diaconate and the presbyterate), why does it matter?

[ 07. April 2013, 07:05: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

It matters because the current rite derives its meaning, in part, from the previous one.

Ordination to the subdiaconate was considered to be ordination to a major order. It was stable (that is not normally lost or lapsing, unlike the commissioning of EMOCs) and its duties were symbolised by the handing over of the chalice and paten, that is to the subdeacon not as one of those who would give communion (they were not Ministers of Communion, not even extraordinary ones) but of those to whom the preparation of the gifts and custody of he sacred vessels was committed. That is what the sign signified.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016