homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hymns and Propers: (Like the taco shell commercial) Why Can't We Have Both?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Hymns and Propers: (Like the taco shell commercial) Why Can't We Have Both?
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why can't we just make it the norm to have both chanted or sung Propers, in the vernacular or language if your choice, at the introit, offertory and communion, in addition to hymns at the opening procession, offertory, communion, and at the end? I would also add sung Leonine prayers but I guess you don't have to [Smile] . Would this work at all in the rubrics if the various communions?
BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

- Posted      Profile for BulldogSacristan   Email BulldogSacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can't? We do at my parish. We chant all the minor propers in English. Then we have hymns at the entrance, offertory, and exit. Sometimes, randomly, there will be one between the gospel and sermon.
Posts: 197 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can think of a few churches that chant the propers (but done by the choir in Latin) and also have hymns.
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BulldogSacristan:
You can't? We do at my parish. We chant all the minor propers in English. Then we have hymns at the entrance, offertory, and exit. Sometimes, randomly, there will be one between the gospel and sermon.

So do we.

That's uncommon in the RCC, though; you get either the minor propers at the traddy places, or hymns--excuse me, SONGS--most everywhere else.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In guess my main concern is whether it is allowed according to the GIRM or whatever liturgy rules other churches follow.
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

It is also worth discussing whether it is a good idea or not. Does it confuse people used to something different ? (in many RCC church visitors are always a significant part of the congregation) I think it should only be done if the congregation participates in chanting/signing both the Propers and the hymns. If the choir adds harmonies, that is ok. Polyphony should only be done if if allows for congregational participation. The Propers are meant to be an integral part of the liturgy prayed by the entire worshipping assembly. I don't think they should be replaced with hymns but they can be supplement Ed with hymns if it is allowed. They should not be performed by musical and liturgical experts only. That will upset many people with deep attachments to settings of the Propers tha are hard for an average person in the pews to participate in!
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
It is also worth discussing whether it is a good idea or not. Does it confuse people used to something different ? (in many RCC church visitors are always a significant part of the congregation) I think it should only be done if the congregation participates in chanting/signing both the Propers and the hymns. If the choir adds harmonies, that is ok. Polyphony should only be done if if allows for congregational participation. The Propers are meant to be an integral part of the liturgy prayed by the entire worshipping assembly. I don't think they should be replaced with hymns but they can be supplement Ed with hymns if it is allowed. They should not be performed by musical and liturgical experts only. That will upset many people with deep attachments to settings of the Propers tha are hard for an average person in the pews to participate in!

I agree with you in theory, but in practice in most English RC churches, no-one seems to sing the hymns or join in with Responsorial Psalm so will they really attempt the propers?
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

I have been to places where they have gotten the congregation to chant the ordinary of the mass in Latin and sing with at least some volume on the hymns. They are a small congregation near a university and have a pofessilnal choir to back them up.

The congregation will sing hymns (or at least a quarter of them will - which is really impressive for an RC church) if you use familiar hymn tunes and have a cantor or choir miked loud so that people aren't worried that their neighbors will hear them sing. Loud mikeing also makes it less likely tha people will be annoyed that their neighbors' singing prevents them from hearing the cantor or choir.

For congregational Propers to work you need to have a liter se if simple chant tones, do them in the vernacular, and do them often and regularly enough at all Sunday Masses (and not just the one near noon) so that people get used to them.

stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

Oops I meant you had to have a limited set of simple chant tones, not a limo se or whatever I wrote.
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

The most joyful singing I have heard in an English RC service is the Missa De Angelis setting, and the Salve Regina. Our local RC church now has 2 unaccompanied masses with hymns and participation is far better than the main service where the cantor booms and waves quite manically!
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, you don't have to be making noise in order to pray.

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:
Originally posted by BulldogSacristan:

So do we.
It's what we do at Our Lady of Hardwork, too. And, just because I'm an annoying one-upper, I'll add that the choir sings the gospel proper, too.

It causes indigestion for some. When do I cross myself for the beginning of the mass: At the incipit for the Introit, Or when the celebrant announces, "Blessed be God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit!" Be excessive Anglocatholics and do both.

[ 12. May 2013, 00:29: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my old RC parish I used to sing in the chior. In the NO masses the propers were chanted either in Latin or Finnish. There was usually a hymn during the Communion after the proper had been sung. Under no circumstances do I believe that hymns should replace propers.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
In my old RC parish I used to sing in the chior. In the NO masses the propers were chanted either in Latin or Finnish. There was usually a hymn during the Communion after the proper had been sung. Under no circumstances do I believe that hymns should replace propers.

Somebody told me, and I don't know whether it is true, that the GIRM or Musicum Sacram only allows either one or the other but not both. If that's the case it is hardly surprising that congregational vernacular propers are as rare as a hen's tooth. I have never heard them in Italy, Spain, Poland or Germany nor in the Uk - but I would quite like to.
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure how you can have the congregation participating in the propers. The propers are usually too complicated to sing, except by the choir alone, whether in Latin or the vernacular.

[ 12. May 2013, 12:27: Message edited by: Ad Orientem ]

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not sure how you can have the congregation participating in the propers. The propers are usually too complicated to sing, except by the choir alone, whether in Latin or the vernacular.

Interesting to note that the 1965 Missal, or some hand-sized editions of it, anyway, had the propers "pointed" for antiphonal or responsive recitation or chanting. The Maryknoll Missal is one such. But like many aspects of the 1965 rite, it never took off.
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

By "Propers" I mean the text in any language, so congregational chanting or singing of them in the vernacular could be to a tone or melody that was easy for the people to sing - it does not need to be to the neumes in the graduale, which is in Latin anyway.
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

quote:

A set has been published in English intended, I thought, for congregational use. These were simple chant tones that got traditionalists very excited, with comments about the death of the hymn,but no sign of them in any church I have visited.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not the ones at the back of the old English Hymnal - same tune every week.

We all used to sing them at my church back in the day.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

When I was in the chior we always used the Graduale. Even in the vernacular translations we still used the chants as in the Graduale. Unfortunately a much unused liturgical book in many, if not most, RC parishes.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stpnespring

You will find the Propers in English in a little book called An English Gradual. Can't think who the publishers are but if you have trouble finding a copy try St Mary's Convent in Wantage...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to have a small choir sing the minor propers in out main Sunday Eucharist. Two or better still three cantors is all it takes. Unfortunately I have not twisted the correct arms yet to get a positive response. If that were to happen the first hymn would cover the entry of the ministers, the Introit the censing of the altar and so on and so forth. I think we might end up moving the hymns around a little but even with the minor propers in place one can still use three hymns - procession, before the sermon/after communion, and as the altar party runs for it.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We generally have both! Hymn during the entrance, Introit during the incensation of the altar. Offertory chant right after the prayers of the people, then a hymn. Communion antiphon (with psalm verses) after the celebrant receives communion until the ablutions, then a hymn. The only time it does'nt work well is when the entrance hymn isn't timed right/is too long.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
And, just because I'm an annoying one-upper, I'll add that the choir sings the gospel proper, too.

It causes indigestion for some. When do I cross myself for the beginning of the mass: At the incipit for the Introit, Or when the celebrant announces, "Blessed be God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit!" Be excessive Anglocatholics and do both.

Oh, we sing the Gradual & Alleluia (or Tract in Lent, or double Alleluia in Eastertide) as well.

But since we use the 1928 BCP/American Missal, there is no public invocation at the beginning of the Eucharist, so the signing is at the Introit.

--------------------

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Stonespring, I'm afraid this reflects a very post-V2 concept of the music of the Eucharist (and is, in fact, verging on Pelagianism!).
From their beginning, what we term the 'minor propers' were sung by folk specially appointed to do so, in fact Gregory set up a schola to sing the graduals when they got too complicated for his deacons! Other bits (Offertory & Communio) were sung while there was much moving about
I think the idea behind the *Lets all sing everything* was an attempt to force the faithful to use the (pardon the word) Missalette!
And certainly both Pope Marcellus and Pope Pius X would disagree with you about polyphony.

Just my opinion of course!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All this is way beyond me.

I am a simple-minded Methodist inister.

I use hymns to elaborate the theme of the service and to include those aspects which might otherwise be lacking.

Seems to me that people are advocating the use of hymns for all sorts of other reasons.

Lord have mercy on me. I am an ignormamus it seems

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

Does Pelagianism mean something other the the idea that people can merit their salvation by following Hrist's moral example? I am guessing the alternate meaning is that the congregation offers the Eucharist in the same way as there celebrating priest(s)? If so then no, I do not believe either of those things.

I am not sure of what Vatican II said about congregational participation in Propers. I know it urged congregational participation in the ordinary of the Mass (Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei), sung on Sundays at least when possible, and that they know the Latin of the Ordinary without having to use it all the time. Comparing things to before V-II is not helpful since there were no rules for congregational singing of the parts of the Mass itself before it.

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
All this is way beyond me.

I am a simple-minded Methodist inister.

I use hymns to elaborate the theme of the service and to include those aspects which might otherwise be lacking.

Seems to me that people are advocating the use of hymns for all sorts of other reasons.

Lord have mercy on me. I am an ignormamus it seems

And Sam Ervin was jus' a simple country lawyer, Shamwari, you ole fox you.

The minor propers are, in fact, "hymns to elaborate the theme of the service and to include those aspects which might otherwise be lacking." Although saying, 'the theme' may be pushing it a bit.

Their texts may be old, but they are predominantly quotes from scripture (or elaboration on scripture).

I'm not sure what other reasons you see being advocated, but they are all sung to the praise and glory of almighty God.

Despite your false modesty, Shamwari, we still love you.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every Methodist service I've ever been to has been chock full of random scriptural sentences here and there. I'd take an official set schedule of them any day over the pastor's (or more often random church liturgy writer's) personal preferences.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why can't we just make it the norm to have both chanted or sung Propers, in the vernacular or language if your choice, at the introit, offertory and communion, in addition to hymns at the opening procession, offertory, communion, and at the end?

1) It would make the service too long for some people's taste.

2) If you use a lectionary in which the major propers (Collect, Epistle, and Holy Gospel) have been totally revised, perhaps on a three-year cycle, then either you continue using the minor propers as set up centuries ago, or you DIY your own reordering, trying to make them migrate along with the biblical readings they originally accompanied. Either way, it looks suspiciously like stirring the bathwater after the baby has disappeared.

I love the minor propers myself, partly for their musical value. Here lies the real meat of the Gregorian chant repertoire, and composers of figured music (as it used to be called) have done a great deal to adorn them as well, ever since. But unless we turn our backs on all new lectionaries, their use nowadays raises some unprecedented issues.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Quam Dilecta
Shipmate
# 12541

- Posted      Profile for Quam Dilecta   Email Quam Dilecta       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sheer variety of the Proper texts would make it difficult for most congregations to sing them, let alone chant them well. (It has already been pointed out that they have been the province of the choir since time immemorial.) Even if only a limited range of Tones is used, sight reading different texts each week requires a level of musical literacy found only in exceptional parishes. The feebleness of most efforts at congregational Psalm-chanting does not encourage optimism where the Propers are concerned.

--------------------
Blessd are they that dwell in thy house

Posts: 406 | From: Boston, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think every Anglo-Catholic shack I've ever been to has done both the chanted propers in either English or Latin, and hymns at the points in the service one typically has them.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

Why not just sing the Propers to a well
Known hymn tune? Not every mass with music even has a choir. Most catholic parishes on Sunday have one or no choral masses and some masses just with a cantor and at times a few masses with either no music or just whatever the congregation can sing on their own unaccompanied. Universally known hymn tunes are the only way to get even a tenth of the congregation to sing in such cases.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone thought to put the propers into common meter?

If they are then your suggestion would work.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

- Posted      Profile for LA Dave         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our parish choir routinely chants the Introit and Communio, in Latin, to Gregorian settings. The congo joins us for the entrance hymn and (generally) a hymn during the preparation of the altar and sometimes a hymn during communion. Yesterday, the men of the choir were pleased to chant all of the propers for the vigil of Pentecost, led by Maestro Paul Salamunovich, former conductor of the Los Angeles Master Chorale and retired choir director at St. Charles Borromeo parish, North Hollywood.
Posts: 981 | From: Take a guess | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

I was not at my usual parish for Pentecost and at their 5:30 pm service they had the cl gregarious chant a simple vernacular introit and communio, with psalm verses chnated by a cantor in between the antiphons. The ordinary except for the creed was also chanted in the vernacular, Sanctus and Agnus Dei I the requiem setting everyone knows (that can be technically classified as something other than a requiem setting so it is not depressing), and the Glora was from a setting I did not know (it was not the Missa de Angelis). The Vidi Aquam (in place of the Kyrie) was chanted in Latin by the cantor alone, as was the offertory chant. The sequence Veni Sancte Spiritus was chanted by the cantor alone although a few brave souls tried to join in. After communion the congregation chanted Veni Creator Spiritus and that was the only hymn being used separate from the material in the missal and gradual. No music whatsoever after the blessing an dismissal. It was very solemn and peaceful but the congregational participation was not huge (although pretty impressive for an a Capella chanted Mass with neumes in the handouts instead of modern musical notation). It probably helped that it was a university parish in a wealthy urban neighborhood that tends to attract traditional diehards and zealous students. Not sure if this could be done at a typical neighborhood parish in this liberal city with a large Spanish speaking community that is even less used to chant than the English speaking community.
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
quote:
Why can't we just make it the norm to have both chanted or sung Propers, in the vernacular or language if your choice, at the introit, offertory and communion, in addition to hymns at the opening procession, offertory, communion, and at the end?

1) It would make the service too long for some people's taste.

2) If you use a lectionary in which the major propers (Collect, Epistle, and Holy Gospel) have been totally revised, perhaps on a three-year cycle, then either you continue using the minor propers as set up centuries ago, or you DIY your own reordering, trying to make them migrate along with the biblical readings they originally accompanied. Either way, it looks suspiciously like stirring the bathwater after the baby has disappeared.

I love the minor propers myself, partly for their musical value. Here lies the real meat of the Gregorian chant repertoire, and composers of figured music (as it used to be called) have done a great deal to adorn them as well, ever since. But unless we turn our backs on all new lectionaries, their use nowadays raises some unprecedented issues.

This isn't really an issue, the post-Vatican II Roman Gradual follows the three year lectionary and has appropriate references to the gospel of the day/other readings in the propers of the mass.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016