homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » God is gone up! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: God is gone up!
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder what fellow denizens can tell us about Ascension Day?

Some will undoubtedly debate the propriety of keeping the Feast on Thursday and/or Sunday.

We're hosting the Team Parish Mass of the Day in the evening, and letting off rockets! [Snigger]

What are you doing?

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With a triumphant shout!

There'll be a damp squib of a Low Mass on Thursday and there'll be a banner in the entrance procession but that'll be it, I'd've thought.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately in our local church there will be no Divine Liturgy at all as the priest has a number of churches he attends to, so he will be serving the liturgy in another church. Yes, it would be strange to me to celebrate Ascension day on the Sunday, seven days before Pentecost rather than ten. Fortunately over here Ascension day is a national holiday.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're celebrating our Feast of Title, with our bishop celebrating, preaching, confirming, and receiving. Music list is here.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're a small rural parish so:
  • sadly, no procession
  • choir is likely to outnumber congregation (I rule with an iron fist!)
  • God is gone up by Croft
  • movements from l'Ascension before and after (2 & 4)
  • glass of champagne at Rectory after service

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
We're a small rural parish so:... glass of champagne at Rectory after service.

I hope it's a big glass, and you provide sufficient straws for everyone to imbibe.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ascension Day isn't celebrated out here in the wilds of Presbyterianism, alas.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Solemn High with Procession and yes, though we're a bit reformed, the Extinguishing of the Paschal Candle. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We (meaning I) will be aiming to celebrate communion in the evening in the largest of the four Union churches. With a bit of luck someone will join me. That's been my experience of Ascension Day in recent years.
Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our weekly Evensong is always on Thursday, and we have developed a tradition of an evensong with Eucharist on Ascension. Brewer evening service, Standford Coelos Ascendit Hodie, Finsi God is Gone Up, and Gibbons O Clap Your Hands.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
We're a small rural parish so:... glass of champagne at Rectory after service.

I hope it's a big glass, and you provide sufficient straws for everyone to imbibe.
They're Anglicans. Shared goblet. No wee cuppies.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's an annual ecumenical ascension service at the nearby castle hill at 7.30am (very early for this lark) from which you can see the whole city.
Every year I swear I'll go, every year I forget. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Diocese here did screw up by scheduling a mandatory clergy conference over Ascension day. One of our assisting priests had to get special permission from the Bishop's office to cut out early to be on hand for our Eucharist. They have promised to avoid scheduling diocesan meetings on Principal Feasts in the future. I'd add the head shaking emoticon, but with Western Easter being so early this year, I can see how the schedule might get messed up.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of The Usual Suspects will be keeping Ascension Day at Walsingham, as our annual parish pilgrimage thereto is taking place this week, but there should be enough of us to have a Low Mass tomorrow evening, with hymns and possibly incense.....

......we have invited every other parish in the Deanery to come and join us if they have no service of their own, so one or two brave souls may turn up.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Choral Eucharist 8pm followed by wine and nibbles.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Felafool
Shipmate
# 270

- Posted      Profile for Felafool         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our diocesan offices are shut, so I get a day off! [Smile]

--------------------
I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty - I ordered a cheeseburger.

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
We (meaning I) will be aiming to celebrate communion in the evening in the largest of the four Union churches. With a bit of luck someone will join me. That's been my experience of Ascension Day in recent years.

Might this be your people's way of telling you that they'd rather you transferred to Sunday? I get why people like the 10-day period from Ascension to Pentecost, but liturgy isn't about precise historical mimesis of timing (if it was, every mass would have to be in the evening).

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed, Hart. But if all our celebrations were tailored to fit the convenience of the secular calendar we would miss a great deal. The church is supposed to be counter-cultural.

The UK is on of the few (the only?) European countries not to have a public holiday on Ascension Day. Even secular France does.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Same here, except ours starts at 7.30pm.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our local Cathedral has The Liturgy of Ascension Day at 8pm. From past experience, this probably means the Common Worship provision, complete with Last Gospel, but the music list doesn't seem to be available AFAICS.

I would guess most Cathedrals will have some sort of Sung Eucharist, and there may be a case for local churches with a low (or nil) attendance on this particular day to go and swell the Cathedral congregations!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have my choice of Church of the Advent, Beacon Hill and All Saints, Ashmont. Goooood tiiiiiiimes.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I pulled myself out of bed early to go to the 7.30am said mass at our place before heading to work. There were ten of us.

Full modern language order with all appropriate propers, all readings and psalm, brief reflection and out in 35 minutes. It didn't feel rushed at all. Oh, Creed omitted; I'm sure that's Wrong(TM) for some.

when I was at a C of E primary school in the UK, we didn't have school on Ascension Day. We went to church for a service (at which we always sang the first two verses of Alleluia, Sing to Jesus) thn had the rest of the day off.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I posted
.. glass of champagne at Rectory after service.

quote:
posted by Baptist Trainfan

quote:
posted by Enoch
They're Anglicans. Shared goblet. No wee cuppies.

Wee cuppies? [Confused]

It'll be flute glasses and nibbles - probably salted almonds [Smile]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ascension Day is a crapshoot here, so I schedule the usual services and see what happens. So...

9.35am Morning Prayer
10.00am Sung Communion
5.00pm Evening Prayer
5.30pm Holy Communion

Hopefully, the bulk of the folk - i.e. two-thirds of the half of ASA that can be bothered to turn out on Ascension Day - will turn out for the 10.00am. This has been the pattern the last few years, but they like to surprise me.

I would imagine that a lot of parishes will either transfer to Sunday, even though the bishops have not given permission for that in our jurisdiction, or have a quiet Eucharist about 7.30pm.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:

The UK is on of the few (the only?) European countries not to have a public holiday on Ascension Day. Even secular France does.

Well, you can't deny a Frenchman the opportunity to faire le pont, can you?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:

Might this be your people's way of telling you that they'd rather you transferred to Sunday? I get why people like the 10-day period from Ascension to Pentecost, but liturgy isn't about precise historical mimesis of timing (if it was, every mass would have to be in the evening).
No. It's these particular churches' way of saying, if it's not on a Sunday morning it's purely optional and therefore not important, and therefore not on the radar. [Big Grin]

Despite the fact I usually sit quite lightly to liturgical fascism - Ascension is 40 days after Easter come what may. I don't move Christmas Day or Good Friday/Holy Week observances for the same reason. I'm all for making the sabbath fit man, but once in a while it's a genuinelly good thing for congregations to be encouraged to see their church worship participation as something outside of an hour's activity on Sunday mornings. Even if only once or twice a year. Not a huge ask, surely.

It's also quite ironic if there is an expectation that anything 'churchy' has to happen on a Sunday, considering a lot of threads discussing making worship available usually throw out the line at some stage that 'worship doesn't have to be on a Sunday, does it?'

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have a Mass, though it might be just God and me...

Still, Happy Ascension Day everyone!

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
I have my choice of Church of the Advent, Beacon Hill and All Saints, Ashmont. Goooood tiiiiiiimes.

Choices ? Choices ? One Lucky Man.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't transfer feasts to Sundays. Besides which, the Sunday after Ascension has its own propers.

Low Mass at 7, even if it's just me and the server. That's how I roll.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Secondary school came over from their annual Ascension day Eucharist today, get on for 1000 of them. Handful at our usual lunchtime Eucharist with prayers for healing. About to go over for evening Eucharist. I guess 40 or so.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Comper's Child:
Solemn High with Procession and yes, though we're a bit reformed, the Extinguishing of the Paschal Candle. [Big Grin]

Same here, except that we are quite unreformed. We will also have a light reception afterward.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Priest, server, thurifer, five other chaps and one 12-year old lad at our 730pm Solemn Low Mass With Hymns And Incense (i.e. an all-male congregation - and Father did remember to say 'Pray, my brothers, that my sacrifice etc.').

About half-a-dozen of the Usual Suspects are at Walsingham, so it was quite a good turn-out......

Ian J.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twenty five folk all told from across the Team, including eight choir, one organist and five altar party, so only twelve real people. Bell ringers rang a quarter peal beforehand. And no rockets due to dreadfully stormy weather [Waterworks] . I am minded to launch them on Sunday morning, but it's not the same.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone ever experienced anything "unusual" for this day?

Once at Chester College a service took place on top of one of the blocks.

Chester Cathedral saw two outdoor Masses for this day when I was there, once at the back (therefore up a few stairs) and once in Abbey Square (more in the public sphere, and again, up a few stairs).

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
25 came to a lunchtime BCP with hymns, and 49 to a 7.30 pm Sung Eucharist. I had forgotten how much I love "Hail the Day that sees Him rise."
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Lutheran congregaton is celebrating Ascension on Sunday.

I visited an Episcopal place tonight. Including the altar party of three, there were five of us in attendance. No sermon, spoken Rite 2 done right. 19 minutes total. No music, but plenty of merry noise. It was glorious.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grand total of 11 individuals at Ascension Day services though the total was actually higher due the twicers and thricers. We ended up with 5 at MP; 10 at Sung HC; and 2 in the evening. To make matters worse, three of the usual suspects are out of action, a couple were out of town, and none of the 'iffies' showed. In short the total attendance was not quite one-third of ASA.

The parish seems to have a fairly well entrenched pattern of Sundays plus Christmas (Eve), Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Maundy Thursday, All Saints, and Ascension, in that order, are the also rans. Reminds me a lot of the Church of Ireland in my youth [brick wall]

PD

[ 10. May 2013, 03:15: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Church of the Advent, Beacon Hill had a goodly crowd of a few dozen. Not bad, considering the stormy weather.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I attended a midday mass at a church that was having a full choral mass in the evening.

I didn't count but the chapel was full, about 25 people.

Much as I admire hart, he's wrong and Anselmina is right. The Ascension is not an historic event but a profound theological insight. (If it was an event, John's gospel seems to locate it later on Easter Day.)

Celebrating it on the Thursday is not an historic reenactment, but staying in line with two millenia of Christian tradition.

There may be good pastoral reasons for keeping it on Sunday, nonetheless, and I'm not condemning that.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I attended Choral Eucharist in our local cathedral and the congregation was almost outnumbered by the choir and clergy. Not helped I suppose by being advertised on the website as 17.30 in the Lady Chapel whereas in fact it started at 17.15 at the high altar.

It was a very lack-lustre affair with a gloomy musical setting and only one well-known Ascension hymn. But other peoples' MMV. It was good to be there nevertheless.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Father did remember to say 'Pray, my brothers, that my sacrifice etc.').

Well, if one is going to use gender-nonspecific language, one ought to use it regardless of the gender of those present.

'Brethren' was fine over the years to signify 'men and women.' Certainly 'sisters and brothers' or 'brothers and sisters' is apposite when it appears only males are present. Except perhaps in a monastic setting.

What is this recent obsession with Finzi?!

[ 10. May 2013, 10:53: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I managed to get out of bed for the outdoor early morning service in a ruined castle. There were 20-25 people and 1 dog, and the singing was accompanied by birdsong. An unusual and rewarding experience.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Why in a ruined castle?

Oh - and the obsession with Finzi is coz he is A Great Composer.......

Ian J.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Father did remember to say 'Pray, my brothers, that my sacrifice etc.').

Well, if one is going to use gender-nonspecific language, one ought to use it regardless of the gender of those present.
That doesn't make any sense to me. I try to say what I mean and mean what I say, which means that if I'm referring to men and women I'll either use both genders or a neutral term, but if it's just men I'm talking about or just women, I'll just use one.

At the seminary, we often have an all-made crowd for Mass, so "Pray, brothers," if there are women "pray, my brothers and sisters." What I'm always impressed by is when the presider notices a sole woman and says "pray, my brothers and sister."

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Something mildly interesting I noticed yesterday. We had two readings. The first was the first chapter or so of Acts. The second was the last chapter or so of Luke. So if you hold on to the tradition that Acts is a continuation of Luke, it was a bit like watching the Battle of Hoth scene from Empire, followed by the destruction of the Death Star scene from New Hope. (I told you it was only mildly interesting.)

We had pretty good turn out, but Thursday is our regular evensong evening, so it was mostly the Evensong regulars- I don't know how many people made a special appearance. The music went well, although I did get a slight look from the person next to me when I whispered a "two" too loudly while counting off notes on the Gibbons- even one of the best singers in our choir admitted that he has to count under his breath to keep his place in that one. There's so much going on, I doubt anyone in the congregation notices.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Something mildly interesting I noticed yesterday. We had two readings. The first was the first chapter or so of Acts. The second was the last chapter or so of Luke. So if you hold on to the tradition that Acts is a continuation of Luke, it was a bit like watching the Battle of Hoth scene from Empire, followed by the destruction of the Death Star scene from New Hope. (I told you it was only mildly interesting.)

We had pretty good turn out, but Thursday is our regular evensong evening, so it was mostly the Evensong regulars- I don't know how many people made a special appearance. The music went well, although I did get a slight look from the person next to me when I whispered a "two" too loudly while counting off notes on the Gibbons- even one of the best singers in our choir admitted that he has to count under his breath to keep his place in that one. There's so much going on, I doubt anyone in the congregation notices.

Our first reading was the ascension of Elijah, but the preacher pointed out that Luke reports the ascension of Jesus twice- just like seeing the last scene of the first movie in a sequel.

--------------------

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As much as I hate to admit it, I think it may be time for TEC to consider moving Ascension to the Sunday following, as the Romans and Lutherans do.

In Vanuatu, Ascension Day is a public holiday and every church is full, even the Presbyterian and Pentecostal, but in the US, one life-long Episcopalian told me she was asked by a convert of several years:

Convert of ten years: "What is this Ascension Thursday?"
Life longer: "I have no idea."

We had 8, which in a tiny church in a small town, isn't bad.

Our people really do need teaching. Everything is an opportunity.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
John's gospel seems to locate it later on Easter Day.

So does Luke.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by leo:

It was gorgeous:

Coelos ascendit hodie - Stanford
Mass setting: James McMillan
Ascendens Christus in altum -Vioctoria.

Poor turnout though - 57 people.

We had that 'last gospel' thing as well - actually from Acts about how the disciples went home afterwards and awaited the Spirit.

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
57 sounds good. We had 44 communicants, not sure of total, 18 girls in choir, but don't know how many are communicants. We ended under west window and heard great commission

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016