homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Easter Vigil - length? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Easter Vigil - length?
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Went to my best ever. One hour, 24r minutes.

Nothing left out.

Is this a record?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure, but the one I went to at a church across the river (as sub-deacon, with our p-in-c presiding and preaching [Big Grin] )lasted just over an hour-and-a-half. Again, nothing was left out AFAIK.

An A-C parish in the same Deanery has its Vigil starting at 9pm on Holy Saturday, and ending at midnight...... [Eek!]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2 hours 45 minutes. Six readings, three adult baptisms.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Nothing left out.

Is this a record?

It must be. How did you manage that? I went to my local church and they only used 3 readings and Psalms and it still took 2 hours 15 mins!
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
An A-C parish in the same Deanery has its Vigil starting at 9pm on Holy Saturday, and ending at midnight...... [Eek!]

Pretty standard, I would say, unless there is a huge class of baptizandi and confirmandi, in which case it would be a little longer.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think about an hour and a half, with only three (short) OT readings, no litany of the saints, but including four baptisms, a noisy interlude pre-Gloria when the altar triptych was opened, and the homily of St John Chrysostom. Followed by fireworks, but not included in the timing.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We came in just under 2 hours, with the New Fire, Exsultet, 5 Prophecies (with Tracts & Collects), Litany of Saints, and the Mass following. No Blessing of the Font, as we don't have a permanent one (getting one is a personal priority).

Last year (our first go at the Vigil) we had 20 people. This year, 34. Still not many, but percentage-wise a huge increase!

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2 hours 45. All the readings, two baptisms, 6 receptions, (so 8 confirmations), about 300 people to commune.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 hour 45 min. (started at 6AM Sunday morning when it still was totally dark).

-- 3 OT readings (with a collect after each but singing only after the Exodus reading) plus epistle and gospel readings.
-- 1 baptism (of a very vocal infant [Smile] ).
-- Being TEC-standard, Litany of the Saints isn't the custom at this shack.

A nice parish breakfast after

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 hr 20mins. 4 OT readings, no baptisms, but blessing of the font and renewal of baptismal vows. I was presiding: I don't do meditative silences at the Vigil in case anybody (including me) falls asleep!

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About 90 minutes for us. Three OT readings with responsorial psalms and prayers afterwards. Brief blessing of the font without the Litany of the Saints, and four RCIA candidates all getting all three sacraments. The church was probably about 80% full.

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Nothing left out.

Is this a record?

Depends on what you did.

My usual Vigil place (Episcopal) is shorter. This year, they had 1 hour and 8 minutes.

Four OT readings (2 followed by spoken Psalms, one by spoken Exodus canticle, one by a capella sung hymn with four verses)

No baptisms, but yes to blessing of water, renewal of baptismal vows, and sprinkling.

Sermon? Yes. 5m30s

Three Easter hymns with all verses sung to organ accompaniment. Sung Gloria, Sanctus, Memorial Acclamations, Great Amen. Sung anthem at fraction.

Smells? Yes. Bells? Yes.

Last year, they were 1 hour and 5 minutes. They're slacking.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were over an hour and a quarter without Mass,* 3 OT readings with sung psalm or canticle (creation, exodus, Jonah), new fire exsultet, Gloria, NT, Gradual, Gospel, Litany of Resurrection, Blessing of water, renewal of vows, sprinkling, commission, blessing of Easter Garden.

But I think the vigil should be long. It's amazing and takes what it takes.

*don't ask, I haven't figured out why!

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We went about 1 hr 20 mins, which included the full Exultet, including bees, but no blessing of the font. Being a BCP parish that ceremony always seems a bit redundant as we bless the water at every baptism.

This being the western outpost of "Snakebelly Land" only 10 people out of a congregation of fifty present. As it has been fading attendance-wise the last few years, I am coming to the conclusion that it might need to be put out of its misery soon.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were about 2.5 hours, with six OT readings and one confirmation.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around a Vigil that lasts less than 2 hours. I can't imagine how one pulls it off. Even when there are no sacraments of initiation we go over 2 hours. Heck, our regular Sunday Mass runs about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

I'm not really interested in a shorter vigil, but I'm curious: what's your secret?

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's usually us Anglicans who take time over our liturgies. Catholics are known for short and snappy! But I suppose if you take it seriously and follow the book it must take a fair amount of time.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry that a lot of Anglican places follow one Times and Seasons option and have the lighting of the fire and blessing of the candle after the OT readings. Surely that messes up the symbolism?

And why has the C of E cut the reference to "O felix culpa"?

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liturgylover:
quote:

Nothing left out.

Is this a record?

It must be. How did you manage that? I went to my local church and they only used 3 readings and Psalms and it still took 2 hours 15 mins!
Longish procession from car park to church with candle sheathed in a glass thing.
Full exultet.
4 OT, 2 NT reading (The Genesis 1 was trimmed but that is an option in the book)
Adult baptism (no Litany of Sts as that isn't in the C of E book)
Mass setting by Sumsion - sanctus, benedictus and agnus only. The gloria was sung to a hymn tune)

so nothing left out
80 communicants

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
no Litany of Sts as that isn't in the C of E book

P24 of this PDF.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:

It hasn't'; I certainly sang it the other night. It appears on p 337 of Times and Seasons (about two thirds of the way down) and in the subsequent alternative versions of the Exsultet.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
quote:

P24 of this PDF.

Thurible

Even better if you substitute a different response. If you don't like 'pray for us' you could sing 'come, join your prayers with ours'.

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow this reminds me that the worst enemy to worship, in my book, is the clock. What will happen when you people will be at the final feast that has no end?
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Somehow this reminds me that the worst enemy to worship, in my book, is the clock. What will happen when you people will be at the final feast that has no end?

They'll be in the hall, making coffee. [Big Grin]
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:

It hasn't'; I certainly sang it the other night. It appears on p 337 of Times and Seasons (about two thirds of the way down) and in the subsequent alternative versions of the Exsultet.
Thanks. The phrase "happy fault" comes at the end of the sentence rather than at the beginning so I missed it skimming through.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
We were over an hour and a quarter without Mass,*

*don't ask, I haven't figured out why!

Some churchmen are convinced (despite evidence to the contrary) that attendance at the Vigil will draw away from attendance on Easter Sunday--so they will only do the Vigil exclusive of the Eucharist. I think that's a terrible mistake, but there you go.

An ecclesiastical superior of mine refused to allow the full Vigil for years for just this reason. I declined to celebrate the Vigil at all if there were no Mass. Finally last year, we acquired permission for the full service, and my experience has been that the people who are hardcore enough to show up for a Saturday evening service will also come the next morning. In the rare cases where this is not so, it's doubtful whether the attendees on Saturday would have been able to attend the next day anyway--we had a number of visitors, for example, from a local non-denom church who came for the Vigil but attended services in their own church on Sunday.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Southwark Cathedral did a vigil with diocesan confirmation but without mass.

I believe the rationale is to allow the newly confirmed to make their first communion in their parish church.

There is the argument that the vigil is the prelude to what is then concluded the next morning.

A church I used to go to used to have a Saturday evening vigil with mass and then a Sunday morning.

The previous rector introduced a 5 am vigil in the dark, followed by 6am new fire (now in the light of dawn) and mass all followed by breakfast.

The new rector is having all that and then the main service on Easter morning is advertised as "An All Age Celebration of Easter". I'd like to think that "celebration" in that title means the eucharist but not wanting to put people off.

I'd rather have the works on Saturday night. The readings are different in any case.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:

I'm rather hoping the feast that has no end won't be happening on the night the clocks go forward an hour.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Southwark Cathedral did a vigil with diocesan confirmation but without mass.

I believe the rationale is to allow the newly confirmed to make their first communion in their parish church.

I wonder how many of them overslept this year?
Anyway, Southwark have been admitting unconfirmed children to communion for years, so this 'first communion' thing is probably irrelevant in most cases.

--------------------

LostinChelsea
Shipmate
# 5305

- Posted      Profile for LostinChelsea   Email LostinChelsea   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were about 90 minutes. Used to be longer, but now only use four readings, followed by collects. Begin, of course, outside with the paschal fire and procession, the Exsultet (no bees, but apiarists could use some extra prayers these days!), and include Thanksgiving over Water and renewal of baptismal vows.

I wish attendance were greater, but at 40 percent of our average Sunday attendance, I suppose that's pretty good.

--------------------
Best when taken in moderation.

Posts: 237 | From: Deep South USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

- Posted      Profile for Sarum Sleuth   Email Sarum Sleuth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Derby Cathedral also had a vigil with confirmation but no eucharist, lasting an hour and a quarter. Record numbers at the main Sunday Eucharist too. I rather like the new arrangement.

SS

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 848 | From: England, 1549 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LostinChelsea:
We were about 90 minutes. Used to be longer, but now only use four readings, followed by collects. Begin, of course, outside with the paschal fire and procession, the Exsultet (no bees, but apiarists could use some extra prayers these days!), and include Thanksgiving over Water and renewal of baptismal vows.

I wish attendance were greater, but at 40 percent of our average Sunday attendance, I suppose that's pretty good.

Bloody near miraculous, I would say! Here in Snakebelly-land we are lucky if we get 20% of ASA.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 hour 45 minutes - everything you could wish for except Litany of the Saints and candidates for Christian initiation.

I was in my element as thurifer and I had much favourable comment about that.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm sorry that a lot of Anglican places follow one Times and Seasons option and have the lighting of the fire and blessing of the candle after the OT readings. Surely that messes up the symbolism?

Why? That's the order I prefer. Vigil kept in the dark and then the blaze of light and on into the Mass. Other way seems to go backwards to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Sarum Sleuth:
Derby Cathedral also had a vigil with confirmation but no eucharist, lasting an hour and a quarter. Record numbers at the main Sunday Eucharist too. I rather like the new arrangement.

When you say new, how new? I ask because you gained a Canon from us last year and I'm wondering whether there is a link there. I'm with Fr Weber on this one, I don't think it detracts from Easter day. In fact one person has said to me that he (and his wife) did the Vigil but avoided Easter morning because it tends to be crowded so they missed communion.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

It was ever so nice, to my mind, having the vigil by candlelight.

But if you have the readings first, you must have some light, or nobody can read. In which case, the first fire is no longer the first light.

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It was ever so nice, to my mind, having the vigil by candlelight.

But if you have the readings first, you must have some light, or nobody can read. In which case, the first fire is no longer the first light.

We just had the readers escorted to the podium by a fleet of (adult) acolytes carrying candles.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I don't want to make a big thing of the difference - having a vigil at all is the big thing.

But if there's a fleet of acolytes, they have to light their candles somehow. In which case there's not much point in blessing the new fire and re-lighting all the lights in the church from it after lights have been in use.

That's what I meant by messing up the symbolism. When I've attended vigils with the fire after the OT readings, the readers have used hand torches and the rest of the church is in total darkness, which, OK I'll admit, has a certain symbolic power. It doesn't seem as cosy as a candlelit church.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The OT readings aren't about waiting in darkness. They're about the mirabilia dei, God's firey love revealed in history. Now, the lights intensify when we get to Christ, there's a newness about him which is yet more brilliant. But that's the contrast: a fire intesifying, not absence to presence.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Glad to hear that theory, hart.

I will admit that I always found it a bit of a disappointment when the electric lights went on at the Gloria after the candlelit vigil. It was so lovely in the light of the new fire on its own.

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This whole thread seems to me to be an object lesson in missing the point, particularly the OP. The point about the vigil is waiting through the night for the dawning of the light of Easter. Patience and waiting in silence are the point of the exercise.

The ressurection doesn't happen until the 3rd day - "very early in the morning on the first day of the week". How darned inconsiderate of our Lord....

I thought our two hours at 8.30 constituted completely unseemly haste. The teneor of the above leaves me completely

[Disappointed]

[ 03. April 2013, 17:55: Message edited by: FooloftheShip ]

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Glad to hear that theory, hart.

I will admit that I always found it a bit of a disappointment when the electric lights went on at the Gloria after the candlelit vigil. It was so lovely in the light of the new fire on its own.

Though not as disappointing as lighting the new fire outside, then coming into a church that still has the majority of lights turned on.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Sarum Sleuth:
Derby Cathedral also had a vigil with confirmation but no eucharist

That's like coitus interuptus.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
quote:

P24 of this PDF.

Thurible

Oh yes - I remember we used to have that at All Saints tide.

But the book doesn't list it as an option for the Easter Vigil

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:
This whole thread seems to me to be an object lesson in missing the point, particularly the OP. The point about the vigil is waiting through the night for the dawning of the light of Easter. Patience and waiting in silence are the point of the exercise.

The ressurection doesn't happen until the 3rd day - "very early in the morning on the first day of the week". How darned inconsiderate of our Lord....

I thought our two hours at 8.30 constituted completely unseemly haste. The teneor of the above leaves me completely

[Disappointed]

But it's the climax of the Christian Year and we want the whole community to be there, kids included.

If we went all through the night, we'd only get a very small turnout - especially as we have already done the Maundy Thursday watch earlier in the week.

The liturgy takes us outside time so we don't need to do 'real time'.

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

quote:
I don't want to make a big thing of the difference - having a vigil at all is the big thing.

But if there's a fleet of acolytes, they have to light their candles somehow. In which case there's not much point in blessing the new fire and re-lighting all the lights in the church from it after lights have been in use.

That's what I meant by messing up the symbolism. When I've attended vigils with the fire after the OT readings, the readers have used hand torches and the rest of the church is in total darkness, which, OK I'll admit, has a certain symbolic power. It doesn't seem as cosy as a candlelit church.

Ah, I didn't see the part about the fire after the readings. We set stuff on fire before the readings, as is right and proper.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Good on you, spiffy.

I've certainly read in my beautifully modulated and thrilling baritone a reading with an acolyte each side and my hand held candle hovering dropping wax over the page.

There is no ideal way of doing the Vigil: here's my totally impractical suggestion that won't catch on -

Lighting of new fire, Exsultet and illumination of church c 5 am or 4.30

Vigil of readings lasting until dawn, so natural daylight begins to show and become apparent just at the Gloria.

I agree it can't go on too long. I've only heard all nine readings when I was staying at Hillfield Friary some thirty years ago, starting at 5 am. It snowed that Easter.

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

[Disappointed]

But it's the climax of the Christian Year and we want the whole community to be there, kids included.

If we went all through the night, we'd only get a very small turnout - especially as we have already done the Maundy Thursday watch earlier in the week.

But that's not a vigil. A vigil is a vigil is a vigil. That may be a liturgy of readings, but it's not a vigil and it's dishonest to describe it as such. A vigil is a process of waiting from dusk til dawn. End of.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

The Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Ennismore Gardens has an All Night Vigil every Saturday which ends before 10pm.

OK, that's decadent, but it strikes me in this self-indulgent age spend a substantial time during the night in prayer can be described as a vigil.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
quote:

[Disappointed]

But that's not a vigil. A vigil is a vigil is a vigil. That may be a liturgy of readings, but it's not a vigil and it's dishonest to describe it as such. A vigil is a process of waiting from dusk til dawn. End of.
OK, so let's call it what the C of E calls it: The Easter liturgy.

Also, How do you account for churches that do a 'Vigil mass' every Saturday evening for those working in shops or hotels all the next day? These usually take 45 minutes.

[ 04. April 2013, 15:30: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------

angelicum
Shipmate
# 13515

- Posted      Profile for angelicum   Email angelicum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Disappointed]

But that begs the question...what specifically are we keeping Vigil for?

In a very real sense, we are of course keeping Vigil for the Lord's resurrection. But of course we also know that Christ is Risen. Every Sunday is celebrated as such as the Lord's day - the Paschal mystery is recalled and represented at every Mass, but especially at the Sunday Mass.

So then, on the very special evening of Holy Saturday - what is the Vigil for? What is the purpose of our 'watchfulness'?

Are we keeping Vigil for the sunrise? Are we keeping Vigil for the beginning of the solar day? Are we keeping Vigil for 00:00 Easter Sunday?

It is clear - we are keeping Vigil for the solemn celebration of the Paschal Mystery, that celebration of the Resurrection which is truly brought into the present at every Mass where once more we re-present to the Father the Sacrifice of Christ on Calvary and give thanks (Eucharist) for Christ's victory over sin and death. 1 Corinthians which the Church refrains throughout her liturgy at Eastertide make this clear - "Christ, our Paschal lamb has been sacrificed for us; therefore let us feast."

It is clear, that we are keeping Vigil, not for daybreak - for we are not merely recreating historical events in their chronology as in a Passion Play - but rather our liturgical Vigil is for the First Mass of Easter. Following those days when the Mass is not offered, we once again rejoice ever more, for the night when in a special way we mark our Passover from sin to life, the Mass, the Holy Bread of Life and the Chalice of Eternal Salvation is offered for us.

Posts: 364 | From: Full in the panting heart | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
The ressurection doesn't happen until the 3rd day - "very early in the morning on the first day of the week".

No so the resurrection APPEARANCES happened early on Sunday morning. And they are commemorated at Easter Sunday morning masses.

The cosmic event whereby Christ defeated death after harrowing hell is a night time event.

In John 20:1 the stone had already been rolled away while 'it was still dark,'.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016