homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Electronic Aids to Praying the Office

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Electronic Aids to Praying the Office
sososlowly
Apprentice
# 17592

- Posted      Profile for sososlowly   Email sososlowly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I have my shiny new iPhone, and on it I have the Universalis app for the RC office. And that is a great and holy thing. But I'm an Anglican who, during some years working in a parish got to love Common Worship Daily Prayer.

Does anyone know of a similar app to universalis for CWDP aficionados? I'm aware of the feeds of the texts itself but I'm slightly surprised noone's podcasting the said or sung services a la Universalis.

Any suggestions gratefully received...

Posts: 20 | From: Chichester, West Sussex | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a user of an iphone nor of CW offices but I think this app would be probably be the one. I'm sure there are other shippies who use it.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's not a Shippie, but our parish priest uses it. He also uses his iPod when preaching on Saints' Days.......

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
I'm not a user of an iphone nor of CW offices but I think this app would be probably be the one. I'm sure there are other shippies who use it.

I downloaded it and have it on my iPhone, but it is little more than a repackaging of the CW:DP feeds. I preferred their presentation so I simply went to the relevant page for each office that I wanted and chose 'Add to Home Screen' from the 'action' menu.

You might also look at the myCofE app which gives you access to Daily Prayer as well as a variety of other information.

None of these AFAICT allow you to download stuff in advance (e.g. in anticipation of being offline for a couple of days), nor do they have any sound - they are just the texts of the office. I'm not aware of anything like that from an Anglican source. http://www.pray-as-you-go.org does offer that either by download, podcast or Android app. It is produced by Jesuit Media Initiatives.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've used this for Android.

Don't know if that's the same thing as the appleapp or not.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

sososlowly
Apprentice
# 17592

- Posted      Profile for sososlowly   Email sososlowly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks all for your helpful replies. I've installed the suggested app. As others have said, it's a representation of he web feeds. I guess I just need to bribe some parishes to start podcasting their offices.
Posts: 20 | From: Chichester, West Sussex | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On this website the creator of these apps says
quote:
If you are using an Android Phone I have a considerably more polished app, available for free from the Android Market: Pocket Common Worship and Prayer, which allows you to do things like scheduling prayer times and saving for offline viewing.
The iPhone app and web app are rather more basic.
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

quote:
Originally posted by sososlowly:
Thanks all for your helpful replies. I've installed the suggested app. As others have said, it's a representation of he web feeds. I guess I just need to bribe some parishes to start podcasting their offices.

The trouble is, from their point of view, that for you to have the podcast for the correct day, they would need to do that day's office ahead of time. There is a page of information about webcasts from Anglicans Online which may be some help.
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know why they don't make an iOS app as they have for Android. What I do, is make this:

http://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-worship/join-us-in-daily-prayer.aspx

Into a shortcut. It looks like an app, but opens in Safari.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hezekiah
Apprentice
# 17157

- Posted      Profile for Hezekiah   Email Hezekiah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps not quite what you're looking for, but it works for me [Biased]

http://barrouxchant.com/#

--------------------
2 Kings 3:27

Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SPOTIFY.

Honestly, this has revolutionized my prayer life. You can get pretty much ANY PSALM in an excellent recording, Coverdale translation, sung beautifully by some renowned English choirs.

There are also some excellent recordings of the Scriptures on there, and every canticle you could think of praying.

As an unconverted daily user of the BCP and the AV, the versions online correspond perfectly to what I need.

Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
theblackmonk
Apprentice
# 17662

- Posted      Profile for theblackmonk   Author's homepage   Email theblackmonk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone want to help me produce a Daily Office app for the iphone/ipad based on The English Office & The Prayer Book Office, but using the current Calendar and Daily Office Lectionary? Sounds rad right?! Too bad I don't know how to program.

My idea is that it would look something like this...

MATINS
- 1662 Responses
- Venite/Ps 95/Pascha Nostrum (Seasonally)
-Coverdale Psalter
-First Lesson (BCP Lectionary RSV)
-Te Deum/Benedictus Es/Benedicite (According to Day)
-Second Lesson
-Office Hymn
-Benedictus with V&R and Antiphon
-Apostle's Creed
-The Preces
-Collect of the Day
-Final Collects
-The Grace
-The Angelus

EVENSONG
-General Confession
-1662 Responses
-Phos Hilaron
-Coverdale Psalter
-First Lesson (BCP Lectionary RSV)
-Office Hymn
-Magnificat with V&R and Antiphon
-Second Lesson (From the Fathers)
-Nunc Dimittis
-Apostle's Creed
-The Preces
-Collect of the Day
-Final Collects
-The Grace
-Seasonal Antiphon of Our Lady

The idea would be to celebrate a good selection of Feasts by changing the Hymn, V&R, Antiphon and Collect of the Day, while keeping the Lectionary standard, according to the Season (unless it's a Red Letter Day).

Because the Antiphons in The English Office & The Prayer Book Office are set to the old Calendar (Sundays after Trinity) and Lectionary there would have to be a good deal of searching and shifting, but I think it could be done. As someone who travels a lot I would love it! Message me if interested!

Peace and Happy Easter!

--------------------
"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world". -St. Arnold of Metz

Posts: 2 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome aboard, theblackmonk ... keep up the good work and come and discuss it often [Biased]

Zappa
convivial host

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds very good - but is it not quite similar to one of the options in St Bede's Breviary.

I'm currently using the Daily Service Book (1662 + 1922 lectionary). I've come across iPray for Android which is the same thing. But what I *really* want is an app that is 1662/1928(CofE) arranged for the modern calendar with CW lectionary.

Which is sort of similar to what you're proposing. Fancy doing that for me instead? [Smile]

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016