homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Churchmanship of the Diocese of Jerusalem

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Churchmanship of the Diocese of Jerusalem
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As noted before, I'll be in the Diocese of Jerusalem for the next three months.

Anyone have an idea of the worship style or churchmanship of the diocese?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As it happens, we had a sermon from a visiting Honourary Canon of St. George's, Jerusalem last Sunday. He didn't vest but then he was only a visitor so not sure what can one deduce. Being a Palestinian, he was much more concerned with the peace process as one would expect!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As dj_o suggests, I'm sure they have many more priorities than liturgical niceties. But my guess (and it's only a guess, never having been) that it's sort of mildly MOTR.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Wikipedia article on the GAFCON conference in Jerusalem documents the reaction of the local Presiding Bishop. While not relating to churchmanship as much as to theology, it does seem to reinforce that the peace process and the particular role of the Church in the Holy Land trump some of our differences, including the communion-straining ones.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent a couple of weeks in St. Georges. They have a very pleasant hotel/guest house on the Cathedral grounds. Every room has these big medieval walls that a cannon wouldn't get through. This gives a special atmosphere, I felt like a Knight Templar most of the time [Biased]

My views of the Cathedral are very positive. The way I remember it, they have a couple of services every day (at least one early morning and one in the afternoon), sometimes with a bunch of people, sometimes with only the celebrant present. More people come for Sunday service, especially British who live in Jerusalem.

I don't enough about Anglican liturgy to comment on details, but to this layman it felt very 'old-style': readings from the liturgy book, lots of room for contemplation. I liked it very much.

The church is definitely involved in trying to promote peace, and they managed to create an island of peace within all this turmoil. Very impressive.

I'm actually envious that you're going to spend some time there.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A_B might want to stay away from Christ Church Jerusalem (or, conversely, may be drawn by morbid curiosity).
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if St. George's still does sung mattins.

My abiding memory is of hearing the Venite sung in Arabic to Anglican chant.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I recall, it was where I saw Hymns A&M with Arabic words under the music. It was presumably printed right to left.

It was certainly Sung Eucharist when I was there a very long time ago (with Hugh Wybrew as Dean?)

I suspect there are a whole lot of congregations in the diocese, serving different needs, ex-pat, indigenous, Christ Church or whatever.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In any case, I think they have services in English and in Arabic.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do remember Hugh Wybrew reading the psalms so incredibly slowly one weekday that (if honest) it drove one almost nuts.

It has a slight American influence I seem to remember (not the slow psalms). A positive experience though. Moderately high.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
I wonder if St. George's still does sung mattins.

My abiding memory is of hearing the Venite sung in Arabic to Anglican chant.

Not on a regular basis apparently, if at all. I have looked them up on their website to find that out.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ˇFelices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be fair, my last visit was about 16 years ago.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haha Same. I wonder if we were there together?

--------------------
sebhyatt

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Mine was in 2003. I guess I'm sort of a Saint Georges rookie then [Biased]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I can out beat you all, my visit was 27 years ago! I was with SCAWD, and spent the week before at the Scots Hospice Tiberias. Yes we did stay at St Georges and not St Andrews, it was simply more convenient for what we were doing. My memories include singing "We are marching in the Light of God" in the grounds but we were rather self contained as a worshipping group well about half of us were CofS ministers and the rest students.

Jengie

p.s. if you think that is too early for that song, you are wrong. The person who acted as worship leader was the then warden of Iona Abbey. We were using material from Bell and Maule's latest collection (A Touching Place) which was not in print yet.

[ 20. April 2013, 20:08: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Colleagues I have known who have stayed there long term, bar one, have gnerally been middle to high. The exeption, the gorgeous Bishop John Bayton, is nosebleed high (was there lecturing in '95-96) and one of the finest priests and bishops I have ever known.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Intrepid Thurifer
Shipmate
# 77

- Posted      Profile for Intrepid Thurifer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bishop John Bayton use to be the Vicar of St Peters Eastern Hill Melbourne. He still occasionally come for mass.
Posts: 142 | From: Melbourne Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I'm a bit ashamed that I forgot the name of the person who was priest there in 2003. Very sympathetic man.

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

Fr Stephen Need was dean of college there for some years.

--------------------
sebhyatt

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
sebby: Fr Stephen Need was dean of college there for some years.
This is Stephen Need, right? No, it was defenitely someone who looked more Arab than English. It might have been Hosam Naoum, but I'm not sure.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Oh I can out beat you all, my visit was 27 years ago!

No! I first went 32 years ago!

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I recall, there are two Anglican churches in Jerusalem itself.

St George's (the cathedral) is lib cath-ish and largely pro-Arab; Christ Church is charismatic evangelical-ish and largely pro-Israeli.

All as far as I remember, etc...

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the website, there is also a third Anglican parish in Jerusalem itself, St. Paul's, which is home to an Arabic-speaking congregation. Apparently that parish was founded by the CMS in the 1870s, it had been closed since 1948, when it was caught on the wrong side (for Palestinians) of the "green line" between Israel and Jordan. The church was reopened in 2011, so it's a very new parish. Since it's essentially a church plant of St. George's I would expect it to share their liberal-catholic churchmanship.

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
[QB] I spent a couple of weeks in St. Georges. They have a very pleasant hotel/guest house on the Cathedral grounds. Every room has these big medieval walls that a cannon wouldn't get through. This gives a special atmosphere, I felt like a Knight Templar most of the time [Biased]

Unfortunately, according to Wikipedia the Anglican cathedral is Victorian, not medieval- unlike the Lutheran church in Jerusalem, which is a restored Hospitaller church.

A look at the various parish links on the Diocese of Jerusalem website shows that while the cathedral is liberal catholic, the parishes of the diocese have a wide range of churchmanships, from liberal-catholic to evangelical.

--------------------
“I’m so glad to be a translator in the 20th century. They only burn Bibles now, not the translators!” - the Rev. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Custard: St George's (the cathedral) is lib cath-ish and largely pro-Arab
I would say pro-peace.

quote:
Try: Unfortunately, according to Wikipedia the Anglican cathedral is Victorian
I know. But I have a vivid imagination [Biased]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016