homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » State Funeral for Thatcher (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: State Funeral for Thatcher
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I write, it doesn't seem clear as to whether or not Herself will receive a State Funeral, but if she does, what liturgy/music would Shipmates deem suitable? Given that her background was Methodist, perhaps some rousing Wesley hymns would be appropriate?

Over to you.....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a 'state' funeral but on a level with Princess Di, apparently.

I bet they'll have 'I vow to thee my country'

Somewhere in the bowels of the ship, there is/was a long thread on this subject, in anticipation of this happy/tragic/interesting occasion - delete as appropriate.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O dear God - they're not going to wheel on Elton John, are they.....?? [Eek!]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many hymns fit to O Tannenbaum. If this service is meant to unify the country, I feel strongly that it should be included.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Rope-Holders Hymn has good Nonconformist credentials, admittedly Baptist rather than Methodist ...

[ 08. April 2013, 16:17: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and just when I was congratulating myself on avoiding all this business...

Anyways, I last I saw it was being reported that the Baroness will receive an official funeral in St. Paul's but not a state one 'in accordance with her wishes'.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a boy we used to sing a chorus which started "Marching beneath the banner, fighting beneath the Cross". This could be sung by a Trades Union choir, to wistfully bring back happy memories of industrial conflict that occurred during her reign.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
The Baroness will receive an official funeral in St. Paul's but not a state one 'in accordance with her wishes'.

That's nicely ambiguous - you imply that her wishes were for a State one but that she won't get it. Which isn't, I think, what you meant!
Swick
Shipmate
# 8773

- Posted      Profile for Swick   Email Swick       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember reading that although Baroness Thatcher was raised Methodist, she became an Anglican.

Great Welsh hymns would be "Immortal, Invisible" and "Guide me O, Thou Great Redeemer/Jehovah."

Posts: 197 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Remembering Thatcher's address to the Church of Scotland General Assembly on the subject of the Good Samaritan, "When I needed a neighbour, were you there?" should be a no-brainer! Perhaps Iain Duncan-Smith could bring a few of his friends down from Easterhouse to sing it.

I'll shut up now.

[ 08. April 2013, 16:32: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quoted by Bishop's Finger
what liturgy/music would Shipmates deem suitable? Given that her background was Methodist, perhaps some rousing Wesley hymns would be appropriate?

• the Croft/Purcell settings of The Sentences
  • Guide me, O thou great Redeemer
  • The God of love my Shepherd is (Psalm 23)
  • Parry's setting of Tennyson's Crossing the Bar as a motet
  • Sunset played by the band of HM Royal Marines
  • Praise, my soul, the King of Heaven
  • Elgar's Imperial March as the coffin leaves the cathedral

Yes, yes, yes - all very trad but probably acceptable to her family (who are, after all, the people whose wishes should be paramount) and leaves very little to arouse the ire of the nit-pickers in the press the next day.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Leaves very little to arouse the ire of the nit-pickers in the press the next day.

Sorry, I had to come in here ... thinking of the way she went for ++Runcie after the 1982 post-Falklands thanksgiving service, I think we most definitely want to include some nit-picker-ire-arousing hymns!

Being more serious, yes of course we should respect the wishes of her friends and family, as for any funeral. The problem is that on these "big" occasions issues like "protocol" and "national sentiment" can easily take precedence, or so I'd assume.

[ 08. April 2013, 16:55: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Baptist trainfan
The problem is that on these "big" occasions issues like "protocol" and "national sentiment" can easily take precedence, or so I'd assume.

I don't think so: otherwise, do you really think the powers-that-be would have chosen I vow to thee my country and the dreadful warbling by Elton John in 1997?

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just heard a clip of her on Desert Island Discs requesting the Largo from Dvorak's 'New World Symphony,' aka 'Going Home', as played by brass band. Entirely suitable for her funeral I would have thought. [Biased]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's out of our hands, surely?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Tasteless, Angloid, but [Killing me]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tasteless, Angloid, but [Killing me]

No. Chickens must surely come home to roost.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some sort of funeral pyre on parliament square as befits the iron lady, nordic style?

Wagner - "The Twilight" surely a la Arthur in Excalibur?

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

... featuring the Grimethorpe Colliery Band with Tara Fitzgerald pretending to play the Flugelhorn, and of course a ballet solo from "Billy Elliott".

[ 08. April 2013, 22:38: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Many hymns fit to O Tannenbaum. If this service is meant to unify the country, I feel strongly that it should be included.

Thurible

They could sing "The Red Flag" to that tune [Smile]

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimSarov:
quote:

Thurible

But not the after-rugby lyrics, I hope.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... Yes, yes, yes - all very trad but probably acceptable to her family (who are, after all, the people whose wishes should be paramount)...

Not if it's being made a public occasion they aren't.

If she were having a funeral normal and appropriate to someone of her background and class like any other retired Prime Minister, then what her family wish for should prevail. This disturbing innovation though, means their wishes should defer to whoever is planning the occasion - whether the family like it or not.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will there be Prayers for the Departed? Will she be sent off to the 1662 service, and therefore receive no personal mention in the liturgy?
Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'The Self-Preservation Society', 'The Family of Man' and 'She's only the Grocer's Daughter'.

[ 09. April 2013, 10:14: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimSarov:
quote:

Thurible

Indeed. That would be insensitive, though, I'm sure. So, they should stick to singing a hymn to the same tune. I'm sure it would help those objecting to this monstrous waste of money feel slightly better.

Thurible

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Red Flag" goes much better to "The White Cockade", anyway. So:

"When wilt thou save the people/ O God of mercy when?"
"O God of Earth and Altar"
"Judge Eternal, throned in Splendour"
Kipling's Recessional.

The last three are the kind of thing that could slip in under the radar of the kind of dim Tory who can't be arsed to think about what they are actually saying.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely it ought to be the Prayer of St Francis (Make me a channel of your peace) given that she quoted it when she came to power. Quite good for irony too.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

[Overused]
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

quote:
posted by Helen Eva
Surely it ought to be the Prayer of St Francis (Make me a channel of your peace) given that she quoted it when she came to power. Quite good for irony too.

...no, please. You and I both know it'll be the Sebastian Temple thing which will spark endless requests for weddings, funerals, etc. (I'm losing the will to live at the very thought...) [Eek!]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Albertus: Kipling's recessional???

I agree it went down well with the congregation at the funeral of Louis Mountbatten - but then it could be argued it was highly appropriate for the last Viceroy?

Perhaps something rather more contemplative - how about "Lord, it belongs not to my care" to St Botolph? Fine words by Baxter, pace a quibbler might say that, given the tense, it shouldn't be sung at a funeral - and the tune guaranteed to flummox the great-good-unchurched who'll be filling the nave of St Paul's.

** Better organ recessional would be the Triumphal March from Elgar's Caractacus d'you think?

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have a look at Recessional. It's all about the futility of nationalistic pride. Alas, as Mrs T moved further from her roots into her sort of neo-Boudicca/ Gloriana persona, she did rather tend towards that.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

I know recessional well - lots of requests for it at funerals in my part of the world, for some reason. Not just our cousins from across the pond who don't "do" irony.

Seriously, I think because it IS Kipling people assume it to be wildly patriotic in a gung-ho way...

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Exactly
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
posted by Helen Eva

...no, please. You and I both know it'll be the Sebastian Temple thing which will spark endless requests for weddings, funerals, etc. (I'm losing the will to live at the very thought...) [Eek!]
L'organist, alas I think Helen Eva's right.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suggest

"Once to every man and nation"

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Albertus got in first with two that I would have suggested "O god of earth and altar", and "When wilt thou save the people", which my mother rejected for her own funeral - she wanted them, but thought that they would alienate the good people of the village who had so obviously rejoiced when Thatcher first got in.
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
I suggest

"Once to every man and nation"

Two serious theological errors and the nastiest imagery I've encountered in a hymn. No. Particularly not if it's televised.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about a bit of penitential purcell ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is everyone here just intent on throwing his own little not-so-funny-or-clever political point into this topic or what? Why is nobody interested in which liturgy will be used? This is a funeral. Diana's was politicized and an altogether ugly affair for it. This just needs to be thorougly Christian.

Let the Lord do the talking and save your student union politics for somewhere else.

Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may have missed something up thread, but didn't the deceased herself express enthusiasm for a hymn "O valiant hearts" which I remember Ken Leech condemning as blasphemous as it identified with Christ those who had fallen in military combat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6q6Z_FonF0

(Click on that link and you can also hear "opera" singer Katherine Jenkins singing "I vow to thee my country", as chosen for Lady Diana Spencer for her wedding.)

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
This is a funeral. Diana's was politicized and an altogether ugly affair for it. This just needs to be thorougly Christian.

Politicised is my fear. Perhaps the crucial question is whether there will be a sermon from some clergyperson or a eulogy from some party hack. Hopefully the Palace will warn them off the latter or the Queen is going to very much regret turning up and getting tarred with a party political brush.

Personally I think her attendance is ill-advised and can only be detrimental for her position and that of the monarchy. I also think there is a good chance of some pretty ugly scenes during the procession.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Queen attended Churchill's funeral, but has she been to those of any other PM? My recollection is that she does not, but rather sends a formal wreath.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
The Queen attended Churchill's funeral, but has she been to those of any other PM? My recollection is that she does not, but rather sends a formal wreath.

You are correct - she has not attended the funeral of any of her other PMs, although she certainly went to a memorial service for Harold Macmillan. She usually sends a representative - Prince Charles went to Harold Wilson's.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I think searching back would show that the monarch did not attend any previous State or ceremonial funerals, going back into the 19th century like Gladstone or Wellington, except where the person was connected to the royal family, such as the Queen Mother obviously or Lord Mountbatten.

Churchill has been very much a one off and should have remained one IMHO.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
... Churchill has been very much a one off and should have remained one IMHO.

I agree. Lloyd George, who was also controversial and flawed, but a greater and more significant Prime Minister than Mrs Thatcher, was buried at Llanystumdwy. There was a large turnout, in spite of its being war time, but it was not a public event.

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
Is everyone here just intent on throwing his own little ... political point into this topic or what?

Yep.

Thurible

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Personally I think her attendance is ill-advised and can only be detrimental for her position and that of the monarchy. I also think there is a good chance of some pretty ugly scenes during the procession.

Maybe she and the queen were friends.

I understand from twitter the police are trying to see if there will be any protests so they can be properly managed.

Personally, I think if people were to protest they should do it the day before. If it is done on the day it should be a silent protest - a la women in black with signs restricted to "Not in my name".

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Maybe [Mrs T] and the queen were friends.

I understand from twitter the police are trying to see if there will be any protests so they can be properly managed.

Personally, I think if people were to protest they should do it the day before. If it is done on the day it should be a silent protest - a la women in black with signs restricted to "Not in my name".

The rumours are certainly the opposite of them being friends. If The Queen gives permission for a ceremonial funeral, though, it'd presumably be a bit odd for her not to attend.

As for protests, I would be very much surprised if there weren't some. Had it been a private funeral, I'd've disapproved heartily. As it is, if it's to be a public event, public protest would seem reasonable. I hope, as you imply, though, that they're not violent.

Thurible

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Yes, you're right. I would have disapprived of a protest. But as you say, they've chosen to make it a public event: they can bloody well atke the consequences. As long as the protest is non-violent, preferably silent, and dignified. I'd suggest something along the lines of 'Ceremonial funeral for Thatcher: Not In My Name' on banners and/ or T shirts

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
quote:

Maybe she and the queen were friends.

A service to commemorate those who died at Hillsborough (which Thatcher helped to cover-up, of course) will happen as usual at Anfield on the 15th.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016