homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » So when did you last "do" The Litany (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: So when did you last "do" The Litany
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK. Here's a new one for all you "inclusives" out there:

When did you last either say or (preferably) sing The Litany at your Church?

We always have The Litany at least once in Advent and again in Lent - plus we always try to use the relevant Prose at least once.

Quite apart from anything else, it serves a musical purpose in ensuring that a choir watches the tuning - and I forgive the PP who see its inclusion as an excuse to foreshorten the Prayers.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Inclusives' who don't say the Litany as opposed to the 'Exclusives' who do? I'm somewhat baffled as to the point of this thread, kindly clarify.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lent 1998. Last time I worked in a church with a choir which (more or less) could do it.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which Litany?

Litany of Loreto is one of the oldest still regularly used.

I guess though you refer to Cranmer's Church of England one
[Smile]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chanted on Lent 2 at my church

--------------------
"Liberal Christian" is not an oxymoron.

Posts: 242 | From: Southern Ohio, US | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
Which Litany?

As much as I know what L'organist meant, that's a very appropriate question in response to what she actually posted. At the undergrad seminary I work in, we do the Litany to St. Joseph on Wednesdays, Sacred Heart on Fridays and the BVM on Saturdays.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We do the Great Litany (BCP) on the 1st Sunday of Lent every year. Sometimes it has been chanted and sometimes spoken.

[ 20. April 2013, 03:29: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At Our Lady of Hardwork, we smoke the place up five times a year on the odd Sundays of Advent & Lent by singing the Great Litany in procession.

As much as it is properly a separate service to the mass, we still figure it serves just fine in place of the Prayers of the People.

Edited to add: What does this inclusive/exclusive business mean?

[ 20. April 2013, 06:06: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At home, I try to say the Common Worship Daily Prayer litany as the intercessions every Friday morning in Lent.

I sometimes use the Litany of Loreto after saying the rosary in May and October.

I have been a member of both Affirming Catholicism and the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement, and wish them both well.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've not sung the litany since the 1970s when it was sung (instead of the sermon) during Lent. Although we have done a shortened spoken version since.

Actually, I did sing the Litany in about 2005 in a Creamtealand church I visited because I found the book of choral Litany settings in the vicar's stall. The church was empty at the time, so Mr. C. and I decided to 'Go for it'. However, when we got to 'Thy servant VICTORIA, our most gracious Queen and Governor' (for it was rather an old book), we burst out laughing and had to stop!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Devils Advocate
Shipmate
# 16484

- Posted      Profile for Devils Advocate   Email Devils Advocate   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As one of the churchwardens of our shack ( which is in interregnum) I personally take Choral Evensong once a month ( twice if its a 5 Sunday month) The office is fully choral and ends with the appropriate Anthem of Our Lady.
We then have a hymn and once a month when we have a priest present Solemn Benediction
On the other Sundays we have intercessions followed by another hymn and The Grace
On one of the later Lenten Sundays I sang the Full BCP Litany ( It nearly killed me) It was done from the choir stalls and not in procession but it was done. The only difference from the version in the 1662 Prayer Book was the following additions.

V Saint Mary, mother of God our Saviour Jesus Christ Pray for us.
R Saint Mary, mother of God our Saviour Jesus Christ; Pray for us.
V All ye holy angels and archangels, and all ye holy orders of blessed spirits; Pray for us.
R All ye holy angels and archangels, and all ye holy orders of blessed spirits; pray for us.
V All ye holy patriarchs and prophets, apostles, martyrs, confessors, virgins, and all the blessed company of heaven; Pray for us.
R All ye holy patriarchs and prophets, apostles, martyrs, confessors, virgins, and all the blessed company of heaven; Pray for us.

This was as given as an addition to the Litany in Ritual Notes (1962 Edition)

I have also in the last 9 months used the Litany of Loreto and the Litany of the Saints as I thought appropriate to the particular Sunday. I have also used the full form of Evening Prayer, complete with the opening sentences and the State Prayers on a couple of occasions.

--------------------
"Oh I have wrought much evil with my spells"

Posts: 97 | From: Lincs | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At one stage of my personal daily office routine I used to do the Litany on Fridays. In recent times, for corporate worship, it tends to be Good Friday. Which is probably not enough. I remember as a kid, we did it at church not often, but at least a handful of times a year. Enough for it to cause a general suppressed groan amongst the choir of 'not this again'.
Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I meant to ask. What is an 'inclusive'?

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Litany of the Saints was sung at the Easter Vigil.

Litany of Loretto (Our Lady) is recited weekly by a rosary group.

Litany of the Sacred Heart is sung every First Friday.

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
Litany of the Saints was sung at the Easter Vigil.

Litany of Loretto (Our Lady) is recited weekly by a rosary group.

Litany of the Sacred Heart is sung every First Friday.

None of those apply here.

We sang the Litany straight out of the Prayer Book on the First Sunday in Lent. Personally I would like to see it return every Sunday (along with Matins) because people need to be reminded that they are miserable sinners deserving of God's holy indignation.

Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
Personally I would like to see it return every Sunday (along with Matins) because people need to be reminded that they are miserable sinners deserving of God's holy indignation.

Don't worry. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there quite happy to take that little task on their own shoulders, on their own initiative.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Litany is too long to be used at a Sung Eucharist.

Those churches that sing it on the 1st Sunday in Lent do so because they think Sundays OF Lent so they want to make everything dreary.

If you are going to sing it in procession, then the 1662 version isn't going to fit modern liturgy. We are a living church, not custodians of a museum.

The last time I witnessed a sung Litany in procession was in 1970 when we sang it on Rogation Sunday outdoors.

The last time I encountered the litany of Saints was at an Easter Vigil (but not this year's).

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

We sing it the First Sunday in Lent every year immediately before the (Sung) High Mass.

Nonsense that it's done because it's dreary. It is important to remind us all of our sins before God. If once a year is too often to plead for mercy then something is very very wrong.

Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you are going to sing it in procession, then the 1662 version isn't going to fit modern liturgy. We are a living church, not custodians of a museum.

[Confused]
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First, here's a link to the Great Litany used in the American Church. For comparison, here is a link to its very close relation in the 1662 Book.

Now, let's give leo's post a good fisking.
quote:

Our masses clock in at about 80 minutes. Pasting on the Great Litany at the beginning, picking up the mass at the Kyries, and dropping the Prayers of the People push that up by five minutes.
quote:
Those churches that sing it on the 1st Sunday in Lent do so because they think Sundays OF Lent so they want to make everything dreary.
In your eyes, eight instances of the phrase "miserable sinners" is enough to get down and dreary?! Well, the American Church seems to agree with you and has clipped that drearitude out. What remains is remarkably fresh and up-lifting.
quote:
But, leo. At OLoH we have a modern liturgy, we are a living parish, and we are not custodians of a museum.
quote:
The last time I witnessed a sung Litany in procession was in 1970 when we sang it on Rogation Sunday outdoors.
More's the pity.
quote:
The last time I encountered the litany of Saints was at an Easter Vigil (but not this year's).
Yet more pity. Here is a link to the Litany of the Saints (this url shortener points into Google Books) from the Anglican Service Book, an antiquing of the language of the American 1979 Book. Would that more parishes embrace a full and lively doctrine of the communion of saints.
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of us, who actually do find ourselves coping with guilt from time to time, find the rehearsal of our guilt and its forgiveness in acts like the Litany quite uplifting.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have only heard the Litany (any litany that is) at an Ordination. I have always found it most moving if the ordinand(s) are prostrate whilst it is sung.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ten years ago I attended the Sunday Sung Eucharist at Norwich Cathedral. The choir chanted the Litany (modern language) as an introit instead of yet another bally hymn.

This year I attended a Sunday mass preceded by the BCP litany sung in procession (they have a trained choir). Fortunately the iffy political bits were inaudible but I found it spectacular.

The vicar preached on the need to lament in our lives and the litany was a great corporate lament.

Our fears and misery are an important aspect of life to remember, and they are no doubt better coped with if expressed in a safe space (eg liturgically). (I speak as someone due to have a major operation next week.) They are not necessarily or even ordinarily the result of our own personal failings.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I particuarly enjoy the 'high lords of the Council and all the nobilty' bit. My breast swells to think of them praying for me.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the BCP Litany sung by a choir at a lunchtime service on Ash Wednesday 10-15 years ago.

I have also encountered the CW one used as the structure an hour of prayer. I thought it worked well. Being broken into sections, it lends itself to this. I suspect it's an under-appreciated and under-used resource.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having just had a quick look at the Common Worship version of the Litany, I would agree with Enoch. A useful resource.

We have the BCP Litany after Sunday Matins (also BCP) in Lent.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I believe the CW litany is integral to the Times and Seasons service for Ash Wednesday.

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sundays in Advent and Lent, I sing the Litany with the choir 10-15 minutes before the start of Mass.

The people who want it in their lives are thus edified, and the people who wish to dispense with it can just show up at their regular time.

And of course, the couple that lives less than a mile away but have never managed to arrive in time for the Epistle do as they always do. [Smile]

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by dj_ordinaire

'Inclusives' who don't say the Litany as opposed to the 'Exclusives' who do? I'm somewhat baffled as to the point of this thread, kindly clarify.

Mild curiosity, nothing more. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

quote:
posted by Leo

Why?

First, it can be used in place of the intercessions: any special intentions can be said at the end, if need be.

Second, unless you have a second service to go off and take elsewhere, why should the length of a liturgy be set in stone?

From time to time, when faced with Prayers of the Faithful BY the faithful I've found it a relief to have the structure of The Litany (BCP) rather than some random shopping list of intercessions going through someone's hobby-horses.... [Devil]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every Ash Wednesday, every Good Friday. Said, not sung.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
I have always found it most moving if the ordinand(s) are prostrate whilst it is sung.

Fortunately my diocese of ordination didn't do prostration. A friend from the next diocese up the road and up the candle said he spent the several minutes desperately trying not to sneeze, because of the dust in the carpet.

A sneeze so buggers up solemnity. [Disappointed]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I last did the BCP Litany on Good Friday in my own parish, and the Litany for the Church on Easter Saturday whilst dedicating a Church in Missouri. I'll be saying or singing the litany for Ordinations next Saturday.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
A friend from the next diocese up the road and up the candle said he spent the several minutes desperately trying not to sneeze, because of the dust in the carpet.

Carpet?! When I were a lad, we were lucky if we had tiles on't floor. Mud and rushes were posh.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carpet equals target practice for thurifers in my experience. ;o) I always allow myself a sly smile when I see the patches grafted into the carpet at St Peter's, Oakland, and other places where incense is used regularly. It is one of the marks of the True Church [Big Grin]

PD

[ 21. April 2013, 14:20: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I believe the CW litany is integral to the Times and Seasons service for Ash Wednesday.

But best omitted. The ashing should speak for itself.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
quote:
posted by Leo

Why?

First, it can be used in place of the intercessions: any special intentions can be said at the end, if need be.

Second, unless you have a second service to go off and take elsewhere, why should the length of a liturgy be set in stone?

From time to time, when faced with Prayers of the Faithful BY the faithful I've found it a relief to have the structure of The Litany (BCP) rather than some random shopping list of intercessions going through someone's hobby-horses.... [Devil]

The intercessions take 5 minutes max. The Litany takes 15 mins. So that adds 10 minutes.

no Sung mass should last over 60 mins.if possible.

In this age of multi-parish benefices, clergy usually do have another mass elsewhere and many lay people have to work on Sundays. Plus parking meters - cost.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Some of us, who actually do find ourselves coping with guilt from time to time, find the rehearsal of our guilt and its forgiveness in acts like the Litany quite uplifting.

That is what the sacrament of reconciliation is for.

Every Sunday, even in Lent, is a feast of the resurrection so there should be no grovelling.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Also, where are the children supposed to go during a 15 minute Litany?

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Litany might be long but otherwise I don't see that it is excessively penitential. It mostly consists of intercession.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An issue with the Litany is that congregations like to have their specific concerns included in the intercessions, and especially for the sick to be prayed for by name. General prayers for worthy things don't meet what congregations want their leaders to be praying for. I'm sure there will be some Shipmates who deplore that, along with all the other things they deplore. Nevertheless, whether you like it or not, to be the intercessions of the people, they really must pray for what the people would like to be prayed for.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

quote:
posted by Leo
Also, where are the children supposed to go during a 15 minute Litany?

Why should they go anywhere?

OK, maybe the creche age-group littles could be out but bigger children? Surely you could cover the idea of praying for everyone and the different categories as a special Sunday School topic so that they could follow it through? After all, 7/8/9 year old choristers cope with it so why not other children.

Unfortunately our Sunday School meets at the same time as the main service so most children only come once a month when its Family Service.

As to time taken by The Litany, I do appreciate that timing can be crucial in some parishes but a little judicious thought (short hymns) can make it feasible to do it AND be out in an hour - I know, we've managed it.

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:

We sang the Litany straight out of the Prayer Book on the First Sunday in Lent. Personally I would like to see it return every Sunday (along with Matins) because people need to be reminded that they are miserable sinners deserving of God's holy indignation.

How Calvinist! [Biased]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

The Scottish BCP of 1929 has a nice shorter Litany modelled on that found in the Orthodox Liturgy. It sounds quite impressive when sung.

PD

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:

That is what the sacrament of reconciliation is for.

Every Sunday, even in Lent, is a feast of the resurrection so there should be no grovelling.

Ah, any other feelings I'm not allowed to feel on Sunday?

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
An issue with the Litany is that congregations like to have their specific concerns included in the intercessions, and especially for the sick to be prayed for by name. General prayers for worthy things don't meet what congregations want their leaders to be praying for. I'm sure there will be some Shipmates who deplore that, along with all the other things they deplore. Nevertheless, whether you like it or not, to be the intercessions of the people, they really must pray for what the people would like to be prayed for.

Enoch, please place me firmly among the deplorable.

Precisely what circumstance is not covered in the Great Litany? Frankly, it gives the Orthodoxen a run for their money as far as full coverage of the cosmic condition. (From Basil's liturgy: "And those whom we through ignorance or forgetfulness or the multitude of names have not remembered, do thou thyself remember, O God, who knowest the age and name of each, and knowest every man even from his mother's womb.")

The sick?
quote:
That it may please thee to to visit the lonely; to strengthen all who suffer in mind, body, and spirit; and to comfort with thy presence those who are failing and infirm.
For peace?
quote:
That it may please thee to make wars to cease in all the world, etc.
Looking for social gospel?
quote:
That it may please thee to show pity upon all prisoners and captives, the homeless and the hungry, and all who are desolate and oppressed?
And, on and on it goes. But, you knew that.

Is it a problem that Cramner didn't put in a special shout-out for incontinent and house-bound Aunt Millie? Need a particular shout-out for the Palestinians? Does the congregation want especially to beg God for surcease from ecological geocide? Feel the need to ensure the Almighty is au courant with the situation in Myanmar?

Got an itchy worship committee whose manifest talents are underused?

Fine. Decorate the Litany text with petitions particular to the omphaloskeptic congregation at hand. Just make sure they scan as well as the original petiions. (I'm guessing your committee will leave the invocations & imprecations alone.)

To say, "General prayers for worthy things don't meet what congregations want their leaders to be praying for" either shows a failure of catechesis regarding prayer ("who knowest our necessities before we ask and our ignorance in asking"), or a lack of imagination among the leadership.

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

no Sung mass should last over 60 mins.if possible.

It takes as long as it takes. In our place, that usually works out to an hour and fifteen. If that's too much time out of the week, then there are plenty of places that offer spoken Eucharists where you only have to think about God for a half-hour at most.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

Silent Acolyte, what you're saying may be liturgically pure, but you are telling the rest of us what we ought to feel, what we ought to want out of our liturgy. 'I know what's best. These poor, benighted, weakly catechised lumpenchristians in the congregation don't know what's really good for them. They should be told what the right religious emotions and modes of expression are, and nothing else will be provided. If they don't like it, they're wrong'.

What is the difference between what you are saying and Zach's,
quote:
Ah, any other feelings I'm not allowed to feel on Sunday?

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I think expecting the whole congregation to stop and pray for granny's lumbago every week is to misunderstand what corporate worship is.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

quote:
posted by Fr Weber
It takes as long as it takes. In our place, that usually works out to an hour and fifteen. If that's too much time out of the week, then there are plenty of places that offer spoken Eucharists where you only have to think about God for a half-hour at most.

Hear, hear.

I know that, from time to time, life can be so lousy that an extra 10/15 minutes can spell disaster but, for the most part, it really isn't the end of the world if you get home at, say, 11.45 rather than 11.30. Frankly, with things such as i-Player and the like, its a hell of a lot easier now that years ago.

In any case, is an extra 15 minutes out of the week's 168 hours so much to give?

As for special petitions by name for the sick, infirm, recently departed, etc, etc - aren't these listed in pew sheets (where you have them). In the case of a sudden death, it can be given out before the prayers are said/Litany sung.

And no, Enoch, I don't want to tell you - or anyone else - what and how to feel: but then don't expect me to feel as happy as you may when faced with rambling intercessions for people mentioned only by Christian name that I don't know. It cuts both ways.

[ 22. April 2013, 12:51: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016